Monoprice Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - $58.05 today only.

leeleatherwood

[H]ard|Gawd
Didn't see this posted anywhere, I apologize if this is a re post.

Monoprice Mechanical Gaming Keyboard - $58.05 today only.

http://www.monoprice.com/home/promo.asp?pn=10_anniversary_sale

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...d=1080906&p_id=9180&seq=1&format=1#largeimage

If you look this keyboard up on Amazon, the description changes slightly from Monoprices website. But the seller on Amazon is Monoprice themselves.

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-Headset/dp/B0081TQ8BW

Features:
* Uses Cherry MX Black switches
* Switches rated for over 50 million keystrokes
* 2 mm keyswitch actuation distance, 4 mm full throw distance
* Requires 60 grams actuation force
* Blue LED lighting for the keylock indicators
* Includes 2-port USB 2.0 hub
* Connections for headset and mic
* Supports 5 sets of 50 macros each
* Cylindrical shaped keytops
* Soft-touch rubberized surface
* Includes attachable wrist rest
* Includes 4 high-visibility orange keytops for replacing the WASD gaming keys

91801.jpg

91802.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I was literally just about to post this... seems like a killer deal.

I'd pick one up if i had the money, I just need to repair a few of the switches on my blackwidow though.

I was literally just about to post this... seems like a killer deal.

I'd pick one up if i had the money, I just need to repair a few of the switches on my blackwidow though.

I picked one up.

Will be my first mechanical keyboard, I figured its cheap enough to try. Although I have used those old ass IBM ones in the past.

Damn, hopefully they have a similar deal about a month from now.

Man...I don't own a keyboard with blacks and this would be a cheap way to try them.

Good deals on these mouse pads, too! XL and dual-sided.

Haven't ever really looked into mechanical keyboards other than hearing they're really good compared to generic ones, would this be an improvement for regular office work too or just for gaming?

Last edited:
Mechanical keyboards are great, but you CERTAINLY should be paying attention to the TYPE OF SWITCHES employed.

I'm trying to figure out which switch I'd prefer. I think I'd like the Cherry MX Brown (for typing and not strictly gaming), and not the black or red available here.

I am interested in that XL mousepad though. I'll probably pick up a few because I need some more cables anyway.

Well, I bit. Lord knows I don't need another keyboard but I feel I'm not fully qualified to post in the mechanical keyboard threads without having tried Black switches for myself. I didn't think I'd care for them so I've always gone with Blues/Browns/Reds but some people clearly do like them so I'm gonna see what I think. Snagged up a couple of mousepads too; I was in need of one anyway and didn't really feel like shelling out $20-$40 for a "gamer" pad. Hopefully these are in the same league as the SteelSeries, Razer, and PureTrack pads I was looking at.

dj_2004 said:
Any reviews on the keyboard?

I haven't heard anything really negative; it's just a basic no-frills mechanical keyboard with typical solid build quality. I have no idea how it compares to others in this price range (Rosewill, Leopold, Razer) and I wasn't interested enough at $100 to find out, but at nearly half price things have changed.

Haven't ever really looked into mechanical keyboards other than hearing they're really good compared to generic ones, would this be an improvement for regular office work too or just for gaming?

I guess it depends. If you like the feel of the Black switches, it would absolutely be an improvement for both. However, the consensus is that Blacks are better for gaming than typing due to the characteristics of the switches. But it's extremely subjective; some love them for typing, hate them for gaming, or just can't stand them altogether. Then there are people who say they are great for both. I'm buying one so I can see for myself. I've always been afraid that I wouldn't like Black switches due to the force needed to actuate them but at $58.05 I can finally put my curiosity to rest.

leeleatherwood said:
this is the only thing I can find: http://www.overclock.net/t/1257382/m...oards-any-good

That chart is for the backlit version but I think they are the same (except for the backlight of course)

EDIT: I am not sure if they are the same, they LOOK the same but in the description of the backlit version is shows it supporting macros, the non backlit version does not say that in the description.

One key difference is that the non-backlit version uses Cherry MX Black switches while the backlit version uses Cherry MX Reds.

Good deal. Not really a Black guy myself though. I find them to be too heavy. Browns all the way!

Good deal. Not really a Black guy myself though. I find them to be too heavy. Browns all the way!

