Minecraft

not sure if hashland needs a reboot, but it's unplayable with 2 people on there. I think my ping was 100-150 or so and the netgraph looked pretty good. Hopefully he can fix this crap...

HashLand Is Down. I am moving server hosts.

I've already retrieved my files from the old host, and I am about to upload the server to my dropbox.

Later today I will have the new address to the new server. I guarantee it won't be horrible like the previous host. Thuleman you might be happy to know, the new host is on Xen not OpenVZ. Hopefully that will add to the performance of the server.

Thanks everyone for being patient, and by tonight ( Hopefully :p ) the new server will be up and we may actually be able to warp and chat normally again! lol
Edit: Tonight might be a pessimistic prediction... Hopefully by 1:00pm - 2:00pm CST. ( Central Time.. Texas time. ) or earlier! =)
:cool:

Last edited:
Later today I will have the new address to the new server. I guarantee it won't be horrible like the previous host. Thuleman you might be happy to know, the new host is on Xen not OpenVZ. Hopefully that will add to the performance of the server.
Brilliant! That's awesome news indeed. ;)

Is hashland like [H]'s playground?

hashland is one the H playground. We have like 7-8 dedicated players on it , many HUGE community project ( my own wich is pirate cove and corsair bay). We have loose rules , mainly respect. To build on it you need to ask Ojax(hashmang) to give you builders right.

Oh... and im the king on the server. Dont question me EVER!

Has the client/server improved? I stopped playing SMP since it was borderline unplayable after some of the recent updates

Well you judging the performance of Beta from jumping on HashLand server, you had a poor encounter hehe, as the server was running with a 9.4 mb / disk write speed since the first, second day of beta.. Performance is slightly worse overall, as beta is using more resources and the memory leak bug is seemingly lost in the bug list and deemed less important than others by the looks of it..

Even with HashLand's brutal performance, our dastardly players have still built some incredible things, and the Cove and Corsair Bay are coming along so well.. Ziggbie's wall probably added to the shitty performance lol.. It surrounds his entire nation, and the walls are hollow, and dug out deeper inside in areas.. You would need a carto program to be able to see the entire wall from above, as it extends off past the loaded chunk many times lol.

I am soon going to be finalizing the server and I hope to have it back up real soon! =)

Scenes from last night:

Hard at work, filling the sewers with water...
20110102014216.png

Everyone's in on the job!
20110102013625.png

Trying to catch a fish in the sewers...
20110102013805.png

Success!
20110102013813.png

Hash encases our legs in cement, and drops us into the water...
20110102013558.png

And we drown as he looks upon us smugly.
20110102013559.png

What a dick.
20110102015236.png

hash, i know on hardcraft he posted up an overview map of the world, any way you could do that with hashland? very interested to see how it looks from above and different angles.

the map programs are pretty awesome if you've never used them. hardest part is finding a host to throw them up. I've got a flickr account with unlimited space if you need me to put it up

LMFAO.. So that was the creeper behind the bar lol.. I didn't know he added those signs lol.. Wow that's nasty! Yet... Seemingly acceptable for signs in a Creeper bar... I've been (insert raunchy sexual attack) by many Creepers lol.. ;D

My pig face is perfect lol.. The eyes just make me laugh.. I wasn't trying to bury you guys, I couldn't focus on where you were! haha

That face.. Is my reaction to, "Beta's Here! =D" from Notch. ;)

I will work on getting a cartograph of the server tonight. Since I have the most recent updated world as of last night on my desktop, I might as well crop out a few shots, and perhaps upload the massive, uncropped image to my dropbox.. Not too massive, just reasonably big, like the Hardcraft image that was posted :)

Awesome shots Desk! =D

hey hash, have you read anything about hMod being basically discontinued?

They said most of the developers have moved onto a new server wrapper called Bukkit(silly name)

It will make things a bit difficult for plugin developers, but they say that hMod is horribly single threaded which causes severe performance loss on heavily active servers, and bukkit is going to be multithreaded so performance is predicted to be greatly increased when dealing with Plugin related actions in game.

From the plugin dev that makes Craftbook, World Guard, and World Edit.

The two major problems with hMod are:

* hMod has some deeply-rooted problems in how it handles some things, and a lot of code is messy and inefficient.
* hey0 has stated that he has moved on from hMod and is no longer interested in maintaining it. He has not committed a single commit beyond on some simple ones for the past several months, and he has inconveniently disappeared for long periods at a time without giving anyone else the keys, making it hard for anything to release hMod or do anything worthwhile with hMod without him present (and he has historically not been present).

These problems are not new; they have been discussed at length for the past few months, and it was only recently that the Bukkit project was started. With that said, you should notice that when b132 and b133 were released, they were (and are still) missing very critical hooks and features (namely inventory-related hooks) and no one since then had added them -- this is because hMod has already been abandoned. At this point, no one will be developing hMod and possibly be even fixing it come next Minecraft update.

I wouldn't read too much into the Bukkit announcement. As far as plugin developers and users are concerned, a lot of it is the same on the outside. Yes, plugins will have to be ported, but see this like ~build 100 that caused all hMod plugins to break. It does do new things, but these new things could have always done with hMod with the necessary changes. Ultimately, Bukkit exists because hey0 frankly stopped caring and has been an awfully unhelpful project leader.

