Microsoft Profit Jumps 35% But Investors Shrug

HardOCP News

[H] News
Microsoft’s third quarter net income is up thirty five percent but that apparently wasn’t enough to make investors happy.:confused:

Revenue rose 6 percent to $14.5 billion, slightly more than the $14.4 billion analysts were expecting. Microsoft had $13.6 billion in revenue in the same quarter a year ago. The division responsible for Windows increased revenue 28 percent to $4.4 billion. Revenue from Microsoft's entertainment division, which makes the Xbox 360 game system and the Windows mobile operating system, edged up 2 percent to $1.7 billion.

article said:
wasn't enough to satisfy investors who were looking for a bigger boost from recovering business spending.

Nothing has really recovered yet, so they should be happy as hell i think

Nothing has really recovered yet, so they should be happy as hell i think

Well it depends on how much they paid for the shares. If the shares are still under what they bought them for then yes it's worth a shrug. The only good news is, "Yes, I haven't lost quite as much."

Awwwwwww.. poor richies... You'll have to put off buying your next supercar for another month or so now...

uh.... thats not the way wall street works. the rule is buy on rumors, sell on news. if you look at their chart you can see it has been steadily climbing since feb. so lots of people dumped their shares yesterday. anyway heavy trading today in msft, will be interesting to see what happens.

Gotta love how shareholders are just as greedy as the CEO. "OMG we made 35% profit on our shares, but it still is not good enough, I wanted 100%." It is greed like this that caused the depression we are in, and until they get their collective heads out of their asses, the cycle will just repeat

Gotta love how shareholders are just as greedy as the CEO. "OMG we made 35% profit on our shares, but it still is not good enough, I wanted 100%." It is greed like this that caused the depression we are in, and until they get their collective heads out of their asses, the cycle will just repeat

Shareholders are you and I. Greed is inate in humans.

stock prices in general are not set by shareholders, they are set by the small percentage of people doing the buying and selling on any given day. or if there is large movement over time that is usually caused by mutual funds buying/selling large amounts of shares.

I think greedy shareholders are going to be the end of this company. Maybe Microsoft should just start buying back some of their shares and keep the greedy sons of bitches out of the loop. If 35% isn't good enuf then what is?

I own about 200 shares (which is not a lot, i understand)... and I am not sure what I have to do with this....

this is more to do with fund managers selling off or buying stock based on news cycles.... not individual stock holders

If one group jumps 6% in profits, another jumps 28% in profits, and another jumps 2% in profits, that's NOT a 35% increase in overall profits.

That's not even 28%.

Last year they had a total profit of 18.7 billion.
This year they had a total profit of 20.5 billion.
That's 10%

If one group jumps 6% in profits, another jumps 28% in profits, and another jumps 2% in profits, that's NOT a 35% increase in overall profits.

That's not even 28%.

Last year they had a total profit of 18.7 billion.
This year they had a total profit of 20.5 billion.
That's 10%
Read the lead-in. Quarterly profit rose 35% from the same quarter last year. That's $4.01 Billion vs. $2.98 Billion.

Of course, that $2.98 Billion was a 32% decrease from the year before...

Look. the big problem with the article is the dumb assumptions. why did profit rise 35% from last year? because they have been selling the sh*t out of windows 7. everyone here knows this. most people here are probably running W7. it is not a surprise. the market certainly knows this and the data had already been priced into the shares. So the real idiots are the people reporting this as "news". It is not news.

The problem: They are not Apple. Wall Street jerks off over Apple news. Even though MSFT runs more PC's in some states, than MacOS does in the entire U.S. (sarcasm, but you get my point)

Back