From ATI to AMD back to ATI? A Journey in Futility @ [H]

Discussion in 'AMD Flavor' started by Kyle_Bennett, May 27, 2016.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

If current dollar value is immaterial to each as far as can be seen, then the agreement could very well not be disclosed to stock holders.

That said, this is what I just got back from one source that did have information on this, but was not the primary source. He said, "....the info is still valid, just not fully consummated..." Still waiting for information from the primary source, but it is not someone that I have easy access to. I will be patient even if you two are not. I see some really good custom titles coming your way soon. ;)

2. BrianB

BrianB [H]Lite

was not meant against you in any form. since the nature of the deal is unknown, it is pretty much impossible to quess whats coming or not coming. also i wonder what cpc hardware knows reps. what their sources are. they mentioned "Intel is working on a MCM with a AMD GPU" only with on single sentence in a multiple page report. seems strange...

3. Meeho

Meeho 2[H]4U

"I told you so!" is best consummated cold? :)

4. Kyle_Bennett

Guess you better get a better dictionary.

hoax
    hōks/
    noun
    1. a humorous or malicious deception.

5. NKD

NKD [H]ardness Supreme

lol

6. Gideon

Gideon Gawd

Shintai thinks he knows how corporations do things, lots of things are last minute in the corporate world especially if one side does not want it public any sooner then it needs to be. Should know for sure in 1 month.

7. Tyns

Tyns Limp Gawd

Intel's current licensing deal doesn't expire until March. If such a deal is going to be made with AMD, it doesn't surprise me that there hasn't been any mention of it yet as it's not currently needed

Kyle_Bennett likes this.
  8. BrianB

BrianB [H]Lite

[
    ... Btw: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoax

thanks for the update regarding the deal nevertheless

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  9. CSI_PC

CSI_PC 2[H]4U

I think there is/was negotiations but still not agreed between the parties and no guarantee, AMD usually in part of their forward looking statement in those results/conference call would comment they have a cross-licensing deal agreed with a 3rd party (would not name the company yet) and with a rough estimate when coming into effect but that did not happen.
    This would make sense to do especially considering the more down comments they provided for their next quarter estimation.
    I think some in AMD jumped the gun with this leak-rumour.
    Cheers

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  10. Kyle_Bennett

So you are suggesting here that I knowingly and purposely misinformed our readers for either my own amusement or malicious intent?

11. BrianB

BrianB [H]Lite

still no.

12. Kyle_Bennett

Well, it would seem that you might want to edit your statement.

13. BrianB

BrianB [H]Lite

Wait, why do you think I am accusing you of creating hoaxes? You are not the source for this info right? Also didnt cpc hardware break this before you?

14. Kyle_Bennett

Guess I am making stuff up that you are posting in thread about an article that I wrote and statements that I made. If you are going to be making statements of fact about our content, I would highly suggest you be ready to defend those statements with proof.

15. BrianB

BrianB [H]Lite

Better? Ok, Hoax was too strong. It was the reaction to absolutely no news about it (being a done deal) and again, not against you or how you work.
    This is the thread discussing this topic, probably the only place in the www.

So what do think about cpc hardware's info then?

16. Kyle_Bennett

I do not understand your question.

17. dook43

dook43 2[H]4U

Give Shintai AMD[H]ater, since it's blatantly obvious he wants AMD to fail

JustReason and Schmave like this.
  18. CSI_PC

CSI_PC 2[H]4U

Seems to me Brian is inferring that it is not you but the source information or those that provided said information were at fault whether deliberately or a mistake on their part, which fits his response to my post although using word hoax was too strong a description.
    TBH I think those sources jumped the gun, plausible that negotiations are happening but not signed off yet and may even fall through *shrug*.
    Especially as part of the conference call they mentioned other forward looking activities (Raven Ridge being one) and in the past calls mentioned upcoming deals/licensing agreements/etc but with no details of the 3rd party.

Cheers

JustReason likes this.
  19. Kyle_Bennett

No, I did not understand his question, "So what do think about cpc hardware's info then?"

20. noko

noko 2[H]4U

I wouldn't be surprised Intel just buys out Imagination Technologies, use that tech in upcoming Cannonlake. Believe Intel Atom already uses Imagination Technology anyways. Does not mean discussions are not going seriously with AMD even Nvidia and others. If Intel wants to get into more of Apple share, small or cell phone size computing and basically control that market Imagination Technologies seems to be more beneficial to them. Then again AMD maybe has some strong future tech they might want - who knows besides those dealing?

21. Shintai

Shintai [H]ardness Supreme

Intel dumped Imagination Technologies twice, last time foe good.
    http://www.standard.co.uk/business/...fter-intel-dumps-cut-price-stake-9567763.html
    https://www.theguardian.com/busines...nologies-slips-as-intel-sells-remaining-stake

Apple seems to be working on their own GPU design. They hired a lot of GPU specific people like Intel.

22. BrianB

BrianB [H]Lite

that was my point.

23. razor1

razor1 [H]ardForum Junkie

LOL no they are not, everything is the corporate world goes slow, lots of red tape, and people to answer to and answer for. Nothing ever moves fast....... The bigger and older the company the more political hurdles that have to jumped, and we are talking about two largest and oldest corporations in the computer world.

trandoanhung1991 and Shintai like this.
  24. Kyle_Bennett

You still never answered me on this...

"So what do think about cpc hardware's info then?"

I am not sure as to what you are referring to. Care to share?

