Motorola Patent Hints at a Fullscreen Razr

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
91Mobie reports that Motorola has filed a patent for a smartphone with a foldable display. As was predicted by a report from the Wall Street Journal last week, the phone in the patent clearly resembles Motorola's iconic RAZR V3 flip phone, but with a few key differences. Instead of a separate keypad and keyboard, this new phone seemingly features a flexible, fullscreen display. But like the old phone, there appears to be a smaller display for notifications on the back. Assuming the dimensions are the same as the old RAZR, the new Motorola phone would be significantly smaller than today's smart slates, though the Wall Street Journal says the device could cost $1500 if it ever comes to market.

The display will have a cutout on the top, similar to the notch on the iPhone X, to house the earpiece, while the thick chin below will have the mic and the speakers. The patent application shows the hinges will be visible on the front as well, though we can expect them to be hidden from plain view when the handset is launched... A Wall Street Journal report last week said Motorola will unveil the RAZR-inspired foldable phone as early as next month. This device was said to be exclusive to telecom carrier Verizon, at least in the US, while its fate in the other countries is not known. It will have a limited run as Motorola will reportedly produce only 200,000 units.

Could be cool, bit I don't trust them since they were sold to China. I won't buy anything of theirs regardless of what it is and what the price is.

Will see hot the flexible screens hold up... I think this type of setup would be a legitimate use for the technology.

Fits with the "thin is in" trend we are seeing as well, thin phones could lower their footprint going with the tried and true flip chassis.

I personally would like a fatter phone with more battery life as some of these phones are getting so thin it seems to cause problems with grip and structural integrity.

Could be cool, bit I don't trust them since they were sold to China. I won't buy anything of theirs regardless of what it is and what the price is.

In the same boat, bailed on Moto after the Droid Turbo came out. To each their own, but that's my 2 cents.

If it is as dependable as my old V3 that I used over 10 years then I would go for it. My V3 was my favorite phone ever. This would actually possibly get me to finally get a smart phone :p

If it is as dependable as my old V3 that I used over 10 years then I would go for it. My V3 was my favorite phone ever. This would actually possibly get me to finally get a smart phone :p
My V3 died on a cross country road trip falling out the the pocket of some sweats at a bathroom break. I had it for many years. Was devastated. Bought a cheapo in the next major city and used it for over a year before getting the G1. Hopefully this s7 has a bit more life in it! This interests me a lot but not at 1500, that's primary device cost... you pay for bleeding edge.

Loved the RAZR. I would be interested in this, but not for $1500! If it turns out to be reliable and a good phone (sound and wireless performance), I might be willing to pay $800-$900.

The razor was a hit because it wasn't crazy expensive AND good. They need to work on that price point.

Back