• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Microsoft's Security Essentials Is Live & Free

Maybe you need to update (?).

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/8250/mse.png/IMG]

I'm using vista x64 also.[/QUOTE]

Yea that is the older "leaked" build.

Uninstall that and install the official build posted today.
 
Probably a dumb question, especially since the software is so new, but has anyone have an informed comparison between this and Avira Personal? I'm currently using Avira on three of my systems here, and though I've been generally satisfied with it, the pop-up ad that it opens every time it updates any of its files has been annoying the hell out of me lately. If it compared favorably to Avira I may make the switch to this instead.
 
Did you install the right version for your OS?

Yeah, actually, while certainly no fan of MS, part of my frustration is misplaced and should rightly be directed at Fujitsu. I bought this laptop probably 1.5 years ago with Vista home on it and the POS will not take SP1. I have been on with Fujitsu tech support and they are like "oh yeah, that hardware does not support SP1...sorry" I'm like WTF! its not like windows service packs are a new thing, I buy a spanking new laptop with an OS and it won't load the first SP??? Anyway, it won't, and that's probably the problem with WSE I am guessing. Though you would think that MS could, oh I don't know, DETECT the state of my OS before letting WSE install itself into oblivion? Too much to ask I suppose.

Fujitsu...never again
 
PEBKAC? maybe, more likely between design envelope running out and marketing department at Fujitsu methinks.
 
Probably a dumb question, especially since the software is so new, but has anyone have an informed comparison between this and Avira Personal? I'm currently using Avira on three of my systems here, and though I've been generally satisfied with it, the pop-up ad that it opens every time it updates any of its files has been annoying the hell out of me lately. If it compared favorably to Avira I may make the switch to this instead.

I switched from Avira, personally, and so far I like it.

By the way, if you want to get rid of that pop-up, go to the avira directory and find the avnotify,exe file, open its properties, security tab, and hit Edit. Then click the check boxes for denying read and write.
 
I switched from Avira, personally, and so far I like it.

By the way, if you want to get rid of that pop-up, go to the avira directory and find the avnotify,exe file, open its properties, security tab, and hit Edit. Then click the check boxes for denying read and write.

Thanks for the info! If I don't end up ditching Avira for MSE I'll definitely give that a try. The pop-up ad is getting more than a little annoying.
 
You do NOT have to uninstall your beta MSE to obtain the final/public release. You should receive an upgrade notice from MSE and upgrade automatically through MSE. This will install the final/public release.

I mention this b/c MS's site is ambiguous ("Beta users: Upgrade to latest version of Microsoft Security Essentials") and the issue of beta testers upgrading was touched upon in this thread. I realizes the issue answers itself in due time, but figured those who haven't yet received the "upgrade" notification within MSE can save themselves the uninstall/reinstall process (I've always been averse to uninstalling any antivirus program).
 
This is excellent, my Eset license ran out and I've been on a trial for a couple months, hehe.
 
You do NOT have to uninstall your beta MSE to obtain the final/public release. You should receive an upgrade notice from MSE and upgrade automatically through MSE. This will install the final/public release.

I mention this b/c MS's site is ambiguous ("Beta users: Upgrade to latest version of Microsoft Security Essentials") and the issue of beta testers upgrading was touched upon in this thread. I realizes the issue answers itself in due time, but figured those who haven't yet received the "upgrade" notification within MSE can save themselves the uninstall/reinstall process (I've always been averse to uninstalling any antivirus program).

I haven't gotten any sort of upgrade notification. Manually updating through MSE puts me at v. 1.0.1500.0. Downloading the client from the official page and running it (you don't have to uninstall, it automatically recognizes that you've got the beta installed) puts me at v. 1.0.1611.0.
 
You do NOT have to uninstall your beta MSE to obtain the final/public release. You should receive an upgrade notice from MSE and upgrade automatically through MSE. This will install the final/public release.

I mention this b/c MS's site is ambiguous ("Beta users: Upgrade to latest version of Microsoft Security Essentials") and the issue of beta testers upgrading was touched upon in this thread. I realizes the issue answers itself in due time, but figured those who haven't yet received the "upgrade" notification within MSE can save themselves the uninstall/reinstall process (I've always been averse to uninstalling any antivirus program).

They don't say you have to uninstall the Beta, they just tell you to upgrade.

Manually checking for an update in the Beta says I'm up to date.

If you download and run the final build from MS with the Beta installed it says its an Upgrade installation.

Works fine.
 
Does the regular version throw an error when trying to install on WHS like some other free AV's?

Haven't tried it yet....... was wondering if someone had tried already or knew one way or another.

I'd prefer not to BSOD my WHS box.
 
Did you happen to have an anti-virus program installed while installing MSSE?

