Microsoft will stop selling Windows 10 licenses in a few days

Vista wasnt even bad. The crying around Vista made zero sense to me at all even when it was happening, and the fact that it has perpetuated for so long remains ridiculous. It was never meant to be installed on the bottom barrel hardware that people were running XP on which seemed to be the cause of most of the gripes at the time.

For all the praise Windows 7 gets, it was basically just a fully patched Vista. I remember going out and doing in-home computer service removing Vista from peoples computers because their brothers friends ex-girlfriends Dad works in IT and he said it was a disaster and to go back to XP. Looking back, it feels like a joke from South Park where people were complaining but didnt actually have any substance to back it up.
yup it ran fine if you have the hardware to support it properly.

Except that Microsoft let the OEM's get away with giving away free upgrades to Vista in 6+ months near Vista's release date so the OEM's could keep selling those computers that were just fine for XP (and would be for 3-4 years) but would not run Vista well at all. I never did try to install Vista on a 2005 Dell laptop, Pentium M chip that maybe could have run it since I had 1.256 GB of ram in it. XP was just fine for that machine so why bother?

Part of Vista's fault definately lies with manufacturers, their bad or non-existant drivers for a new OS structure and weak hardware specs that couldn't run it but ultimately it is MS's fault here since it is their product and it needed more than the normal 256mb-512mb of system ram that most 1-2 year old computers had at the time.
its ms' fault stupid oems lied and/or provided free upgrades? lol ok... ms set the spec they ignored or faked em.
shit, now im a ms zealot/fanboi, how dare i defend them...

looks like ms has switched everything to 11 now, even the how to get 10 page says to just go from 7 to 11 but you can still buy it elsewhere or use 7/8 keys with the installer.
How to get Windows 10 - Microsoft Support

yup it ran fine if you have the hardware to support it properly.

its ms' fault stupid oems lied and/or provided free upgrades? lol ok... ms set the spec they ignored or faked em.
shit, now im a ms zealot/fanboi, how dare i defend them...

looks like ms has switched everything to 11 now, even the how to get 10 page says to just go from 7 to 11 but you can still buy it elsewhere or use 7/8 keys with the installer.
How to get Windows 10 - Microsoft Support
Seems like Microsoft is really trying hard to put a dent in the share of Windows 10. Windows 10 share holds around 70% in the States and 75% worldwide. The share rebounded when Windows 7 ESU ended in January this year. W7 users chose W10 over W11.

1679587520955.png

1679587354760.png

Yes, it is Microsoft's fault because ultimately it is their product and they often enabled OEM's with the free OS upgrades. 51/49%, pick which side is most to blame depending on your mood. It was a clown show all around. Didn't Microsoft later claim 40% of all Vista blue screens were Nvidia driver related?

Yes, it is Microsoft's fault because ultimately it is their product and they often enabled OEM's with the free OS upgrades. 51/49%, pick which side is most to blame depending on your mood. It was a clown show all around. Didn't Microsoft later claim 40% of all Vista blue screens were Nvidia driver related?

Nvidia was up there but it was Canon that did most of it. Printers, scanners, and fax machines were the main cause of blue screens.

Yeah, I think it was no driver support for a HP printer I had that angered me the most. HP was like, hey just go buy a new printer!

Yeah, I think it was no driver support for a HP printer I had that angered me the most. HP was like, hey just go buy a new printer!
This thread has moved on past it but there was a bit of bashing of WinMe earlier, and that was really more the OEM's fault. Me ran just fine if you installed it yourself. But I had bought an HP desktop that had Me preinstalled and there was so much bloatware that all kinds of stuff didn't work, everything ran slowly, and so on. I couldn't use HTTPS at all. Any sure pages would just spin forever and never load. Eventually got sick of that, wiped the drive, and reinstalled with a CD I got from MS for being in the beta. ALL the problems I had went away.

I don't know if the problems were caused by HP software or 3rd-party stuff, but either way, HP preinstalled it on the machine and they're the proximal reason the computer didn't work properly, not MS.

Nvidia was up there but it was Canon that did most of it. Printers, scanners, and fax machines were the main cause of blue screens.
and iirc, sound blaster drivers

This thread has moved on past it but there was a bit of bashing of WinMe earlier, and that was really more the OEM's fault. Me ran just fine if you installed it yourself.
yup, ran just fine on all the machines i built and loaded it on.

edited speeling

Last edited:

Yeah, there were some super derpy things with older HP printers. Vista and 7 had 64-bit drivers, but they were broken, and HP/Microsoft couldn't get it together to fix them, you had to download the driver for server 2003 and use that. Apparently, rebroken for 8 and beyond, but not fixable in the same way.

I feel like I'm somehow in the minority of users who installed Vista on machines with the minimum requirements or greater, never even tried to hook up a printer, and really liked it.

Remember how you could hit the super key and search all your stuff from the Start Menu? Such an amazing feature that's still one of the hallmarks of the modern Windows experience.

Oh right.

Vista was fine if you had capable HW with good/modern/proper driver support. But it was RAM heavy, even if 'unused RAM is wasted RAM' - which they fixed with SP1 and then Vista was 👌 IMO

Which matters a lot because I've almost never worked on a vista machine where the updates weren't completely broken. Just like much of the windows 8 didn't get updated because they did it through the store instead which often broke as well before people got the 8.1 update.
Pretty sure 8.1 was left high and dry too. After upgrading my laptop to 8.1 because I didn't want "muh telemetry" I noticed that my WiFi connection was never as reliable as it was before. It would randomly drop and I couldn't reconnect. I always had to "Forget network" and reconnect and BAM it worked again. Like... on an almost daily basis. No new drivers for my device either (Dell Precision M4700). I just upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 (same evening as I did my aging desktop) and guess what? :D No more WiFi connection issues... Microsoft more or less abandoned Windows 8.1 a while back and it shows.

This is something I never understood with the Win7 fanatics/holdouts crowd. If you want to avoid telemetry then you really can’t run any post-XP Windows OS.
I eventually settled on it. If I care enough then I'll move to Linux. I feel like the old argument of "but muh games!" and "I LOOOOOVE Office! Linux has nothing comparable!" don't really hold up these days.

I eventually settled on it. If I care enough then I'll move to Linux. I feel like the old argument of "but muh games!" and "I LOOOOOVE Office! Linux has nothing comparable!" don't really hold up these days.
They still hold up fine. Windows is still the gold standard for Office and gaming. Not to mention substance products, Adobe products, Microsoft stuff like visual studio, autodesk products, and tons of other things have no real equivalents that are good in Linux. Heck, Linux doesn't even have a desktop anti-virus/malware!

Get onto win 11, it's a free upgrade and you won't be part of a bot net like you probably are on Win7. Plus it's faster and has all the latest goodies.

W7 users chose W10 over W11.

The free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 still works, so that's obviously an incentive to upgrade.

It's also obvious that very few if any computers that originally came with Windows 7 would meet the requirements for Windows 11. Even though those requirements can be bypassed easily, most would probably still not bother researching how to do so or want to bother with it. If it was nothing more than a simple choice, most would have likely chosen 11.

Get onto win 11, it's a free upgrade and you won't be part of a bot net like you probably are on Win7. Plus it's faster and has all the latest goodies.
I'm rocking an Ivy Bridge on both desktop and laptop actually, so I can't. :( I do have a modern architecture on my other laptop though so I may give it a shot. I need to put an nvme SSD in it though.

Back