Monitor upgrade advice (currently using 32" 1440p 144Hz Samsung)

GotNoRice

[H]F Junkie
I'm looking for upgrade advice for a new monitor, just not sure what good monitors stand out among the noise right now.

My current monitor is a Samsung C32HG70, a 32" 1440p 144Hz monitor which dates back to 2017 or so. This is starting to approach the longest amount of time I've ever used the same monitor as my main monitor. While I'm not completely unhappy with it, I've always felt that a monitor upgrade can be one of the most functional and meaningful upgrades you can do, so I'd like to consider what my options are.

My current monitor has a decent feature-set. I'm still mostly happy with it, but there are some things about it that do bother me:

-Flickering. When using Freesync "Ultimate" (required for 48-144Hz range), there is very noticeable "flickering", manifested via inconsistency in the brightness, causing the "flickering effect".
-Burn-in. This is the first monitor i've ever had where burn-in has actually been an issue. I can still see the Windows 10 Start-Menu icon, despite having been on Windows 11 since Beta. I can even see some of my World of Warcraft UI icons burned-into the screen now if I look hard enough with a grey background.
-Slow time to turn-on. I run 6 monitors. Each time I come back to my desk and move my mouse, 5 of my monitors turn on almost instantly, while I have to wait an extra 2-3 seconds for my main monitor to turn on. I really don't understand why.
-One Displayport input. There are also 2 HDMI inputs, but they don't support the max refresh rate, which means that for all intents and purposes, this monitor only has one useful input.

So what I'd really like is a monitor that doesn't have those faults, while also giving me a feature-set upgrade. I like 32", but could maybe go a bit bigger. I'd like to stick with 16:9, because I like having side monitors for other stuff while I game, and that would be difficult with an ultrawide. I'd like to either get a 4K panel (while retaining at least 144Hz), or if I stick with 1440p, maybe something like 240hz. 4K would probably be more useful. I usually run games at 4K already, using DLDSR. I've mostly stuck with Samsung, my last 3 monitors all being Samsung and using each for ~5-6 years, but after my mediocre experience with this panel, I'm open to other brands.

Ideally $600 or less, but could stretch that if there is something really compelling. I appreciate any recommendations.

Last edited:
Well what's your budget and are you prioritizing speed or image quality?

Good question, I knew I forgot something. Ideally $600 or less, but could stretch that if there is something really good. Gaming is by far my #1 priority, but don't want something that looks completely terrible on the desktop.

If you can stretch it by a few hundred then I would recommend either the Neo G8 for 4K240Hz speed (If you can stomach the gamble with QC on Samsung), or the InnoCN 32M2V for HDR image quality (Warranty on this product is only 1 year and might be sketchy). Both go on sale for $800 so you'll have to keep an eye out and be quick when the deal lands.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a buddy with a CHG90 I think it is, the 144hz 49 monitor. He loves it, but I've noticed a lot of games you miss stuff on the top and bottom if you do the true resolution, but it's no different than doing 2-3 monitors stretched like I did back in the day.

The HDR is buggy for him too so IDK. It's a great deal from the original price, but some people do have some issues with it. My guess is it will be EoL soon, but figured I'd share it anyway for anyone wanting a f#$khueg monitor for cheap. I have the g5 32 or 34 inch curved and been happy as a clam. The other samsungs are also on sale there, as well as some LG and other brands.

I looked up the same monitor you posted about rhkcommander959 on BH Photo Video and it says No Longer Available or discontinued.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?q=LC49G95TSSNXZA&sts=ma

Looks like it is bad for HDR

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/odyssey-g9

Do people or does anyone really want a monitor that large? What the point ? Just wondering.

I know what your waiting for.

Edit, apparently there are two Odyssey G9s: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidem.../odyssey_g9_lc49g97tssnxdc_vs_lc49g95tssnxza/

B&H has the newer "LC49G97TSSNXDC" model for 999, amazon has the older ZA, specs similar.

Last edited:
I have a buddy with a CHG90 I think it is, the 144hz 49 monitor. He loves it, but I've noticed a lot of games you miss stuff on the top and bottom if you do the true resolution, but it's no different than doing 2-3 monitors stretched like I did back in the day.

