MSI P6N SLI-FI / Platinum (650i) Thread

OK thanks for the info I guess being scared about 1.3V is silly with liquid on my NB lol. Is your South Bridge stock FI cooling, stock Platinum cooling, or 3rd party? I've got stock FI so that's what has me concerned. it does get quite hot when touching it. No room in there for a waterblock :(

All stock cooling except for the cpu of course.

All stock cooling except for the cpu of course.

wow even on the north bridge? If you touch it does it burn you? I tried it at 1500fsb on stock northbridge and I burned my finger pretty bad just touching it. That's when I went liquid on my northbridge.

My eyes are burning just looking at this clock speed :cool:

Bio, could you please show us what temps your hitting with that setup and maybe show us a pic or describe your cooling setup? This is an impressive fsb esp if you can keep it stable and cool.

Here's a pic of how my rig is setup for cooling.

101jh9.jpg

I don't have a screenie of the 3.7 temps, but here's one of it running full load at 3.6.
The coretemp reads 15c low, but the PC Alert reads the correct temp IAW the latest CoreTemp beta (0.95.4).

e675036lf7.jpg

I'm not quite sure if this board has a FSB hole at 1600 -16xx. Just for kicks I decided to do away with 1600 FSB (just about impossible) and tried 1700 FSB (425Mhz). Seems to work so far, now running pretty well at 3.4Ghz, up from my previous 3.0Ghz (1500 FSB).

According to CPU-Z voltage is at 1.368, mem at 398 (running mem linked, 4-4-4-12), and 3400Mhz. Ran Super Pi, no errors.

I'll run some more tests to test stability.

My Fi board has a FSB hole at 1600 to 1650. I haven't had a problem at any other FSB settings with my E6750 on the Fi board.

I've got the E6420 on liquid along with my northbridge on liquid. Currently I'm running 3.1ghz with a 1550FSB. I tried to go 1600 and even after setting my northbridge to 1.3V it was still not orthos stable (booted up but froze at orthos). What northbridge/southbridge voltage is everyone running at these 1650+ overclocks? My southbridge is on stock cooling because I can't fit a block to put it in my water loop due to my 8800 being in the way :(

My NB voltage at 1600 FSB is 1.325v with no heat issues, SB is at stock voltage at that FSB.

My NB is at 1.45v at 1800 FSB and the SB is at 1.55, again, no heat related issues.

Again a shot of my NB cooler.

91kc3.jpg

OK I've got my FSB up to 1670mhz with 0.025V cpu, 1.35NB, and stock SB, but when I bump it up to 1700 it is unstable. I even tried 1700 with 1.4NB and 1.55SB and it still wasn't orthos stable. I didn't try core voltage over 0.025 could that be the problem? Any suggestions? What is the vtt voltage in % refer to??

Also would upgrading my 2.0 BIOS to 2.3 do anything?

Thanks! (water on NB and cpu, fan on SB)

OK I've got my FSB up to 1670mhz with 0.025V cpu, 1.35NB, and stock SB, but when I bump it up to 1700 it is unstable. I even tried 1700 with 1.4NB and 1.55SB and it still wasn't orthos stable. I didn't try core voltage over 0.025 could that be the problem? Any suggestions? What is the vtt voltage in % refer to??

Also would upgrading my 2.0 BIOS to 2.3 do anything?

Thanks! (water on NB and cpu, fan on SB)

I have the latest BIOS if that helps. Also, try running your memory in linked mode to see if it helps. Try one more bump in vcore. I also have vtt at 2%.

I have the latest BIOS if that helps. Also, try running your memory in linked mode to see if it helps. Try one more bump in vcore. I also have vtt at 2%.

OK I'll try those and see if they help. Since my last post I've discovered 1670 was not stable, but with a cpu bump it seems to have fixed that so maybe 1700 will work now too :) I'll try linked mode however that will be exceeding my memory specifications so I may not want to do that (memory OC'ing is for next week LOL) What exactly is the vtt%? What does it refer to?

hi i just got this board refurbed from newegg have a few problems/ questions
sli-fi with celeron 420
supertalent ddr667
350w crap psu

1) any way to update bios with out floppy? i dont have one
2) my usb and ps2 doesnt work (hoping flashing helps using front panel usb ports)
3) in my overclock cell menu the voltages cant be accesed (hope bios helps with that too?)

sli-fi with celeron 420
supertalent ddr667
350w crap psu

2) my usb and ps2 doesnt work (hoping flashing helps using front panel usb ports)
3) in my overclock cell menu the voltages cant be accesed (hope bios helps with that too?)

