MSI P6N SLI-FI / Platinum (650i) Thread

I have the fi (non platinum) and I'm wondering about a new heatsink for the north bridge. I have just a few questions

1. Whats the best one that works with this board, and is under $25 (hopefully newegg would have it)?

2. How do I know it's working because there don't appear to be thermal sensors on the chipset chip?

3. Would it let me do overclocking up to 1800fsb or more?

4. Do I have to worry about my southbridge?

Hope that's not too many questions, I'm a noob with custom north bridge stuff lol

I have to use bios version 2.2 or 2.3, I have the new G0 stepping CPU. Both versions seem to perform and clock the same.

Ah, you have the Intel E6750, ok thanks ;) :D

I have the fi (non platinum) and I'm wondering about a new heatsink for the north bridge. I have just a few questions
1. Whats the best one that works with this board, and is under $25 (hopefully newegg would have it)?
2. How do I know it's working because there don't appear to be thermal sensors on the chipset chip?
3. Would it let me do overclocking up to 1800fsb or more?
4. Do I have to worry about my southbridge?
Hope that's not too many questions, I'm a noob with custom north bridge stuff lol

1) I used a cheaper solution, i put a 140mm fan direct to the memories and northbridge, only u$s 8.77 here on Argentine, so is really cheaper and effective, throws 67cfm at 22.1dba, it an Evercool Fan, colour red.
2) Use a thermal couple
3) Hard to do, 1600 possible, 1800, maybe but with very very good cooling on all the components
4) Mine don't go so hot

AND SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH

Sorry to interject but I've read over half the pages in this thread (including the beginning all about the 4GB Ram issues) to no avail. I'm running the 2.22 BIOS, and yet I still can't get 4GB of RAM to work (4 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix 4-4-4-12 2.2v). I saw this asked a few pages back, but it was never really answered:

How do I fill out the page in the BIOS for memory settings? If there were only 5 options (for the 4,4,4,12,2.2) I could figure it out, but there are a bunch and I won't pretend I know what I'm doing in there.

All 4 sticks of RAM are good but when I'm using all 4, the system will hang - sometimes during POST, sometimes a minute into Windows Vista 32. 2 or 3 sticks works fine.

Thermaltake Armor
E6420 C2D
MSI P6N SLI-FI
4GB Crucial Ballistix (4x1)
Geforce XFX 8600 GT XXX 256MB
500 GB Sata II Western Digital HD

All settings are stock - no overclocking...although I'd love to learn and try.

did this problem ever get solved? ... I have the IDENTICAL issue! ... I got a P6N SLI, but my bios most recent update says 1.3 .. and everything works perfectly with 2 sticks fo crucial ballistix, but not with 4, and I've switched out the two different sets and memtested them... separately they work perfectly, but together sometimes I wont get even to start windows, and other times it'll lock up after I have already seen the cursor.

I have the 7350 board model... where would I find new beta bios and stuff like that?

Hi AGAIN, Spanki, i POSTED, 2 pages ago, to put another memories to the list of compatilbles, now I have 2x1gb OCZ, news with my p6n sli-fi
The model are:

OCZ2P800R21G at 800MHz DDR2 CL 4-4-4-15 2.1v
OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Platinum Revision 2
The maximum OC stable was ddr2 950mhz 5-4-4-16 @ 2.25v, on Memset was 5-4-4-16-2T 20-40-6-8-6-7.8us
Tested with:

SuperPi 32M
Orthos
3dMark06
3dMark01Se
Everest, all the benchmarks
PerformanceTest 6.1
ScienceMark 2
Aquamark3
FEAR Performance Test
World in Conflict Benchmark
Sandra Lite XI

If I tried more than 950, for example 951, i've to do cmos clear, even at 2.45v, so the maximum stable, I think limited by the chipset, because I seen reviews from this same memories doing ddr2 1050 with p965, was the ddr2 950 tested 100% STABLE, on all that tests

Bye

did this problem ever get solved? ... I have the IDENTICAL issue! ... I got a P6N SLI, but my bios most recent update says 1.3 .. and everything works perfectly with 2 sticks fo crucial ballistix, but not with 4, and I've switched out the two different sets and memtested them... separately they work perfectly, but together sometimes I wont get even to start windows, and other times it'll lock up after I have already seen the cursor.

