Mount & Blade Warband

Nowadays I'm hitting 100% again and the new animations only make you better. There's more possible variety in swing angles so you can guide the hits right into their heads, or arc the swing out for maximum horizontal coverage if your target is far from your horse. Overall it looks much more natural. I'd say within 5-10 hours everyone should be hitting targets just like in original M&B, which is about the same amount of time it took for me to get the hang of original M&B combat anyway.

I agree.

Some pictures I've taken over the past few days:
Shining Blade of Smiting:

The coolest artwork in the game, IMO:

Band of Misfits:

To battle!

Pretty and new strategic map:

Hi guys!

Also, it seems to me like Khergit skirmisher AI has improved. Used to get a lot of horses just piled up against the border immobile in original M&B.

Now they don't flee in straight lines, but loop and follow through on the loop so their running still keeps them running within the general vicinity of the main battle.

What really seemed to change is that cavalry chasing cavalry won't all simply follow from behind. About half of them flank right, another half flanks left. Then if the running skirmisher gets slowed or stopped, he gets stabbed 6-different ways and plowed under all the cavalry closing around him like a vise.

Those stupid khergit battles used to take 3-4 times as long as battles with anyone else, now it's maybe...1.5 times as long, a 5-round 900 v 900 battle only took about an hour to finish. I don't mind because all the bands of cavalry maneuvering around each other across the field looks pretty damned epic. The battles definitely cover more of the terrain, making a nice even spread of corpses across the horizon instead of a big thick pile at the center.

Also, it seems to me like Khergit skirmisher AI has improved. Used to get a lot of horses just piled up against the border immobile in original M&B.

Now they don't flee in straight lines, but loop and follow through on the loop so their running still keeps them running within the general vicinity of the main battle.

What really seemed to change is that cavalry chasing cavalry won't all simply follow from behind. About half of them flank right, another half flanks left. Then if the running skirmisher gets slowed or stopped, he gets stabbed 6-different ways and plowed under all the cavalry closing around him like a vise.

Those stupid khergit battles used to take 3-4 times as long as battles with anyone else, now it's maybe...1.5 times as long, a 5-round 900 v 900 battle only took about an hour to finish. I don't mind because all the bands of cavalry maneuvering around each other across the field looks pretty damned epic. The battles definitely cover more of the terrain, making a nice even spread of corpses across the horizon instead of a big thick pile at the center.

900 vs 900! You must have quite a machine to run that, I'll have to give that a try on my PC.

I would be interested if they fixed the A.I. One of my pet peeves was that the a.i did not behave like cavalry but infantry on horseback.

I don't suppose the issue of them plowing into a group of infantry and then staying still to get into a spear fiight instead of maintaining speed and circling round has been addressed has it?

I always thought an easy way to fix it would have been to maintain a minimum speed when told to charge would stop things like that.

I would be interested if they fixed the A.I. One of my pet peeves was that the a.i did not behave like cavalry but infantry on horseback.

I don't suppose the issue of them plowing into a group of infantry and then staying still to get into a spear fiight instead of maintaining speed and circling round has been addressed has it?

I always thought an easy way to fix it would have been to maintain a minimum speed when told to charge would stop things like that.

This really shows when you're in the arena and cav with lances are sitting still trying to attack or they get their horse killed and they're trying to attack you on foot which is futile at best. They really should give them a dagger or sword to use as backup.

I guess I'll stick with steam for now. Didn't play to much last night, but tried the single player. They definitely added a lot of little things. I used to play reverse mouse attack direction (which is slower mouse movement when attacking), so I'm trying to relearn that and the new animation with a newbie lvl 1 character. Definitely getting hosed, but soon I'll be back to my former glory of killing swarms of black knights single handedly.

I notice that when I unsheath a weapon, the clouds in the sky change empty out, and it looks like I'm inside a metro-dome. Maybe an HDR bug.