1) I believe you can do it on a USB stick if you have a dos startup on it.
2) If it's only the front panel, it's possible your case has a mis-ordered plug that goes into the board. Sometimes case makers aren't very careful of that. If it's all of them, and for the PS2, try doing a bios reset. Just unplug it and hold down the little button under the clock battery for a while and that should do the trick :)
3) The bios reset may help with that, if not IDK what to tell you about this one.

My NB voltage at 1600 FSB is 1.325v with no heat issues, SB is at stock voltage at that FSB.

My NB is at 1.45v at 1800 FSB and the SB is at 1.55, again, no heat related issues.

91kc3.jpg

When I try to set my SB to 1.55, it is AFTER 1.7, and appears a grey color when selected. Does this mean it's not active? Whats up with that?

91kc3.jpg

Hi, did you used any e4xxx, on that mother?
If you try, how much FSB did you got up?
Thanks
And nice cooling :eek::D

Yup, a E4300 was my first C2D I owned, at one point I had the highest OC in the [H] CPU data base for E4300's using this board. My highest FSB with any CPU was 1850 (quad pumped) and the highest with my E4300 was 1650 (quad pumped) for a max OC of 3.712 GHz.

sli-fi with celeron 420
supertalent ddr667
350w crap psu

Do a search in the MoBo section for making a boot USB drive, there's a complete how-to on creating one. There's also some info here in this thread on the same subject, USB is all I ever use to flash my bios.

If you go over to MSI forums there's also a thread and utility for creating a boot USB drive and flashing your bios with it.

I'm not sure, but there might be a link to this in the first post of this thread as well.

http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=108079.0

There is also a live update online tool that allows you to update through Windows, I've never used it before and haven't a clue as to how it works, I always flash my bios through DOS, it's the safest method IMHO.

http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=downloadfile&dno=4862&type=utility

Here's my current OC setup. I've got it up to 3.45ghz with water on my cpu and north bridge.

oc.jpg

Linked Mem
0.0750V CPU Boost
1.95V RAM
1.4V NB
1.5V Stock SB
2% VTT

I can't get it up to 1750FSB even if I give the NB 1.45V and the cpu 0.0875V. Anyone have any tips for going higher or have I just maxed out my E6420?

More volts on the vcore, NB and you might want to try a bump to the SB as well.

To monitor your temps, you might want to try getting the newest version of CoreTemp and when stressing the CPU you can get the newest version of Prime95 (25.3) with built in support for multi cores and run it small FFT's mode for maximum CPU loading/stress.

Yup, a E4300 was my first C2D I owned, at one point I had the highest OC in the [H] CPU data base for E4300's using this board. My highest FSB with any CPU was 1850 (quad pumped) and the highest with my E4300 was 1650 (quad pumped) for a max OC of 3.712 GHz.

Really nice FSB, did was stable on Orthos on small FFTs ?
What was the max FSB stable on orthos with the e4300, and wich values did you used on the vCore, North, South and FSB VTT %.

Because I'm actually traped at 3472mhz stables on orthos, y pass more than 2 hours, with this config:
Msi p6n sli-fi
e4300 @ 3472 @ +0.1875, that was 1.5125, but it have a vDroop of 0.05v, so the 1.5125 was 1.46v Real
North at 1,50v
South at 1.50v
FSB VTT at 4%
Cooling TT bigtyp 120 VX + ASCeramique (today i'll go to buy some things for lapping)
The temps passing orthos stays constant between 74-75º Celcius

I tried to do 3.5ghz but I can't, even with 3501mhz at 1.55v on bios, that would be with the vDroop 1.50v
North at 1.50
South at 1.70
FSBVTT at 20%

I have 2 sticks of OCZ Platinum Rev2 800, at 2.25v at ddr2 950 unlinked at 5-4-4-16-20-2T, the memories wasnt the problem, I tested with a lot of softwares, and always pass all the tests

So what you think it could be the problem?

