More Intel & AMD Licensing Talk Now More Credible

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Kenneth Luskin updates his LinkedIn article with some thoughts late yesterday that pertain to the rumors that have been shared on the seedy underbelly of the Internet.

"Now it looks like Intel will be making a processors sometime this year with Radeon GPU technology, based on Intel's current Kaby Lake architecture. The news is coming from HardOCP boss Kyle Bennett, who has said Intel's new processor would be a multi-chip module (MCM) with a Radeon GPU die that is separate to the CPU die, and won't be on-die like Intel's current GPU tech."

I am not sure who this jackass is that he is quoting, but I am not sure we should trust him. But the quote is right here.

come on kyle, the issue wasn't licence IPs, you said that raja was spliting off AMD with RTG to go to intel, that's why ppl called BS on it.
and it is still BS, iv heard some ppl assume that this AMD/intel partnership would be mainly for Apple who is tired of intel's iGPU, and that this would allow better graphics for apple's lineup, and limit driver optimisation to radeon since it's mainly the discrete gpu they use

Last edited:
come on kyle, the issue wasn't licence IPs, you said that raja was spliting off AMD with RTG to go to intel, that's why ppl called BS on it.
and it is still BS, iv heard some ppl assume that this AMD/intel partnership would be mainly for Apple who is tired of intel's iGPU, and that this would allow better graphics for apple's lineup, and limit driver optimisation to radeon since it's mainly the discrete gpu they use
Amazing that things change over time eh? That does not change what was happening at the time the editorial was written. And if it is still BS, then who cares? Call me a liar and move on.

Ken Luskin and Kyle's mutual admiration society is all abuzz. He quotes you, you quote him. LOL

Funny thing is, when I started seeing this story around the internet last night and this morning my first thought was, "old news, I've heard this already." Then, I came here to this thread and my memory was suddenly clear. I heard this news weeks ago on HardOCP. hah.

Interesting rumor says that Intel is panicking over RyZen. Like they literally don't know what to do when it's released. Which you would think considering how RyZen does seem to be surpassing expectations so far. At least with the little info we know about. And Intel is realizing their best market is the PC gaming market, as it's picking up more customers everyday.

I have never seen Kyle make a claim this large without having some substance to back it up.
we sure are in interesting times though.

Interesting rumor says that Intel is panicking over RyZen. Like they literally don't know what to do when it's released.

Cut prices and thus gross margin until they release a significantly better product. If they match Ryzen prices, AMD is dead in the water (which Intel doesn't want). Twitter should charge authors $0.01/tweet. I'm full of great business ideas!

Ryzen is not better than current gen Intel products - if it was, we'd be inundated with benchmarks of all types this close to release, not specific, highly controlled "benchmark demonstrations".

Interesting rumor says that Intel is panicking over RyZen. Like they literally don't know what to do when it's released. Which you would think considering how RyZen does seem to be surpassing expectations so far. At least with the little info we know about. And Intel is realizing their best market is the PC gaming market, as it's picking up more customers everyday.

How does it say that, exactly?

Besides, it wouldn't be the first time AMD released a far superior product to Intel while Intel still managed to maintain their dominance and market share. Remember the AMD 64?

I'm hoping what it does do is actually force Intel into some material changes to their product. It used to be the case that CPU upgrades were necessary on a semi-regular basis to maintain top-end performance. It's been years since that was the case, possibly because AMD hasn't launched a threatening product since the aforementioned AMD 64 that I can recall.

Either way, if this turns out to be true, it throws AMD a massive lifeline which is great for the industry and consumers.

Good day for AMD, 10 year high.

upload_2017-2-6_13-52-43.png

this has nothing to do with whether or not ryzen is competitive.. it has more to do with the fact that AMD and Nvidia both control the vast majority of patents when it comes to graphic processing. AMD was probably the cheaper price offer for licensing patented tech and thus intel went with them even though they're still competing against each other.

Frankly if this is true it is a huge win for AMD, despite the relatively poor performance of Intels on-board video it is by far the most dominant graphics provider on the planet, if they cross licensed the AMD lineup and started putting that on their chips it increases AMD's video market share by a staggering margin and sets them as the lowest common denominator for all upcoming games.

For Intel this lets them shelve their graphics department which is constantly having to dance legal hoops to avoid angering AMD or nVidia and has never really caught up, the licensing fees will probably be lower than their current R&D budget so both AMD and Intel's bottom lines look better which keeps AMD in the game which Intel knows they need. Furthermore, it isn't a hard conversion for Intel to work into their existing line up as they already make a series of chips that don't have any on-board video, they may even be able to make the conversion with out changing the pin count and configuration.

Again IF this is true and if Vega performs decently than an Intel/AMD configuration would have some good benefits and if those Intel chips support the Free sync then we could see some very nice toys coming our way in 2018 and beyond.

AFAICT, Intel already has a license for AMD GPU tech. They have an extensive cross license agreement between the two companies that covers everything related to CPUs signed after AMD acquired ATI:
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/2488/000119312509236705/dex102.htm

1.33 “Processor” shall mean any Integrated Circuit or combination of Integrated Circuits capable of processing digital data, such as a microprocessor or coprocessor (including, without limitation, a math coprocessor, graphics coprocessor, or digital signal processor).

And Intel is NOT losing access to NVidia patents either:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/402...reement-nvidia-will-continue-well-beyond-2017

2017 is when Intel stops paying NVidia, and thus won't gain access to any new NVidia patents filed in 2017 and beyond. But older patents is has access to in perpetuity.

Last edited:
AFAICT, Intel already has a license for AMD GPU tech. They have an extensive cross license agreement between the two companies that covers everything related to CPUs signed after AMD acquired ATI:
https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/2488/000119312509236705/dex102.htm
That part you quoted is a list of definitions, not a list of what is included in the licensing agreement. If you read though you will see that the specifics of which patents are being cross licensed are redacted and not actually listed.

[****] = Certain confidential information contained in this document, marked by brackets, has been omitted and filed separately with the Securities and Exchange Commission pursuant to Rule 24b-2 of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. Confidential treatment has been requested with respect to the omitted portions.

With respects to the nVidia patents they wont loose them but if they go forward with this then they don't need to negotiate for any additional ones as ATI will already be doing that for the ones they need so they are removing the duplication of work on their part.

Last edited:
Yes. But since this is their processor cross license agreement, and it defines a processor to include (without Limitation) a graphics co-processor, it does rather likely Intel can use AMD gpu patents.

Yes. But since this is their processor cross license agreement, and it defines a processor to include (without Limitation) a graphics co-processor, it does rather likely Intel can use AMD gpu patents.

No, it is defining what it means to be a processor for the rest of the document when they use the word Processor. The specifics of which individual patents were included are not listed and with a few exceptions such as SSE and x64 best not to speculate on.

Something tells me you own more stock in AMD now, probably before that post. You should be ashamed of yourself.

If you could PM me before hand next time that would be great....
Something tells me that you don't know me or my ethics very well. I have not come close to touching a tech stock in 20 years. To do so would be unethical as well as likely illegal, and I have no desire to get crossways with the SEC.

But I thought that was already confirmed? My brain can't be trusted

In other words, what AMD should have done with ATI instead of screwing the pooch by purchasing all of ATI in one big blowing of its load.

Back