I have the 7350 board model... where would I find new beta bios and stuff like that?

Unfortunately.....no. I am so frustrated. I was having the problem with Vista 32, switched to Vista 64 and it's the same...although I FEEL like I can't even boot to Windows while I was sometimes able to get in and try running the "User Experience Index" tool before it would freeze up on me with 32 bit Vista.

Good to know that it's not worth my time to get the 1.3 BIOS...no wait...Mine's also the FI board but I think the newest BIOS for the FIs is 2.3, not 1.3. So I'll try that but I seriously don't expect anything to change. PLEASE post if you resolve this.

Also, I'm a little shocked that with all the people reading this thread nobody has posted any kind of instructions on how to fill in the memory settings page in the BIOS. I'd really like to manually post my RAM settings but I don't know how, and I've asked a couple times for help to no avail.

I'd guess it's something about our specific memory, then, because everyone else who I've found with a similar issue fixed it with the Microsoft hotfix.

Hi AGAIN, Spanki, i POSTED, 2 pages ago, to put another memories to the list of compatilbles, now I have 2x1gb OCZ, news with my p6n sli-fi
The model are:
OCZ2P800R21G at 800MHz DDR2 CL 4-4-4-15 2.1v
OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Platinum Revision 2
The maximum OC stable was ddr2 950mhz 5-4-4-16 @ 2.25v, on Memset was 5-4-4-16-2T 20-40-6-8-6-7.8us
Tested with:
SuperPi 32M
Orthos
3dMark06
3dMark01Se
Everest, all the benchmarks
PerformanceTest 6.1
ScienceMark 2
Aquamark3
FEAR Performance Test
World in Conflict Benchmark
Sandra Lite XI

If I tried more than 950, for example 951, i've to do cmos clear, even at 2.45v, so the maximum stable, I think limited by the chipset, because I seen reviews from this same memories doing ddr2 1050 with p965, was the ddr2 950 tested 100% STABLE, on all that tests

Bye

Thanks synxll. The part number you listed (R21G) is for 1GB stick, but the 2x1GB Kit (R22GK) has been listed on the front page for months now.:D

Ah, you have the Intel E6750, ok thanks ;) :D

1) I used a cheaper solution, i put a 140mm fan direct to the memories and northbridge, only u$s 8.77 here on Argentine, so is really cheaper and effective, throws 67cfm at 22.1dba, it an Evercool Fan, colour red.
2) Use a thermal couple
3) Hard to do, 1600 possible, 1800, maybe but with very very good cooling on all the components
4) Mine don't go so hot

AND SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH

Thanks, I might try the fan idea. and what is a Thermal Couple?

Sorry, this may have already been answered but I can't read through the whole 85 page topic.

Is the SLI-Fi shipping with the updated bios to support 4gb now or would I still have to flash it?

Thanks synxll. The part number you listed (R21G) is for 1GB stick, but the 2x1GB Kit (R22GK) has been listed on the front page for months now.:D

I know, but i bought 2 1gb sticks for separate, not on kit, look, the link to OCZ, it;s not the same:
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr2_pc2_6400_platinum_revision_2

By :D

Dude500, a Thermal Couple, maybe I don;t express whell, a thermomether digital, attached at 12v, its goes beetweem the northbrige and heatsink, its slim, 1mm :D

Hello all, I tried search, but this thread is massive now. Has the multi-changing issue with Allendales been solved with a new bios. I dont want to flash for nothing. I can drop my multi after the last flash, but when I get up around 370 fsb it reverts back. I wanna get this ram at its potential, cant even get it to stock speeds 1/1 at my current oc when stuck at a 9 multi. Currently at [email protected].

Hello all, I tried search, but this thread is massive now. Has the multi-changing issue with Allendales been solved with a new bios. I dont want to flash for nothing. I can drop my multi after the last flash, but when I get up around 370 fsb it reverts back. I wanna get this ram at its potential, cant even get it to stock speeds 1/1 at my current oc when stuck at a 9 multi. Currently at [email protected].

