Mini itx build in old '30s radio

Small teaser

Looking at getting this old external speaker.

Measurements are ok to fit a radiator in there, and perhaps also an extra pump head.

Then some new hessian fabric to match the speaker and some oil etc for the wood.

Could be nice?

1696864205363.png

1696864177482.png

Do it. any chance of stacking 2 240 rads? Or doing one rad and adding a bigger gpu(with a long AF riser cable?)

Small teaser

Looking at getting this old external speaker.

Measurements are ok to fit a radiator in there, and perhaps also an extra pump head.

Then some new hessian fabric to match the speaker and some oil etc for the wood.

Could be nice?

View attachment 604561
View attachment 604560
What a crazy small speaker for it's time. I think it nicely matches your radio. Would be cool to run a random aux speaker in there and you could just switch it on the fly in windows for neato factor.

Do it. any chance of stacking 2 240 rads? Or doing one rad and adding a bigger gpu(with a long AF riser cable?)
No change of 2x 240 rads sadly, but could go 240x45 and then do push pull if needed.

I found the Asus 3060 TI mini dual which can fit in my radio with a bykski water blok. Currently bidding on one.

So the upgrade plan will be 3060 TI and If I can find a cheap 5600x I might get that as well and then my son can get the Ryzen 5600 and then RX6600.

What a crazy small speaker for it's time. I think it nicely matches your radio. Would be cool to run a random aux speaker in there and you could just switch it on the fly in windows for neato factor.

Yes I thought so to and I got for 15$, so not to bad :)

It measures rougly WxHxD = 30x17x8,5cm according to the seller, but lets see when I get my hands on it :)

Wait. I need to go through the thread again but what RX6600 do you have and where on earth did you find a water block for it?

Edit I went through the thread. Been looking for waterblock instructions for my XFX 6600 because I wanted to know thermal pad thickness(Id like to paint my fan shroud and with the 6600s being a 'budget' card no one seems to make them. Bykski makes one for a different brand. I wonder if the thickness would be the same

.​

Last edited:
Wait. I need to go through the thread again but what RX6600 do you have and where on earth did you find a water block for it?

Edit I went through the thread. Been looking for waterblock instructions for my XFX 6600 because I wanted to know thermal pad thickness(Id like to paint my fan shroud and with the 6600s being a 'budget' card no one seems to make them. Bykski makes one for a different brand. I wonder if the thickness would be the same

.​

If you want I can do some measurements when I get the card out?

Have you tried to remove your heat sink and see the PCB layout for the xfx rx 6600? Maybe it will fit.

If you want I can do some measurements when I get the card out?

Have you tried to remove your heat sink and see the PCB layout for the xfx rx 6600? Maybe it will fit.
I haven't taken it apart. worried about damaging existing thermal pads with no reference to get replacements. I may reach out to XFX and see if they will spill the beans on that it not.

cant you just measure the edge of one?
Well yes but that would require taking the card apart first. I don't want to take it apart, damage a thermal pad and then wait for shipping. I would rather have the thermal pads on hand

Well yes but that would require taking the card apart first. I don't want to take it apart, damage a thermal pad and then wait for shipping. I would rather have the thermal pads on hand
Taking the card apart won't render the pads useless if you're careful. I have never had to replace the stock thermal pads after pulling the heatsink. And I've pulled more heatsinks than I can remember.

Just got my hands on a second hand 5800x and a Asus 3060 TI mini dual V2.

I need a waterblock and I saw that this German company sells a nice looking block for the GPU:
https://www.liquidextasy.de/gpu-wasserkuehler/nvidia/rtx-30xx-series/wasserkühler-narrow-asus-rtx-3060-ti-dual-8g-mini-detail.html

Anybody have any experience with them, looks really nice and easier for me with a German company since I live in Denmark.
I was just going to tag you in that thread on the forums and see you beat me to it. I haven't used them, but all of the replies in the thread as positive.

So I got my self a NEXT high flow sensor and installed that to some measurements.

