Microsoft Releases “Mojave Experiment” Videos

HardOCP News

[H] News
Remember that “Mojave Experiement” we told you about the other day where Microsoft took people with negative views of Vista and let them try what they thought was a new operating system called Mojave? Well the videos are out and they pretty much cement what most of our forum members have been saying all along. Hit the link below for the continued discussion.

Since the other thread jumped the rails, here is a fresh new thread with no flaming and arguing. Please keep it that way.

No real suprises in the little video snippets I suppose. Ignorance runs rampant even in spite of Microsoft's marketing machine. Word of mouth from idiots is still idiotic word of mouth. :)

I got a laugh from the guy asking "Why isn't it faster?" He's probably got an old PC at home and simply hasn't got a clue...

yup,

pretty much agree, I have seem so many people that say they dont like vista and either fall mainly in a few categories such as:

old hardware:
-hardware makers don't have decent or lack of drivers vista gets the blame
-vista runs slower, what you expect if you have more eye candy, etc

what never try it:
-its so amansing the power of pre notion, will dramatically change your persection of something even before even trying it

I have explore it and found it much better than xp, speed, security, etc, and would not be switching back on my main machine, but older machines will keep either server 2003 or xp since they're requirement are less, but ussaly freeze them,

sam

Now Microsoft has to put these on TV as commercials.

Agreed! I wouldn't mind watching them.

At first, I was skeptical of the "Mojave Project". After watching the videos, I can honestly say that this is actually a great way to counter negative publicity. It's an intelligent way of telling people that they're stupid for letting Apple tell them what their opinion should be.

that would be strange, I have never recall seen a microsoft comercial :confused:

I saw several "Do More with Windows XP" commercials a couple years ago, and I saw some other commercials along the lines of "The power of Windows Server 2003", iirc. Or maybe it was "Windows to the power of XP"... well, something like that. Anyway, I've seen several MS commercials about XP and Server 03.

I hope the Mojave campaign makes it to TV airwaves... I think people should see these videos - too much fud from other places.

Agreed! I wouldn't mind watching them.

At first, I was skeptical of the "Mojave Project". After watching the videos, I can honestly say that this is actually a great way to counter negative publicity. It's an intelligent way of telling people that they're stupid for letting Apple tell them what their opinion should be.

This is the kind of real counter-advertising Microsoft needs to use in order to combat the nonsense that Apple calls clever advertising. This would completely deflate Apple's balloon, then at the end of the commercial have the voice-over say something like this, "Seeing as the power of suggestion can be very powerful, would you buy or operate a computing system based on the advice of this person?" and then show a picture of Ellen Fiess.

Yeah, I'd love to see Microsoft use it cash to build the Windows brand. Windows is a powerful brand it needs to be treated as such. Microsoft needs to do LOTS more TV advertising.

I heard a lot of bad things about Vista. I got a free copy of vista Ultimate and I got to say I really like it, especially after I have used it for a while now. there's a lot of differences and things you have to relearn if you are use to XP. Also there is a lot of things that can be worked out by using the right settings. And last but not least, you do have to have the correct hardware for Vista.
One of the biggest complaints I heard about Vista were the lack of drivers, this issue was true, but I do not thing it is any longer an issue except for some hardware vendors refusing to put out drivers for older hardware. I have an older ATI TV Wonder PCI, ATI is flat out refusing to offer any kind of Vista drivers for this TV card, and why should they, this way they have forced me to buy something new, and this increases there sales. I am guessing it is true for a lot of hardware out there, This is not any fault of Windows Vista, but of the hardware manufacturers that are getting greedy.
I am also guessing that a lot of the people upgrading from XP to Vista have a lot of these older parts that do not have any Vista Drivers available.
You cant expect new software to run on 10 yeear old computers, and theres alot of people out there that are trying it out and finding that it does not run well at all. I myself spent over $500 on hardware preparing for Vista, and I have found that vista runs really nice because of it.

wow, i hadn't heard of that, but it's really cool. Funny how trying it out for yourself can change your opinion so quickly...

This is exactly what Microsoft needs to counter Apple's rather agressive attacks since Vista's release. I'm really surprised that they haven't answered it sooner, I think they've finally realized that it IS driving customers away, and they do have to do more to keep people coming back to their products.

