Microsoft Plans to Win Back Consumers with “Modern Life Services”

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Admitting it has tarnished its image with consumers, Microsoft has announced a plan to win people back with a cross-platform apps and services initiative dubbed “Modern Life Services.” Apparently, the company will try to attract the attention of “professional consumers" with new Windows, Outlook, and PowerPoint features that will “make productivity more sexy.”

One example: The Microsoft"Your Phone" app, which Microsoft execs first showed off at the Build 2018 developer conference earlier this year. Your Phone on Windows 10 will allow users to respond to text messages on their Windows desktops, as well as drag and drop photos from their desktops and send them via their phones without actually having to access the phones.

If Windows 10 is the best they can do, then they'll never win me back.

I use win 10 every day at work, and omfg it's pain with way too many gotchas.

Why does Microsoft CRM use Silverlight still? That only works in IE11 btw.

Why can't Edge use all SharePoint browser features?

Why does Outlook crash so fucking much and then not give any feedback why in logging?

Why does start menu search suck way more than Windows 7's version?

Why can't I tell it to stop updating if I accidentally hit the update button?

Why does Windows server 2016 and Windows 10 ignore update GPO policy written by Microsoft?

Why do we STILL have the registry?

Microsoft only cares about market share. Nothing else. I'm so glad we have alternatives.

If you're curious what I mean, check this out : https://hardforum.com/threads/bloodyiron-on-linux-gaming-youtube.1964861/

Last edited:
exec: After foisting win10 on "nearly 700 million devices" and getting all that telemetry data (that we weren't going to tell you we were doing), we've learned.... that we still suck. So our plan is to win you back! by giving you features that gsuite, ios & macos, have had for years and years, but on OUR products!!! So cool, right?!

If Windows 10 is the best they can do, then they'll never win me back.

I use win 10 every day at work, and omfg it's pain with way too many gotchas.

Why does Microsoft CRM use Silverlight still? That only works in IE11 btw.

Why can't Edge use all SharePoint browser features?

Why does Outlook crash so fucking much and then not give any feedback why in logging?

Why does start menu search suck way more than Windows 7's version?

Why can't I tell it to stop updating if I accidentally hit the update button?

Why does Windows server 2016 and Windows 10 ignore update GPO policy written by Microsoft?

Why do we STILL have the registry?

Microsoft only cares about market share. Nothing else. I'm so glad we have alternatives.

You should really concentrate on the topic at hand and not going out of your way to bash something not even in the OP. We get it, you hate Windows 10, move on.

Fuck "services" and anything "as a service".

Windows 10 isn't a service, but is a product - legally, effectively, and literally.

Reading Microsoft's own explanation of their 'as a service' slogan, it clearly doesn't refer at all to the Windows licenses that people buy, but to Microsoft's own internal development and release schedule - which doesn't entitle Microsoft to any rights or benefits over people's personally-owned copies of Windows 10. And, indeed, it would not be legally for Microsoft to claim any rights over copies of Windows 10 that they've sold to people, transferring the ownership of those copies of Windows 10 to the people who bought them.

Microsoft's "as a service" slogan is psychological propaganda, and I suspect that it is meant to help subdue people's expectations when it comes to Microsoft unilaterally stealing their data and selling it for Microsoft's profit - which Microsoft does without having entered into a contract to allow for the commercialization of people's hardware, software, electricity, housing, time, activity, etc.

A service is not something that people buy and own, but is something that people access and use. The Amazon storefront, the Google search page, Facebook, Twitter, are all examples of services. Since people do not own those things and haven't bought licenses entitling them to those things, they remain solely the property of Amazon, Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc, and when a person accesses them they are doing so as a guest. That makes the data that is generated by those services which are hosted by their owners' up for debate as to whether those service owners are entitled to do with it as they please.

However, the situation with Windows 10 is very different: Windows 10 is a packaged product that is sold via perpetual licenses (which are products), each of which represent a non-reproduceable instance of the Windows 10 IP. As the EU top court has ruled and which no comparable court in the world has ruled contrary to, when people buy an instance / license of Windows 10 or any other software, they own their copy of that software and possess full ownership rights over that copy of the software IP. And Windows 10 is not hosted on Microsoft's servers, using Microsoft's electricity, hardware, etc. Windows 10 is hosted on the hardware of the people who bought Windows 10 copies, and it runs using the electricity of the people who bought Windows 10 copies.

Windows 10 is marketed as (as perpetual licenses), sold as, (bought as), run as, and owned as a product. That makes Windows 10 the opposite of a service and the opposite of the situations of Amazon, Google, Facebook, Twitter, and other services.

