microstutter / stutter 100% FIX!

ARGH_SLI

Weaksauce
Dxtory. Download it, install it, run it, go to advance tab, enable FPS limiter to 30, never lag / stutter again as long as the framerate never dips below this. Its a frame cap limiter. Eliminates any frame rate anamolies, even multi-gpu microstuttet. Works in any game / benchmark. you can set your fps higher if you need a faster more precise gameplay, As long as the fps doesnt dip below this setting. Never be bound by gpu drivers again.

Good program but there needs to be a better solution. People don't buy dual and tri or even quad card setups to cap their fps to 30 or even 60. If I can cap to 120fps and maintain that speed then I'd say I would be happy but I don't speak for everyone.

30 fps is completely unplayable in many games.

30 fps is considered liquid in the video game industry and is the target frame rate of the biggest franchises like gears of war, halo seires, nattlefield, etc. So if 30 fps is unplayable for you then it would not be possible to have played those games i briefley mentioned. If you have never experienced smooth 30 fps because the gpu maketers push high frames over the smoothness of frame output, i feel for you and now the fix is here for everyone.

never be mislead by the marketing departments of gpu makers again. You dont need super high framerates and the newest cards to enjoy enjoy smooth gaming experience.

30 fps is considered liquid in the video game industry and is the target frame rate of the biggest franchises like gears of war, halo seires, nattlefield, etc. So if 30 fps is unplayable for you then it would not be possible to have played those games i briefley mentioned. If you have never experienced smooth 30 fps because the gpu maketers push high frames over the smoothness of frame output, i feel for you and now the fix is here for everyone.

never be mislead by the marketing departments of gpu makers again. You dont need super high framerates and the newest cards to enjoy enjoy smooth gaming experience.

I like my racing games to be 60 fps.
It depends on the game for me.

go away. far far away.

Dxtory. Download it, install it, run it, go to advance tab, enable FPS limiter to 30, never lag / stutter again as long as the framerate never dips below this. Its a frame cap limiter. Eliminates any frame rate anamolies, even multi-gpu microstuttet. Works in any game / benchmark. you can set your fps higher if you need a faster more precise gameplay, As long as the fps doesnt dip below this setting. Never be bound by gpu drivers again.

do you even know what microstutters are?

example;

Works for skyrim if you have amd gpu and are experiencing stutters in the game. Set fps to 30-35 and smooth gameplay. I am not even waiting for drivers from amd anymore for the game.

example;

Works for skyrim if you have amd gpu and are experiencing stutters in the game. Set fps to 30-35 and smooth gameplay. I am not even waiting for drivers from amd anymore for the game.

be quiet. be very very quiet.

Microstutter has nothing to do with framerate caps, son. Please have a clue of what you are speaking about in the future. Bye.

P.s. it is uneven frame times, not framerate, son. A lower framerate would worsen the issue if present. Please don't insult us any further with misinformation.

i assume this won't introduce input lag like vsync does? is this program legit?

edit: 2legit2quit? heyyyyy heyyyyyyyy.

this someone lost all credibility by using gears of war and halo as examples

BF3 stutters in multi-gpu mode whenever frame rates dip below your locked vsync setting. For example, with a 60 hertz monitor whenever the frames are below 60 the game stutters. This is not classic microstutter but something else related. It doesnt matter the reason for non-fluid frames, just set the fps limit like i am advising.

So for me and BF3 i no longer am at the mercy of gpu drivers or a fix from the game developer. so instead of running the game at lower graphic fidelity to ensure 60 fps or higher, i can just set the fps to 30 and run the game on ultra with 4x aa @ 1080p with 6870 crossfire setup.

I can run a higher framerate but since caspian border 64 player brings the frames to mid-30's often times in heavy firefights i no longer worry about the game stuttering or experiencing fluidity issues.

Good program but there needs to be a better solution. People don't buy dual and tri or even quad card setups to cap their fps to 30 or even 60. If I can cap to 120fps and maintain that speed then I'd say I would be happy but I don't speak for everyone.