Of course the entire experiment hangs on the thread of credibility. How credible do you rate that these people are not just plants - or that they were pre-disposed to answering one way and then reversing themselves. Just as the interviewer prompted. The entire hidden camera angle plays heavily that these are just "real" people that we brought in.

This is really nothing more than a hard push by MS Marketing Department - IMO one of the most skilled marketing departments around. Nothing really new here. Still I think it will play well in those markets that the switch commercials pushed against.

Just another way to show that when you take someones word for something, you better make sure they know what they are talking about. Because they probably don't. Try it for yourself.

For most individuals, they will find Vista to be the better operating system, assuming they aren't avoiding it for technical reasons like their computer hardware predates Windows XP. There are going to be a few people who just don't like new stuff and prefer to keep old stuff around for a long time. We all know people like that, it isn't just about operating systems. Some people simply do not like change.

Then there will be people who just like to call Microsoft "Macro$haft", and rant and rave about them being equivalent to Nazi Germany all day long. Those are the people Mojave wont do anything about.

But for everyone else, this is ia great idea.

I've only watched a the first 4 or 5, but there were a few LOL moment for me.

That's some funny stuff. Amazing how much misinformation people are fed from friends or "tech" people.

What are the actual pros of vista over XP? I tried Vista Ultimate once for about a month, after fiddling with all the settings for a few hours I actually got it working properly, (and liked it), (this was b4 sp1), but I gave up on it eventually and returned to XP, I liked dx10 and the search features, (those were the only things I noticed), but I didn't feel it compensated for the irritability I experienced while using it.

I was pretty and all, but basic folder tasks became a little more time consuming (yeah, I removed the breadcrumbs).

Is there any feature Vista has over XP I just didn't notice? DX10 and that search thing are both good, but they cant really justify getting used to the new system (too me).

I know the security is supposedly better, but I never cared much for security anyway, what do they mean by security anyway? For the average home user what does better "security" offer? Have not gotten a single Virus since I got nod32, no malware/whatever, and most of the home network security features just bugged me to death.

Anything I didn't notice?

I was very excited about vista, I tried the betas, the RCs, and I kept telling myself that they were going to have all of these problems fixed when it finally came out. well when it came out my NIC would say that it lost network connectivity, It would come back about 2 hours later randomly. I replaced the cable, I tried my other NIC on my mobo, I tried hooking straight up to the cable modem thinking it might be my hub. Nope it was vista. disabling IPV6 bought me about 20 more minutes on average before my connection would drop. Eventually I hooked up both of my network cards at once just so that I would always have one up. unfortunately that didn't happen either. I was still without internet unless i constantly rebooted. One of my NICs was Nvidia the other was Intel so it's not like I'm using noname equipment here.

Second problem, yes it was slow. very slow. I was using a 4600+ dual core cpu and i applied all the hotfixes and registry tweak I could think of. XP was so much faster. Enough of this garbage about oh they must have been using old machines. if those same old machines could run xp just fine why should vista run any worse? Shouldn't vista be leaner, be built with much more experience under the Devs belts? Shouldn't it be built with less legacy junk and thus run better? Nope it runs like junk compared to xp, sure the drivers aren't as polished yet, but vista will never run as well as xp.

Nobody would stand for it if they updated their linux kernel and their desktop ran 25% slower, and certainly the kernel devs wouldn't yell at people to get rid of their old machines and buy great new fancy ones so they could run a newer kernel.

Better security features ( alot harder for a rogue program to screw windows up)

Microsoft sells this and supports this.

alot faster with bigger files

Aero

------

ps I still use xp although I have it on a dual boot.

I love the Favorite Links when exploring folders. Great for quickly picking favorite folder when downloading different things. Vista is excellent. It's the little things that no one mentions. Though when it got stuck on estimating time when transferring and deleting I was like "WTF!? How the hell did this make it too release?"

I went Vista around the time it came out and it has everything I want/need. I couldn't see switching back to another other OS.

So according to engadget, the participants didn't actually use "Mojave" and instead were shown a 10 minute presentation on it.