I'm afraid I haven't tested that, so I don't know the answer... but you might find this article interesting... it looks like with Core 2 chips, memory speed doesn't really buy you much anyway. Here's the sister article on latency. Notice in the first article, the DDR2-667 was the best performer (running CAS 3) in most cases.

Interesting read, but its reported my Firestix D9 will do 4-4-4-12 timings well into the 900s, so it would still be nice to get more than 780 out of it. I can take it up past the fsb up to around 920, but gains are minimal once you lose 1/1 ratio. I did various tests and concluded that it takes around 50 mhz in speed or more to make up for the loss, otherwise performance is LOST at higher speeds.

Unfortunately.....no. I am so frustrated. I was having the problem with Vista 32, switched to Vista 64 and it's the same...although I FEEL like I can't even boot to Windows while I was sometimes able to get in and try running the "User Experience Index" tool before it would freeze up on me with 32 bit Vista.

Good to know that it's not worth my time to get the 1.3 BIOS...no wait...Mine's also the FI board but I think the newest BIOS for the FIs is 2.3, not 1.3. So I'll try that but I seriously don't expect anything to change. PLEASE post if you resolve this.

Also, I'm a little shocked that with all the people reading this thread nobody has posted any kind of instructions on how to fill in the memory settings page in the BIOS. I'd really like to manually post my RAM settings but I don't know how, and I've asked a couple times for help to no avail.

I'd guess it's something about our specific memory, then, because everyone else who I've found with a similar issue fixed it with the Microsoft hotfix.

Our BIOS are different because I have MSI P6N SLI Plat, you ahve MSI P6N Sli-Fi ... but we do seem to share the same identical issue.

Man, I swear... does ANYONE with an MSI P6N have 4GB of Ram runing? ... could you please put up a detailed spec sheet with your voltage modifications and settings that you changed?

In the morning I'm going to call MSI about it, see if they can help.

I run a P6N Platinum with 4GB Buffalo PC6400 (4x1GB) without issue.

The only thing I've ever had to do is raise the DRAM voltage to 2.1v, which is the spec for these sticks.

Oh yeah and I always set my timings manually (well, the main 5 timing settings). 5-5-5-12 @ 2T for the FSB speeds I usually run at.

Well anyone remember me and a couple other fellas posting before the DB crash about our B3 Q6600's not being able to go above 1199FSB? Remember me saying that I tried all the older BIOS versions in desperation?

Well I must have forgotten about the shipping BIOS (v1.1 for the SLI Platinum) because I got a PM here from Slam telling me that he tried the 1.1 BIOS and it worked, allowing him to easily overclock his quad core past the 1200mhz barrier we had been fighting.

So I just tried it and sure enough - here I sit at over 3ghz (1350/675) where before it wouldn't POST at 1200FSB (2.7ghz) or over. Bad thing is that as some of you may remember the 1.1 BIOS was affected by the infamous 4GB slowdown bug - where when you have 4GB of memory Vista 64-bit would take 5 - 10 minutes to even boot and would act dog slow. Even browsing the web is a slow process.

I'm stoked anyway though... I'm going to try and see if XP x64 will run without the slowdown issue, but if it won't I might just pull out the other 2 sticks of RAM and run 2GB until MSI gets it sorted (or I get a new board).

Thanks for the heads up, Slam!

Glad to hear that you got the issue sort of sorted out, hope MSI gets the rest of your issues sorted in a up coming bios release.

Well anyone remember me and a couple other fellas posting before the DB crash about our B3 Q6600's not being able to go above 1199FSB? Remember me saying that I tried all the older BIOS versions in desperation?

Well I must have forgotten about the shipping BIOS (v1.1 for the SLI Platinum) because I got a PM here from Slam telling me that he tried the 1.1 BIOS and it worked, allowing him to easily overclock his quad core past the 1200mhz barrier we had been fighting.

So I just tried it and sure enough - here I sit at over 3ghz (1350/675) where before it wouldn't POST at 1200FSB (2.7ghz) or over. Bad thing is that as some of you may remember the 1.1 BIOS was affected by the infamous 4GB slowdown bug - where when you have 4GB of memory Vista 64-bit would take 5 - 10 minutes to even boot and would act dog slow. Even browsing the web is a slow process.

