Microsoft Wants You Using Edge, Whether You Want to or Not

So they are setting it as the default browser when you are linking from a MS app? This is a non issue. Also, Edge is fine unless you use
1) the web developer console (Chrome is still the best but Edge's tool are not horrible)
2) lots of strange extensions (it has LastPass, Ghostery, Pocket which I use)

Most people are stuck in their ways though. They use Chrome and since it work fine, they will never try out any other browser. Yes, Chrome works fine just like any modern browser. I use Firefox since the fonts look better and well, it is a modern browser so it works fine.
"Edge is a browser so why not use it"
Microsoft were taken to court and LOST because they were "forcing" IE onto people. Choice exists for a reason and that choice is not Microsoft's

So I use Edge for video since Chrome still is limited in its resolutions. Edge is not awful for that use at least.
What is awful that we're forced to watch video in a browser window at all. This is the main reason I don't have netflix or amazon prime.

Aren't they already doing this? My file associations magically revert back to Microsoft's apps every now and then. I've had to change PDF's opening in Edge at least 50 times since Win10 was released. It just recently started doing it with videos and photos as well.

Last night it bumped me from using their 'Reader' for PDF's into using Edge instead.

WoW. I feel out of it. Edge is a browser? I thought IE was MS's browser?
I like to use the least amount that is built in to windows.
I guess I will check it out for laughs.

Hm, I started dual booting Win 10 and Linux about 2 years ago (didn't like the direction MS was following). I haven't noticed much 'obnoxiousness' from the Linux community. Pretty much all the questions I had on Linux were covered in some forum in a manor similar to how the Windows forums did. About the only issues I've had with Linux were related to differences in the distributions and the subsystems they may be using. Over all, Linux has caused me less issues than Windows 10 (by far!).

I've used Linux since the late 90's and continue to use it on and off to this day. The community has progressively gotten more unbearable and the distros more fragmented and irritating to deal with. I'll continue to run my servers with linux, but for a home machine Win 7 is still the better platform of the three. There is little to nothing Win 10 does that I even remotely care about. It works fine on my kids laptops and my wife runs it so it isn't like I'm inexperienced with it. I just see far more reasons to not install it than I do to install it.

Aren't they already doing this? My file associations magically revert back to Microsoft's apps every now and then. I've had to change PDF's opening in Edge at least 50 times since Win10 was released. It just recently started doing it with videos and photos as well.
Yep. Pretty much every one of the feature updates they release several times a year will hijack your file associations and settings back to the default store apps. Like anybody wants that.

Its clear they're doing it on purpose since it's been going on so long, yet they don't bother to improve those default apps to make people not instantly want to switch away.

One does NOT simply remove Edge from windows 10... but you can EASILY make it not work at all!

• Go to: C:\Windows\SystemApps\
  • Open folder Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe
  • Right click on MicrosoftEdge file then Properties / Security / Advanced / Click Change (next to owner) and change to your username, then click OK
  • Then Click Edit, then add your username and give full permissions
  • Rename MicrosoftEdge file to MicrosoftEdge_remove or a name of your choice
  • Repeat all above steps for file MicrosoftEdgeCP also
  • Done! Edge will not run!
If someone has a way to wipe it clean from Windows 10, please do share!

Back