All plugins will have be ported over to work with Bukkit. The interface is very similar but not exactly the same.

With due respect to hey0, he has done a good job for what he has done, but he frankly just hasn't been around.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1023&t=123492

Last edited:
If you need webspace I can drop it on one of my websites!

Edit: im referring to the cartograph. btw.

hey hash, have you read anything about hMod being basically discontinued?

They said most of the developers have moved onto a new server wrapper called Bukkit(silly name)

It will make things a bit difficult for plugin developers, but they say that hMod is horribly single threaded which causes severe performance loss on heavily active servers, and bukkit is going to be multithreaded so performance is predicted to be greatly increased when dealing with Plugin related actions in game.

From the plugin dev that makes Craftbook, World Guard, and World Edit.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1023&t=123492

No I have not read anything about that. I've been busy the last few days, and I haven't been through the forums as intensely..

Wow.. So HMod looks to be abandonware.. *cough*GOOD*cough* hehe..

A great majority of the SMP plugins are developed for HMod, so they will all just follow suit and switch over to Bukkit (wtf) when it takes over.. That reply was from the developer of WorldGuard.. So if WorldGuard is supported with Bukkit right off the bat, we could move to Bukkit with little to no problems.. Just broken plugins.. They are friggen broken atm anyways.. :p

Thanks Greatone I will look into this more and stay on top of that thread. :)

Perfect sewers for me to POOP IN!

ill be on tonight guys. I need help with a secret project for initiate ONLY! A secret area in pirate cove.

Perfect sewers for me to POOP IN!

ill be on tonight guys. I need help with a secret project for initiate ONLY! A secret area in pirate cove.

The AARRRRber shop can wait. Count me in!

Found this which talks about how much memory is needed per player and more importantly why that memory is needed and how it all works. Pretty interesting and fairly short read.

TL;DR version is that players use server memory because a "bubble" of blocks is created around them by the server. The more these bubbles overlap the less memory is needed.

http://minecraft.codeemo.com/helpdoc_ram.html

Found this which talks about how much memory is needed per player and more importantly why that memory is needed and how it all works. Pretty interesting and fairly short read.

TL;DR version is that players use server memory because a "bubble" of blocks is created around them by the server. The more these bubbles overlap the less memory is needed.

http://minecraft.codeemo.com/helpdoc_ram.html

That's a great link Thuleman! Everyone should read it and understand the mechanics of the server. :)

Haha thats why the server ran better when Hash was online... everybody would start working on the cove instead of their own projects!

whens the server going to be up again!!!!

Server won't be up for another 12 - 18 hours, no later than 24 hours from now. Brand new node. Sunday.. Shipping delays etc.. It will be up tomorrow, on Monday. Until then let's all relax, get some sleep, and be ready for tomorrow afternoon / evening. :)

Server will be very nice. :D Design a project on paper or some graphics program and have it ready to build for tomorrow! :p

Server won't be up for another 12 - 18 hours, no later than 24 hours from now. Brand new node. Sunday.. Shipping delays etc..
That makes me afraid to ask ..., it really does ..., who's the provider?

I don't have a whole lot of experience, only with Liquidweb and linode, but both provision VPS essentially in seconds. I am not complaining, I am just worried that this is a repeat of the provisionhost issues.

Just got back in town. Looks like I missed a little fun. I hope the new server delivers!

Would an octocore improve my fps performance? lol

Darn I meant hexacore.

Last edited:
That makes me afraid to ask ..., it really does ..., who's the provider?

I don't have a whole lot of experience, only with Liquidweb and linode, but both provision VPS essentially in seconds. I am not complaining, I am just worried that this is a repeat of the provisionhost issues.

I Seriously dont care who host as long as its better than the last one Ojax paid for us. It was a pain in the ass for him to pay for a bad service like that. I would have been in a bad fuckin mood if I had to be in his situation.

Cant wait for the new server! Ojax youre da second man! (im the first)

Ok now... I WANT MY MINECRAFT NOWWWWWWWWWW!

just in time to stress test my 6970 :D

i'm at work, and unlike Friday, i actually have to work today... lol

cant play till tonight.

i want the MAP! i wanna show off the cove to everyone!

Bah arr4ws! What program did you recommend using to generate the massive image of our world? I can't seem to find one that works, or works with Beta.. however, I am assuming they all should work with Beta worlds..

Our world is 130 MBs now too! :O

Edit: Nevermind, Found a program called Minemapper that seems to be working. I am generating the world now.. =D

Last edited:
oh and as an update, my performance issues on my ubuntu laptop ARE completely related to the intel onboard video.

my work system is ubuntu 10.10 running some cheapie at 3450 or something and it ran like tits with only 2gb of ram

where as my MUCH higher spec laptop(minus shit video) runs like assholes.

oh and as an update, my performance issues on my ubuntu laptop ARE completely related to the intel onboard video.

my work system is ubuntu 10.10 running some cheapie at 3450 or something and it ran like tits with only 2gb of ram

where as my MUCH higher spec laptop(minus shit video) runs like assholes.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1522180

:D (yea, maybe not the best solution)

ya

the thing though is i play on the laptop when i'm not home

when i'm home,

i've got 2 awesome machines i play on.

:-(

i need a better laptop

Ah ok, that makes sense. I tried to play on my laptop...it works but it's so horrid I just won't play on it.

Back