MSI 8800GT $208 @ Dell.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hehehe, 26,000 views already.

Anyone here work for Dell and have the ability to get the inside scoop on sales figures?

:D

Heya all. First post here. After many weeks of lurking, this deal finally made me register.

Placed my order for the XFX on 11/25 for better warranty. MSI's kinda scared me off, especially the part where you can't install third party cooling. The Double-Lifetime warranty also sold me since I always sell my old videocards whenever I upgrade. As for the loss of clock speed, I think I'll just OC it as needed...

Estimated shipping date for me is the same for y'all: 12/10. I think we XFX'ers have a higher chance of getting in stock and shipped since MSI evidently got hit [way] more.

As for that Paypal promo thing... I don't think it applies to these products. I read about it earlier today and thought about (oh my god) canceling and reordering but after much thought, I don't think it'll apply. Though if it does, you think they will honor the promo based on when the account was charged? Mine's not charged yet, but the authorization was given on 11/25. If not, oh well, I don't really mind. Wouldn't make it if I tried canceling/reordering anyway.

On another note, this is my first "big" upgrade on this new rig I built a couple months ago. I've a Thermaltake TR2 430W PSU, and I'm guessing this is no good for the 8800GT, eh? It's only got one +12V rail and outputs only 18A. If so, what y'all think about Corsair's budget lineup of Seasonic OEM PSUs: 450VX and 550VX? Yay or nay? Thinking about picking those up to replace my TR2.

Anyway, yup, that's it for my first post, hehe. Love this forum guys; it's really resourceful. Before I registered, when I google up benchmarks, reviews w/ pics, and what not, I always included "hardforum" in the search query because, chances were, there was an extensive thread on whatever I was looking up . Guess I won't any more since I'll be browsing this site often.

Cheers.

I don't know why it would be excluded, nothing is mentioned in the terms and conditions.

https://www.paypal-promo.com/holiday/terms_slider.html

Well, some guy at Anandtech added the default 8800GT from that link onto his cart.
Then he tried to check out his cart with the DELL link Paypal provided on their slider, but the cart was empty. The linked 8800GT's site, on the other hand, still had it on the cart. So they were coming from a different cart or something.

Dell and Newegg stopped showing up on the 20% slider around 8:30 last night, I ordered at 7. Will paypal still honor this or no?

if my wife tries to kill me, i'm going to tell her that shlonky made me do it....the shock of such an odd comment will at least buy me enough time to grab my rig and dive out of the window :)

now as to cancel the xfx...the vanilla xfx comes with stock clocks while the msi comes with +10%. but the xfx has the best warranty in the biz and will help your resale value. i love xfx, but couldn't resist the bang for the buck the msi has to offer.

too bad the paypal deal is dead, it would have nicely sweetened the deal.

heh ya the MSI is back in stock.
Too bad they didn't have the $207 MSI in stock when the 20% paypal was still active for Dell. That would of been a super sexy deal.

Man, this is a great deal. My price was $215.36 shipped with tax and DPA. I also added Fatcash so hopefully it drops to $208.89.

in for one, the MSI came to $220.4x shipped to PA with tax.

Not the prettiest 8800gt, I wonder if they will void my warranty for putting a sticker over that girls face.

I'm in for two! My Core 2 Quad 6600 with four 1 GB Patriot will make Crysis look real nice. My MSI 8800 GTX is going to get RMAed back to Newegg today. Eating $74 for restocking is better then trying to sell it used on the forums.

BTW My order says "In Production" with a shipping date of 12/12

The MSI 8800gt beat out the XFX and Asus consistently, and was just behind the Zotac.

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/8800GTs/index.php

~$222 shipped to NJ ... damn NJ / NY taxes :mad: Still a great deal though!
..well considering last I heard all 8800 cards were built by the same company. Just branded differently by the different suppliers. All cards are identical and came off basically the same assembly line.

The only thing to really compare when it comes to 8800 vs. 8800 is warranty/support the nVidia partner provides.

Clock speed, how much they have guaranteed it factory over clocks or not. But even then, you can over clock these yourself usually quite far if your that interested in more performance.

..well considering last I heard all 8800 cards were built by the same company. Just branded differently by the different suppliers. All cards are identical and came off basically the same assembly line.

That seems to be the common wisdom around here. The justification appears to be "if we say it enough, it'll be true."

There is no reason whatsoever to believe this is the case, especially when some boards have different RAM chips.

That seems to be the common wisdom around here. The justification appears to be "if we say it enough, it'll be true."

There is no reason whatsoever to believe this is the case, especially when some boards have different RAM chips.

Really? Every review of different brands I've looked at has the same RAM. Which ones have different RAM chips?

Different RAM chips is nothing. You can buy two different budget Dell's of the same model and one may have fujistu harddrives, and the next may have WD, while the next may have Maxtor.

nVidia who developed the reference design most likely qualified MANY different vendors for many of the generic board components. And they pit the suppliers against each other and as one batch starts to run out, the fill in the next batch with whoever the cheapest offer is. Lowest bidder changes over time.

This is VERY common ALL across the electronics industry.

Many sources have stated that all 8800 series cards are built by Foxconn. I think I read recently that Flextronics has been added to that list. So there are basically two different manfuacturers out there.

BFG, eVGA, XFX, ASUS, etc, do not make 8800cards. They only brand and market them.

I bit on this back on the 24th but for those who didn't its alive again and the new orders have ship date of 12/12

I bit on this back on the 24th but for those who didn't its alive again and the new orders have ship date of 12/12

So ideally those of us who bit before the link went down should have ours before they do ;)

If not, let's all rage quit from life LOL

Is it possible to use the MSI 8800GT and XFX 8800GT together in SLI even though they have different clock speeds?

It appears Newegg got a bunch of 8800GT's in, including this MSI model. Perhaps that means some of us will see ship dates before the 10th.....

shopblt.com is showing a 12/01 ETA for their MSIs. Then again they've missed 4 or 5 estimates so far. Also, seems they have had ~100 backorders cancelled recently.. bet they love Dell..

I ordered two Visiontek HD3870 512MB video cards and they have shipped, no tracking number strangely, but I received an email from dell stating they have shipped (email notification when item shipped was checked). I also ordered two MSI 8800GT's that have not shipped, but have an ETA shipping time of 12/6/07, we'll see when I get em

Dead.. shows up as $259.99 in the links. Way to drive the price up guys :D

It was always that way. The $207 or whatever the price was, was due to a 20% discount on a lot, if not most, if not all accessories. If you want to pay a lower price, go coupon hunting. There is bound to be something that can lower it, but 20% is rare. But you already knew that ;)

Does this bundle for the MSI come with the Dirt game and the LOTR one? I ordered it and hoping dell really does ship it out they told me the 10th for shipping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back