So you defied the rumor by proving it IS possible to come back after you go black, and now you're down with the brown? :D

Bit on the keyboard, mouse pad (going to use it as a keyboard pad), some USB cables, DP cable, and an Ethernet cable.

Just got an $80 rebate card yesterday and the total price came out to be $79.95. :cool:

Well, I bit. Lord knows I don't need another keyboard but I feel I'm not fully qualified to post in the mechanical keyboard threads without having tried Black switches for myself. I didn't think I'd care for them so I've always gone with Blues/Browns/Reds but some people clearly do like them so I'm gonna see what I think. Snagged up a couple of mousepads too; I was in need of one anyway and didn't really feel like shelling out $20-$40 for a "gamer" pad. Hopefully these are in the same league as the SteelSeries, Razer, and PureTrack pads I was looking at.

I haven't heard anything really negative; it's just a basic no-frills mechanical keyboard with typical solid build quality. I have no idea how it compares to others in this price range (Rosewill, Leopold, Razer) and I wasn't interested enough at $100 to find out, but at nearly half price things have changed.

I guess it depends. If you like the feel of the Black switches, it would absolutely be an improvement for both. However, the consensus is that Blacks are better for gaming than typing due to the characteristics of the switches. But it's extremely subjective; some love them for typing, hate them for gaming, or just can't stand them altogether. Then there are people who say they are great for both. I'm buying one so I can see for myself. I've always been afraid that I wouldn't like Black switches due to the force needed to actuate them but at $58.05 I can finally put my curiosity to rest.

One key difference is that the non-backlit version uses Cherry MX Black switches while the backlit version uses Cherry MX Reds.

Thanks for the quick runover. I guess a quick trip to Fry's is in order to demo as many switch types as they have available to get in on the sale if I think it's worth it.

Disregard. Just found a guide on another forum.

Which switches are best for gaming? Reds? Blacks?

Last edited:
Tempting, but after having a backlit keyboard for years, I don't think I will ever buy one without that feature again (I game late at night since I work until midnight... backlight has proven quite useful on many occasions). I also think I am going to go with browns when I get a mechanical anyway. I do a decent bit of typing in addition to gaming, so I feel like brown would be the best choice for me.

Disregard. Just found a guide on another forum.

Which switches are best for gaming? Reds? Blacks?

I hate to say it, but there is no "best." Only what YOU prefer. People will tell you which switches they like, but it's so subjective it'd be hard to make a recommendation. You should try to test them out in a store before buying if at all possible. The old mantra was that Blacks were the best switches for gaming, but some people find them tiring to use. And that was before Reds were more widely available on keyboards sold within the US. Though, some feel the Reds are too light and have problems with accidental keypresses.

I always like to suggest Browns as a good all-around switch that does well when typing *or* gaming, but Reds, Blues and Blacks clearly have their merits too.

Also the five button optical laser mouse was on sale today, $11.88, normally $19.80 o_O out of stock though unfortunately?

The keyboards, two choices of gaming surfaces, and some Nintendo ds/ps Vita stuff still on sale until midnight p.s.t.

Gone black, never going back. I tried the blue ones on the Razer and they are terrible.

ok, If you look this keyboard up on Amazon, the description changes slightly from Monoprices website. But the seller on Amazon is Monoprice themselves.

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-Headset/dp/B0081TQ8BW

Features:
* Uses Cherry MX Black switches
* Switches rated for over 50 million keystrokes
* 2 mm keyswitch actuation distance, 4 mm full throw distance
* Requires 60 grams actuation force
* Blue LED lighting for the keylock indicators
* Includes 2-port USB 2.0 hub
* Connections for headset and mic
* Supports 5 sets of 50 macros each
* Cylindrical shaped keytops
* Soft-touch rubberized surface
* Includes attachable wrist rest
* Includes 4 high-visibility orange keytops for replacing the WASD gaming keys

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Great price, depending on shipping / tax. Unfortunately I am not a fan of blacks.

Yeah, good thing I tested some of these out at Fry's before buying blind because the Blacks felt pretty bad compared to the other colors IMO.

Guess I need to do some research. Been using an ABS M1 for the past year or so and absolutely hate it. Buttons are way too firm. Maybe they're okay for gaming if it means the buttons are more resilient to mashing.

I miss the IBM Model M I found on the street back in the day. Raged out one day and smashed it to bits. Bummmmmer

Guess I need to do some research. Been using an ABS M1 for the past year or so and absolutely hate it. Buttons are way too firm. Maybe they're okay for gaming if it means the buttons are more resilient to mashing.