I'm stoked anyway though... I'm going to try and see if XP x64 will run without the slowdown issue, but if it won't I might just pull out the other 2 sticks of RAM and run 2GB until MSI gets it sorted (or I get a new board).

Thanks for the heads up, Slam!

Glad to help Blue! I'm seriously considering getting a P35 board though. Even at 3.2ghz, I still feel like my cpu could go higher...and I eventually want to move to 4gb of ram.

Glad to help Blue! I'm seriously considering getting a P35 board though. Even at 3.2ghz, I still feel like my cpu could go higher...and I eventually want to move to 4gb of ram.

:D

This morning I got pissed off enough to stick the extra 2GB back in my machine and flash back to the 1.4 BIOS... I figured I'd just run my Q6600 at 2.7ghz and lower the timings on the memory. But for shits and giggles I tried overclocking past 1200mhz one more time, this time pumping the VTT voltage up to 12% on a whim. And what do you know? It worked!

Here is where I am at sofar:

nox_q6600_ocwith1%2C4bios.png

I had to increase the VTT to at least 12% to boot past 1200FSB.

Right now I'm at 1400FSB (700mhz ram speed) and am using the following settings:

FSB: 1400
Memory: 700
Ratio: Manual

CPU voltage: .10000v
DDR voltage: 2.10 (the default for my Buffalo sticks)
NB voltage: 1.4v
SB voltage: 1.60v
VTT Voltage: 12%

All spread spectrum options disabled

So if you've got a Q6600 (especially the B3) and have been pulling your hair out trying to get the P6N to POST past 1200FSB, try starting with the above settings!

Hey guys, would the SLI-FI be a good board that I could just install all my parts in and get a hassle-free setup? I'm looking for a board where I don't have to do any tweaking to get things running at stock, but I also want some room for overclocking later.

:D

This morning I got pissed off enough to stick the extra 2GB back in my machine and flash back to the 1.4 BIOS... I figured I'd just run my Q6600 at 2.7ghz and lower the timings on the memory. But for shits and giggles I tried overclocking past 1200mhz one more time, this time pumping the VTT voltage up to 12% on a whim. And what do you know? It worked!

Here is where I am at sofar:

nox_q6600_ocwith1%2C4bios.png

I had to increase the VTT to at least 12% to boot past 1200FSB.

Right now I'm at 1400FSB (700mhz ram speed) and am using the following settings:

FSB: 1400
Memory: 700
Ratio: Manual

CPU voltage: .10000v
DDR voltage: 2.10 (the default for my Buffalo sticks)
NB voltage: 1.4v
SB voltage: 1.60v
VTT Voltage: 12%

All spread spectrum options disabled

So if you've got a Q6600 (especially the B3) and have been pulling your hair out trying to get the P6N to POST past 1200FSB, try starting with the above settings!

I'll give it a whirl again also. And yeah, I noticed that it's easier to oc if you drop the mem down lower than 800...even though it's not linked. Doesn't make much sense...but neither does this board. :)

I have a P6N Diamond and Q6600 that I just flashed to BIOS 1.2. I have 2x 2 GB of OCZ DDR2 800, Corsair Hx620 PSU and an EVGA 8800Ultra in a Vista 64 Home Premium environment I get sporadic failures to boot with BSODs.
When it gets into Windows, I have no problems.

I've installed all the Vista updates including the optional update that supposedly helps with 4GB memory issues.

I was thinking that I need more voltage to my memory, but under the BIOS "Cell" menu, memory and CPU voltage are grayed out. CPU voltage reads 0.00 and Memory Voltage is set to auto. I can't change either. Any ideas? I had the same problem with BIOS 1.0 and 1.2 didn't help.

EDIT:

In case anyone else having the same problem stumbles upon this, resetting the CMOS fixed the issue for voltage adjustment. I was able to get Windows Vista to boot reliably by installing this update:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777
Despite the title, it continues after you install Windows. In fact I didn't have this problem installing Windows since I only had 2GB at installed at the time, the problem started only when I installed 4GB. If you get a BSOD with the Stop code 0x0000000A, definitely install the update.

