Microsoft Technet Subscription Student Discount - $99/yr

I got the newsletter yesterday and deleted it because I didn't see the ID but today I get a welcome email with all my login info. I ordered it on June 2.

I just got mine. Associated it with my live passport -- good to go. Beginning downloading.

Currently running Vista Ultimate SP1 x64 for 99 buck-a-roos, saweeeet. I'm also downloading Windows 3.11, because apparently it's on there and why the hell not it's 5.5mb!

I received the first email that my order was placed, however I still have not received the info to be able to download anything. I also have not received a newsletter or anything like that.

Edit: I just noticed that they charged my card, so hopefully I will be getting the info soon.

For those that didn't get in on the $99 deal, there's still a deal going on now, albeit it's for $210, but still, heckuva deal.

Use code TMSAML05 and it should be only $210.

Glad I could help everyone out. I couldn't afford it, but knew you guys would appreciate it!

I ordered on the 3rd, confirmation on the 4th and today just got the welcome email.

My subscriber number came in today. I am busy downloading lots of stuff. I plan on downloading everything that I have available to download.

My subscriber number came in today. I am busy downloading lots of stuff. I plan on downloading everything that I have available to download.

you're gonna be downloading for a LOOOOOONG time. :p

Aside from Vista, and Server 2008 (eventually), I'm pretty interested in the Application Virtualization technology. I think it'd be pretty awesome if I could install all my apps on a server and use them at will from any PC. But more than that, I like the idea that if I decide to reinstall windows (for whatever reason), I'll still have access to all the apps.

If it's doable on a small scale (i.e. single box serves up the apps and files), then I'm guessing the only thing I'd have to install when I change computers is the OS and games. Now that sounds like a winner to me....and if I can do that for 99 bucks (plus hardware), then I'm pretty damn stoked.

It will eventually be on sale again. Patience FTW or Linux.

No patience here and rather have windows, so Bill gets more $$ from me lol. Hopefully these guys work saturdays. Going by the time frame of how long it took many posters here to go from ordering to downloading, my code should be here today. Ordered on the 5th, emailed confirmation minutes later, bank account shows MS taking money out on the 6th.

Ordered on the 3rd, confirmed same day, all log-in info working and linked to Live! on the 4th. Amazingly fast for me.

Status as of (PST): 6/6/2008 1:55:20 PM Your Estimated Delivery Date is: 6/18/2008

damn wtf yo!

*Doh* I ignored this deal because I wasn't a student and it had student in the subject. Do I feel stupid. For $100 I would have done it just to update my old Office 2000 premium to the latest 2007 version.

i definitely am going to keep an eye out for this the next time it comes around. im pissed i didnt get it

Status as of (PST): 6/6/2008 1:55:20 PM Your Estimated Delivery Date is: 6/18/2008

damn wtf yo!

I wouldn't worry about it. My EDD was similar but I got it in like 2-3 days. At this point or maybe tomorrow I would give them a call just to make sure they haven't tried to email you the information and it didn't get to your email box, which is what happened to a friend of mine. After calling, they checked and gave hims ID over the phone.

I wouldn't worry about it. My EDD was similar but I got it in like 2-3 days. At this point or maybe tomorrow I would give them a call just to make sure they haven't tried to email you the information and it didn't get to your email box, which is what happened to a friend of mine. After calling, they checked and gave hims ID over the phone.

I ordered on the same day and got the 6-18 delivery date too. Hopefully it comes soon :-p

For all of you who ordered your technet subscription, received your confirmation, but have not received your subscription login information, call up Technet at (800) 344-2121 and have your order number ready.

I ordered mine on the 3rd and have been waiting but still no login info. I decided to call them and they said they sent me an email but I never received it. The guy on the phone walked me through associating Technet to my MS live passport and now I am able to log in, and I still have yet to receive the email.

ALSO..

My confirmation said:

Estimated Delivery Date if paid upfront (Not applicable to TechNet Plus Direct orders): June 13, 2008

This does NOT mean your email with login info is estimated to be sent by this date. This means if you ordered anything that needed to be shipped, it would be there by the 13th. Pretty much anyone who has ordered this deal HAS a "TechNet Plus Direct" order, which has no media to send to you. Therefore you should receive your email with login info MUCh sooner than 10 business days.

I ordered this, as well as two guys here that work with me. I ordered mine hours before they ordered theirs, and I still had not received my email. The other two guys received their email the NEXT DAY. So it looks like there is something wrong with MS's emailing system.

Like I said, call that number and they will be more than happy to walk you through setting it up.

I received 2 letters in the mail from Technet today... Haven't opened them yet, I will report back.

I'm downloading XP Professional. It shows Retail and VL. I guess VL means volume license? Is that just something where you don't have to input a key? Any benefit to getting it over retail?

I got my key and was able to log in and start downloading stuff. Got Vista Ultimate SP1 but having issues installing it.

I think a lot of folks new to this are having problems with Vista because they're downloading the wrong version. The Checked/Debug versions are optimized for people authoring drivers, and aren't anything you would want to install on a production box. Info Link

What you do want, is the Windows Vista with SP1 x64 or x86 DVD's. These are akin to the regular retail versions, and they will install any version of Vista. The technet provided key will default it to Ultimate. If you want to install some other version, don't input the key during setup, and you can pick the version you want..and then update the key prior to activating once it's installed.

technetvista.png

So you are saying that instead of entering the key during installation, if you skip that step, you can have it install any version of Vista? And after you install any version, you can then use the key that they provide you through Technet? That is very interesting, but why would anyone not want to use Ultimate (especially if it through Technet)?

So you are saying that instead of entering the key during installation, if you skip that step, you can have it install any version of Vista? And after you install any version, you can then use the key that they provide you through Technet? That is very interesting, but why would anyone not want to use Ultimate (especially if it through Technet)?

Somewhat, Vista has always provided the ability to install any version if you don't enter a key. However, this will just get you a 30-day trial version of the version you chose to install. This can be very useful though.

For example, lets say you want to try out Business but don't have a key for it yet. You can use the Vista install disc to install a full version of Business that will work for 30-days. If you then decide you want to purchase Business, all you have to do is input the key from the retail media you purchased and Vista will activate without having to reinstall.

I have used this method when I built my HTPC to test out Home Premium and it worked quite well.

I just received an ID card in the mail from MS for my Technet subscribtion. I believe this maybe what the they are referring to when they state the EDD as I got the card about the same day as my initial EDD.

..... but why would anyone not want to use Ultimate (especially if it through Technet)?

My desktop and my gaming laptop with a T9300, 8800GTS, 4GB ram and 640GB worth of space gets Ultimate. My UMPC with an A110 CPU (800Mhz), Intel intergrated graphics, 1GB ram and 40GB HDD (just put in a 120GB HDD, but space still limited) gets ....well trying to decide between bussiness or home premium and whichever it is, will be Vlited as well. Tried Ultimate on it and it works ok, but the stripped down home premium I had on it before was much more snappy for everything I need for that UMPC to do and taking out just printer drivers, languages and some other very minor stuff, I can get home premium below 4.5GB installed, Ultimate would be around 9.5GB. If you don't Vlite at all, a home premium takes about 10GB of space and Ultimate about 18GB.

Back