Moveing Caps to the back of the motherboard?

s10010001

Supreme [H]ardness
UPDATE: PICTURES AT END OF PAGE 3!

UPDATE 2:ADDED PICTURES AT MID OF PAGE 4!

UPDATE 3:MORE PICTURES AT TOP OF PAGE 5!

OK, I want to un-solder all the Caps, and little coils that surround my power mosfets on my motherboard. Then flip them to the back and solder them back on! What im going for is to have everything completely clear of the power mosfets so I can add a singal larg heatsink across the power regs (there called mosfets right?) and a plexie air duct…venting out the “yet to be removed” parallel port and comport holes…

I will need to cut my motherboard tray to fit them in there. This shouldn’t be a problem.

So what do you think? Is it doable? No hard will come from swapping them to the back will it? As long and there lined up correctly…

You should be fins as long as you do is perfectly, as in... ah.... Perfection. I hope you have a steady hand, and great soldering skills...later:)

Why the hell? Why don't you just get an adequate cooling system for what you are tring to do rather than go that way?

It doesn't make sense to me to do all that.

Originally posted by Sir-Fragalot
Why the hell? Why don't you just get an adequate cooling system for what you are tring to do rather than go that way?

It doesn't make sense to me to do all that.

It's his choice/decision, and he is doing it for room to place better more adaquate cooling...later:)

Well I figured that much. But it would seem to me that there are less extremes to accomplish the desired results.

the mosfets do not line up on a single plane, therefore, using a single large cooler will not be useful due to the large amount of silver-goo you will need.

I(illa Bee thats a pretty [H] idea, i recon it could be done and you might gain something from it, just make sure you make a note of the pollarity of all the caps and put them back in the right way.

if you try it post your results, i'd be curious to know how well it works.

by the way i've taken caps off an old motherboard before to use in voltmods, it's not that hard to do.

Two points already brought up - you gotta be damned good at soldering, and the mosfets do not form a perfect flat plane.

Getting the MOSFET heatsinks from sidewinder is probably a better idea, and then make a cute little duct for them.

that's pretty hardcore man.

I give you a 1% chance of success.

Originally posted by jagec
that's pretty hardcore man.

I give you a 1% chance of success.

i recon it's slightly higher than that, about 40%. your soldering doesn't need to be fantastic, mine aint great and i had no problems removing caps form an old board and it's easier to solder them back on.

l(illa Bee if youv got an old motherboard lying around try with that first

A few other people mentioned this.

Get the smaller heatsinks and then make the duct. This would actually work better, since as the mosfets heat up, it heats up the caps and the rings with the copper. So, the more cooling on all of those parts right in that area would help.

If you still want to solder them off, the copper wire rings are going to be the hardest. Because heat will xfer a ton while your trying to melt the solder. Just watch your other components near that point because they are going to get very very hot while trying to unsolder those things.

On a side note is this a Gigabyte board?

well I don’t know about everyone else soldering skills but, this is going to be easy....about the heat transferring thru the caps and coils wile soldering, they would do that on a cheap gun, but I have a 300 dollar iron, that will melt the solder down instantly, i will only be touching the stuff for about 1 second each.

All thought that’s a good point that if i can manage to build a duct around it, it will cool the caps and coils along with the mosfets. I may just move the caps as they don’t get hot, and leave the coils to get cooled.

I think im going to pull the motherboard out and see how much room I have, if I have room for my duct as is ill leave it and cool everything with the duct…but if not the, out come the iron, and shits gonna come popin off…

(don’t worry I have 2 Nf7s sitting around in case I fudge something…but they don’t overclock as well as this one.)

Originally posted by Sir-Fragalot
Well I figured that much. But it would seem to me that there are less extremes to accomplish the desired results.

Extremes are what distinguish the [H]ard from the boys…..

Originally posted by I(illa Bee
Extremes are what distinguish the [H]ard from the boys….. [/B]

if you do this and it works i think you should ad that to your sig

Just remember that mainboards have many layers of circuitry and that the CAPS and MOSFETS go through all of them so the surface contact is not the only layer that they might be integrated onto. Due to shielding issues, power circuitry is often isolated between grounding layers inside the motherboard. This will make re-soldering much more difficult.
3.14159% chance of success.

Dont forget the pics

Originally posted by MiXdNuTs
Just remember that mainboards have many layers of circuitry and that the CAPS and MOSFETS go through all of them so the surface contact is not the only layer that they might be integrated onto. Due to shielding issues, power circuitry is often isolated between grounding layers inside the motherboard. This will make re-soldering much more difficult.
3.14159% chance of success.

Dont forget the pics

I have never had a problem re-soldering caps onto boards. I have replaced over 30 caps on about 12 different motherboards here at work. The copper coils might be different but caps are easy to solder.

one thing you may want to try to do to make the mosfets all on a single plane...once capacitors are on the backside...grab a 1"x1" stick and wrap wet/dry sandpaper around it. Make short strokes until you are sanding all of the tops of all mosfets. The mosfets shouldn't be too far off plane, so I wouldn't worry about taking too much off. Maybe try a 600 grit to start off with.