The HDR is buggy for him too so IDK. It's a great deal from the original price, but some people do have some issues with it. My guess is it will be EoL soon, but figured I'd share it anyway for anyone wanting a f#$khueg monitor for cheap. I have the g5 32 or 34 inch curved and been happy as a clam. The other samsungs are also on sale there, as well as some LG and other brands.

Do either of you all buy longer warranty or not really?

Prime day deal is gonna end soon but the 49" "double QHD or whatever" g9 samsung is 900, and then 15% off, and then 6% rewards if you have an amazon credit card I think. Makes it about 720, that monitor was just 1500. 240hz too

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-49-inch-Odyssey-FreeSync-LC49G95TSSNXZA/dp/B088HH6LW5

It looks cool, but I just don't think that an ultrawide would be the right fit for me. Right now I have a 32" (16:9) in the center, a 27" on each side, and 3 24" monitors across the top for 6 monitors total. I do too many things with the 27" side monitors while gaming to give them up, and an ultrawide would not leave enough room for the side monitors.

If you can stretch it by a few hundred then I would recommend either the Neo G8 for 4K240Hz speed (If you can stomach the gamble with QC on Samsung), or the InnoCN 32M2V for HDR image quality (Warranty on this product is only 1 year and might be sketchy). Both go on sale for $800 so you'll have to keep an eye out and be quick when the deal lands.

I've looked at the Neo G8, but what has turned me off are reviews that say it has flickering issues that sound very similar to what I'm already experiencing with my current monitor. Example:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/vmkkza/with_local_dimming_under_rgb170_pwm_flickering/

I'll have to look into the InnoCN, but I don't really care about HDR since the main game I play does not support HDR, and even if it did, everything in windows usually looks like crap with HDR enabled (way too dim), and having to constantly toggle HDR on and off would be annoying to say the least.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Scanlines too...

I'd go for a gigabyte m32u given what the OP has said. It can be found regularly for $600-650 on sale.

This and other 4K 144Hz IPS can regularly be found on sale for $600 or even less. Seems like the best bet for OP given his use case scenario.

It looks cool, but I just don't think that an ultrawide would be the right fit for me. Right now I have a 32" (16:9) in the center, a 27" on each side, and 3 24" monitors across the top for 6 monitors total. I do too many things with the 27" side monitors while gaming to give them up, and an ultrawide would not leave enough room for the side monitors.
That's one of the points of that thing, you can use their software for a normal screen res in the center and have two "side" monitors but seamlessly.

Sounds like a cool setup though

That's one of the points of that thing, you can use their software for a normal screen res in the center and have two "side" monitors but seamlessly.

Yeah, but if you are going to go with an ultrawide, surely you'd want to use the entire monitor while gaming.

But while the G9 is overkill IMO, it did make me wonder more about ultrawides in general, and if I had maybe jumped to conclusions a bit. I had simply assumed that using an ultrawide would mean no more side monitors. But I looked up the actual width numbers and most 21:9 ultrawide monitors would only be a few extra inches on each side compared to my current 32" 16:9 monitor. I should still be able to manage side monitors. Worse case scenario, I still have a bunch of older 4:3 LCDs in the garage that take up less horizontal space that would work fine as side monitors, even a few matching pairs.

I looked at the Dell AW3821DW and it looks like a good fit for me.
-38" 3840x1600 res that has about the same vertical height as my current 32" monitor (unlike 34" ultrawide monitors which are shorter)
-Increase in both horizontal and vertical resolution compared to my current monitor. Horizontal resolution being the same as 4K should allow watching 4K 2.35:1 movies at native resolution.
-Actual G-Sync module that supports refresh rates much lower than regular Adaptive Sync/Freesync/"G-Sync Compatible". Hopefully this means no more flickering!!!
-"Fast-IPS" panel. While IPS has it's drawbacks, it's a mature tech and should be less prone to issues. As much as I'd love to wait for a nice OLED panel, the fact that I actually caused burn-in on my current VA panel makes me think that OLED would be a disaster for me.

Back