LOL, so you did the Khergit immobilization trick too. Glad they fixed it. And glad that the khergit battles don't have to be so long. I gave into temptation to "cheat" more than I wanted. 900v900? Yes, tell me your machine! And how often does the game crash for you?

Last edited:
I only have the starter horse so I don't know how much it was nerfed.

Perhaps my biggest dislike is that once you die, the battle ends with your retreat. So the player is now the center of the universe. Maybe there is a setting to change this somewhere...

Meant to respond to this a while back. Native was the same way. It's the mods that changed it so that you can wait it out and tab when you're done.

Last edited:

There's a workaround for this, but you can't automate it. Just select your cavalry using the number keys (I think it was 3 or 4?) then give them the order to follow you.

Then you make your charges through their line and the cavalry will just blast through the lines over and over. Absurdly effective since it's getting all of your knights applying high speed-bonus hits over and over in a stream. Especially since when you charge through first, enemies tend to try to chase after you a little bit to get a swing in, exposing their back to the 50-odd knights preparing to swing....

Oh, and I said it was a 5-round 900v900 fight. It wasn't all in a single battle, I just have it set to the normal maximum of 150 at a time.

The battle-sizer mod was already ported to the Warband though, you can set it up to 1000(but nobody's computer can actually run that kind of fight): http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,103109.0.html

Yeah, I sometimes use the follow command but it is not as I would like to fight big battles. For that reason I usually only play small scale, having a few troops to distract the enemy so I can still take on largish groups without getting my ass handed to me too easily.

Not ideal, but you can command their movements with the command menu. "go here" ok, now "go back." "Ok, go here again." "Go back now"

Just played multiplayer. What a blast! Better than I thought it would be. Man, pretty competitive.

Do all multiplayer matches have directional blocking for 2 handed weapons?

Last edited:
Most servers are automatic blocking which means if you hit the block key right before someone attacks you your character will block on that side. Some servers are manual, you have to chose which side to block on. Manual block can be difficult as you can imagine.

I'd prefer manual block if the AI weren't ridiculously good with it on. It dramatically improves the value of a shield where directional blocking isn't necessary.

Still haven't had the opportunity to try Warband. So sad. :(

I'd prefer manual block if the AI weren't ridiculously good with it on. It dramatically improves the value of a shield where directional blocking isn't necessary.

Still haven't had the opportunity to try Warband. So sad. :(

What???? blasphemy! you still don't have Warband? heheh, just kidding. I was one of the 'old' players from the original v.808 beta. Almost felt wrong not to get in on the warband beta.

I'll just say this... I rarely get into multiplayer FPS's. I can't play them too long. I'm a single player fanboy. But Warband multiplayer ... that sucked me in. I'm hooked.

Yeah, it does get discouraging with manual block when the AI does it and seemingly every bad monkey on the taleworlds forums used auto-block (at least during the pre-warband days). But it is one of those features I find awesome. With Warband, you have the option of using WASD taps to control the direction of blocking now. (Sure helps with accuracy where I meant to block right, and instead blocks up). A quick key tap (even holding 'W' for running) It seems to work well, without disrupting my overall movement by much if any.

New patch released (1.110):
Incomplete changelog from Steam:
New Game option to set Campaign AI to easy, normal or difficult NPC soldiers should now climb siege ladders without problem.

There is now a chance player companions will not fall prisoner with you when you are defeated.

The game will no longer crash if you move all your prisoner into a castle.

AI weapon selection improved.

AI will no longer equip two shields.

Your companions who are prisoners at a faction's castles are now set free when peace is declared.

Party skill bonuses are now calculated correctly.

Fixed slashing through your horse and buildings using hafted blades on horseback.

Added max_number_of_connections option to rgl_config.txt. Players who have difficulty receiving server list from internet can lower the default value (64) to 20 or so.

Number of maximum bandit parties reduced by 15%.

Added Chinese language option (Simplified and Traditional).

Many other bug-fixes.

Likely best to start a new game to make sure you are playing with all the new fixes.

Cool, they are busy.