25. Gideon

Gideon Gawd

You would be wrong. The lower in the food chain the slower things are. At the top decisions can be made quickly. If your a public traded company it can appear to be slow due to lawyers and paperwork but the decision is already made and done. When you make a deal and you don't want it public till the last minute you wait till the last minute to ink the deal, happens quite a bit. But I will go by both your answers to know neither of you has worked high up in the food chain in a corporate world.

26. razor1

You are talking about two different things, when a company announces something vs when negotiations go on. Negotiations can take up to years.

LOL I haven't? I'm a sr producer at NBC/comacst, sorry I'm pretty high up in the totem pole here, and one position away from executive level (equivalent to C level without the title)

Take you assumptions about corporations and shove em ya know where. My tech department at NBC is faster, more nimble and more proactive in skunk works, than smaller corporations because the need (due to failures in the past) and when our production team got together and we told the higher ups what we needed they listened, but it took years for them to get to where they are now, and power was given to them to move fast. Otherwise things are always slow. When it comes to negotiations, things are never fast, and now you are talking about core technology that could have ramifications in long term deals in market place (AMD), they are going to be very careful on how and what things Intel can and can not use or do.

trandoanhung1991 and Shintai like this.
  27. Gideon

Gideon Gawd

Oh Comcast no wonder you come off as a asshole. Negotiations can take years and you don't announce them unless you want to do some PR about it. Deals can be made quickly and have been there and been part of them, middle management is always the last to know. I am in the car industry so perhaps things are much slower over in the entertainment / isp world. But since you cant figure it out, I am saying the deal can be all done all negotiations are done and contract written, just needs signatures and it's a done deal. Lots of things don't get announced in financials early for many reasons. Like I said in a month will know for sure one way or the other.

JustReason likes this.
  28. razor1

LOL so you know how things are done here at NBC, comcast is our parent company that bought out NBC oh 4 years ago, and they have nothing to do with us, we don't answer to them directly, outside of EOY results,;our budgets, and strategies have limited synergies with them. I work in special effects and emerging technologies over all of NBC's brands which include TV shows and channels (Telemundo, USA, Syfy, and many more), and Universal Pictures (over computer IP and video IP), and we need to move as fast as possible because its time constrained all the time, but unless we have good reason and well documented ways of doing things we don't move forward cause its our ass that's on the line.

If you think this is me being an ahole, you haven't been talking to people that work high up in corporations, not many of them are nice people when it comes to their business.

29. Shintai

Generalisation of people isn't a good thing. Comcast got what, 153000 employees?

trandoanhung1991 and razor1 like this.
  30. whateverer

whateverer AMD Owns Techreport

Apple already has a custom GPU shipping since iPhone 6s, per David Kanter. It uses Imagination for the rest of the GPU, but has custom shaders and compiler.

http://www.realworldtech.com/apple-custom-gpu/

If anyone is likely to buy Imagination Tech, it's Apple.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  31. Gideon

Gideon Gawd

Ahh yes it must be tough for you to be the boy wonder of the dynamic duo. Razor is more then capable of taking care of himself, it's not like him and I have failed to see eye to eye before.

noko likes this.
  32. Anarchist4000

Anarchist4000 [H]ard|Gawd

Decisions are made quickly there as well, execution on the other hand can take some time, but plans are always being drawn up.

33. noko

noko 2[H]4U

To clarify - Intel will most likely have many options they are considering as well as discussions with a number of other companies to buy them out. Will that happen or not only time will tell. At one point last year a rumor of Intel buying out Imagination Technologies was starting to be circulated as well as Apple buying them out. It did not pan out in the end or at least yet. In other words what Kyle wrote could be 100% accurate at the time but until money exchanges hands with written agreement it can evaporate into thin air as if it never existed. Yes Intel at one point had I believe around 10% investment in IMGTEC but sold those shares for what ever reason.

Algrim likes this.
  34. BrianB

BrianB [H]Lite

Sure. CPC writes Intel is working on a MCM with an AMD GPU. That is relatively specific. Does this statement match with what you have heard?

35. Kyle_Bennett

OK. Got information back on this. Everything I have mentioned here is definitively correct.

Intel is licensing AMD GPU technology. No money has changed hands yet, so there is not financial impact till late in the year, hence nothing in the current earnings report.

The first product AMD is working on for Intel is a Kaby Lake processor variant that will positioned in the entry-to-mid level performance segment. It is in fact an MCM (multi-chip-module), and will not be on-die with the KB CPU. It is scheduled to come to market before the end of the year. I would expect more collaboration between AMD and Intel in the future on the graphics side.

And you can take all that to the bank.

36. BrianB

BrianB [H]Lite

Thanks for sharing this. Appreciate it.

37. Shintai

Interesting. That would go against all their roadmaps. Also Coffee Lake wouldn't be far from launch at that time. It must be a product that have been planned for a really long time since it would have to be taped out now.

What will the interconnect be? How will memory be addressed? How will power be delivered, new socket? Increased TDP?

I´m just not buying it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  38. SighTurtle

SighTurtle Gawd

Wait this might have been addressed already but if this is true, then what about AMD's APU business?

39. Shintai

Exactly. There is 117 reasons why this wont happen. Cant think of a single one on why it would.

If Intel wanted a gaming GPU they go Nvidia with a truckload better perf/watt, smaller die and less memory bandwidth need.

40. dcds1

dcds1 Gawd

I also think we might be looking at this at totally the wrong way. Intel might be looking at AMD's graphic for their science processing power and not for their gaming graphics