Microsoft:"Xbox "720" not needed or wanted right now"

To tell the truth I'm waiting to see what the onlive console will do......if that is even half as cool as the demos they've shown on it, there won't be a reason to own a 360 or PS3. And I love my 360.

I'm a systems engineer currently running a rather large Citrix farm. The tech isn't that different in OnLive than what I am doing, but keep in mind that OnLive is nothing more than a startup company right now. Additionally, they are only playing PC games. Any console games you see running on OnLive are console games there were ported to the PC.

Regardless cloud gaming is going to be a very viable option in the coming generations. Likely OnLive will be snatched up by Microsoft and they'll absorb their transfer protocols. OnLive is already using and licensing terminal services through Microsoft for their technology so regardless if MS buys them or not, they're paying MS $$ just to operate.

As an admin, <3 terminal services.

And for shame on the guy asking why is it called xbox 720.

The tone sounds like they are going to drag this out for many more years before bringing out a new console. If this is the case, I hope Sony beats them to market. Sure the Xbox 360 is good for another two years however I would expect to see a new console in 2012 at the very latest.

Normally I'm all for bigger and better hardware, but I'm pretty happy with the current state of both consoles. The current batch of games are no longer outclassed by PC's. Reminds me a little of when the consoles started catching up with arcades.
Until the console versions of a game look flat-out bad or underfeatured, I'm all for sticking to what we have.

They already do look grossly outclassed, and have for at least a year now.

The current consoles don't even play any good games at 1080p, let alone 720p.

The aliasing is atrocious.

They already do look grossly outclassed, and have for at least a year now.
There's truth to this. I do pretty much all my multi platform gaming on my PC now, unless I have specific friends with the PS3 / 360 version of a game.

So let me get this straight...only 3d games are good and graphics make the game?

Your missing out on some top titles then.

So let me get this straight...only 3d games are good and graphics make the game?

Your missing out on some top titles then.

Graphics don't matter to you? Then you don't even need a current generation console. So are you still playing the NES and Atari 2600?

While 720 is the street-made name for it, I highly doubt MS will use it if they do decide to continue the number moniker. IF, and this is a big IF, they continue the high number moniker, they will probably use 1080 as the number. That will say to people, "Hey, this thing does 1080p/i."

As for the idea that we wont see the third XBOX until Christmas 2012, all I have to say is duh. I'm expecting either a Christmas 2012 or 2013 release. The current 360 has many years of hits left in it. With the reliability of the Jasper units, the price drop on the elites, and the software lineup, there has never been a better time to buy a 360 than now.

if i have a choice of playing a game on a console or on the PC, I'll pick the PC every single time. The graphics difference is night and day, especially if your pc does 1920x1200 or higher.

I saw the video review of Halo 3 ODST yesterday and the framerate was horrible, and the game seemed to lack any sort of anti-aliasing. With a pc, you can at least adjust settings to where your game is at the framerate you want. With a console, you're just out of luck if you don't like it.

BUT sometimes they do manage to pull off miracles, like MGS4, that was one of the best games ever and managed to impress me with near PC level graphics. So, if there's a console only game out there I want to play, I'll usually try and get over the probably less-than-pc-quality graphics and play it.

Persona 3 and 4 were great and the graphics were definitely not Crysis level.

PS4 "true HD" for real next time?

:p

Since the thread was about MS, I didn't feel the need to point out some outside 3rd party games are sub 720p on PS3 as well. Feel better ? It was only a joke.

On that note, I imagine you've heard the rumors about 3D gaming on the PS3 in the near future ? Apparently they've developed a novel 3D tech with their 120hz LCDs. I don't know much about it, but heard about a GT technology demo in real 3D.

XBox 360 Triad

playstation+button+for+XBox+360.jpeg

Graphics don't matter to you? Then you don't even need a current generation console. So are you still playing the NES and Atari 2600?

Nope, obviously I can appreciate good gfx (Batman:AA) but it isn't the be all and end all, I could happily sit and play Jetset Willy all day on the Spectrum...and actually have done recently....Atari 5200 is the latest I've started on and to perfectly honest I spend more time gaming on my cab than my PS3 nowadays, PS3 is used more for its media capabilities....and Batman AA when I get a long enough stretch to play it.

So that back fired on you big time!! :D

You do realize that aliasing and resolution are two completely different subjects, right?

But I will agree with you that a good portion of the XBox360 library was not made to run natively at 1080p. Most of it is actually 720p.... but who the hell cares if the game still looks good?

You do realize that aliasing and resolution are two completely different subjects, right?

But I will agree with you that a good portion of the XBox360 library was not made to run natively at 1080p. Most of it is actually 720p.... but who the hell cares if the game still looks good?

well thats the guys point. it doesnt look good. pc games look good. most console games dont.

take need for speed shift and any call of duty game. they look poor compared to the pc.

XBOX was originally going to be DirectXBOX how cumbersome.Probaly a good thing they shortened it to just XBOX ,DirectXBOX 360 just doesn't sound right.

One thing is for sure, if they went back to the originals prototype design I'd buy one in an instant!

Back