We'll admit, we hate senseless Microsoft / Vista bashing just as much as the next guy, and that's not what this is about. The problem here is Microsoft basically filmed itself an infomercial (or "pulled a Pizza Hut," as pointed out in comments) and is passing it off as some interesting experiment into FUD. If these users had been sent home for a week or so with a Vista machine -- or better yet, a copy of Vista to install themselves -- that'd be a whole different story, but they weren't. There was no scientific method in play, no control experiment, nothing. They were shown a 10 minute demo. That's it.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/29/mojave-experiment-goes-live-doesnt-fail-to-annoy/

What are the actual pros of vista over XP? I tried Vista Ultimate once for about a month, after fiddling with all the settings for a few hours I actually got it working properly, (and liked it), (this was b4 sp1), but I gave up on it eventually and returned to XP, I liked dx10 and the search features, (those were the only things I noticed), but I didn't feel it compensated for the irritability I experienced while using it.

I was pretty and all, but basic folder tasks became a little more time consuming (yeah, I removed the breadcrumbs).

Is there any feature Vista has over XP I just didn't notice? DX10 and that search thing are both good, but they cant really justify getting used to the new system (too me).

I know the security is supposedly better, but I never cared much for security anyway, what do they mean by security anyway? For the average home user what does better "security" offer? Have not gotten a single Virus since I got nod32, no malware/whatever, and most of the home network security features just bugged me to death.

Anything I didn't notice?

Nothing really, your preferences are your preferences. However, the bad rap Vista has received is largely undeserved.
There are not many really good reasons I could give you to upgrade an existing Xp machine, especially an older one, to Vista imho. However, there are few good reasons to not to use Vista in a new build or on a new pc provided it is not an Eee Pc, or the like, or you have some ancient legacy software/device that you are forced to use for whatever reason that does not work with Vista. On a home pc of course, not talking about business pc's here.

Use what you like, but the fud that we hear every day is a bit ludicrous. (Not accusing you of spreading fud)

Well, I've read my fair share of Vista bashing before I ended up buying a new machine that came with it preinstalled.

I had already decided that Vista seemed rather sluggish in some aspects when playing with it on demo models in stores. I wrote that up as half "Vista is slow" and half "too much preinstalled junk on the systems."

I got a new laptop last year that had Vista preinstalled, but I also made sure I was buying something that had XP driver support. (ASUS G1) I gave it a try. It was slow and clunky.

I uninstalled a lot of the bundled applications and cleaned up the system. Still slightly sluggish. I was going from an AMD64 3800+ (single core) to a Core2Duo 2.0Ghz, so I didn't expect it to be as sluggish as it was... using that as a point of comparison.

I decided to go for it and nuked the drive. Installed WinXP and installed the drivers, plus 2 apps I had to have to be able to control the mini OLED display on the laptop and the OSD for hotbuttons on the laptop.

And well. I wasn't surprised. The laptop was a -LOT- faster with XP than it was with Vista and everything unnecessary stripped out.

So eh. Vista is just not for me.

I also ended up buying an ACER laptop for my parents to replace their aging one. It was, within reason, similar spec to my ASUS. 1.8Ghz clocked AMDX2 mobile versus a 2.0Ghz clocked Core2Duo mobile.

Vista dragged. Uninstalled the apps, still dragged. Mainly on 3D. Made my recovery DVD from the files on HD in a secret partition and nuked it. Installed XP for my parents and while the system was still -somewhat- lacking... (Mainly due to the cheap shared memory integrated graphics/3d, where it fared the worst), it was about as good as my Asus in most other ways. The HD actually benchmarked about 3MB/sec faster, on average, than the one in my ASUS. Both are SATA, mine's 120GB and the other was 160GB. Mine's Seagate, the Acer came with a Toshiba. Both systems had 2GB of memory, the Acer was minus 64MB total for video. Memory was clocked at the same speed for both.

So just from my own experience, Vista does tend to drag the systems down a bit... the lag is still noticable despite uninstalling any bundled apps versus a fresh XP install. Problem being, without a Vista install disc, I couldn't do a fresh install of Vista on either system... being as both only came with recovery discs or required me to make recovery discs. That would only reintroduce the bundled bloat.

In the end, I still think it's more Vista than anything else.

On principle, I've only used versions of XP I had access to that came with volume licensing keys. No registration. The DRM overhead on Vista is enough, aside from my experience with how Vista can be a little more sluggish on the same hardware as XP, to keep me from wanting to use it at all.