I have a P6N Diamond and Q6600 that I just flashed to BIOS 1.2. I have 2x 2 GB of OCZ DDR2 800, Corsair Hx620 PSU and an EVGA 8800Ultra in a Vista 64 Home Premium environment I get sporadic failures to boot with BSODs.
When it gets into Windows, I have no problems.

I've installed all the Vista updates including the optional update that supposedly helps with 4GB memory issues.

I was thinking that I need more voltage to my memory, but under the BIOS "Cell" menu, memory and CPU voltage are grayed out. CPU voltage reads 0.00 and Memory Voltage is set to auto. I can't change either. Any ideas? I had the same problem with BIOS 1.0 and 1.2 didn't help.

Reset the CMOS with the clear button located just above the SATA ports (at least that's where it is on the Platinum) and then try and see if you can change the CPU and memory voltages.

FYI this thread is largely about the P6N SLI Platinum and the FI, both of which are based around the nvidia 650i chipset. The Diamond is based around the 680i chipset and although the boards look similar the BIOS is actually layed out quite differently, so we might be of limited assistance here.

"Greyed out" usually just means "this is the default value". Cursor down to that setting then use the Page Up / Page DOwn keys to change the setting.

"Greyed out" usually just means "this is the default value". Cursor down to that setting then use the Page Up / Page DOwn keys to change the setting.

LOL I would never figure that someone would actually think that just because they were grey they couldn't be changed, but you never know. :) And the simplest solution is usually the right one. Nice catch there, Spanki :)

I finally bit the bullet and went with liquid cooling, and man is it great. I've got a switftech apogee GT on the processor an a swiftech MCW30 on my North Bridge. I just added the north bridge block today after I burned my finger on a 3 ghz overclock (e6420). Now I'm running 3.1 with no problem, but I'm just wondering about my southbridge. I've got stock heatsink on it if you can even call that thing more than a hunk of metal. It's warm but doesn't seem too bad.

I'm new to overclocking and my question is this: Is the southbridge affected by overclocking? Do I even need to worry about it? Theres certainly no way to do water on it with my 8800 right on top of it, perhaps one of those passive coolers that has a metal pad with pipes coming off?

"Greyed out" usually just means "this is the default value". Cursor down to that setting then use the Page Up / Page Down keys to change the setting.

They are not adjustable - all the other values on the page are. PgUp/dn and enter and cursor left and right dont have any effect.

EDIT: In case anyone else stumbles upon this - hitting the CMOS reset button fixed the problem. I also reseated the RAM, not sure if that had anything to do with it.

I finally bit the bullet and went with liquid cooling, and man is it great. I've got a switftech apogee GT on the processor an a swiftech MCW30 on my North Bridge. I just added the north bridge block today after I burned my finger on a 3 ghz overclock (e6420). Now I'm running 3.1 with no problem, but I'm just wondering about my southbridge. I've got stock heatsink on it if you can even call that thing more than a hunk of metal. It's warm but doesn't seem too bad.

I'm new to overclocking and my question is this: Is the southbridge affected by overclocking? Do I even need to worry about it? Theres certainly no way to do water on it with my 8800 right on top of it, perhaps one of those passive coolers that has a metal pad with pipes coming off?

The SB will start getting hot the higher you go with the FSB. After a point, you;ll have to start adding voltage to the SB as well, with mine it's around a 1800 FSB or so. I'm still only running air on the NB (after market) and SB (stock), it pretty much depends on the how good of air flow that you have in your case, I've got excelent air flow in mine with 3 x 120mm fans blowing over the MoBo (1200 RPM).

e675037superpiwt0.jpg

The SB will start getting hot the higher you go with the FSB. After a point, you;ll have to start adding voltage to the SB as well, with mine it's around a 1800 FSB or so. I'm still only running air on the NB (after market) and SB (stock), it pretty much depends on the how good of air flow that you have in your case, I've got excelent air flow in mine with 3 x 120mm fans blowing over the MoBo (1200 RPM).

e675037superpiwt0.jpg

Do you have a fan blowing directly on the SB? I do have good overall flow (dual 80MM and dual 120MM) pulling air out. Nothing mounted right on the SB though. I see you've gone quite high I assume by stock SB you mean no fan on it?

