Mitsubishi 1080p DLP 3D TVs, 73" $1170, 82" $1850, 92" $2000 @Dell

The 73" variety shows up at 929.99 plus tax w/ free shipping for me; 1649.00 + tax w/free shipping for the 82". At that price they are great deals.

I've had a 55" Samsung DLP for years, it was one of the first sets with the 2nd generation DLP technology. Other than some input lag on FPS games, I've had no complaints.

Seriously debating picking up the 73" because my Samsung it starting to get long in the tooth after 1000's of hours of use.

92" is $4000, not $2000 as per your title. I would have been all over that. :(

your thread title says the savings amount instead of the actual price

i went to ces and say their laservue tv. it was nothing special at all. either they didnt know how to showcase their tv or it just looks like lcd tvs. oled and the new plasma was way better.

Obviously DLP isn't the new hotness when it comes to television technology.

That being said, it still makes for some enjoyable movie watching. I got tons of picture-quality compliments on my ancient Samsung DLP, even from owners of LED backlit displays.

My heart and my pocketbook have been arguing all day about whether or not to jump on the 73"

I own the 73" version of the same tv from mitsubishi and the picture quality if fantastic my friends enjoy it over there 32-55inch led lcd tvs any day not only because of the size but the pictue qualit is better than anything we have seen in person.

The OPs set uses standard lamp for backlighting (156~180w at that)

Dunno why Mits farts around not using R/G/B LED backlighting like some of the 2009 Samsung sets did. Laservue isn't that great and are some of the heaviest TV's around today! I think the 73" Laservue was 150lbs.

Nothing wrong with DLP. Just didn't compete wtih well with dropping LCD prices.

Sticking with my 1080p projector.... not sure of the point of this sort of display for this size.

Well, I put my money where my mouth was and bit.

It may not be the greatest tv but 73" for $986.xx after tax + free shipping and 6 months interest free financing is hard to resist, especially when my current tv is dying.

I'll post a review when it gets here.

It would have cost me like $300 in parts to fix the current tv + it would have needed a bulb in the next few months. For twice the price and a quarter of the hassle, I'll now have a bigger tv.

These are good TVs. They are much better than some of the LCDs I see paraded around here.

Their only setback is that they are not thin... but since the vast majority of people never hang their TV on the wall anyway that shouldn't matter much.

+1 for a deal

Their only setback is that they are not thin... but since the vast majority of people never hang their TV on the wall anyway that shouldn't matter much.

+1 for a deal

Exaclty, my current tv isn't wall-mounted so I already have the stand and I'd need somewhere to put my receiver, center channel speaker and htpc anyway.

I've always wanted a projector but have never had a place to put one. This seemed like a great compromise.

i went to ces and say their laservue tv. it was nothing special at all. either they didnt know how to showcase their tv or it just looks like lcd tvs. oled and the new plasma was way better.

But do they make LCD and Plasmas the size of a whole wall for these prices? I would love to take 3 92 inchers and run eyefinity on them making 3 walls in a room.

Nothing wrong with DLP. Just didn't compete wtih well with dropping LCD prices.

Really??? Cause I have not seen a 70" LCD or plasma under $4K and they won't be either when the switch hits for OLED. I bought the 73" 640 (no bells and whistles), found the hidden service menu, calibrated after 200 hrs. on bulb, and the picture is outstanding. More film like than that fake blurred CGI look of LCD/LED.

Plus the 640 was a thanksgiving day special on sale for $699. No, you will never get and LCD at that size for that price. THanks!

I'm still rocking my 50in 720 Sammy DLP. I looked into getting a new set, but everything under $1000 was depressingly poor quality. DLP or go home for me. I seen the 92", and the image is Crystal clear when compared to a 60In LCD....

Really??? Cause I have not seen a 70" LCD or plasma under $4K and they won't be either when the switch hits for OLED. I bought the 73" 640 (no bells and whistles), found the hidden service menu, calibrated after 200 hrs. on bulb, and the picture is outstanding. More film like than that fake blurred CGI look of LCD/LED.

Plus the 640 was a thanksgiving day special on sale for $699. No, you will never get and LCD at that size for that price. THanks!

70" sharp aquos quattron is ~$2400 on amazon. Still more but well under $4k.

Any of us who are also on avsforums already know the pros and cons of the different technologies. Personally, I can see the rainbow effect sporatically when watching DLP, though not enough to be a bother. It is interesting how the precipitous drop in prices on flat screen all but killed the chip based rear projectors. I would have thought that the DLP rear projectors would have gone without wobulation by now.

Having seen the 82" Mitsu in a Magnolia, I was not to impressed with the brightness. Of course, with a bevy of Plasma and LED flat screens about.... Yes, must bring it home to test it proper!

You can get Sharps new 80" LCD for around $4,100 - $4,200. I've not seen one personally but I'm sure it would have a beautiful picture.

