Microsoft: There Is Familiarity In Windows 10

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks as though Microsoft is pitching the whole "familiarity" angle for Windows 10.

You’ll notice a lot of familiarity in Windows 10. It’s the best combination of the Windows you already know, plus lots of great improvements you’ll love having. The familiar Start menu is back in a more robust and expanded format that provides one-click access to the functions and files you use most. You can quickly reach your most frequently used apps, PC settings and there is plenty of space to add your favorite Live Tiles.

This is the first I have really actually seen Windows 10, and I like the look of it so far.

Hopefully one of those "obvious things" doesn't involve basic video editing as that's still MIA from the RTM version and from their store. You can even use the old Live Essentials one as it won't install.

It's familiar as hell after you install Start10. Until then, not so much :)

It's familiar as hell after you install Start10. Until then, not so much :)

Gimme a break. That windows start menu has been around since Windows 95 and it's time to let it go. The new live tiles and arrangement of the icons in Windows 10 are just fine. This is not an overhaul crapshoot that Windows 8 was. No the Start menu is useful and organized. You may have to spend 5 minutes to find out where everything is but it's far from being unusable.

I prefer the Windows 10 start menu over any other iteration.

I've been running the RTM and can share a few things with people.

You can no longer set default browser .. within the browser. They've added additional steps where you have to click 3 or 4 times to go into settings, system and a few other steps to set default browser now. They did this to keep more people on Microsoft Edge I'm pretty sure.

They whole larger look ( scaled up from Windows 7 ) is back and in full force. This is so the default look looks better on a tablet. You would think that Microsoft could figure this out automatically and just tone everything down for a true Windows look and feel. No, you have to go in and change this yourself.

To be honest, Windows 10 looks a lot like Windows 8 than Windows 7. Control panel is there but it's buried. There are a lot of just really simple, plain and ugly settings all over that are clearly for a tablet in mind.

Microsoft for whatever reasons added several additional steps all over the OS to change your settings. Several instances of it taking additional clicks / steps to get things done which drives me crazy.

I wouldn't necessarily say the new Start Menu is "organized." Go ahead and try to organize any modern apps. You can't rename them, hide them, sort them, put them in folders, or do anything with them at all.
Don't like them? Half of them are conveniently unremovable, too.

Also the search bar brings up news / current events. I hate Justin Bieber and the Kartrashians but there they were right on my desktop near the start menu. I was able to turn it off but now I have a big ugly black area now. Seems they could have not made all these assumptions of what people wanted or forced upon them. I want all that crap gone. I want to decide what I want to stare at not them.

It really sucks that here we go again with all the god damn bloat all over the OS / Desktop that you can't really fix the way you want it

maybe I can take out all the stuff I like. I will have to dig deeper. I already turned off Cortana or whatever it's called. Personally I just want the basics / sparse look with maybe a cool wallpaper

That was it???

I'm sure there is more than just the start menu that should be intriguing people. I seriously felt like I was watching a rick-roll loop. It was that pointless and insignifican,t and I was expecting other 'amazing' features to be pitched to me, and it never happened.

You can no longer set default browser .. within the browser. They've added additional steps where you have to click 3 or 4 times to go into settings, system and a few other steps to set default browser now. They did this to keep more people on Microsoft Edge I'm pretty sure.

It's that way with setting any default app. It sucks because rather than just doing it and telling you how to change it back, it just tells you how to do it. I'd like to see it actually do it when asked instead of making you go through all those steps to do the same thing it was supposed to do automatically.

Gimme a break. That windows start menu has been around since Windows 95 and it's time to let it go. The new live tiles and arrangement of the icons in Windows 10 are just fine. This is not an overhaul crapshoot that Windows 8 was. No the Start menu is useful and organized. You may have to spend 5 minutes to find out where everything is but it's far from being unusable.

I don't want to let it go. It works for me. I like it. Leave me and my start menu alone, dammit !

For me it wasn't the absence of a start menu that ruined Windows 8, but the way that programs made for W8 ran almost in a completely separate instance. No task bars was pretty terrible on those programs as well.

The default Windows 10 start menu is worthless, unless you like tiles and other general awfulness of the Windows 8.x program listing view.

if its windows 7 combined with windows 8 --- why is this not windows 15?

Whoever decided on that music should be taken out back and shot.

And I prefer Windows 7 start menu over anything since.
I'd rate Windows 10's start menu as barely usable, but at least it's better than Windows 8 and 8.1.

As for familiarity, I sure don't see that old familiar media center.
With all the extra mouse clicks to get to the settings, I'll probably wear my mouse out much sooner.

After reading the comments so far, Windows 10 slogan should read, "Eat our shit ... Or DIE".

I don't want live tiles and search connecting to the Internet for news so think I will go cancel my Win10 reservation now.

There are several start menu replacements. A good free one is classicshell.net ... For paid I like startisback.com but it's still in Beta for W10.

Serious stuff here folks.:rolleyes:

if its windows 7 combined with windows 8 --- why is this not windows 15?