My eyes are burning just looking at this clock speed :cool:

Bio, could you please show us what temps your hitting with that setup and maybe show us a pic or describe your cooling setup? This is an impressive fsb esp if you can keep it stable and cool.

I'm not quite sure if this board has a FSB hole at 1600 -16xx. Just for kicks I decided to do away with 1600 FSB (just about impossible) and tried 1700 FSB (425Mhz). Seems to work so far, now running pretty well at 3.4Ghz, up from my previous 3.0Ghz (1500 FSB).

According to CPU-Z voltage is at 1.368, mem at 398 (running mem linked, 4-4-4-12), and 3400Mhz. Ran Super Pi, no errors.

I'll run some more tests to test stability.

Could someone please answer my question? :eek:

Is the P6N SLI a good beginner's board, or is it like a DFI that requires considerable know-how in order to get running even at stock configurations?

Could someone please answer my question? :eek:

Is the P6N SLI a good beginner's board, or is it like a DFI that requires considerable know-how in order to get running even at stock configurations?

I don't think you should have any problems with the board as a beginner. Very easy to set up and get running. I'm assuming you have installed MBs before?

I'm not quite sure if this board has a FSB hole at 1600 -16xx. Just for kicks I decided to do away with 1600 FSB (just about impossible) and tried 1700 FSB (425Mhz). Seems to work so far, now running pretty well at 3.4Ghz, up from my previous 3.0Ghz (1500 FSB).

According to CPU-Z voltage is at 1.368, mem at 398 (running mem linked, 4-4-4-12), and 3400Mhz. Ran Super Pi, no errors.

I'll run some more tests to test stability.

I've got the E6420 on liquid along with my northbridge on liquid. Currently I'm running 3.1ghz with a 1550FSB. I tried to go 1600 and even after setting my northbridge to 1.3V it was still not orthos stable (booted up but froze at orthos). What northbridge/southbridge voltage is everyone running at these 1650+ overclocks? My southbridge is on stock cooling because I can't fit a block to put it in my water loop due to my 8800 being in the way :(

I don't think you should have any problems with the board as a beginner. Very easy to set up and get running. I'm assuming you have installed MBs before?
Yes, a DFI LANparty for my Opteron (OpterOWN :p) system almost 2 years ago. I'm sure I'll have no problem mounting it or putting the parts together.

My concern is being able to just put all the parts in, power on, and have no issues or tweaks necessary to get things running at STOCK configs. I know OC'ing requires tweaking, but I don't want to have to mess around with voltages, frequencies, etc. just to get my stuff going at original spec. :)

Yes, a DFI LANparty for my Opteron (OpterOWN :p) system almost 2 years ago. I'm sure I'll have no problem mounting it or putting the parts together.

:)

Well, there you go! Should be quite easy for you then. No OCs mean no tweaking. Just install, plug and reboot. Standard MB settings are quite fine for stock speeds.

I've got the E6420 on liquid along with my northbridge on liquid. Currently I'm running 3.1ghz with a 1550FSB. I tried to go 1600 and even after setting my northbridge to 1.3V it was still not orthos stable (booted up but froze at orthos). What northbridge/southbridge voltage is everyone running at these 1650+ overclocks? My southbridge is on stock cooling because I can't fit a block to put it in my water loop due to my 8800 being in the way :(

NB voltage is at 1.5v, SB at 1.6, vtt@ 2%. I'll start playing with lowering the settings to see how far I can go and maintain stability. My Antec 900 case has enough fans in it to cool the MB passively.

NB voltage is at 1.5v, SB at 1.6, vtt@ 2%. I'll start playing with lowering the settings to see how far I can go and maintain stability. My Antec 900 case has enough fans in it to cool the MB passively.

OK thanks for the info I guess being scared about 1.3V is silly with liquid on my NB lol. Is your South Bridge stock FI cooling, stock Platinum cooling, or 3rd party? I've got stock FI so that's what has me concerned. it does get quite hot when touching it. No room in there for a waterblock :(

Back