People with fsb over 350 or even 400 what bios did you use for your platinum? 1.4 sucks 1200 seems to be the cap and i aint going nowhere higher. Help!

People with fsb over 350 or even 400 what bios did you use for your platinum? 1.4 sucks 1200 seems to be the cap and i aint going nowhere higher. Help!

If you're using a Q6600 with this board and want to go higher than 1200FSB you need to raise your VTT to at least 12%. (or go back to BIOS version 1.1, but remember BIOS 1.1 has 4GB ram issues)

i think ill give 1.1 a try first given that i have an e4400. I just dont get it as to why i cannot go over the 1200fsb =/

I use Version 2.3. Have you tried simply bypassing 1200FSB and moving on to say 1300FSB? Maybe there is a FSB hole somewhere?

yeah ive been constantly bypassing certain values. What voltages do you suggest should i put on whilst doing this? I just want to get somewhere round 1400 fsb which i think would be great enough.And should i go with link or manual while doing it?

yeah ive been constantly bypassing certain values. What voltages do you suggest should i put on whilst doing this? I just want to get somewhere round 1400 fsb which i think would be great enough.And should i go with link or manual while doing it?

I can run 1475 on stock voltage across the board, but every processor is different. I'm running a B2 E6420. As for link/manual, link is usually better for overclocking, but keep in mind you can start to overclock your ram if you're not careful about the math. A 1400FSB is 700mhz ram (1/2 the quad rate fsb). Just fine on DDR2-800. Even on DDR2-667 that small of an overclock is probably fine, but just realize you're OC'ing your ram. If you want to go significantly higher than your ram rating, you'll need to use manual ram clocks unless your ram is capable of extreme overclocking. Hope that helps you out :)

Do you think a weak power supply can cause bad OC??? Although i highly doubt that as i can OC up to 1200fsb without any voltage modifications whatsoever and ran stable under prime and orthos. Or maybe its just a matter of having a bad board?

Do you think a weak power supply can cause bad OC??? Although i highly doubt that as i can OC up to 1200fsb without any voltage modifications whatsoever and ran stable under prime and orthos. Or maybe its just a matter of having a bad board?

What power supply do you have? I have mine hooked up to an APC line conditioner, which may or may not help...who knows. Leave your memory in linked mode and default settings. Try 1.4 or greater NB voltage, SB voltage should remain the same, Vtt @2%, and CPU (at least read through CPU-Z) at 1.35. These are the settings I have.

Also do not forget to disable C1E, all spread spectrum settings, and speedstep.
Note: my memory in linked mode runs at DDR 796, although to compensate I run it at 4-4-4-12, 1T and 2.2v.

im currently using an xpro power supply at 500w. I will try disabling what youve said as ive never done thoise, hopefully those are the magic buttons. ill try bios 2.3 if i can find it anywhere, do you think 1.4 is as good as 2.3 in terms of clocking? Or should i revert to 1.3/1.2 as i dont really plan on using 4gb sticks

Oh well, im gonna call it quits for this motherboard. Tried lowering the multi to see if its the cpu holding back, but its getting pretty obvious that it is indeed the motherboard holding me down. Oh well, time to sell this and get something else like a gigabyte/asus/abit. Ive tried all possible fsbs with increments of 5 mhz from 1200 to 1600 and nothing at all... Its just 1200fsb uber stable.. and then at 1210 it wont even post. I wouldnt even dare doing 1700 as the voltages and the heat produced would just blow this mobo up. Ive even done a manual to make sure the ram isnt holding me back. Even linked it up to my bros 700watt psu... lol its a case of bad luck.

Anyway, thanks a lot guys for the help.

