Monster Hunter Stories 2 - Switch & PC

I picked it up on PC, mostly because it was cheaper than on Switch and I don't really care about the Aesthetic crossover items with MH Rise (Whch i'm sure i'll get on PC eventually.)

Art style is adequate but the actual game itself is ugly as hell, even at 4k60 which is laughably easy to run. I'm talking "max" settings it's taking maybe 30% of my 1080ti to run at 4k60, but the AA is awful, the shadows are jagged, and there's no ambient occlusion and holy shit does this game need it. I'm expecting some sort of injector or .ini tweak in the near future to allow adjustments to these things.

Anyway, it's definitely made for kids more than any other MonHun game that i've played, and its first and foremost a jRPG, turn based battles, wandering around on the world map with an annoying sidekick sort of thing. It's bright and colorful and the annoying sidekick is annoying to the max, but the battle system seems pretty fun, even though I haven't came across anything actually challenging yet (I'm still only a couple hours in, and in the first area). I'm a huge monster hunter fan so the actual monsters and riding them is pretty damn cool though, even if i'm mostly dealing with basic wyverns thus far. I did have an encounter with an Anjanath that was pretty fucking awesome until story made me run away. =(

I do NOT like how the monstie egg hatching seems to be somewhat gacha based, there's no way to force money into it, but its just kinda random what eggs you'll get from a nest. I have been shown a way that you can modify this a bit but I need to play more to test it out.
I'm gonna keep playing and i'll mention my thoughts more when I have a few more hours of experience.

Oh yeah, if you're gonna play on PC I strongly reccomend using a controller. It noticed and adapted to my PS5 controller immediately but also seems to be ok with Xbox or Switch button prompts. Adapting based upon input, which is nice.

I keep reading how it’s so good and one of the best jrpgs this year. I’m trying the demo and it’s so far thoroughly mediocre. I’m not a monster hunter fan to begin with but the Rock,Paper, Scissors combat feels very uninspired and boring.

Just not seeing the hype at all. Feels like a fan service game geared towards kids.

I keep reading how it’s so good and one of the best jrpgs this year. I’m trying the demo and it’s so far thoroughly mediocre. I’m not a monster hunter fan to begin with but the Rock,Paper, Scissors combat feels very uninspired and boring.

Just not seeing the hype at all. Feels like a fan service game geared towards kids.
I mean, it's a turn-based combat system. It has more going for it than something like Pokemon where it's just, choose an attack that is good against whatever type. With Stories 2 you have the RPS aspect, the elemental aspect, and the weapon type bonus aspect.

Yeah, and combat in the opening region is overly simplistic for a reason, it pretty quickly ramps up in complexity once you get to the next area and then again once you unlock all the gene transfer stuff.

Combat is definitely more similar to Shin Megami Tensei (Mainline ones, like 3 and 4) than it is pokemon.

Back