Who's playing multiplayer? Still getting hosed. But I'm not giving up until I average #1 in the rankings. heh. Probably need a better DPI mouse for the archery. While I'm thinking of it... maybe some mouse macros for manual block movements.

Likely best to start a new game to make sure you are playing with all the new fixes.

That's honestly what's stopping me at the moment from really delving into the SP. I've put about 60 hours in none the less. I'm going to wait for a final stable release (akin to 1.011 of the original) and for the module system to be released. I might dabble with actual modding this time around (instead of just using other people's mods). Regardless, I'm looking forward to some awesome mods once they release the module system.]

I played a little bit of MP... but MnB will always be a SP game to me. I've got BC2 for fragging people at the moment.

That's honestly what's stopping me at the moment from really delving into the SP. I've put about 60 hours in none the less. I'm going to wait for a final stable release (akin to 1.011 of the original) and for the module system to be released. I might dabble with actual modding this time around (instead of just using other people's mods). Regardless, I'm looking forward to some awesome mods once they release the module system.]

I played a little bit of MP... but MnB will always be a SP game to me. I've got BC2 for fragging people at the moment.

I feel the same way about the SP. But still, I can't resist playing the game. :)

Some people were commenting that the module system was released a few days ago. I'm not sure if it was a complete release or what: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,107054.0.html

Thinking about having a mod such as SoD in Warband makes me feel all tingly inside.

Wow, improved AI weapon selection should make an /enormous/ change to the battle dynamic. No more waves of spearmen incapacitated at pointblank.

Hooray, patch 1.111 has been released:
* Fixed bug introduced in version 1.110 which caused problems with pathfinding on some maps. (yipee)
* Fixed occasional crashes on the map screen.
* One handed swing animations on horseback changed.
* Splash screens added when exiting the game in trial mode.
* Links to various online and retail stores added to the trial window.

What???? blasphemy! you still don't have Warband? heheh, just kidding. I was one of the 'old' players from the original v.808 beta. Almost felt wrong not to get in on the warband beta.

I'll just say this... I rarely get into multiplayer FPS's. I can't play them too long. I'm a single player fanboy. But Warband multiplayer ... that sucked me in. I'm hooked.

Yeah, it does get discouraging with manual block when the AI does it and seemingly every bad monkey on the taleworlds forums used auto-block (at least during the pre-warband days). But it is one of those features I find awesome. With Warband, you have the option of using WASD taps to control the direction of blocking now. (Sure helps with accuracy where I meant to block right, and instead blocks up). A quick key tap (even holding 'W' for running) It seems to work well, without disrupting my overall movement by much if any.

Yeah I didn't start playing M&B until version .96, IIRC. I got in on the Warband beta, but never installed it. So much fail. :p

Patch v1.113 is very stable and quite bug-free compared to earlier Warband versions. Anyone who was waiting until SP was "playable" should give it a try. :)

I've been having more fun with this since I tried Cav in MP. So much fun stabbing someone in the chest with a lance going full speed on my mount :)

I don't get why people are complaining about couching when I, a relative newb at Cav, can couch people with no problem.

I'm too busy practicing my melee in multiplayer deathmatches. I notice Cav like to gang up on ground troops hitting each other.

Fantastic game, overall. I can't wait for Prophecy of Pendor and other mods to be upgraded to Warband platform.

I guess blades on horseback are inferior to polearms on horseback?

Polearms having more reach would naturally benefit horseback more I'd imagine.

What I like is wielding a two handed sword on horseback. The extra reach is pretty awesome, but of course you give up a shield.

Polearms having more reach would naturally benefit horseback more I'd imagine.

What I like is wielding a two handed sword on horseback. The extra reach is pretty awesome, but of course you give up a shield.

I love to play like that too, but against an experienced person, you would probably get hosed 9/10 against polearm cav because of reach. As far as I can tell it's hard for anyone to beat an experienced lancer. Maybe ranged attacks is your best chance. Not even sure if any ground spearman have that range.

