Moving On/Up From Valve Index to Quest 3?

Pegi

Limp Gawd
Original Index owner. The right controller is no longer usable, and I'm not ready/willing/able to replace the battery. The question is whether to buy a new set of controllers or upgrade to a newer technology wireless device. The pancake lenses on the Quest 3 have really intrigued me--along with the wireless--and I was strongly considering this. I will check out youtube vids, but some initial questions:

1. Can I play all of my current Steam VR games or do I have to play them through another app?
2. Do I need a 128GB or 512GB?
3. Concerned about the headstrap. I have a small head...is there enough tightening or do I need something after-market?
4. I use prescription lenses in my Index. Are prescription lenses available for the Quest 3 or is it comfortable enough for glasses?
5. This doesn't need to have mounted tracking cameras in my room? How does it track?
6. The Quest 3 is classified as Mixed Reality. I will read up on this but just overview...how is this different from Virtual Reality?

Last edited:
Original Index owner. The right controller is no longer usable, and I'm not ready/willing/able to replace the battery. The question is whether to buy a new set of controllers or upgrade to a newer technology wireless device. The pancake lenses on the Quest 3 have really intrigued me--along with the wireless--and I was strongly considering this. I will check out youtube vids, but some initial questions:

1. Can I play all of my current Steam VR games or do I have to play them through another app?
3. Concerned about the headstrap. I have a small head...is there enough tightening or do I need something after-market?
4. I use prescription lenses in my Index. Are prescription lenses available for the Quest 3 or is it comfortable enough for glasses?
5. This doesn't need to have mounted tracking cameras in my room? How does it track?

1. yes, you just need to connect the Q3 to your PC with a cable or wifi using the occulus app, steamlink, or virtual desktop app

2. if you mainly want to play games from your PC 128GB will be fine, if you plan on doing quest standalone games you can consider upgrading, but you can always just uninstall games to make room for others

3. should be enough tightening, but there are good aftermarket straps that make it more comfortable, increase battery life (if you play wirelessly), etc.

4. You can get prescription lenses, but it works fine with glasses

5. There are cameras on the headset that track everything. The controllers have accelerometers and gyroscopes and infrared LEDs that the headset cameras track. Since everything uses cameras you need to have the lights on for it to work well, and it does work well.
So basically you can play anywhere with pretty much no setup (no lighthouses or anything like that). All you need to do is tell it what you want your boundry to be, which only takes a few seconds, and it remembers your boundry for next time.
Tracking for the controllers works well but since the headset cameras need to see them if you put them behind your back they don't track as well. Most people find them adequate, but if you're a hardcore beatsaber or table tennis player you can upgrade to Quest Pro controllers that each have 3 cameras on them and self track for basically flawless tracking no matter what you do because they can't be occluded.

1. yes, you just need to connect the Q3 to your PC with a cable or wifi using the occulus app, steamlink, or virtual desktop app

2. if you mainly want to play games from your PC 128GB will be fine, if you plan on doing quest standalone games you can consider upgrading, but you can always just uninstall games to make room for others

3. should be enough tightening, but there are good aftermarket straps that make it more comfortable, increase battery life (if you play wirelessly), etc.

4. You can get prescription lenses, but it works fine with glasses

5. There are cameras on the headset that track everything. The controllers have accelerometers and gyroscopes and infrared LEDs that the headset cameras track. Since everything uses cameras you need to have the lights on for it to work well, and it does work well.
So basically you can play anywhere with pretty much no setup (no lighthouses or anything like that). All you need to do is tell it what you want your boundry to be, which only takes a few seconds, and it remembers your boundry for next time.
Tracking for the controllers works well but since the headset cameras need to see them if you put them behind your back they don't track as well. Most people find them adequate, but if you're a hardcore beatsaber or table tennis player you can upgrade to Quest Pro controllers that each have 3 cameras on them and self track for basically flawless tracking no matter what you do because they can't be occluded.
Super explanations. You've helped clarify some of my fuzzy perceptions; many thanks. The more I hear of the Quest 3, the more I want it. Hopefully, parting out and selling my Index--minus the bad right controller--will help to fund it.

It sounds like you have a Metaquest, so can I ask of the three apps you mentioned above (the airlink, steam link, or virtual desktop), which do you personally use?

Super explanations. You've helped clarify some of my fuzzy perceptions; many thanks. The more I hear of the Quest 3, the more I want it. Hopefully, parting out and selling my Index--minus the bad right controller--will help to fund it.

It sounds like you have a Metaquest, so can I ask of the three apps you mentioned above (the airlink, steam link, or virtual desktop), which do you personally use?

I use Virtual Desktop. It's only for wireless (can't do wired with it), it's the only one that costs money, the others are free. It has more options and works better IMO, and gets updated pretty frequently.

There weren't other wireless options when I bought Virtual Desktop a few years ago to use with my Quest 2. I now use it with a Quest Pro.

Air link which is built into the oculus app, and steam link are both free now.. They're much newer but they do work pretty well, some people prefer them.

You do need good wifi to be able to play wireless PCVR, and probably have to be pretty close to your router. Some people really into it spend more on their router than their headset, but you can make it work with a budget router.