Now, Windows XP Fundamentals, THAT'S what I had been waiting for. I installed it on a file server and it's very lean, fast and works great. To desktop, an install of WinXPF only consumed about 94MB of ram. HD install space was 490MB. My fav OS was NT4, so WinXPF damn near completely pulled off what I wanted. A version of XP that was updated for newer hardware but without anything extra installed that I didn't want.

When it comes to a new system, a format and reinstall, a rebuild system for any other purpose where I'd be putting Windows on it... no matter the horsepower behind it. Even my own laptop if I decide to stick with WinXP and not install Ubuntu (though strongly considering it)... WinXP Fundamentals is going on. It's lean. It's fast. it's nice and it's what Microsoft should have done a long time ago.

Now, Windows XP Fundamentals, THAT'S what I had been waiting for. I installed it on a file server and it's very lean, fast and works great. To desktop, an install of WinXPF only consumed about 94MB of ram. HD install space was 490MB. My fav OS was NT4, so WinXPF damn near completely pulled off what I wanted. A version of NT that was updated for newer hardware but without anything extra installed that I didn't want.

Rephrased. grr. Typos and jumbled thoughts.

WORD!? THIS IS VISTA. REALLY? REALLY? ... REALLY? OH REALLY?

543722047_87430840ef_o.jpg

I put a "bricopack" and Objectdock on the laptop on ye olde XP and convinced a few people it was a leaked "Snow Leopard", then told some others that it was "Windows 7".. Everybody flipped out, so awesome, wow, yay, want it, got lots to say it was too bad XP can't do that.. Re-sold XP to them easy in the bag with just a little visual tweak.

The confusion of adapting to a new OS threw too many people. Lotta companies went from Win2k to Vista and it also meant getting Office 2007 at the same time, that's a bit too much of a jump for people who are already afraid of computers. I've spent enough time just helping people get rid of "the floating clock" and god save those people from "the ribbon".

These videos need to hit on the IT guys who know for a fact your practically new perfectly good Photosmart printer and your favorite webcam just ain't gonna work in Vista because the selfish manufacturer says we will provide no Vista drivers now or ever, plz buy new printer. Drivers drivers drivers! Not everyone wants to update all their peripherals when they get a new OS. That's my complaint.

I don't understand all this Vista is slow and sluggish crap. Have you actually USED Vista for more than an hour?

If anything it seems faster to me for my typical tasks, Superfetch is awesome. :D

I see this everyday at work. Ludites with no idea between RAM/ROM stating they will never ever considering to upgrading to Vista on their home PCs, even if they have to pay more for XP. Usually, the response to "have you ever used or seen it?" is "well no, but..." Same is true to some extend with Office 2007 (although there are some valid usability/interface concerns here).

I'd like to see same sort of study could be applied to people with preconceptions of different religions or cultures...

That said, Vista really doesn't offer any compelling reason for an enterprise upgrade, especially considering the current market.

Vista is to XP as XP was to Win98/windows 2000.

I heard just as much bitching about having to have the hardware to run Windows XP as I do now about Vista.

Hell, even Paul Thurrott said that XP wasn't faster than 2000 or 98.
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_rc1.asp
My own experience with these operating systems is somewhat different, and I don't see Windows XP outperforming any previous version of Windows on identical hardware. However, this isn't a defeat for XP per se: Windows XP uses more resources because of its superior, full-featured user interface and other features. I think the trade-off is well worth it.

Isn't this the same freakin argument we have here?

This comments from here state it all:
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=6958

"Windows XP Sucks"

No kidding!

It has crap for compatibility with older programs (example, those created to run on 9x)

It's not secure at all. Forget about hackers breaking in, microsoft will be the one stealing info from you! (try doing a search in your local intranet zone, or viewing a movie on Windows Media player 7.0 or greater - or heck, getting a microbrain DVD decoder)

Get yourself Windows 2000 Professional.

or better yet:
Windows XP blows. I reinstalled Win 98 SE

Windows XP is a terrible operating system, even by Microsoft's standards. The skinning feature was long overdue, and they package it with a horrible kindergarten skin. It is filled with gaping security holes, as usual. And Microsoft is slow to release bug fixes. Compatibility is the worst i've seen in Windows (except for NT 4 or lower). The spyware is the sort of thing you'd expect only from poor suckers trying to make another penny (which is strange since MS is probably the richest company in the US, and possibly the world). [End ranting]

Avatar, I have no idea what you are talking about! My experiance with XP compatibility was not good at all. I frequently encountered those pleasant "Your program crashed, but Microsoft wants to help! So send this bug report!" dialogs. The only game I haven't been able to get running under Windows 2000 Pro was Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, and that was only because the server that hosted the Win2k patch went down.

