Microsoft:"Xbox "720" not needed or wanted right now"

Freezebyte

2[H]4U
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/102/1024276p1.html

I dont' wanna spend another $400 soon either.

applause.gif

This is old news. They been saying for quite awhile now that they plan on supporting the 360 until 2015. That doesn't mean another console won't come before then, one most definitely will. The next console IS the Natal relaunch next year though.

Expect Natal to be a complete console relaunch, and marketed as such. The real successor will likely be around 2011/2012.

They need a new name. 720 sounds stupid.

Well not much more stupid then 360.
It should have been Xbox2, although that would not have looked too cool next to PS3.
Because everyone knows bigger product numbers mean better hardware :rolleyes:

Normally I'm all for bigger and better hardware, but I'm pretty happy with the current state of both consoles. The current batch of games are no longer outclassed by PC's. Reminds me a little of when the consoles started catching up with arcades.
Until the console versions of a game look flat-out bad or underfeatured, I'm all for sticking to what we have.

They picked 360 for obvious reasons...think about "XBOX 2" would look like on the shelf next to PLAYSTATION 3.

1. 720 isn't even an official name, its a name the public thought up.
2. 360 was used for a few easy reasons. One, Xbox 2 would look dated next to Playstation 3. Consumer perception is very powerful, and it made sense. Also, its been said by Microsoft that 360 also represents a circle, which is never ending.. representing never ending entertainment.

Xbox 360 was actually quite the brilliant name, I have no clue what they're going to do next. I suspect the Natal launch will carry an entire new name, no 360 about it. It'll be Xbox "Something"... and it likely will not be Natal, since Natal is just the code name for the project.

My guess is something like..

1. Xbox
2. Xbox 360
3. Xbox "Vision" (Natal Xbox 360 re-launch, fall 2010)
4. Xbox 4 (2011/2012)

This will bring them inline with PS4, when the real successor to the 360 arrives.

I think they need a new name altogether, Xbox sounds very 2000's like windows XP.

"Gaming Center" sounds more modern Microsoft.

They should call it xbox 7 and launch it with windows 7. Catchy name there MS.

Nah they should call it Gamecast like in that movie Jamie Kennedy was in...lol

1. 720 isn't even an official name, its a name the public thought up.
2. 360 was used for a few easy reasons. One, Xbox 2 would look dated next to Playstation 3. Consumer perception is very powerful, and it made sense. Also, its been said by Microsoft that 360 also represents a circle, which is never ending.. representing never ending entertainment.

+1. This 'Xbox 720' rubbish is getting old.

The '360' was also supposed to be a reference to the "HD revolution" too.

Despite our constant appetite for the latest and greatest, it really doesn't make sense for them to mess with what's currently a very profitable and very large market base.

Also, its been said by Microsoft that 360 also represents a circle, which is never ending.. representing never ending entertainment.

Must.Bite.Tongue :D

360 was actually quite the brilliant name, I have no clue what they're going to do next. I suspect the Natal launch will carry an entire new name, no 360 about it. It'll be Xbox "Something"... and it likely will not be Natal, since Natal is just the code name for the project.

I'm sorry but IMO that would be a dumb idea. If your talking about confusing the public then that is another way to go about it....totally alienate your existing 360 userbase that aren't upto speed like the hardcore. They would probably think the 360 had been dropped and being replaced, especially if a slimmer model was co-incided. On the other hand MS could market it as 'next gen'......

I'd lean toward the former tho.

You're correct on the playstation front, they didn't want a 2 next to a 3 on the shelf. But the other reason is because the wii's working name was the Nintendo Revolution, which they were also mimicking/mocking.

I'm really torn on this. I think that this generation of consoles has proven that there's serious demand for more integrated features on the consoles themselves. Given that, I could certainly see having a lot more RAM, which would certainly be a next-gen feature, be very beneficial to that.

On the other hand, it seems like the bottleneck is in the software development resources available to the console dashboard updates rather than lack of RAM or other hardware constraints. So until there's a genuine gaming need for new hardware (and so far, that's only MMOs), I suppose it does make sense to wait a year or two before doing an update.

Of course, that means they would have to start designing right now - and I'm sure they have. :)

It's just a ruse, you can't believe it. They don't want to let Sony know when they are coming out with their next console. Their most important goal is to be out first, no matter what.

You're correct on the playstation front, they didn't want a 2 next to a 3 on the shelf. But the other reason is because the wii's working name was the Nintendo Revolution, which they were also mimicking/mocking.

Good point, I never thought of that.

At this point, what we do know is that Microsoft has said they are supporting the 360 until 2015. Natal is going to be a complete re-launch of the 360, and will have a massive marketing budget to get that point across. Eventually there will be a true next gen.

How it all plays out is anyone's guess. But one thing I do agree with is ...

Despite our constant appetite for the latest and greatest, it really doesn't make sense for them to mess with what's currently a very profitable and very large market base.

All these game systems are going to look pretty old and stale in a couple years.

I've got to give the consoles makers credit for what they've managed to squeeze out of these systems performance and feature-wise, but you can only get so much out of old technology.

They'll stick with the current consoles until they feel the high definition TV marked has reached it's peak. It's not smart to sell new consoles advertising super high end graphics to people who need digital converter boxes for their SDTVs. It's likely that they'll scale back development until they can get a rough figure of when that will be.

They're in this for the money, it's not just about competition. Also, the Wii has got them re-thinking the need for high definition anyways.

Screw all that, I want the days of console battles where we saw a new console come out ever 3 to 5 years. 2015 is to far off. Hopefully Sony will keep with what they have done and bring out a new one. I want a new Sega! (lol yeah right I know)
/rant

I'm not sure some of you understand what Microsoft is saying. They are going to SUPPORT the 360 until 2015, but the successor will come out long before then. There will be a lay over between generations. Instead of launching the successor and killing off all support for the 360, it'll continue to get updates/games until 2015.

I'm not sure some of you understand what Microsoft is saying. They are going to SUPPORT the 360 until 2015, but the successor will come out long before then. There will be a lay over between generations. Instead of launching the successor and killing off all support for the 360, it'll continue to get updates/games until 2015.

Didn't MS kill the original XBOX right before the 360's release?

Of course, that means they would have to start designing right now - and I'm sure they have. :)

That is probably the only 100% accurate statement in this thread.

Xbox HD anyone?

Highly doubtful, if they plan on supporting the 360 alongside the new machine (ala PS2/PS3) then calling the successor HD will undermine the 360 as the average punter will think it won't be HD if they had to bring another out....if you get me? :D

It's a hard thing to second guess as there seems no rhyme or reason to the naming scheme or where it is going. I'll go for neXt-box :p

Last edited:
That is probably the only 100% accurate statement in this thread.

Highly doubtful, if they plan on supporting the 360 alongside the new machine (ala PS2/PS3) then calling the successor HD will undermine the 360 as the average punter will think it won't be HD if they had to bring another out....if you get me? :D

It's a hard thing to second guess as there seems no rhythm or reason to the naming scheme or where it is going. I'll go for neXt-box :p

That sounded good, though a little cliched (? I;m not sure why? [Maybe due to NeXt - a Steve Jobs failure, though that was a while ago]).

How about Box3?

To tell the truth I'm waiting to see what the onlive console will do......if that is even half as cool as the demos they've shown on it, there won't be a reason to own a 360 or PS3. And I love my 360.

Back