For wired you would just use the occulus app on your PC then launch SteamVR, no special app is needed on the headset. All of it is free.

6. The Quest 3 is classified as Mixed Reality. I will read up on this but just overview...how is this different from Virtual Reality?

Quest 2 and Index + FBT user here, just upgraded to a Quest 3.

1. Use Airlink, Steamlink, or Virtual Desktop to wirelessly play PCVR / Steam VR games. Not having the cable is great if you have a decently sized playspace. This is what I do.
2. Storage size is only useful for playing standalone quest games. If bought mainly for PCVR, go for 128GB and save some money.
3. The Quest 3 stock headstrap is ok. The Quest 2 strap I kinda hated. I ended up buying a Headstrap with multiple/removable batteries mainly so I could be in VR for several hours and stay wireless. The stock headstrap is fine to find out if it fits your comfortably. The BoboVR M3 seems to be a popular third party headstrap. Get a "Halo" style headstrap if you don't like having pressure on your face.
4. You can buy prescription lenses for the Quest 3. I bought some chinese ones off aliexpress for $13 and they work fine. Though I am considering buying the Zenni ones for $50 to do a comparison with.
5. It uses cameras built into the headset to track your controllers and arms, mixed with a bit of AI learning to sometimes guess where your arm positions are when they are outside the camera range. The tracking works quite well.
6. Mixed reality means it uses passthrough cameras to show your actual IRL environment, then layers another 3d environment or objects for you or interact with in VR. As an example, you might have a real life ramp in your room, and in VR, you could roll a "3d" toy car down the ramp.

The two biggest immediate changes going from Index to Quest 3 are the higher resolution, combined with the pancake lenses, everything is clear and in focus, unlike with a Quest 2 or index where only the center is sharp and the edges get progressively blurrier. It is a *very* large leap in visual quality.

Quest 2 and Index + FBT user here, just upgraded to a Quest 3.

1. Use Airlink, Steamlink, or Virtual Desktop to wirelessly play PCVR / Steam VR games. Not having the cable is great if you have a decently sized playspace. This is what I do.
2. Storage size is only useful for playing standalone quest games. If bought mainly for PCVR, go for 128GB and save some money.
3. The Quest 3 stock headstrap is ok. The Quest 2 strap I kinda hated. I ended up buying a Headstrap with multiple/removable batteries mainly so I could be in VR for several hours and stay wireless. The stock headstrap is fine to find out if it fits your comfortably. The BoboVR M3 seems to be a popular third party headstrap. Get a "Halo" style headstrap if you don't like having pressure on your face.
4. You can buy prescription lenses for the Quest 3. I bought some chinese ones off aliexpress for $13 and they work fine. Though I am considering buying the Zenni ones for $50 to do a comparison with.
5. It uses cameras built into the headset to track your controllers and arms, mixed with a bit of AI learning to sometimes guess where your arm positions are when they are outside the camera range. The tracking works quite well.
6. Mixed reality means it uses passthrough cameras to show your actual IRL environment, then layers another 3d environment or objects for you or interact with in VR. As an example, you might have a real life ramp in your room, and in VR, you could roll a "3d" toy car down the ramp.

The two biggest immediate changes going from Index to Quest 3 are the higher resolution, combined with the pancake lenses, everything is clear and in focus, unlike with a Quest 2 or index where only the center is sharp and the edges get progressively blurrier. It is a *very* large leap in visual quality.

You've sold me for sure. Previously, once I had the Index in hand...and installed various aftermarket components to make it as comfortable as possible...I just settled down with it and stopped following VR products and news. In fact, I still might have stuck with my Index but for the fact that while I don't blame Valve for my Knuckles battery not being replaceable by me, I do blame them for not being able to sell me just the one controller, which never seems to be in stock. I even contemplated buying a new pair of Index controllers, but that started me looking at what's new out there and looking more seriously at Quest 3. I sure do appreciate your comments, as that truly helped decide me.

Still weighing the storage question. While my Steam VR library is a goodly size, the idea of standalone games is very appealing. I could see 128GB filling up pretty fast. Do you have 128GB? I know it's variable, but I don't have a feel at all for how much space a game would take up. Asgard 2, for instance...how much space does that use?

You've sold me for sure. Previously, once I had the Index in hand...and installed various aftermarket components to make it as comfortable as possible...I just settled down with it and stopped following VR products and news. In fact, I still might have stuck with my Index but for the fact that while I don't blame Valve for my Knuckles battery not being replaceable by me, I do blame them for not being able to sell me just the one controller, which never seems to be in stock. I even contemplated buying a new pair of Index controllers, but that started me looking at what's new out there and looking more seriously at Quest 3. I sure do appreciate your comments, as that truly helped decide me.

Still weighing the storage question. While my Steam VR library is a goodly size, the idea of standalone games is very appealing. I could see 128GB filling up pretty fast. Do you have 128GB? I know it's variable, but I don't have a feel at all for how much space a game would take up. Asgard 2, for instance...how much space does that use?

Asgard's Wrath 2 lists as 29gb -- and that's without a high-res texture pack which the dev has said will drop at some future date. It's currently an outlier, though.