So, when people use Windows 10, it isn't the situation of Windows 10 owners being guests in the software - they are instead the landlords of their Windows 10 software. Which means that when Microsoft unilaterally takes data from people's Windows 10 OSes and then sells it for Microsoft's profit, Microsoft is entering into people's property as a thief, is taking their belongings without permission, and then is selling the belongings of people on the black market - and all at the expense of the people that have bought Windows 10. It is unjust enrichment, it is profiting off of crime, it is theft, and it is a violation of property rights.

But the whole purpose behind Microsoft using their "as a service" slogan (which Windows 10 is not, and which Microsoft's own documentation shows doesn't actually mean to refer to Windows licenses / instances), I think, is to pacify people into expecting to not have rights over their own data.

Also, Microsoft could be mentally prepping people for a Windows-as-a-subscription service down the line, with the goal being to create an appearance of legal entitlement to using people's data (which MS still would not have unless they also hosted Windows on their own hardware and it was 100% cloud-run). Whether or not Microsoft is doing that, the fact still is that what Microsoft is currently doing in taking Windows 10 owners' personally-owned data without a commercialization license from individual Windows 10 owners is theft and is illegal. And referring to Windows 10 "as a service" which Microsoft's documents don't even do, is an outright lie.

Last edited:
They better offer something damn compelling to try to win consumers. What kind of stuff do consumers do a lot of? I'd argue video and pictures via social media. This market is already full and has heavy hitters in it. I have a family (wife and kids) - I know a lot of other people afflicted with the same situation. Post videos/pictures to FB/Instagram/whatever you are using. Comment on other peoples posts. Brag about your vacations and holidays. This is stuff my wife shows me all the time (I haven't used FB in over a year - even then, only to answer a message from someone I have a link to on FB.).

Outside of that, hmm...you start getting into niche markets. Possibly financial tools (like Mint, remember Microsoft Money?), fitness/health (already crowded, tough market as well, plus they have played here in the past with Health Vault), ?? I'm sure there are other areas, but can't see a big push from the consumer for something that isn't commonly used already. Plus, the nice markets are just that - niche. I don't have numbers, but do know a lot of people avoid this type of stuff because its extra work and not fun.

Just look at how people are using their phones now. That is what they want. You might find something new, but its doing to be challenging and won't be a PC product in my opinion (at least for the masses.) Microsoft messed up so bad by losing the mobile market. It's actually staggering since they had a product. Then again, history has shown first to market usually doesn't win. (Realize they were not first to have a smart phone - but they had deep pockets and a platform.)

Windows 10 isn't a service, but is a product - legally, effectively, and literally.

Reading Microsoft's own explanation of their 'as a service' slogan, it clearly doesn't refer at all to the Windows licenses that people buy, but to Microsoft's own internal development and release schedule - which doesn't entitle Microsoft to any rights or benefits over people's personally-owned copies of Windows 10. And, indeed, it would not be legally for Microsoft to claim any rights over copies of Windows 10 that they've sold to people, transferring the ownership of those copies of Windows 10 to the people who bought them.

Microsoft's "as a service" slogan is psychological propaganda, and I suspect that it is meant to help subdue people's expectations when it comes to Microsoft unilaterally stealing their data and selling it for Microsoft's profit - which Microsoft does without having entered into a contract to allow for the commercialization of people's hardware, software, electricity, housing, time, activity, etc.

A service is not something that people buy and own, but is something that people access and use. The Amazon storefront, the Google search page, Facebook, Twitter, are all examples of services. Since people do not own those things and haven't bought licenses entitling them to those things, they remain solely the property of Amazon, Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc, and when a person accessing them they are doing so as a guest. That makes the data that is generated by those services which are hosted by their owners' up for debate as to whether those service owners are entitled to do with it as they please.

However, the situation with Windows 10 is very different: Windows 10 is a packaged product that is sold via perpetual licenses (which are products), each of which represented a non-reproduceable instance of the Windows 10 IP. As the EU top court has ruled and which no comparable court in the world has ruled contrary to, when people buy an instance / license of Windows 10 or any other software, they own their copy of that software and possess full ownership rights over that copy of the software IP. And Windows 10 is not hosted on Microsoft's servers, using Microsoft's electricity, hardware, etc. Windows 10 is hosted on the hardware of the people who bought Windows 10 copies, and it runs using the electricity of the people who bought Windows 10 copies.

Windows 10 is marketed as (as perpetual licenses), sold as, (bought as), run as, and owned as a product. That makes Windows 10 the opposite of a service and the opposite of the situations of Amazon, Google, Facebook, Twitter, and other services.

