More DLSS...

I'd draw the line at fully 3d games. SS is one of those old games with sprite based characters, not 3d modeled ones.

I want Jedi Outcast and Academy. I believe the source is available for the games and the Q3 engine they are based on.

That one would be cool too.

I wouldn't draw a solid line there though. Some updated versions still use polygons for the sprites, and even just having ray traced ambient and incidental lighting and shadows would be huge in something like SS. If you've ever used zDoom or other modern sourceports for Doom/Heretic/Hexen, you'll have somewhat of an idea where this could lead. I'm not 100% sure how the Nightdive Enhanced version works, but they now have the assets for all that, and I thought they had moved them into their own updated engine. This leaves System Shock well in the territory to get some kind of adaption. Not that I think it's likely at all, just something I personally would love to see.

While we're talking Q3 engine, let's add Q3A, Alice, Heavy Metal FAKK2 to the list.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Auer
like this
No man's sky would be my first candidate to receive RTX, of current games.

Yes, I actually put it in the feature-request forum on Steam, though I really don't know if they look there or not. :D

Reactions: Auer
like this
BF5 is almost exactly they type of game you don't want to showcase Ray Tracing with. The last place most people are going to care about shadow and reflection quality is in a competitive multiplayer shooter.

Given how they're currently played, probably not -- but having accurate lighting is like having accurate sound.

It could be an advantage, done correctly.

BF5 is almost exactly they type of game you don't want to showcase Ray Tracing with. The last place most people are going to care about shadow and reflection quality is in a competitive multiplayer shooter.

But NVidia had to to go with what was "ready" at the time.

The ray-traced reflections are actually quite nice on maps with rivers and water puddles.

I did some testing with DLSS vs. resolution scaling to 80% and the latter has more blurring but framerates are faster. Adding image sharpening gives a crude look. At native res Ultra preset with TAA at high and with DLSS and DXR disabled, I would say that the level of blurring between DLSS and TAA high is very similar but DLSS has that streaking artifact on planes and on some players seen running from afar.

Overall, I prefer playing with DLSS and DXR enabled in BF5.

I tried DLSS 2.0 and DXR on Deliver us the Moon and I have to say that the implementation of those features are quite impressive and shows a lot of promise.

Last edited:
Not new but I didn't see it before.

This early access indie gets a RTX/DLSS. What impresses me here, is this is One Man dev shop adding these features, and the big performance jump from DLSS.

DLSS may be shaping up to be a killer feature in 2020:

Bright Memory Adds Ray-Traced Reflections and NVIDIA DLSS
Great games don’t have to come from large studios, just ask FYQD-studio, the one-man development team behind Bright Memory. Released into Early Access last year, this fast-paced title places you in the role of Shelia, an agent that’s trying to save the world from a terrorist organization while battling an army of reanimated creatures. Now, Bright Memory has updated its Early Access release with ray-traced reflections and NVIDIA DLSS.

idia-geforce-rtx-nvidia-dlss-performance-2560x1440.png
ght-memory-early-access-nvidia-dlss-comparison-001.png

Not new but I didn't see it before.

This early access indie gets a RTX/DLSS. What impresses me here, is this is One Man dev shop adding these features, and the big performance jump from DLSS.

DLSS may be shaping up to be a killer feature in 2020:

Bright Memory Adds Ray-Traced Reflections and NVIDIA DLSS

View attachment 227459
View attachment 227460

I picked it up on Steam, not a fan of games with the Souls type combo mechanics personally but will give it a go at some point.

Well if a one man team can incorporate it -> everyone should be able to with at least with the Unreel Engine. Nice change in fate, now where is Ampere?

Well if a one man team can incorporate it -> everyone should be able to with at least with the Unreel Engine. Nice change in fate, now where is Ampere?
Also unity is implementing it, which combined with unreal engine 4 covers a lot. I am excited for Ampere. I am on sli 970 cards in the meantime... I'd ordered a 2070 super but returned it unopened to wait. From the rumors it'll be worth it.

In the meantime I'm upgrading from a 2600k setup to a r9 3900x, 32gb ddr 4 3600mhz ram, and an x570 mobo. Just waiting on Ampere now... https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-could-reach-8k-cores-with-next-generation-architecture

Also unity is implementing it, which combined with unreal engine 4 covers a lot. I am excited for Ampere. I am on sli 970 cards in the meantime... I'd ordered a 2070 super but returned it unopened to wait. From the rumors it'll be worth it.

In the meantime I'm upgrading from a 2600k setup to a r9 3900x, 32gb ddr 4 3600mhz ram, and an x570 mobo. Just waiting on Ampere now... https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-could-reach-8k-cores-with-next-generation-architecture

None of the consumer models will use HBM...this is Tesla-land...silly times again.

Edit:
To show the difference:
Volta (GV100) 5120:320:128
Turing (TU102-400-A1) 4608:288:96

Volta came out BEFORE Turing...but still had more cores, TMU's and ROP's

This will be the same with Ampere...don't look at Telsa SKU's for consumer GeFoce SKU's config...ffs.

Last edited:
I didn't say anything about that, but it's obvious to anyone not born today ;).

You would be suprised at how rare "common sense" is today sadly...those Tesla SKU's numbers have muppets running all over the inderwebs talking about GeForce Ampere (like it will have Tesla specs)...reality bites ;)

You would be suprised at how rare "common sense" is today sadly...those Tesla SKU's numbers have muppets running all over the inderwebs talking about GeForce Ampere (like it will have Tesla specs)...reality bites ;)
I might give people too much credit then :p.