Most titles run low-to-mid single-digit gigabytes. Recent big titles hover in the low teens.

That said, those numbers could inflate as more titles grow to take advantage of the Quest 3's capabilities. And also keep in mind that something like 30gb is taken up by the OS, so your 128GB is actually more like >100gb.

Long story short: when it comes to your game launcher's library, do you live like a hoarder? Then, choose accordingly.

Is the Q3 decent for large IPD? I am around 74mm and the Index is like just barely enough, I used a block between the lenses to make them a little wider than usual. But it still seems like I can't quite hit the sweet spot with both eyes at the same time. It's plenty usable, but I was it was better.

Thanks all for your comments. Placed my order today. Looks like it won't ship until the end of the month, but that will give me enough time to build up anticipation. I've got a post in the FS forum for my Index, if anyone is interested.

Is the Q3 decent for large IPD? I am around 74mm and the Index is like just barely enough, I used a block between the lenses to make them a little wider than usual. But it still seems like I can't quite hit the sweet spot with both eyes at the same time. It's plenty usable, but I was it was better.
Q3 goes up to 70 or 71 IPD, sources seem to vary.
The Quest Pro can go up to 75mm.

Which storage size did you go with? I am mainly PCVR too, and was going to get the 128GB, but last minute switched to the 512.
Main reason, I will use it for 3 years probably, not knowing how things will change, might as well. And kid like to record some videos. The 128GB was getting full fast.

Which storage size did you go with? I am mainly PCVR too, and was going to get the 128GB, but last minute switched to the 512.
Main reason, I will use it for 3 years probably, not knowing how things will change, might as well. And kid like to record some videos. The 128GB was getting full fast.
Guess we're in the category of great minds think alike. I was, indeed, going to go with the 128GB, but after XenIneX mentioned a few posts above about a 30GB OS, I got really antsy thinking about how quickly storage will fill up and having to juggle titles around. I went with the 512. Ordered prescription lenses, a headstrap, and...what the hey...despite not the greatest of reviews, I also ordered the charging dock. Might be a girlie thing, but it looks so clean and sleek; had to have it.

Pancake lenses make a huge difference in this regard. Because the sweet spot is so large the IPD isn't as critical as it was with Fresnel lenses. 74 IPD should be fine with the Quest 3., if you decide to go that route.

Guess we're in the category of great minds think alike. I was, indeed, going to go with the 128GB, but after XenIneX mentioned a few posts above about a 30GB OS, I got really antsy thinking about how quickly storage will fill up and having to juggle titles around. I went with the 512. Ordered prescription lenses, a headstrap, and...what the hey...despite not the greatest of reviews, I also ordered the charging dock. Might be a girlie thing, but it looks so clean and sleek; had to have it.
Nice! :)
When you switch out the headstraps, careful removing the facial interface. These seem to be more fragile than the Quest 2. You can press a button to move it in or out away from the lens if you have glasses...4 positions. I think one of mine broke and its a little looser. Can still use the Q3, no problem, but sucks i cant click it into place like I could before switching out the straps. Seems to have happened to a few users, at least on reddit. I will reach out to support and talk to them.
Mine did not seem to come out as easy as they show it here: https://www.meta.com/help/quest/art...th-quest-3/cleaning-quest-3-facial-interface/
Was not coming off from the bottom where the movement mechanism is.

My next purchase now is a fanatec or moza steering wheel set.

When you switch out the headstraps, careful removing the facial interface. These seem to be more fragile than the Quest 2. You can press a button to move it in or out away from the lens if you have glasses...4 positions. I think one of mine broke and its a little looser. Can still use the Q3, no problem, but sucks i cant click it into place like I could before switching out the straps. Seems to have happened to a few users, at least on reddit. I will reach out to support and talk to them.
Mine did not seem to come out as easy as they show it here: https://www.meta.com/help/quest/art...th-quest-3/cleaning-quest-3-facial-interface/

Appreciate the head's up. Will handle with kid's gloves when I remove the interface. I'd be interested to hear how customer support answers you. This will be my first Meta device and my first dealing with Meta, and I do wonder how supporting their customer support is.

Mine did that too. I pulled on it thinking it would slide it out, but it busted the mechanism. I had to buy another quest 3, because my son hogged it and made me use the quest 2 when we play multiplayer, so I gave him the busted one.

The quest 3 is a huge upgrade from the index. 1440X1600 is too low resolution now days. I would have paid $500 just for a quest 2 with pancake lenses, they are a game changer.

Mine did that too. I pulled on it thinking it would slide it out, but it busted the mechanism. I had to buy another quest 3, because my son hogged it and made me use the quest 2 when we play multiplayer, so I gave him the busted one.

Try this....found it yesterday. It worked. May not be fully as solid, but all the clicks and holds work:

https://old.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/175w4ux/q3_facial_interface_slider_broken/k4jz7t9/

I did not put in a plastic tab to separate them out. Took off the interface and just expended/contracted by hand and it seems to click in place. Putting the interface back on may have let it slip out a bit, so repeated it while it was mounted.

Seems to be that the right side is the issue for most people.

Back