Setup:
ID6,5mm hoses
CPU block: Coolermaster ML120 RGB head (the one if have been using all the time.
GPU Block: None, I bypassed it since I'm running my Asus 3060TI with air cooling atm.

Result: ~ 80 L/h

To be honest I was expecting more.

So I also received my GPU block (for the Asus 3060TI) and my CPU block from Liquid Extasy.

Getting ready to mount the CPU cooler:
Cpu fitting.JPG

Fitting GPU Block, looking damn sexy:
GPU fitting.jpg

All hoses in place and 2 hour leak test:
Overview.jpg

Close up of GPU and CPU:
GPU closeup.jpg

Cpu close up.jpg

So tried to do the flow measurement again.
Setup:
Hoses: all hosee are ID10, expect one hose which is still ID6,5 (missing a connector).
GPU Block: Liquid Extasy for Asus 3060TI mini
CPU Block: Liqud Extasy for AM4

Result ~ 145 L/h

Much better flow with the new hoses and blocks also did a quick 10 minutes OCCT power test and CPU was around 58°C and GPU Hotspot was around 60°, so that seems good so far.

So I think maybe my GPU water block is not as effective as I thought or maybe it is fine.

What do people think?

Loading GPU/CPU to max in OCCT temps seems to be:

Ambient temperature around 23-24C.
Intake coolant temp 31c
Exhaust coolant temp 30c
CPU max 55C
GPU hot spot 64-65C
GPU memory 57-58C
GPU temperature 50-52C
FLOW 145 L/h
Fan speed is around 80%
Alphacool 360x30mm rad ST30 with 6 noctua NF A12x25 in push pull

Ok I'm a little less worries now :)

I guess I could add another rad to see if I can decrease the exhaust temp compared to ambient and perhaps run with a little less fan speed?

Ok I'm a little less worries now :)

I guess I could add another rad to see if I can decrease the exhaust temp compared to ambient and perhaps run with a little less fan speed?
I think the current form factor and temps are super cool. No reason to get carried away with loop temps if it's already more then sufficiant.

If anything see how much you can overclock these parts in the current configuration.

Did some testing in CS2 for 1,5hours and with fans at 900 RPM and pump at full speed GPU hotspot stays around 60-61°C and CPU temp is somewhere around 50-55°C.

Delta between water temp and ambient is 6-7C° and water is around 28-29°C.

So I'm happy, now I just need to get it back in the radio again

So the PC is back in the radio again and temps seems to be fine when gaming and doing occt power test.

Only really annoying thing is some sort of drone noise from the pump, which only seems to be there when pc is installed in the wood case.

I'm thinking something is resonating, but not really sure how to get rid of the sound.

I also made a duct and reversed the exhaust fan so it blows fresh air over the mainboard chipset and mosfet heatsink and towards the PSU.
So now the fresh air enters from the rear fan and the bottom fans and then it goes out in the front and PSU.
duct1.jpg

duct2.jpg

So it seems that the noise comes from my angled fitting that goes to the top of the reservoir.

It is touching the wall slightly, so I'm thinking that I could tap and drill a hole in the top cap of the reservoir and move the fitting to there instead.

So it seems that the noise comes from my angled fitting that goes to the top of the reservoir.

It is touching the wall slightly, so I'm thinking that I could tap and drill a hole in the top cap of the reservoir and move the fitting to there instead.
You could also jank it and throw a rubber square between it and the housing.

Still some noise/drone and I also tried with some rubber strips to place the case on and that helped as well.

1000004045.jpg

Just doing some testing without the front to see if I can remove the last pump noise. Think it must be between my main alu plate and the wood case, maybe I could add some kind of foam or rubber.

1000004044.jpg

Cut some gasket from a 1mm rubber sheet to try and damp some of the vibration.

Two small ones for the mounting bracket at the pump and a large one that goes between the wood case and the bottom alu plate.

1000004064.jpg

1000004063.jpg

Back