McAfee and Norton may cause some conflict with MSSE. It has for me and a couple of friends.

BSOD

POS

uninstalled

thanks MS
 
Sorry for double posting. Didn't want to mix assistance with impressions.

So far I'm impressed with MSSE. The quick scan function is the fastest I've ever seen with an AV program. The protection is excellent.

To test, I've went to sites known to be infected with viruses and malware. MSSE prevented malicious code from running on my test system better than Avast!, AVG and a few others.
 
Did you happen to have an anti-virus program installed while installing MSSE?

McAfee and Norton may cause some conflict with MSSE. It has for me and a couple of friends.

nope, spybot is still installed but I had killed the resident, ZoneAlarm is installed but it didn't say anything about firewall. I scrubbed the avast off b4 install.

thanks for the suggestion, I would no sooner have norton or mcaffee on my box than realplayer.
 
So what about Windows Defender, shut it down, which I already have since that is what I believe MS uses to get other files on my machine with out my knowledge. I use Eset Security. I'm not in that group of people who believe that if one is good then three must be better. Is this program suppose to replace all the rest.
 
Ok so i suscribed to this last year ...it was like 50$. I then get an email from MS that they are discontinuing the service. Now it's alive and free. WTH?

We all win I guess. I was actually kinda bummed when they sent me email to cancel it. I liked it. Try it out you may too. Looks like Im uninstalling Avast again. Nothing against Avast they have always been good to me with all the porn I look at. I liked the features in the MS one better though..and I never got a virus with MS AV either.


Porn is bad. Don't look at it. Especially without a good updated AV on your rig.

Peace.
 
As good as AVG has been to me, I'm gonna have to try this out. Now I'm actually a paying MS customer I may as well take advantage of genuine... advantage.

Will be good to get my parents onto it too, pry them free of the copy of Mcrappy the salesman insisted they needed.
 
I just removed NOD32 because it expired and figured I try this new MS Essentials software. At first it seemed great, but then I realized it had slowed my computer to a snails pace. Opening the quick launch menu on the task bar had a noticeable 10+ second lag which was long enough for me to open task manger and figure out it was the MS AV software lagging it up and chewing up all my CPU power. The final straw was when I tried to update my nVidia drivers and it tagged the driver as a possible threat for submission.

I moved to AVG and now all is well for the time being.

Here is a screen shot of the trouble. I was hoping it might be a good free alternative for clients of mine but that idea went down the drain quickly with this.
dumbms.png
 
Well I've installed it on 3 Vista64 machines now (1 at work and 2 at home), and will be installing it on the 3 XP computers where I work as well.

Great software.
 
For those who have used Avast in the past, how does mse compare to it. I've used Avast home for years as it is free and actually upgraded to pro version this year. Since I paid for pro version I don't see myself installing the ms mse anytime soon. Just was curious on comparison.

m
 
I will stick with my NIS 2010. Installed in 45 seconds, so easy to use, takes almost no resources. Very different experience then I had with the 2008 and earlier builds. Seriously like night and day comparison.
 
It boggles my mind that people are having problems with MSE. It has been nothing but fast and unobtrusive on the many systems I have deployed it on, and that includes XP, Vista 32/64 and 7 32/64.

To make matters worse, they are reverting back to crap like AVG.... *shivers*

At least revert to an actually good AV like Avira Anti-Vir.
 
Wonder if this will work with WHS... I didn't see any system requirements.
 
Installed on Win7 64 with no problems ...... had nod32 that just expired!
Would be nice to have the option to opt-out on the SpyNet in the settings instead of just basic or advanced options.
 
Does MSE do any background scanning or run any activity in the first few days? I turned off scheduled scan.

Second, does MSE replace Windows defender or should this be kept on the system?
 
Thanks, dumped Comodo for this and turn Vista's 64 firewall back on.

Any add-ons for windows firewall I should try?
 
Thanks, dumped Comodo for this and turn Vista's 64 firewall back on.

Any add-ons for windows firewall I should try?

What on earth is a Windows Firewall add on?

(excuse me if this is obvious but I always disable Windows Firewall as I have ahardware firewall)
 
What on earth is a Windows Firewall add on?

(excuse me if this is obvious but I always disable Windows Firewall as I have ahardware firewall)

Why disable the software firewall? The second level of protection couldn't hurt...
 
Add on programs to enhance it or to give users more control of it like "Windows Vista Firewall Control".
 
Why disable the software firewall? The second level of protection couldn't hurt...

Useless when you have a hardware firewall.

I want my LAN protected from the internet, not individual LAN PC's protected from each-other. It just add's needless complexity.

Its only in Windows because an unfortunate number of people still connect their PC's directly to braodband modems without any type of hardware firewall/NAT router.
 
Back
Top