I use Bandicam to cap my FPS at 130 (10 more than 120Hz just so no screen tearing). I get zero micro-stutter. Micro-stutter is much less of a problem if you keep your FPS real high at all times, above your monitors refresh rate. Even if you do get any micro-stutter, it is much less apparent that way.

I use Bandicam to cap my FPS at 130 (10 more than 120Hz just so no screen tearing). I get zero micro-stutter. Micro-stutter is much less of a problem if you keep your FPS real high at all times, above your monitors refresh rate. Even if you do get any micro-stutter, it is much less apparent that way.

Multi-gpu based microstutter rears its ugly head when frame rate dips below 45. Its also heavily influenced by driver support. If its present in the game you are running it can be very annoying to play at 40 fps because it feels like 16 fps.

Even if you set the FPS limit to 30 (or 60 or whatever), that is a frame rate cap - it doesn't magically make the game run at that frame rate. So how is this supposed to keep the game engine from rendering a slow frame and causing the stutter?

Even if you set the FPS limit to 30 (or 60 or whatever), that is a frame rate cap - it doesn't magically make the game run at that frame rate. So how is this supposed to keep the game engine from rendering a slow frame and causing the stutter?

It works like vsync. The frames are capped. They will not go higher than what you set them to. gpu load also decreases along with temps, like vsync.

Ya, also saves power as you aren't rendering frames that just get discarded. Keep your frame rates up high and micro-stutter is virtually a non-issue. I wouldn't want to be running games below 60 FPS anyway.

Yea LIQUID SHIT! And yes, I have a ps3 & a 360 and I have those games and yes they are unfucking playable compared to 120hz computer gaming.

lol liquid shit indeed. if you want 30fps, buy an xbox 360.

Truthfully, right around 30 fps, I can no longer see the difference.

32 fps, 3000 fps, all the same to me

Ok, I think 90% of us can tell the difference between 30 and 60fps so we won't be setting the limit that low. But, I can say (as I said in my thread), using a fps limiter along with vsync can help situations where u get stutter. Can't speak fr Nvidia users but some people have big issues with AMD and vsync that seem driver related (like it f's up trying to sync) and get lots of unwarrented 60fps stutter. For whatver reason having a limiter running clears it up mostly (skyrim being a recent example).

Use RadeonPro to enable triple buffering while vsync is on with aggressive api detection level.

And no OP, that is NOT a fix to microstutter.

It works like vsync. The frames are capped. They will not go higher than what you set them to. gpu load also decreases along with temps, like vsync.

It still doesn't keep it from having a frame rate lower than what you set. Or keep the GPU from taking longer to render a specific frame than it does to render the rest, which is what causes the stutter.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/21516

Yea LIQUID SHIT! And yes, I have a ps3 & a 360 and I have those games and yes they are unfucking playable compared to 120hz computer gaming.

lol, thanks for saving me the time, I'm still in disbelief that there is an actual conversation taking place about 30 fps being 'fluid' lol

Troll? Spam? I don't know, but I have 2 rigs w/ CF and SLI and do not have stutter on either, in any of over 100 games i've tested....At worst, crossfire doesn't scale in as many games, and for those, I turn it off. This should be a last resort for only the most persistent of problems. But 99% of these issues come down to CPU bottleneck in low resolution (even 1080p and less) + multi gpu setups.

This isn't a 100% fix because this isn't a 100% problem. Most often only happens if you don't know how to pair GPUs and CPUs appropriately with your target resolution.

The OP is right. Try it first before dissing him. Capping the framerate DOES lessen/eliminate microstuttering depending on the game.

You don't have to set it to 30, you should set it to your minimum fps. This solution has some drawbacks obviously, "wasting" fps when you are in areas where the fps are high enough so that one doesn't perceive microstutter.

