Mobo failure???

Fire488

Limp Gawd
Hello there,
I have the ASUS Striker Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX mobo. recently I have been crashing in game (freezes). I thought that it may have been driver related or heat related. turns out that it was neither. The computer crashed on me the other night and would not re-boot right away. I tried the next morning and it booted fine. (sounds like heat?) A Microsoft error massage appeared and said that my computer recovered from a serious error. It stated a memory failure error was the cause. I dl'd memtest and ms mem test and they all checked out OK. While doing all of this the computer crashed and this time for good. I tried to reset my bios back to standard settings and crashed while in the bios (it froze). The computer will no longer post while trying to reboot. I disconnected all the hd's and removed the ram one at a time to isolate the possible hardware failure. I tried the vid card and the ram on another PC and it worked fine. I even tried my processor on another pc and it worked fine too.I tested the PS on all legs with a volt meter and it is fine. when trying to boot i get no post as I said prior, but also all of the USB ports and other ports are dead on the back of the mobo. Could it be the mobo? Is there any test that I may have missed? I would appreciate any input offered.

What memory are you using specifically? Does that board have a post LED that tells you what the codes are?

CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX - Retail (2 sets, 4 gigs total)

The mobo does have an led post on the back side, but it did not give a code. It remained blank.

This is most of my hardware:

COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
Model #: RC-1000-KSN1-GP
Item #: N82E16811119138

ASUS Striker Extreme LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX The Ultimate Gaming Motherboard - Retail
Model #: Striker Extreme
Item #: N82E16813131074

MSI NX8800Ultra-T2D768E-HD-OC GeForce 8800Ultra 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Model #: 8800UltraT2D768EHDOC
Item #: N82E16814127288

COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-850-EMBA ATX12V / EPS12V 850W Power Supply - Retail
Model #: RS-850-EMBA
Item #: N82E16817171017

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6850 - Retail
Model #: BX80557E6850
Item #: N82E16819115028

2 of CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX - Retail
Model #: TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX
Item #: N82E16820145175

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: WD7500AAKS
Item #: N82E16822136131

SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail
Model #: 226BW
Item #: N82E16824001096

LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model LH-20A1L-06 - Retail
Model #: LH-20A1L-06
Item #: N82E16827106072

ASUS Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E616A3T - Retail
Model #: DVD-E616A3T

Creative 70SB046A00003 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card - Retail
Model #: 70SB046A00003
Item #: N82E16829102014

Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
Model #: ARCTIC SILVER 5
Item #: N82E16835100008

2 of Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
Model #: WD1500AHFD
Item #: N82E16822136011

I tested the PS on all legs with a volt meter and it is fine.

That's a pretty good sign, but unless you tested it under load you'll never know for sure.

Just for shits and giggles, I'd try another PS. ;)

I agree on a new PSU; it's the simplest route IMO (unless you got super OCD about cable management).

When I first built the rig in my sig, which is very similar to yours, I had a very similar problem. I ended up RMA'ing the motherboard, and it ended up being my 8800GTX. It was very very annoying misdiagnosing hardware...

And, I can't tell you how many people I've heard say their PSU ended up being the problem in this case...

Good luck, I really feel for you. I know the headache you're going through right now...

well, I did test the PS while plugged in to the mobo and thats how I got my readings. I don't have another anyway that will work with this mobo plug. I have an older Dell, but their plugs are not like any i am used to. Like I said though, I tried all the rest of the hardware on my brother's PC and it all checked out under load testing. PC Marks tests.
I hope the mobo comes back soon and i will let you all know what it was.
Thanks to everyone for the help.

If there's no error code, it's likely that for whatever reason, the motherboard has inadequate power either because of the PS or because there's a short on the board. I'm with the others....MB.

The mobo has an LED poster on the back side that is supposed to give error codes, but it remains blank. I added a speake to the mobo that also beeps in code if there is an error, but there was no sounds at all. The Asus tech support diagnosed it as a "classic mobo failure". should get the new one back soon.

The mobo has an LED poster on the back side that is supposed to give error codes, but it remains blank. I added a speake to the mobo that also beeps in code if there is an error, but there was no sounds at all. The Asus tech support diagnosed it as a "classic mobo failure". should get the new one back soon.

yeah, I've never seen the LED not light up.

Received an email saying that the cause of the failure was "main system bus short circuit". I am confused by this. Is this the front side bus? I never heard that term used on a mobo before. Anyway, it was the mobo. i spoke with tech support, but due to the fact that i could not understand the tech person due to a bad accent and lack of English speaking ability, I have no idea what he or she said.:)

The "main bus" is the elemental conduit between the processor and the memory--not the northbridge, that actually channels the overflow from the processor. In other words...motherboard=fail.

Heheh..no problem. That's not my favorite motherboard...I've seen similar failures more than is coincidental.

ASUS has had my mobo since 12/05 and has not returned it to date. The estimated return date was 12/18. I asked what the problem was and they said the mobo was obsolete. The chipset failed and they do not have a replacement at this time. I am very frustrated at ASUS.

I checked the RMA info email today and it says that as of today it is repaired. Funny thing is that it says they are closed until monday.

About ASUS RMA: they took 3 weeks to repair a P5E-VM HDMI. Their RMA takes a while, but they should get it back to you.

They found a 680i chipset I imagine since they say it is repaired. I might just bite the bullet and upgrade mobo , ram, and processor to i7. I don't know.

They lied and they also claim that they never said anything about my board being repaired. They say that there are no more 680i of 780 chipsets as they are obsolete and not being made anymore.
They have not sent an offer email yet , but say that they will offer me a Striker Extreme 2 to replace my Striker Extreme.
Is this a fair upgrade?
Thanks.

They lied and they also claim that they never said anything about my board being repaired. They say that there are no more 680i of 780 chipsets as they are obsolete and not being made anymore.
They have not sent an offer email yet , but say that they will offer me a Striker Extreme 2 to replace my Striker Extreme.
Is this a fair upgrade?
Thanks.

Take it - it's better than nothing but you're going to need ddr3 sticks.

OMG! the free mobo replacement is going to cost me $600.00 atleast, to replace my DDR2 ram with DDR3.
Any advice on DDR3 ram to replace my DDr2 or should i take it to another section in these forums?

Back