So, when people use Windows 10, it isn't the situation of Windows 10 owners being guests in the software - they are instead the landlords of their Windows 10 software. Which means that when Microsoft unilaterally takes data from people's Windows 10 OSes and then sells it for Microsoft's profit, Microsoft is entering into people's property as a thief, is taking their belongings without permission, and then is selling the belongings of people on the black market - and all at the expense of the people that have bought Windows 10. It is unjust enrichment, it is profiting off of crime, it is theft, and it is a violation of property rights.

But the whole purpose behind Microsoft using their "as a service" slogan (which Windows 10 is not, and which Microsoft's own documentation shows doesn't actually mean to refer to Windows licenses / instances), I think, is to pacify people into expecting to not have rights over their own data.

Also, Microsoft could be mentally prepping people for a Windows-as-a-subscription service down the line, with the goal being to create an appearance of legal entitlement to using people's data (which MS still would not have unless they also hosted Windows on their own hardware and it was 100% cloud-run). Whether or not Microsoft is doing that, the fact still is that what Microsoft is currently doing in taking Windows 10 owners' personally-owned data without a commercialization license from individual Windows 10 owners is theft and is illegal. And referring to Windows 10 "as a service" which Microsoft's documents don't even do, is an outright lie.

Yet the average Win 10 end user doesn't really own a copy. They have a license to use a copy. The end user owns the license, not a copy of Win 10. And Microsoft retains a lot of control over how Win 10 operates. Forced telemetry, pushed applications, mandatory updates, pushed advertising, often resetting preferences without end user consent, etc. If you really owned a copy of Win 10, you could fully control all of that and Microsoft could do nothing to prevent you from doing it.

If Microsoft really wants to win us back as consumers, they would stop viewing us as a product to be data mined and give us back control over purchased products.

Yet the average Win 10 end user doesn't really own a copy. They have a license to use a copy. The end user owns the license, not a copy of Win 10. And Microsoft retains a lot of control over how Win 10 operates. Forced telemetry, pushed applications, mandatory updates, pushed advertising, often resetting preferences without end user consent, etc. If you really owned a copy of Win 10, you could fully control all of that and Microsoft could do nothing to prevent you from doing it.

If Microsoft really wants to win us back as consumers, they would stop viewing us as a product to be data mined and give us back control over purchased products.

The license is of the Windows 10 IP. The license itself represents a right to use the Windows 10 IP via non-reproduceable instance (AKA a copy) of it. EU courts have ruled that people do own the software that they purchase - and there has been no contradictory ruling from any other top court.

All the physical items you own are similarly licenses of an Intellectual Property: Your TV, your computer hardware, your cars, your clothes... with all of those things, you haven't purchased the intellectual property for them but you have purchased licensed instances of their IPs, represented by the copies of those IPs that you've purchased. In the same way that you own your TV, car, clothes, and PC hardware, you also own the software that you've purchased perpetual licenses for.

The idea that software isn't owned is nothing more than an urban myth and corporate propaganda. Both of these are simultaneously true:

This software (IP) is licensed, not sold
This software (instance / license) is sold, not licensed or leased

There was a lengthy discussion about this topic in this thread:

Tech giants trying to stop impending vote on opting-out of collection / sale of personal data

If you really owned a copy of Win 10, you could fully control all of that and Microsoft could do nothing to prevent you from doing it.

The thing is, you do have a natural right to control all of those things. But Microsoft is ignoring that right. That's why what Microsoft is doing is akin to a thief breaking into your house, stealing your possessions (your data), and selling it on the black market.

California has just passed new law requiring software and tech companies to allow people to opt out of having their data collected and sold. I hope that more states and countries will follow California's lead to stamp out data theft from companies like Microsoft.

Last edited:
The license is of the Windows 10 IP. The license itself represents a right to use the Windows 10 IP via non-reproduceable instance (AKA a copy) of it. EU courts have ruled that people do own the software that they purchase - and there has been no contradictory ruling from any other top court.

From the Microsoft Win 10 license Section 2: a. License. The software is licensed, not sold. . . . .

Sure seems like Microsoft believes you don't own the actual software. EU rules may be different.

From what I remember, the few US court rulings on things like EULA, PP and TOS have been somewhat mixed in result but mostly settled out of court before the case got to a high level court. Most folks really don't want to take Microsoft or other large software companies to court as most such companies have several billion in cash sitting around and they have also donated liberally to PACs and campaigns.

Hopefully the California law survives and spreads

From the Microsoft Win 10 license Section 2: a. License. The software is licensed, not sold. . . . .