Oh well, im gonna call it quits for this motherboard. Tried lowering the multi to see if its the cpu holding back, but its getting pretty obvious that it is indeed the motherboard holding me down. Oh well, time to sell this and get something else like a gigabyte/asus/abit. Ive tried all possible fsbs with increments of 5 mhz from 1200 to 1600 and nothing at all... Its just 1200fsb uber stable.. and then at 1210 it wont even post. I wouldnt even dare doing 1700 as the voltages and the heat produced would just blow this mobo up. Ive even done a manual to make sure the ram isnt holding me back. Even linked it up to my bros 700watt psu... lol its a case of bad luck.

Anyway, thanks a lot guys for the help.

Did you try raising the VTT to 12%?

I have been thinking about OC'ing my new system for a while now. Over this past weekend I had some free time, so I decieded to get started on it.

Just to let you know, this was my first attempted at overclocking my Conroe (and OC'ing in general). My goals were to sqeeze a few more mhz out of my cpu, while obviously keeping it rock solid.

Here are the settings:

I did all the recommend setting from the first page of this thread.
C1E - disabled
EIST - disabled
D.O.T. - disabled
All Spread Spectrum settings - disabled

Bus speed option - set to Manual

FSB - 333mhz (1333)
CPU Multiplier - 10
Mem Speed - 400mhz (800)
vCore +.0375

Stability:

Orthos Blend Test: 27+ Hours
Orthos Small FFTs: 32+ Hours

c2de6700ocing0601.gif

c2de6700ocing0602.gif

So far so good. Everything seems to be running smoothly.

Ty1er, are you using stock cooling? Just looking at your temps.

No, I'm using a Thermalright 120xp.
The ambient temp in the room is ~25C and it is also pretty humid. With the side of the case off I recorded a peak core temp of 60C, but most of the time it was hovering around ~55C. I'm assuming if the ambient temp were in the low seventies F and no humidity that my load temps would be alot lower.

As a reference, with the PC runing completely stock and with the case closed my idle was low 30s and load (prime95 is always running in the bakcground) around ~52C.

I have been thinking about adding a extra 120mm fan to my case, and also picking up a new HS for my cpu. I just havent deceided on which HS to get as of yet.

No, I'm using a Thermalright 120xp.
The ambient temp in the room is ~25C and it is also pretty humid. With the side of the case off I recorded a peak core temp of 60C, but most of the time it was hovering around ~55C. I'm assuming if the ambient temp were in the low seventies F and no humidity that my load temps would be alot lower.

As a reference, with the PC runing completely stock and with the case closed my idle was low 30s and load (prime95 is always running in the bakcground) around ~52C.

I have been thinking about adding a extra 120mm fan to my case, and also picking up a new HS for my cpu. I just havent deceided on which HS to get as of yet.

Those temps are extremely high. You should consider getting a better cpu heatsink or even going liquid cooling if your climate is too hot and humid. Atleast stop overclocking until you do something. 60C is right on the line of causing damage and overclocking isn't worth it if you're damaging your chip.

I have been thinking about OC'ing my new system for a while now. Over this past weekend I had some free time, so I decieded to get started on it.

Just to let you know, this was my first attempted at overclocking my Conroe (and OC'ing in general). My goals were to sqeeze a few more mhz out of my cpu, while obviously keeping it rock solid.

Here are the settings:

I did all the recommend setting from the first page of this thread.
C1E - disabled
EIST - disabled
D.O.T. - disabled
All Spread Spectrum settings - disabled

Bus speed option - set to Manual

FSB - 333mhz (1333)
CPU Multiplier - 10
Mem Speed - 400mhz (800)
vCore +.0375

Stability:

Orthos Blend Test: 27+ Hours
Orthos Small FFTs: 32+ Hours

Damn, exactly the same settings when i tried to have 1333fsb... over and over and over i dont know if there is any other possible tweak combination to just let my mobo run at this speed.

Did you try raising the VTT to 12%?

yes i did, even wee bit higher all througout hoping that this was the same case as other people who has a quad core. Anyway, good looking board.. too bad i got a bad one

not a chance... my cpu has got a scythe infi lapped... right now at stock its running at 20deg Celsius idle.... and 30 on load. Motherboard i got an 80mm fan blowing on the chipset and on the memory modules. Right now ambient temp of the room is prety cool, chipset is at 28degCelsius. No way can i say my cooling isnt up for a 1333fsb... 1333!!! jeebus i am so unlucky

Back