Because it's probably Windows 7 plus 3 parts Windows 8. As long as you can turn off and disable the remaining parts of Windows 8, Windows 10 might be worth the free transition...(didn't want to use the word "upgrade").

I'll be ok with it as long as the "start menu" is more useful than the "modern UI' crap. That and as long as I can turn off the crap I don't want like all the pushed web media crap that I almost never look at in W8 (I forget it's even there TBH).
I really do get sick of having to remember KB shortcuts since I have memory problems. I dreaded the deluge of phone calls I'd be getting if ever the day came that my family had to "upgrade" to W8 (memory problems all around, that and no tech savvy to speak of). W10 might not be quite as bad since there's some semblance of a start menu.
I sure hope the start menu isn't like the mUI. I really hate how everything's strewn about instead of organized in something resembling folders (I'd probably use it more if it was like that).
I also hope they've ironed out at least most of the quirky little bugs W8 has.

I don't want live tiles and search connecting to the Internet for news so think I will go cancel my Win10 reservation now.
You can turn it all off in the settings menu, so I am not sure what everyone is upset about. Don't want apps don't add any. Just go Settings -> Personalization -> Start Menu and turn everything off, and it will pretty much be the same ol' Windows 7 start menu.

My high speed data aq stuff runs on win95, the server is running NT4.0, and some of the older cards are running DOS 5.3 with net support.

They don't see the web, but they never crash, either.

Apparently you don't get the 16bit ISA crash under Win95 if you don't use fast graphics... wish I'd known that then, lol.

I had to switch to Win7 for my web machine, but everything else is still running on a private net.

I hated the switch to Win7; when I have to change to a later version I'll go Linux.
It will only be for web interaction, all my real work happens on other os.

M$ has dumbed themselves down to the bottom, it seems.

No wonder it's free... Anything free is worth what you paid for it. :D

Someone said earlier you can't even remove half of the apps that come pre-installed.

and it will pretty much be the same ol' Windows 7 start menu.
It's not. The Windows 10 start menu is a slight evolution of the Windows 8.1 tiles and all programs list. You can remove the tiles, and besides the MRU programs displayed it's really nothing like the Windows 7 start menu. Customizing it just makes it into an incoherent mess.

The start menu shouldn't be a big problem. Classic Shell has a free alternative to replace the middle finger MS gave to everyone who wanted the useful start menu back. For something to really complain about, the amount of potential spying features included and forced feature updates (or else lose the ability to get critical security updates) are more worrying. Did you know Windows 10 includes an unadvertised screen recording tool that's installed by default (in the XBox app)? It's easy to think of ways to abuse that without alerting the person using the system.

So, what I am hearing this isn't so much an "upgrade" as it is a lateral move over to Windows 8....err 10.

In other words....MS is saying...it's free, it's familiar (see...we have a start button) and you don't have any other fucking choice in the matter.

Honestly....if some of my core apps worked on Linux, I'd just single boot into it. As it is....I still need a "windows" to use them - Windows 7 does that. So yeah...I guess I don't have a fucking choice other than stay with 7 or lateral over to 10.

Hopefully one of those "obvious things" doesn't involve basic video editing as that's still MIA from the RTM version and from their store. You can even use the old Live Essentials one as it won't install.

Just tried Movie Maker from Essentials on my Surface Pro 3 running Build 10240 and it installed started up fine.

I've been running the RTM and can share a few things with people.

They whole larger look ( scaled up from Windows 7 ) is back and in full force. This is so the default look looks better on a tablet. You would think that Microsoft could figure this out automatically and just tone everything down for a true Windows look and feel. No, you have to go in and change this yourself.

To be honest, Windows 10 looks a lot like Windows 8 than Windows 7. Control panel is there but it's buried. There are a lot of just really simple, plain and ugly settings all over that are clearly for a tablet in mind.

Microsoft for whatever reasons added several additional steps all over the OS to change your settings. Several instances of it taking additional clicks / steps to get things done which drives me crazy.

Here we go again. :rolleyes:

The default Windows 10 start menu is worthless, unless you like tiles and other general awfulness of the Windows 8.x program listing view.

Says the person who claims he knows his stuff from time to time? You know, you would have been completely lost in the 90's operating systems.

I am surprised you even bothered reserving at all considering how you talk all the time about it in a only negative fashion. I am using Windows 10 Pro right now and *GASP* it is easy to use and highly customizable. :)

I am surprised you even bothered reserving at all considering how you talk all the time about it in a only negative fashion. I am using Windows 10 Pro right now and *GASP* it is easy to use and highly customizable. :)

Do you have to "reserve" a copy of 10 to get it now? I don't plan on upgrading to it for 4-6 months. Maybe longer. But I do plan on getting it eventually before the free upgrade period is over.

Do you have to "reserve" a copy of 10 to get it now? I don't plan on upgrading to it for 4-6 months. Maybe longer. But I do plan on getting it eventually before the free upgrade period is over.

No, you should be able to just go to the website and reserve it from there. However, even if you do not reserve it, you will still be able to download it anytime in the one year time frame for free. I think when you do get it, you will be quite pleased with it, I know I am.

Back