The problem I see with the rear projections is that the larger you go, the dimmer they get. It's hard to light a 92" screen, at least from the videos I've seen. You can see how dim they are compared to LED / CFL lit set.

I had a Mitsu 58" for a handful of years and loved it. Replaced the bulb once and we used the heck out of it.

Wait, I take that back. I saw Sharps new 70" LCD, a 2011 model, unsure of the model number, but it was sitting next to a couple of Mitsu 73" and larger rear projections and they were just ghosted out / dim compared to all the LCD's. This was at Nebraska Furniture Mart in Bonner Springs, Kansas at the Legends Complex. Anyone near there can go check them out and see for themselves exactly what I'm talking about.

I still don't get the appeal of a DLP RPTV. Yes they have improved, and the depth is getting smaller... but WHY?

I guess it just comes down to the value and size.

I still don't get the appeal of a DLP RPTV. Yes they have improved, and the depth is getting smaller... but WHY?

Its a 73" TV for less then $1,000 and picture quality for tv and movies is on par with other technologies (from a casual watcher's perspective). Most people also don't mount their tv to the wall and the depth and weight of a DLP is such that you don't need a large stand. That is the appeal of a DLP tv.

Some of us prefer the natural look that dlp and plasma produce. As opposed to the artificially bright picture of LCDs

how bad is the input lag and how viable long term is this tv i.e will it burn out in 2 years? 5? 10?

how bad is the input lag and how viable long term is this tv i.e will it burn out in 2 years? 5? 10?

I have a 6 year old 42" Samsung DLP and I have yet to change the lightbulb. I have read typical life is 5,000 to 10,000 hours. So probably somewhere between 5 - 10 years on average the bulb will go.

I've had my set since 2005, it has probably averaged 3 hours a day, I have never changed the bulb.

I had to replace the color wheel in mine after it was accidentally abused but that was very simple to do.

There shouldn't be input lag.

I caved... was in the market for a true LED TV, but this thing seems to be getting a lot of attention and it's MASSIVE for the price.
Thanks OP.

I caved... was in the market for a true LED TV, but this thing seems to be getting a lot of attention and it's MASSIVE for the price.
Thanks OP.

No such thing as a true LED TV in the average consumer space.

As you said value and size which is why typically when you go into any store you will only see 1 or 2 rear projections and they will be the largest TVs in the store.

Someone quotes a price which was a bad idea for an argumentitive forum but it is rare if possible to ever find an LCD or Plasma as big as a DLP for a price that is close. Typically you must double the price.

But realistically it will not be long before DLP is pushed off to projectors only. Also since i have always had a problem with ghosting and response time on LCDs it might be better on DLPs. I do not know went plasma and never looked back.

your thread title says the savings amount instead of the actual price

Yeah, my bad there. So the 73" and 82" are still good but the 92", although heavily discounted, is way off from what I posted. Sorry; I read it right at first but when I decided to post it here I apparently had a spaz moment.

lol, I posted earlier in this thread that I hadn't replaced my lamp since 2005... well today my lamp burned out.

Now, do I replace the lamp in my 720p set? Or do I simply order a new 1080p set?

decisions, decisions....

The LED dlp's Last alot longer then the Old DLP's that use regual projector lamp's.. Old Lamp's you get 4-5,000 hours. Led Lamps you get over 20k hours. Also it uses less power. Also the Color wheel is not the same in the LED you will be hard pressed to see any rainbow effect in one.

The LED dlp's Last alot longer then the Old DLP's that use regual projector lamp's.. Old Lamp's you get 4-5,000 hours. Led Lamps you get over 20k hours. Also it uses less power. Also the Color wheel is not the same in the LED you will be hard pressed to see any rainbow effect in one.

errr... how do you know these use an LED source?

These are the Tech spec's.. As far as I know all the newer DLP rear projection units in the last few years have used LED for Lighting. At least the higher end ones.

Brand Name: Mitsubishi
Model: WD-73740
Display Technology: LED-lit
Display Size: 73 inches
Image Aspect Ratio: 16:09
Image Contrast Ratio: 40000:1
Resolution: 1080p
Refresh Rate: 120

these are not LED's I dont beleive

they are great though, I have the previous gen, so mine is 13 instead of 8 inches deep

but it doesnt matter, its on a TV stand that 18 inches deep and the picture is great

These are the Tech spec's.. As far as I know all the newer DLP rear projection units in the last few years have used LED for Lighting. At least the higher end ones.

Brand Name: Mitsubishi
Model: WD-73740
Display Technology: LED-lit
Display Size: 73 inches
Image Aspect Ratio: 16:09
Image Contrast Ratio: 40000:1
Resolution: 1080p
Refresh Rate: 120

I don't think that's correct, though I could be wrong.

Dang it OP, just ordered the 73". What kind of stand do these things come with?

Time to do some more shopping then. Any good cheap stands for this size of tv?

Back