Microsoft’s ‘Avoid Ghetto’ Navigation Patent

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Microsoft has patented a new pedestrian travel aid which closely resembles present GPS technology, but goes much further. It has been called the ‘Avoid Ghetto’ patent for its use of database and current information to avoid ‘trouble areas’ on the walking route. The application will have loads of bells and whistles to guide you to your destination, but the question will be who will need it?

As for the "avoid ghetto" bit, Microsoft also indicates that its pedestrian route navigation system could take database information into account when planning one's walking route, which could include weather information, crime statistics, and demographic information.

New options from Microsoft Navigation include:
-Avoid tollways
-Avoid construction
-Avoid undesirables

:eek:

So pretty much it will simple tell me to walk to my front door, rerouting, rerouting, rerouting, rerouting, ... no path found, error message: "Warning ghetto person detected at 0m"... dang it, it found me. Funny thing is you'd think Apple would release a product to route around those "lesser people", glad Microsoft beat them to the punch.

Oh man, this is awesome. From Atlanta, go to school in Miami. This would be PERFECT for me!

So it doesn't give directions to LA?

As brilliantly useful as this is, I can just see this drawing out the "Discrimination/Prejudice" flags and being scrapped. :(
Here's hoping it survives the inevitable fallout.

And here comes the ACLU.

Or, the NAACP: Avoiding high-crime areas is racist!

In real news, the so-named Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has considered making it illegal for employers to do criminal background checks on prospective new employees because they think it's racist.

As brilliantly useful as this is, I can just see this drawing out the "Discrimination/Prejudice" flags and being scrapped. :(

If apple made this people would claim they only did it to stop other people from using it for BAD!!!!!

Those two British tourists that were murdered in Tampa a year or so ago would be alive today if they had this app.

^ You know where they went in Tampa and how this app would've changed their course?

Criminals do go to "low crime" areas, and places where police won't be patrolling often.

^ You know where they went in Tampa and how this app would've changed their course?

Criminals do go to "low crime" areas, and places where police won't be patrolling often.

True, but it is far more likely to happen in a high crime neighborhood than in a low crime one. Like it or not, people that don't fit in, or know the are, may not last long in those places. Cross the wrong street in the wrong color shirt and you could wind up dead. An app or at least a map that says "Don't go here, thugs running around raping, robbing, dealing, and murdering their brothers here. Don't get caught in the crossfire." Would have at least given them the tools needed to avoid that sort of area.

I have long thought that cities with this kind of problem needed to identify and broadcast the risk to visitors and local citizens.

It really is a great idea. Honestly, can't tell how many times GPS has put me through a bad area. Discrimination/Prejudice doesn't matter to me, when my life could be in danger. Don't like it, then don't screw up your neighbor hood.

Hmmm.. Liquor store, gun store, pawn shop, liquor store, check cashing, pawn shop... Oh shit, I bee in da ghetto!!

True, but it is far more likely to happen in a high crime neighborhood than in a low crime one. Like it or not, people that don't fit in, or know the are, may not last long in those places. Cross the wrong street in the wrong color shirt and you could wind up dead. An app or at least a map that says "Don't go here, thugs running around raping, robbing, dealing, and murdering their brothers here. Don't get caught in the crossfire." Would have at least given them the tools needed to avoid that sort of area.

I have long thought that cities with this kind of problem needed to identify and broadcast the risk to visitors and local citizens.

I support this feature and the freedom to avoid routes or neighborhoods, especially on foot. As a Mpls resident, I do it. There are mansions and lovely parks within 1 mile of crack dens.

But I don't know if it will solve it/protect people. Will everyone be suggested to divert to 26th Street and the thugs will wait there for targets?

Forget walking. This had better work for driving.

Some sections of Baltimore I wont go in even if driving a M1A1.

jerseyregions.jpg

Political correctness dictates one must risk dying, or a good beating, rather than be routed through a ghetto, because most thug-ridden warzones are full of blacks and latinos, and that would hurt their feelings.

Need this here in Brazil, too. Crack has gotten out of control, so if you don't know the neighborhoods, you could end up robbed and/or dead pretty easily.

Hmmm.. Liquor store, gun store, pawn shop, liquor store, check cashing, pawn shop... Oh shit, I bee in da ghetto!!

I once saw a building in the commercial district with three businesses: a pawn shop, a gun store and a bail bondsman. One stop shopping for the felons!

Really they just need to put in an algorithm to route at least 10 miles away from Church's chicken.

Or, the NAACP: Avoiding high-crime areas is racist!

In real news, the so-named Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has considered making it illegal for employers to do criminal background checks on prospective new employees because they think it's racist.

I was watching the news in my homeroom(we don't care about announcments) and you could call and state your opinion about the candidates running for president. A black woman called and said that they have received NOTHING in retribution for slavery. :rolleyes:

I would unironically use this.

Been GPS routed through Paterson (and Newark) before, fuck that shit.

Or fix the problem :p

We threw money at it for the last twenty+ years, and that has not worked. What do do you propose we do to "fix" the problem that does not include mass incarceration, sterilization, or executions?

It's a map app that helps people avoid places that are dangerous to normal law abiding, productive citizens. I don't see how anyone can really justify having an issue with it so long as it is accurate.

New options with this algorithm:

* Avoid Red/Blue states
* Avoid states with State-enforced immigration laws.
* Avoid areas that don't permit open/concealed carry
* Avoid areas where the primary language != English
* Avoid areas without public/uninsured health care
* Route through areas where marijuana is accepted/allowed
* Route through areas where speeding enforcement is at a minimum

Back