Microsoft Will Now Release Major Windows 10 Updates Every March and September

I'm sure they mean well but I see them only keeping this up until October 2017 ;)

I wouldn't be so sure of that. I think MS adopted this strategy since it constantly is being updated and worked on and new features added etc. So then they had to take the decision, how much features should we pack into the next build? Now they can just have a set date as to when stop adding new features to next major update, let it circle around in the insider rings for a specific amount of time before official launch. It's a sensible way to do it IMO.

Not really.

You see the difference is that Linux doesn't force the update, it's still completely your choice as to whether you deploy it or not. My laptop, for example, is still running 14.04 with a newer kernel.
Yeah, I was going to say, and here I thought updating was optional in Linux.

Yeah, I was going to say, and here I thought updating was optional in Linux.

Not only that, but once I say no I don't keep getting hounded and manipulated to update. Oddly enough my wishes as the owner of my machine are respected.

Little tick boxes giving the user control over their own machine, is it too much to ask for?

ffQRusW.png

Last edited:
Microsoft makes plenty of mistakes. And on the desktop its competitors make even more. Like discounting PC VR. On 2 in 1 which where a failure forever and now doing very well. If technology is simply about who has all the resources then the game was long ago decided. Microsoft had all the resources and failed in phones. I'm called deranged by some simply because I have common sense. It's clear that Microsoft has failed in this generation of PC, they're called smartphones. And that's why Microsoft will never again dominate. They missed the next big thing after PCs badly. But as PCs become less important overall and as mobile and the cloud have emerged, I do think Microsoft has the basics down for x86 device of today.

I wish Linux on the desktop got it half as well. I'm called a rabid fanboy for simply wanting to play my games and do my job that still needs a PC. And unfortunately, Linux still just isn't there.

I think Microsoft has made many mistakes, most notably is the direction they took when designing Windows 8, 8.1 and now Windows 10. The idea of pulling the rug out from under the loyal and many Windows desktop users was insane, they are still paying the price for that decision. Even now, they seem reluctant to fully embrace the idea that Windows is best on a full PC, and that people do not want a mobile Windows OS (Surface Pro not included). MS are still unsure of their attitude towards traditional PCs, and that worries me for the future of Windows. Their next mistake was not making Windows 10 free for non corporate/enterprise users.

And I'm sure Microsoft's next mistake will be to change Windows licensing and ownership to a subscription based model. I feel it coming, and I don't think its many years away, 2 at the most. This, along with cloud based user accounts and storage, will be a fundamental shift, one that I'm not sure Microsoft fully comprehends, or cares about. They have shown time and again that they (under Nadella) do not care much for non corporate customers, and even those they keep at arms length.

And yes, I would love to go Linux, but it's still not a viable platform, and I don't think it ever will be, unless Windows games, MS Office, and lots of others are ported and run just as well or better than on Windows.

Last edited:
mmm should I emerge --sync today or not...

mmm should I accept that update or not...

mmm I don't want that version BUT it is a hard dependency on another package... lets mask both until the bug is fixed or I find an alternative

that would be cool. upon installing the OS it can give you an advanced option and ask you what additional things you want installed (if not, you get it all). they do that on most programs now, if you want the full package or not. Simple, easy.

Yeah we had a CHOICE, remember when companies used to give you a choice? A degree of responsibility over your own hardware and usage patterns. Instead we now have to have umpteen add-ons and apps that most of us don't need that could potentially be a security issue or more likely just get in the way because they are inferior to alternative versions we would want to use.

People tend to forget that in some cases less is more.

But hey having choices is soooo 1997 apparently.

Yeah, no software choices in Windows. /s

View attachment 22629

You know that's not what I'm talking about so stop it.

You like having worthless crap installed whether you want it or not, I get it. I just want to have the choice to not have crap I don't need installed by default.

I guess that's just crazy. I must be mad not to want Candy Crush Saga and Minecraft on my Windows Pro workstation.

You know that's not what I'm talking about so stop it.

You like having worthless crap installed whether you want it or not, I get it. I just want to have the choice to not have crap I don't need installed by default.

I guess that's just crazy. I must be mad not to want Candy Crush Saga and Minecraft on my Windows Pro workstation.

I completely agree that this should be controllable. I just think the term "bloat" gets too easily thrown around, like removing these apps frees up lots of space or would improve performance or pose any real security risk. If something penetrated a system and was able to inject malware into a UAW, you were already screwed. Anything that can do that can more easily compromise a Win32 app.

If something penetrated a system and was able to inject malware into a UAW, you were already screwed. Anything that can do that can more easily compromise a Win32 app.

One compromised system has documents and whatnot you know are there. On another it has those documents, plus your voice (Cortana), fingerprints (Biometrics), face (Hello!), and how often you opened HuniPop. It goes from "oh no someone stole my tax returns" to "oh no someone stole my entire identity".

One compromised system has documents and whatnot you know are there. On another it has those documents, plus your voice (Cortana), fingerprints (Biometrics), face (Hello!), and how often you opened HuniPop. It goes from "oh no someone stole my tax returns" to "oh no someone stole my entire identity".

I person can do a lot more damage to you with tax returns than the biometric data in Windows Hello. WH doesn't store actual images of one's face or fingerprints. If the data is compromised it doesn't have a lot of value, which is part of the design considerations for biometric authentication. It would be easier just to grab media, videos and pictures for that kind of data. And its not like you can't install whatever monitoring tools you want with malware.

