MSI 8800GT $208 @ Dell.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dell is total BS

Just ordered this MSI, order ship date 02/28/08.............no comments here....:mad:

in 3 months GTS will cost the same......I'm so angry at dell, instead of stating OOS, they take orders for next year.....

I placed my order on the 27th and Dell estimates a ship date of 12/12/2007. It's perfectly fine with me if it ships out on the 12th since that will be about when I am done with my final exams. I really hope that estimate is accurate...

I ordered on the 24th... it said 1-2 weeks, though it has been and still is listed as a ship date of 12/10 which is 16 days... more than 2 weeks :eek:

I think as of 12/1 we will have tracking information. I foresee it :cool:

I think as of 12/1 we will have tracking information. I foresee it :cool:
I hope so.

I returned my PNY 8800GT to CompUSA last night. I'm suffering withdrawal already. The onboard GeForce 6100 is my only companion.

I really do hope that Dell follows through on their ship date estimates. I don't have a card ordered from them, but the last time I had an OOS item from them it said "ships in 1-2 weeks". I finally canceled the order after 2 months of waiting. If they follow through it is a great deal, if not, not so much.

I hope so.

I returned my PNY 8800GT to CompUSA last night. I'm suffering withdrawal already. The onboard GeForce 6100 is my only companion.

Yeah... I ordered Supreme Commander from Amazon now that it's below $30. I sold my old video card and shipped it out yesterday morning. SC was there for me when I got home yesterday. Ouch. I'm on a Radeon X1200 type onboard thingamajob. I think I'll get around to finishing that StarCraft campaign now :)

i called dell to check shipping date because mine was listed at 12/10/07. i asked the rep to check the stock of the item and she said it was backordered and is estimated to ship on the 20th now, but it could be 2 weeks even later than that. dell....wow. and i ordered mine on the 24th..when it first hit. so... i would go ahead and assume santa will be bringing it. :(

i called dell to check shipping date because mine was listed at 12/10/07. i asked the rep to check the stock of the item and she said it was backordered and is estimated to ship on the 20th now, but it could be 2 weeks even later than that. dell....wow. and i ordered mine on the 24th..when it first hit. so... i would go ahead and assume santa will be bringing it. :(

And so it begins......

Yeah I hope they ship soon because I'm stuck with my POS backup X1300, wow is it sad....

is it possible that the financial investors from enron are overseeing shipping and receiving at dell? i mean what other jackass's sell things that may not exist at the time of sale?

is it possible that the financial investors from enron are overseeing shipping and receiving at dell? i mean what other jackass's sell things that may not exist at the time of sale?

You are forgetting Dell is the biggest manufactures of home PC's so getting hundreds if not thousands of cards may not be a problem for them as it would be for say Newegg.

It could be tough for them if the cards do not exist and/or the quantity they sold because of their price is way too great for the manufacturer to get caught up on. I can guarantee you that no matter how big Dell is no manufacturer is just going to give all their stock to Dell because Dell was stupid. They will distribute the supply as they normally would.

Quick, everyone call a different Dell CSR in India and report back with the answer. This should be fun.

Wow, that is teh suck.

Quick, everyone call a different Dell CSR in India and report back with the answer. This should be fun.

You first, :rolleyes:

Anywho, as said before, My HD3870's have shipped so I am confident my 8800GT's will ship as well, just wait until the ETA shipping date is reached....

Grrr...

If it isn't coming before the second half of December, i have no reason to buy before '08. How hard is it to cancel an order?

Grrr...

If it isn't coming before the second half of December, i have no reason to buy before '08. How hard is it to cancel an order?

Live chat or call their 800 customer number, really easy, but hold off until mid december, if it doesn't come by then, the decision is up to you.

Live chat or call their 800 customer number, really easy, but hold off until mid december, if it doesn't come by then, the decision is up to you.

Ok, thanks.

Gonna be out of the country from the 22nd-6th, so it's basically now or next year. :D I'll wait a few days and see how this goes...

I just realized that the 225 dollars or so they withdrew from my checking account has been put back...... ah shit:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I just realized that the 225 dollars or so they withdrew from my checking account has been put back...... ah shit:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

It wasn't withdrawn.

What they did is called a hold. It's placed on the account to authorize the credit card for the purchase. In other words, they place the hold and make sure it goes through OK to make sure the card works and has funds available.

The hold automatically comes off a few days later. This is SOP for all purchases of this type.

Your card was never "charged" and they didn't reverse any charges. They placed a hold for the funds when you clicked "submit" and the hold naturally comes off a few days later no matter what Dell does.

What card was purchased and when was the order placed?
Definitely not a good sign :mad:
Anyone else confirming?

What card was purchased and when was the order placed?
Definitely not a good sign :mad:
Anyone else confirming?

There is an explanation of the process here:
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/scams/gascharge.asp

It is a common practice in the merchant trade that when a customer initiates a transaction for goods or services that will be paid for later (such as a hotel room reservation), the merchant submits an authorization hold against the customer's card. This authorization verifies that the customer's card is valid, checks that the cardholder has a sufficient credit limit to complete the transaction, and "reserves" a block of that credit line.