So far the best implementations have been in Vulkan imho, WolfYB and Q2RTX.

EDIT: Q2RTX is RT only, no DLSS.

Last edited:
None of the consumer models will use HBM...this is Tesla-land...silly times again.

I agree, don't starting thinking consumer models are going to be anywhere near as monstrous as those rumors.

Lower models won't go HBM, But HBM could be a possibility for the 3080Ti. You need a significant boost in memory bandwidth, to deliver a significant performance boost.

At some point HBM probably makes more sense than adding more memory channels the the board.

Options on the table seem to be moving to 448 or 512 bit memory bus, or HBM. Few people outside industry insiders really know the full set of trade-offs.

I agree, don't starting thinking consumer models are going to be anywhere near as monstrous as those rumors.

Lower models won't go HBM, But HBM could be a possibility for the 3080Ti. You need a significant boost in memory bandwidth, to deliver a significant performance boost.

At some point HBM probably makes more sense than adding more memory channels the the board.

Options on the table seem to be moving to 448 or 512 bit memory bus, or HBM. Few people outside industry insiders really know the full set of trade-offs.

nvidia doesn't need as much memory bandwidth compared to AMD thanks to its memory compression technologies. Then again, more bandwidth doesn't hurt.

It's the unexpected small details that makes RTX cool, like the quick glance at your reflection across a street in a window, barely there but yeah there it is :)
And DLSS makes it all smooth for my mid range gear on a 4K monitor.
I need to take a vacation off No Man's Sky and play a lot more of this damn game...

Wolfenstein  Youngblood Screenshot 2020.03.11 - 20.02.33.88.png

NVidia video about DLSS 2.0. Mostly just confirms what we already know. DLSS 2.0 is a general purpose solution, the AI network runs faster so widely applicable to different resolutions and performance levels, and "Control" is getting updated to DLSS 2.0.

A faster general purpose solution, that delivers better results, is much closer to what seemed to be promised at launch, and now that it doesn't require training, should be much simpler for developers to add to their games:

NVidia video about DLSS 2.0. Mostly just confirms what we already know. DLSS 2.0 is a general purpose solution, the AI network runs faster so widely applicable to different resolutions and performance levels, and "Control" is getting updated to DLSS 2.0.

A faster general purpose solution, that delivers better results, is much closer to what seemed to be promised at launch, and now that it doesn't require training, should be much simpler for developers to add to their games:

It was supposed to be simple for them last time, will believe it when I see more titles with it and running well.

4K ultra Doom Eternal, both the 5700XT and the OG 2070 are around 60fps, When DLSS2 comes to that title the difference will be interesting for sure.

4k-doom-eternal-ownsnap.com_-1536x864.jpg

I didn't think a solution that requires individual training for each game was simple. Now it's a general solution. It's obviously much simplified.

What you thought and what Nvidia promoted are two different things. Will find out if it's easier or not if titles start supporting it and it actually runs well. Hopefully for the owners of the cards it will finally pan out to be useful for them.

What you thought and what Nvidia promoted are two different things. Will find out if it's easier or not if titles start supporting it and it actually runs well. Hopefully for the owners of the cards it will finally pan out to be useful for them.

Your concern is noted, but it's been useful for quite a bit now and seems to continue to be so.

IS it true they are actually going to redo Control with DLSS 2.0? If so, I might have to play that game again at 4K. The DLSS in the game couldn't quite cut it at 4K with Indirect Diffuse Lighting enabled...

I actually wish all games that used previous versions of DLSS; Like SOTTR and BFV got the new implementation. It looks so much better and the performance is amazing. Much better than crappy TAA that you see in most games too.

IS it true they are actually going to redo Control with DLSS 2.0? If so, I might have to play that game again at 4K. The DLSS in the game couldn't quite cut it at 4K with Indirect Diffuse Lighting enabled...

I actually wish all games that used previous versions of DLSS; Like SOTTR and BFV got the new implementation. It looks so much better and the performance is amazing. Much better than crappy TAA that you see in most games too.

Yes, Control and the DLC will be getting DLSS 2.0 treatment. I’d love to see Metro Exodus get this update, but I’m afraid it’s unlikely.

Real fine wine in action! Like never before in the history of GPUs :D

Maybe the most significant technical breakthrough for performance of all time. OK, enough of that.

Good to see Nvidia is expanding games with DSLL 2, looks like it is a very viable, effective image reconstruction method. I just don't think AMD has an answer to this yet, I really look forward to Ampere and any additional A.I. techniques Nvidia will bring to the table. Like lighting maybe using RT every other frame or less for lighting samples for reconstructing the image (who knows?). Anyways 5K monitors, 120hz or 4K 144hz with DSLL seems very viable - that is what I would be looking for.

Playing MW5:Mercs at 1440p with Vsync on and DLSS set to Quality on a 2080TI. Game looks identical and maybe better in some cases when I stand and look at things. While fighting the only difference I am noticing is how much smoother the game feels lasers maybe look better.

Edit:
The smoother game play is helping my motion sickness, I am finding I can play longer before the nausea sets in, not a lot longer but longer still. FPS titles and I tend not to get along for very long.

Last edited:
Back