Despite that, there is nothing more lovely than swinging a heavy 2 handed axe around. Break shields. And get a chance for 3 kills for 3 swings in a row. Jump attack the cav for a chance to land a hit if he misses you. Too bad his spear gets first dibs on the hit.

I guess blades on horseback are inferior to polearms on horseback?

Yes for the most part they are. I don't have any problem beating going up against someone using a blade when I have a lance/polearm. The biggest threat as cavalry, for me, are infantry with spears or 2-handers. Anyone else is sure to get stabbed.

How do you use Cav? I can't seem to hit someone standing still with a Lance lol. The only thing I kill with is a bow or crossbow. Sad. I can nail Cavs with headshots when they charge me. Otherwise, I fail horribly. Usually just a speed bump.

Some of those two handed swords are way OP btw. Just one hit deaths. Even with a shield.

yea I suck with the lance/spear on the horse too, got the game yesterday and the archery on horseback on a moving target isn't a picnic either, all in all me likie the game, kinda like daggerfall on horseback kinda

For cavalry with a lance you have to take into account the delay from when you release the attack button to when the lance is actually moving forward. You also have a smaller area where the lance will hit compared to the sweeping arc of a blade.

I just get my ass kicked too much lol. Not used to being owned in a game. Just do not understand how just swinging a two handed sword = win. Got to figure it out. Hoping the sound in the game improves too. Very blah. Usually just play music instead.

Yeah and how about helping me not get my ass kicked? Any aimbots for the bow? lol Actually, that is about the only thing I can do is headshot people. Sad.

You play multiplayer or single? It's easier to learn the distances, hitboxes, trajectories, and things of that nature when there isn't multiplayer bandwidth latency. This is especially true when learning to lead-shot moving horseman. You have to guess where they will be by the time your arrow gets there. It's quite rewarding once you get the hang of things.

There are some guides on the taleworlds forums too.

One other thing, often times, someone good with a shield will beat someone good with 2 handed weapons. But man... I have so much fun with a 2 handed axe. Pure bliss when I can score a few 1-hit kills in a row.

I can't quite figure out how to install the sound mod yet. Wtf is he doing typing overwright? Weird. ty for the tips. I just need practice. Pity TDM isn't populated much so I can practice.

Put your training points into your ranged attacks. Your melee skills will improve by themselves since their accuracy is mainly reliant on the player instead of the stats. Then after you've pumped them to around 100, then it's time to bring out the bow and start targeting enemies. As the skill builds the crosshairs finally narrow completely and you'll be able to land any kind of shot you want as long as you estimate it properly.

But until it shrinks all the way, it's kind of a coinflip on whether you hit anything. I really don't care to make an archer-based character from the get-go. I prefer to just start off with a lancer, graduate to melee, and keep allocating points into archery and horseback archery over time, and then finally when my levels are in the late-20s I'll start bringing a bow.

OTOH, you could always cheat to get yourself started and skip the early awkwardness.

So I finally decided to install and play the copy of Mount and Blade that I picked up during Steam's Christmas sale and all I’ve got to say is WOW! This game is addictive. And to think I had written off M&B years ago during the early beta just because I didn’t have the patience to learn it. :( I’m very tempted to pick up Warband just based on the 5 hours I spent (mostly getting my ass beat by bandits) with the game last night.

The only downside so far (and it’s not exactly a down side) is due to the overwhelming amount of freedom and options you have at the beginning; it can be difficult deciding where to start.

I understand there are some great mods out there too so I’m going to be busy this weekend tweaking the game as well as my tactics.

Can anyone recommend some good modding or strategy resources for a Mount and Blade newbie before he gets lost in the game world over the weekend? :)

still playing it, my biggest complain, autocalcing combat sucks balls. got headshotted by some random archer one battle and somehow it went from overwhelming victory to overwhelming defeat, ghey. And on a couple of castles, both from the sarranids, my guys get stuck on the ladder with no one in front of them, WTF?

Back