For example, suppose I had a credit card with a $300 credit limit, and I made a one-night reservation for a hotel room costing $200 per night. My card might be clear of charges at the time I make the reservation, but what happens if by the time I check into my hotel, I've already racked up my $300 limit in other purchases? Even though my card is valid, even though my credit limit is greater than the cost of the hotel room, and even though my card was clear at the time I made the reservation, the hotelier might not be able to put through his legitimate charge because it will not fit within my card's authorized credit limit.

This problem is solved by "reserving" a block of credit. When I make my hotel room reservation, the hotel puts through an authorization hold that grabs and reserves a $200 chunk of credit to ensure that the room charge will eventually go through. They aren't actually charging $200 to my card; they're temporarily holding a portion of my credit line so that I can't spend more than $100 somewhere else in the meanwhile, thereby guaranteeing that their later $200 charge will go through without running afoul of my credit limit. Once the transaction is completed (or cancelled, or allowed to expire), the authorization hold is reversed. Most customers never see these authorization holds on their printed statements (although cardholders who view their recent credit card activity via web-based banking services may see them appear in on-line listings).

I used a debit card though? not a credit card, does it make a difference?

I used a debit card though? not a credit card, does it make a difference?

No.

They still have to put the hold to authorize the transaction. They cannot process the transaction and put your order through to the backorder list unless they confirm that they have a working form of payment.

Gas stations do the same thing. You generally get a $10-$50 hold placed on your credit or debit card between when you swipe the card and when you start pumping. Then the actual charge is placed and the initial hold is reversed. Sometimes the bank lags a bit reversing the hold and it can really screw with your day if you have limited funds in the account.

And, as you've found out, if the "real" charge isn't placed within a few days to the account, the hold just "goes away" because the bank assumes the transaction won't take place.

Will I just had a little chat with Dell...

1:41:18 PM System You are now being connected to an agent. Thank you for using Dell Chat
1:41:18 PM System Connected with Harpreet_Vaseer
1:41:23 PM Harpreet_Vaseer Thank you for contacting Dell Customer Service Chat. My name is Harpreet. How may I help you?
1:42:03 PM Michael I was wondering if my order would be shipping at the estimated date of 12/12 or if the item ( A1348853 ) has been backordered?
1:42:28 PM Harpreet_Vaseer I will personally review your records and will obtain the latest information for you.
1:42:28 PM Harpreet_Vaseer To make sure that I'm on the right account, Please let me know the name and the order number which appears on the account.
1:42:43 PM Michael Michael *********
1:42:53 PM Harpreet_Vaseer Thank you.
1:42:56 PM Michael *********
1:42:56 PM Harpreet_Vaseer Please let me know the order number, so that I may see the information.
1:44:18 PM Harpreet_Vaseer Thank you.
1:44:33 PM Harpreet_Vaseer While I'm checking on the information, Is [email protected] your email?
1:44:41 PM Michael Yes that is correct.
1:45:22 PM Harpreet_Vaseer We have ******** as your contact number. Please provide the alternate contact number if any. It will help us to follow up if needed.
1:45:49 PM Michael Thats my only phone number at this time.
1:46:03 PM Harpreet_Vaseer Thank you.
1:46:08 PM Harpreet_Vaseer This item is currently out of stock, however considering this fact the order is estimated to be shipped on 10th December.
1:46:48 PM Harpreet_Vaseer I'm sorry, I just checked it again. It is estimated to be shipped on or before 26th December.
1:46:56 PM Michael If the card isn't available within a certain amount of time will dell cancel my order?
1:49:23 PM Harpreet_Vaseer Michael ., still waiting for your reply.
1:49:46 PM Michael If the card isn't available within a certain amount of time will dell cancel my order?
1:51:05 PM Michael Say if the ship by date was pushed out till the end of Janurary or so would Dell simply cancel my order or would they offer me a similar card at a similar price?
1:51:18 PM Harpreet_Vaseer Not Till the time it is in manufacturing, I would suggest you to keep this order until you order or get another one.
1:51:59 PM Michael Thank you for your time.
1:52:23 PM Harpreet_Vaseer You are most welcome.
1:52:30 PM Harpreet_Vaseer Is there anything else I may help you with?
1:52:40 PM Michael No thank you.
1:52:53 PM Harpreet_Vaseer You are most welcome.
1:53:38 PM Harpreet_Vaseer We'll okay to credit $20 to your account once this order ships, if you keep it till then.
1:53:55 PM Michael Sounds good to me.
1:54:23 PM Harpreet_Vaseer You are most welcome.
1:54:23 PM Harpreet_Vaseer Is there anything else I may help you with?
1:54:31 PM Michael No that was it.

Ok maybe I didn't need to paste it all in but hey might as well. Looks like the 26th (hopefully) and a 20 dollar credit. Nice gesture but now I'm out of a graphics card until Dell coughs one up or I bale and buy from Newegg. Oh well I can surf on my Wii or PS3.

*waits for everyone to start jumping on to live chat support from dell just to aquire a $20 credit*

Dang. No discount for me.

He did take 16 minutes to tell me absolutely nothing about the potential ship date (other than it's not today) and that Dell may cancel my order at any time without informing me, though. Yay Dell!

No discount for me but they kept telling me it would ship by the 12th so we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back