I miss the IBM Model M I found on the street back in the day. Raged out one day and smashed it to bits. Bummmmmer

Props to you if you've been able to stand the M1 for that long. I bought a couple of them when they went on sale for something like $40/ea. at Newegg (plan was one for work and one for home) and I couldn't sell them fast enough. I hated the way those switches felt and the spacebars were plagued with annoying squeaks. I've said before that the M1 feels like work, which is not the sensation you're supposed to get when using a mechanical keyboard. The keys were stiff and resistant and just weren't nearly as enjoyable to type (or game) on as the Cherry switches I've used.

I'm a huge mechanical keyboard proponent but I'd rather use a cheap membrane keyboard than the M1.

ah, i wann pick one up but just found out one in my junks and i think i should use that rather than buying this.

Been wanting to retry a mechanical, its been way too many years since I've had one

how do you find out what type of switches you like if nobody locally has mechanical keyboards on display?

how do you find out what type of switches you like if nobody locally has mechanical keyboards on display?
I read online about the different switches, listened to youtube videos for the noise of the different switches and finally pulled the trigger on Red switches. I wanted quiet and no resistance for gaming and went with the k60. Love it, but wish it was fully mechanical.

Great deal here.

edit.. looks familair..
http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard-nighthawk-x9-red-backlit-mechanical-keyboard.html

Last edited:
I read online about the different switches, listened to youtube videos for the noise of the different switches and finally pulled the trigger on Red switches. I wanted quiet and no resistance for gaming and went with the k60. Love it, but wish it was fully mechanical.

Great deal here.

edit.. looks familair..
http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard-nighthawk-x9-red-backlit-mechanical-keyboard.html

I had a board with reds and found them to be too easy to actuate, so I'd recommend getting blacks if you've got large hands, or type heavily.

I have read the reds press down way to easily.

I myself rest my fingers on the WASD keys, I think the blacks should do me good.

For people that "hover" above their keys, red would probably be best.

yeah i read about all the switches and have watched videos, but the feel obviously is the key.

i think i type a bit heavier than the average person but who knows.

might be worth spending extra $ and buy something locally so i can return it, i dunno

*edit*
i rest my hand on the keys as well and yes, that would be annoying if they were too easy to press

Well, you can either read the guides and try to decide based on the textual info that is provided, you can try to find them in a store and try them there, you can try buying one that you'll be able to return if you don't like it, or you could go to Deskthority and find the thread where someone's selling Cherry switches and buy one or a few of each that interests you (plus find some keycaps for Cherry switches to go on them). Problem is you'd need to find a way to temporarily mount them to something so you can press them and gauge the feeling (not impossible, but how viable that is for you is for you to decide). They're only about $1 per switch, though. Very cheap to buy a few for testing, though expensive to convert a board from one switch to another. 'course if you spend too much time thinking about it (or you end up ordering something), you will miss this sale, but you can get a MX Blue Razer keyboard for not much more (hopefully you end up liking those in that case), and sales will come around again (maybe not from Monoprice, but certainly there will be more mechanical KB sales from other vendors too).

yeah i read about all the switches and have watched videos, but the feel obviously is the key.

i think i type a bit heavier than the average person but who knows.

might be worth spending extra $ and buy something locally so i can return it, i dunno

*edit*
i rest my hand on the keys as well and yes, that would be annoying if they were too easy to press

I don't know many you sound like you would be into blacks. Try it out.

Here is the thing I have reds, browns and blacks, I have personally tried blues because they are easy to find at almost any best buy. All of them feel so much nicer than anything membrane. I really dont think you will be dissapointed. Even if you can try something in a store nothing says you wont find fault with it later. The other thing is if you were to get a mechanical keyboard on a good deal it would be very reasonable to sell it locally to someone for as much as you paid for it.

This keyboard would be a great improvement over any dome keyboard. One thing I've noticed from using both browns and reds is the my wrist fatigue has decreased noticeably. I have early stage carpal tunnel and on my old work keyboard, at the end of the day my left wrist would feel swollen. It's not nearly as bad anymore.

120807 * Requires 60 grams actuation force ? it takes over two ounces wt to press a key? could you guys be a lil clearer what black, brown, blue red designations mean?

Back