Once a system is compromised to the level of having programs altered, you're done. The biometric data in WH is of little value, it's easy to track any activity an attacker wants and voice and image files would be a far better target for that kind of info. I think that in the discussion of Windows 10 and privacy and security concerns, many have overstated the value of that data and how it can be practically weaponized. Classic malware already has the ability to do whatever it wants without any assist from Windows 10's features.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. I think MS adopted this strategy since it constantly is being updated and worked on and new features added etc. So then they had to take the decision, how much features should we pack into the next build? Now they can just have a set date as to when stop adding new features to next major update, let it circle around in the insider rings for a specific amount of time before official launch. It's a sensible way to do it IMO.

Still waiting for any new features in W10.

it's easy to track any activity an attacker wants and voice and image files would be a far better target for that kind of info. I think that in the discussion of Windows 10 and privacy and security concerns, many have overstated the value of that data and how it can be practically weaponized. Classic malware already has the ability to do whatever it wants without any assist from Windows 10's features.

Having advanced tools available to any script kiddie is concerning. Every "feature" of Win10's suite of telemetry and tracking is another point of failure that an exploit can get in under.

The biometric data in WH is of little value, it's easy to track any activity an attacker wants and voice and image files would be a far better target for that kind of info.

Pre-analyzed-ready-to-be-used-to-log-into-other-platforms voice samples and images of my face don't exist on my PC, but they do on a Win10 platform. Tax returns would exist on both and are dangerous to let loose, but having that extra data, like I mentioned, is a free ticket to completely steal the entirety of my identity or wreck all kinds of other havoc under my name.

If the data is compromised it doesn't have a lot of value, which is part of the design considerations for biometric authentication.

And how do you or an outside entity know the data is compromised? Hackerman isn't going to announce that he infiltrated your system. This sounds like more deflecting.

Having advanced tools available to any script kiddie is concerning. Every "feature" of Win10's suite of telemetry and tracking is another point of failure that an exploit can get in under.

Pre-analyzed-ready-to-be-used-to-log-into-other-platforms voice samples and images of my face don't exist on my PC, but they do on a Win10 platform. Tax returns would exist on both and are dangerous to let loose, but having that extra data, like I mentioned, is a free ticket to completely steal the entirety of my identity or wreck all kinds of other havoc under my name.

And how do you or an outside entity know the data is compromised? Hackerman isn't going to announce that he infiltrated your system. This sounds like more deflecting.

There's nothing in Windows 10 that aids an attacker in being able to what malware has always been able to do. Keylogging, telemetry, password theft, etc. it's all be done effectively long before Windows 10. And I don't think you're describing Windows Hello correctly. The data stored for WH authentication cannot simply be copied and used on other systems for authentication and reverse engineering for image data I don't think is possible. A waiter in a restaurant would have a much easier time getting ones fingerprints and name from a credit card. In any case, biometric authentication isn't new to Windows in 10 and I don't know of any attacks to date that have done anything with biometric data in pre-Windows 10 devices.

If an attacker gets tax returns, pictures and video files, I really don't know how much more ones identity can be compromised. At that point you're done.

I'm saying that Win10 adds many new avenues of attack and many new points that this data becomes available, easier to a "hacker". Like I said, it potentially gives a script kiddie the power of a veritable CIA big guy.

What Microsoft is doing here is very much stand software process now. Smaller, continuous delivery across multiple code branches with various levels of stability and support. This is by the book stuff.

And that is why modern software is shit and why Windows 10 has more bugs than an Amazon rainforest (Still waiting on the idiots at Microsoft to fix KB3158621 which basically breaks any Optimus graphics on Windows 10).

Agile software development is corporate snake oil invented by people that wanted to sell books. It is not a viable method of software development if you care about quality.

Agile software development is corporate snake oil invented by people that wanted to sell books. It is not a viable method of software development if you care about quality.

Agile has become HUGELY popular, we use it. If you don't like you don't but it has nothing to do with Microsoft and it's HEAVILY engrained with open source development.

Exactly, like 20 years ago. Because people demand technology for 20 years ago.

Let me rephrase that for ya. "Because people demanded that from technology providers 20 years ago." Just as most of us are demanding 20 years later! Microsoft simply hasn't a clue or simply doesn't care. Linux may soon get the big break it needs in the home consumer environment if Microsoft continues down this darkening road. Personally, Linux runs cleaner and faster than Windows and nothing I do except gaming requires Microsoft anything. So, it's time game developers and publishers start getting serious about taking on the Linux ecosystem.

If I didn't have to support folks using Windows I would be 99% Chromebook by now. Logically 99% of what I do is now doable in a browser. No need for OS loyalty.

As I've said all thats require to please a lot of serious users is when the install gets halfway through it simply says -

Select from the following install options -

1. Full Install for most users (Default)

2. Business Install (no games or apps and all Privacy options enabled)

3. Custom Advanced Install (deselect all possible unwanted applications and services)

Mmmm the good old days (maybe the only thing that was good back then)

options.gif

selectcomp.gif

Can't be that difficult can it?

Last edited:
Windows Hello sucks. Build me a Windows Goodbye and I'll use it.

Or just following everyone that's implemented this type of development model, agile, continuous delivery. Seriously, this is EXACTLY how Linux does its development and has for years now.

Not in the slightest. If I don't like a change, I can always just not type: apt-get dist-upgrade

Exactly, like 20 years ago. Because people demand technology for 20 years ago.

I wouldn't want a car without a steering wheel....
Need something tech related? I wouldn't want a PC without a keyboard....

OLD =/= Less optimal.

Back