Originally posted by Fark_Maniac
one thing you may want to try to do to make the mosfets all on a single plane...once capacitors are on the backside...grab a 1"x1" stick and wrap wet/dry sandpaper around it. Make short strokes until you are sanding all of the tops of all mosfets. The mosfets shouldn't be too far off plane, so I wouldn't worry about taking too much off. Maybe try a 600 grit to start off with.

Make sure to dust that thing off REAL well before you go plugging it back in. I'm sure you already know that but you never know.

Good luck

im pretty sure the coils you guys are refering to are called inductors.

Originally posted by Jason711
im pretty sure the coils you guys are refering to are called inductors.

they are

good effort l(iller bee, looking forward to seeing the results

so ur botching a form of Abit's OTES thing onto ur mobo...

I like it!!

And yes...pics...lots of pics...

I’m working on a block for it right now, it if I can make it nice ill use it…

It’s a price of 1/2 ID copper pipe, im going to solder a flat piece of copper along the bottom, and artice epoxy it to the mosfets..then just add it to the loop! I guss it will work, I wasn’t planning on water cooling it, but now that I have a easy solution I may just do it.

Well see

what i need to be consintrating on it water cooling my PSU...

.5% chance. Mobos are 4-8 layer PCBs, there are different traces there, you might not be getting the right ones if you move them.

Originally posted by lopoetve
.5% chance. Mobos are 4-8 layer PCBs, there are different traces there, you might not be getting the right ones if you move them.

The pins go tru all layers and ony traces the need to connect the it tought the pins...... i know it works becuse i allready did it... :)

ill have pics by tommorow...

Ohh yea, i may even look into a little higher quality caps to replavce them all

The pins go tru all layers and ony traces the need to connect the it tought the pins...... i know it works becuse i allready did it... :)

ill have pics by tommorow...

Ohh yea, i may even look into a little higher quality caps to replavce them all

i was sort of kicking around the idea of replaceing all (all possible that is) components with higher quality ones..

now that would be very interesting..

All thought that’s a good point that if i can manage to build a duct around it, it will cool the caps and coils along with the mosfets. I may just move the caps as they don’t get hot, and leave the coils to get cooled.

Good grief, why not just build a mini-wind-tunnel to mount the mobo in instead of all this headache?

I mean, really, build a custom case yourself with a bank of fans in front and back that pulls through a couple hundred CFM. Stick the mobo vertically in the middle of the flow.

Problem SOLVED.

Originally posted by dderidex
Good grief, why not just build a mini-wind-tunnel to mount the mobo in instead of all this headache?

I mean, really, build a custom case yourself with a bank of fans in front and back that pulls through a couple hundred CFM. Stick the mobo vertically in the middle of the flow.

Problem SOLVED.

give it a whirl and post some pic's and temps ;)

Originally posted by dderidex

Problem SOLVED.

well, i want one 60mm quite fan blowing on them, and that it, so its quite...Also i have allready eliminated the 2 main sources of heat in my case (CPU and GPU) with water cooling, i wand the duct im building to pass air out the back, so i remove any heat generated by the mosfets out....then its on the the HDDs..

Why? Because i CAN!

Why? Because i CAN!
Best reason in the world.

PS: Your water cooling idea is the one I think shows the most [H]ardness....You can then say I have watercooled CPU,GPU, and Mosfets.....

Originally posted by MiXdNuTs
Just remember that mainboards have many layers of circuitry and that the CAPS and MOSFETS go through all of them so the surface contact is not the only layer that they might be integrated onto.
yeah, but the solder will fill the hole when he removes them, and make good contact.

The real issues are that he might kill other components with heat (not as likely since he says he's using a good gun), or he might screw up on the soldering (a bit more likely, it's pretty delicate work).

Originally posted by jagec
or he might screw up on the soldering (a bit more likely, it's pretty delicate work).

HAHAHA....i think not :)

but really everyhting worked just fine, iv allready moved everything to the back...Im thinking about adding a small 7 volted fan to the right side pannel to moe some air overthere incase the inductors or caps get hot.

HAHAHA....i think not :)

but really everyhting worked just fine, iv allready moved everything to the back...Im thinking about adding a small 7 volted fan to the right side pannel to moe some air overthere incase the inductors or caps get hot.

where are the pics?

coming hopefully tomorrow, i work 2 jobs and have a newborn girl to take care of any time in not at one of the 2 jobs...so time is something I don’t have...

specking of witch…the baby is sleeping right now, so now is my time to sleep, Good night [H]ard OCP

PS: my server is down right now too, so its really pending on getting my site back up to host.

Originally posted by Dekar12
I can host a bunch of pics if you want. Just pm me for my e-mail addy.

ok, my server is now out of commission, tried to fix it this weekend, i got the pics, how many, What size limits, where do i send?

Thanks that pretty cool of you.

Back