Save some money, and some pride... Get Windows 2000 Pro for games, and Slackware Linux 8+ for everything else.

As for all you people proudly displaying your 'erreet warez puppy' crap.. I hope the feds bust you. 'nuff said.

Only good thing about XP is that it will get more people using the NT kernel (5.1 even!)

Sound very familiar to me.........

I use Vista at home on my main machine (vista ultimate 64), on my laptop (Vista Business 64), and XP on my wife's laptop. I won't go back to XP, no need to at all.

I use Vista. On my main machine. Daily. With SP1 installed, and all updates. It's been that way for the three months I've had it.

I hate it.

It's an HP Media Center running Vista Ultimate 32-bit with an e6420, 2GB of RAM and a 2x320GB RAID0. The only reason I'm using it is because the Media Center aspect of it supports more formats natively than XP MCE did, even with its infinite add-ons.

Vista's MCE interface doesn't handle USB drives well at all- every time I plug or unplug something, MCE crashes and needs to be Taskman'd out. This is especially true of Video folders.

Just moving the mouse over the sidebar causes my CPU utilization to spike from 4% to over 20%.

Media Player 11 is horrendous- it takes forever to load a file, and closing the application only stops the actual file from playing about half the time- the audio keeps playing, and the file can't be deleted.

Every USB drive I've used- be it a thumb drive, an SD card, you name it- throws a hissy fit if I don't use Vista's Eject feature. Even with the Optimization set for quick removal.

The speed is nice, but it's just too quirky and specific for mission-critical operation. Thanks, but all of my other machines will remain on XP and XP64.

I don't think the difference between windows 2k and XP was that great. We updated all our people rather quickly from 2k to xp and the users had no issues. If we moved them to vista right now it would be a nightmare. I hate how I wanted to do something that would be simple in xp is a chore in vista. Like start run cmd...on the vista computers i've seen it is buried deeper in the menu system, dam annoying for me, minor sure, could it be moved, sure, still annoying.

We have people come in all the time with new laptops, just had a class of business people who can afford decent laptops start and half had brand new laptops with vista on them. They are still slow compared to the ones that had XP on them.

Driver issues, not MS fault but still a problem. Custom software issues, again not MS fault but it is a problem. Not to mention training computer stupid people who can barely use XP.
All of these things matter to us techs and makes us not want to upgrade to vista. The cost benefit ratio just is not there yet, for us at work. Sure my next pc at home will be vista but no way is it good enough for all the biz apps we run.

So please stop with the "idiots" comments it helps nothing, people have different setups and situations, whether you like it or not vista is not the solution for everyone no matter how much you want it to be.

I've tried Vista for a little bit on my aunt's Gateway. It seemed nice enough, but then again I didn't try to do anything special or technical with it. Just getting it set up to work with a router.

I will say some of the menu layouts threw me off a bit, and some of the things they renamed also left me feeling lost, but this is more of a navigation issue rather than a technical issue, so its really more of a slight annoyance than anything. When you're so used to the old school way that's been embedded into the system since like, what, 95? 98 Second Edition? Its hard to break away from that habit of looking for specific things in specific areas, even in the face of knowing you have a new interface to go through.

Anyone got a copy of dos 6.22, win 3.11 floppies, and some trumpet winsock? I want my program manager back!!! :p

i have run vista/office 2007 since day 1. and ran the betas. i have run v64 since last summer. only issues i can recall were some stuff with the signed drivers, but thats been resolved (fixt). i dual booted v64 and xp performance edition for a while, but ended up never booting into xp, so shit-canned it. runs fine for me. its an operating system. it works. drivers are a non-issue now, as is network throughput.

Back