Dxtory (or any other fps limiter for that matter) is useful only IF you dip so low (where microstuttering occurs) quite often - which is the case if you play with advanced image quality features like SSAA/downsampling/eyefinity ...
Only then would I recommend this tool. If you play so that you get 60fps or need 60+fps (shooters), it is not for you. I have tried Dxtory extensively for quite some time and I'm very happy with it. I too can see the difference between 30 and 60 (and sometimes 120) fps. The point is, IF you play at settings where you only get 30-40fps that feel like 20-25, a smooth 30 is way better.

Oh and btw...if your CPU bottlenecks your SLI/CF setup, microstutters will decrease (again depending on the game/settings). For maximum fps/best scaling a fast CPU is good of course if you are (at least in part) still CPU bound.

@OP:
You should have posted some frametime measurements with/without the limiter. There are alway people that have very little idea about something and are first to cry BS. Give them proof and they will shut up :)

Mafia 2, 1920x1536, 8xSGSSAA
y-axis is frametime in ms, x-axis is number of rendered frames

Without a limiter the microstuttering is extreme below even 50fps. Unplayable. With dxtory it is buttery smooth. If you convert the values for 2 consecutive frames back to fps (reciprocal value) then you see that the framerate seems to jump between 16fps (60ms frametime) and 166fps (6ms frametime). The sum still is 66ms for 2 frames, so 33ms for one frame which equals 30fps. I'm not sure if you can calculate it this way, but the fact is, the frametimes are extremely uneven and gameplay is very very choppy.
Doesn't have to be this way in every game, this is just an example where it is painfully evident.

Last edited:
i never go below 60fps anymore so i always play buttery smooth. Yay for high end card SLI.

also, nvidia has less of a problem with the stutter than the current gen ati cards :)

Multi-gpu based microstutter rears its ugly head when frame rate dips below 45. Its also heavily influenced by driver support. If its present in the game you are running it can be very annoying to play at 40 fps because it feels like 16 fps.

There's no set framerate at which microstuttering occurs. This statement alone makes it clear you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

I may try this is a replacement for Vsync at 60 FPS. If it could prevent tearing and not cause my framerate to dip unnecessarily below 60 I may try it.

30 FPS is not good though. Discerning gamers can definitely tell it's not as smooth as it can be.

Unfortunately, a framelimiter is no substitute for vsync, as it doesn't eliminate tearing. But the beauty of Dxtory is, that you can set it at any framerate. 30, 34, 41, 60, 115...whatever you like. When you have dips below 60, it's not due to vsync but your settings are to high.

It sounds as the same as v-sync does

The disadvantage of VSync is, that the total frame rate can never exceed the refresh rate of the monitor. So if your system is set to use 60 Hz in the given resolution, the frame rate can never exceed 60 frames per second. But since the monitor isn't capable of displaying more than 60 distinct images per second, a higher frame rate doesn't do much good anyway.
Another disadvantage is, that if the game doesn't use three buffers for rendering the scene (a so called triple buffer), the frame rate cannot fluctuate freely. Only integer fractions of the monitor's refresh rate (i.e. 1/1, 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5 etc.) are possible. In the case of the refresh rate of 60Hz, the only possible framerates would be 60fps, 30fps, 20fps, 15fps, 12fps...
So in many cases the framerate will "jump" from 60 to 30 frames per second, which can be quite noticeable. As long as the graphic card can maintain the 60 frames per second at all times, this doesn't hurt at all, but every drop below 60 fps will reduce the actual framerate to 30 fps. Again, this effect can avoided completely, if the game uses triple buffering. Unfortunately, the game itself has to request a triple buffer, there is no way of forcing them through the driver.

Of course you can force triple buffering through the driver. Nvidia has been doing it in DirectX apps automatically since I can remember. At least 6 years. You can even force it in OpenGL, but there you have to do it manually afaik. Don't know how it's handled on the Radeon side.

As I said, I use Dxtory, and if I disable vsync, I get tearing. Could be that it helps a little bit, but not much.

Back