MMA Champ Is A Gamer

HardOCP News

[H] News
Who would've known that the UFC Light Heavyweight Champion is into gaming. I guess, now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense...you know, because video games = violence. :D

Growing up, I was big on Blitz. Blitz 2000 was my game. I played a lot of that, actually. What else? I played a lot of Splinter Cell. I played a lot of SOCOM: Navy Seals, Call of Duty. Now, I’m a total Undisputed-head.

A "gamer" because he played/plays video games. Getting awfully loose with this definition, I mean hell I guess technically I'm a gamer, but I don't consider myself one :D

Fine fine fine, touch a controller and you are automatically a gamer. Are you happy now?

You two sound very defensive about it. Who cares? He likes games, he named some games he liked. Being a "gamer" isn't some sort of secret society where you have to accumulate 1000 hours in each and every game you play.

There are a few of them that were IT nerds in their former jobs too. All that pent up nerd rage gets released in the cage on some other guys skull! hehe

Just think of playing coop on Kinect with him. One errant sidekick and your gaming days are done. :D

Gamer or not, that is one dude I WON'T be tea-bagging or smack-talking at in game chat. As I don't want to meet that guy IRL, and have him dish out the MMA version of smack-talk, in retaliation. :eek:

Splinter Cell is cool, but all those other games are like jock/console trash.

Gamer or not, that is one dude I WON'T be tea-bagging or smack-talking at in game chat. As I don't want to meet that guy IRL, and have him dish out the MMA version of smack-talk, in retaliation. :eek:

Internet: You're doing it wrong. :D

Some guys being really defensive about what it is to be a 'gamer'. I think anyone who's a fan of the Splinter Cell series is a gamer from that alone.

You two sound very defensive about it. Who cares? He likes games, he named some games he liked. Being a "gamer" isn't some sort of secret society where you have to accumulate 1000 hours in each and every game you play.

That's the point... "who cares" really is where this non-story should have gone. Not bustin' Steve's balls about it either, just the original article.

So let me get this straight, here's a 24 year old, and while growing up as a kid he played video games? Get out of here!

Nik Lentz is probably what people on here would more accept as a gamer. By contrast one his favorite games growing up was Quake 3, and he is currently a masters league SC2 player.

Are we all MMA fighters since we got into fights (with less nuts in the face though) in high school?

Technically you can say anyone is a fighter as long as they've gotten into a fight I suppose. The difference here is one is a professional fighter. This is just like there are varying levels of gamers, some casual, some more hardcore, some who compete in amateur type events, and some who are considered professional.

Calling yourself a gamer is like calling yourself anonymous. Anyone can join in, cause it's not an exclusive club. Also, race car drivers are known to play racing games. It's a good way to practice.

Also, a very good episode from Extra Credits on what is the definition of "Gamer".

http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/gamer

I actually went to high school with him and both of his brothers at UE high school and it is honestly weird seeing him as a fighter because he was never aggressive. I never saw get in a fight but damn is he good. His twin Arthur plays for the ravens and his little brother Chandler, the one I had classes with, just got invited to the NFL combine this year. He definitely comes from an athletic family.

Nik Lentz is probably what people on here would more accept as a gamer. By contrast one his favorite games growing up was Quake 3, and he is currently a masters league SC2 player.

Technically you can say anyone is a fighter as long as they've gotten into a fight I suppose. The difference here is one is a professional fighter. This is just like there are varying levels of gamers, some casual, some more hardcore, some who compete in amateur type events, and some who are considered professional.

And a belt holder, who defended as well.

Splinter Cell has so far been an awesome series, SOCOM I haven't even bothered looking at, never heard of Blitz so it's either really old or not that good, Call of Duty was great right up to Modern Warfare, after that it took a wrong turn.

Based on the way Jon Jones fights I think we are all inside a "game" (the matrix) and he is "the one" :p

Splinter Cell has so far been an awesome series, SOCOM I haven't even bothered looking at, never heard of Blitz so it's either really old or not that good, Call of Duty was great right up to Modern Warfare, after that it took a wrong turn.

Blitz was an awesome football arcade game released in 1997, and it was released on the N64 in 1998. It is still to this day a great arcade style football game. You owe it to yourself to play it. ;)

Now if this was reported on a regular news site it would have been> MMA Champ is a Gamer as the headline and then in the article it would go on to say he plays Angry Birds and Solitare on his cell phone for hours....

Based on the way Jon Jones fights I think we are all inside a "game" (the matrix) and he is "the one" :p

I don't think hes "the one." One thing is for sure the weight class got pretty shallow when it had the deepest talent.

Perhaps 10-15 years ago, this would be news as video games used to be a niche form of entertainment. People who are into video games have to be somewhat dedicated to it as we have to buy dedicated hardware such as consoles or graphic cards just for the sole purpose of playing video games.

Clearly that have changed now. Video game is one of the most accessible form of entertainment as you can play it on existing devices you already own such as smart phone or a laptop. So perhaps the term gamer has lost its meaning.

Calling someone gamer just because they play video games is like coming up with a term for people who listen to music. It makes no sense because everyone listens to music.

Now if this was reported on a regular news site it would have been> MMA Champ is a Gamer as the headline and then in the article it would go on to say he plays Angry Birds and Solitare on his cell phone for hours....
You forgot to ad "...and this proves that video games lead to violent behavior".

Splinter Cell is cool, but all those other games are like jock/console trash.

Actually, the timeframe of the other games, means the COD and Splinter cell games he likely played were much earlier than even current consoles.

Of course, I got a better idea, why not just bash this article, since that's the [H] way of dealing with anything, lol. Heaven forbid he turns out to own an iPhone. Then s[h]it just got serious.

Actually, the timeframe of the other games, means the COD and Splinter cell games he likely played were much earlier than even current consoles.

Of course, I got a better idea, why not just bash this article, since that's the [H] way of dealing with anything, lol. Heaven forbid he turns out to own an iPhone. Then s[h]it just got serious.

Not sure what point you're trying to make with your first comment. I figured he meant the first Splinter Cell, and I guess if it was the first CoD then it was decent. Beyond that, meh.

And the article is being bashed because it's silly. I'm guessing that almost anyone who wasn't totally repressed by their parents and grew up in the 80s and 90s played a video game at some point. Playing games when you were a kid and then growing up to do other things doesn't make you a "gamer". People who still play games regularly would be considered "gamers" (IMO of course).

Back