Sure seems like Microsoft believes you don't own the actual software. EU rules may be different.

From what I remember, the few US court rulings on things like EULA, PP and TOS have been somewhat mixed in result but mostly settled out of court before the case got to a high level court. Most folks really don't want to take Microsoft or other large software companies to court as most such companies have several billion in cash sitting around and they have also donated liberally to PACs and campaigns.

Hopefully the California law survives and spreads

The "The software is licensed, not sold..." part of the Microsoft EULA refers to the Windows 10 software Intellectual Property, which is licensed (just like your clothes, your TV, your computer hardware, your vehicles), and not the Windows 10 software copies that are sold via their licenses. The EULA phrase should be read and understood like this:

This software (IP) is licensed, not sold
This software (instance / license) is sold, not licensed or leased

The software instances / licenses are obviously themselves sold. And where the Windows 10 EULA says that their license entitled them to use "the software", it's again referring to the Windows 10 IP. The license itself represents a non-reproduceable instance of the Windows 10 IP.

You're right that there have been conflicting US lower court rulings regarding software licenses, and that the matter has never gone to a higher court in the USA. Because of that, it's baseless for anyone to claim that people in the USA don't own their software.

But the reason why cases have not gone to a higher court in the USA is not likely to be because of those presenting cases against Microsoft. If it was people filing against Microsoft not wanting their cases to go to higher courts because of Microsoft's financial and legal leverage then there would be no settlements - because a settlement requires Microsoft agreeing to pay in order to prevent the case from going to a higher court, and Microsoft would just refuse to do that if they believed they had the upper hand.

Also, an out-of-court settlement indicates an admission by the defence that there could be some level of merit to the case against them, and so a company is not willing to settle unless they either think they'll lose, or they think defending against the case will use up too much resources.

It's also in the interest of a corporation to see a lawsuit through to the end if they believe they will win it, as the verdict in their favour sets a precedent that protects them against future similar lawsuits.

But it's Microsoft that doesn't want cases going to a higher court, because Microsoft is surely aware that any case against their EULAs will most likely end up just like the EU rulings that said all of this:

EU highest court says software licence terms can be ignored
EU Court: When You Buy Software You Own It
EU Court Says, Yes, You Can Resell Your Software, Even If The Software Company Says You Can't

A case about EULAs in the USA that goes to the Supreme Court will almost surely end the same way because EULAs are not laws and corporations do not possess law-making powers, and because the logic and legality behind selling a licensed instance of an IP is clear and no different in software than it is with physical goods.

I also hope the California law spreads to the rest of the USA and also to other countries.

Last edited:
The original post actually explicitly talks about Windows 10, Outlook, and features being added to them. Go reread it before you try to call someone out like that.

And I have plenty of reason to hate Windows 10. I'm not criticising it without eating the dog food. I suck it down, and I know it's trash.

You should really concentrate on the topic at hand and not going out of your way to bash something not even in the OP. We get it, you hate Windows 10, move on.

Too late Microsoft . . . too late.

Not too late at all but, I am not convinced of this. However, they were able to turn the Xbox around so perhaps they can do this with other things. However, the fact is, you have to use the Microsoft Launcher to use the Your Phone app and I do not want to use their launcher, or any launcher other than what came with my Essential Phone.

Nah, we already knew where this thread was going before it even got started. (No Linux posting yet but, give it a few more posts and everything should be complete.) :D

"Microsoft's core value proposition is productivity, he said. The company's job is to try to make productivity more sexy."

MS is brining sexy back! Because when I think of sexy, I think of Outlook and Powerpoint slides. Not, you know actual control of my computer's operating system. Maybe a non convoluted way to get into safe mode to fix MS's (or users) screwups? Nah.

Wait, does this mean they're bringing Aero back to the UI? That might actually be an improvement.

Admitting it has tarnished its image with consumers, Microsoft has announced a plan to win people back with a cross-platform apps and services initiative dubbed “Modern Life Services.” Apparently, the company will try to attract the attention of “professional consumers" with new Windows, Outlook, and PowerPoint features that will “make productivity more sexy.”

One example: The Microsoft"Your Phone" app, which Microsoft execs first showed off at the Build 2018 developer conference earlier this year. Your Phone on Windows 10 will allow users to respond to text messages on their Windows desktops, as well as drag and drop photos from their desktops and send them via their phones without actually having to access the phones.
"Win back"

Fake news.

Their phone app sounds suspiciously like Blackberry Blend, which could do the same things. It didn't help them, either.

one of my biggest issues with "productivity" is windows updates. Sometimes i need to reboot for what ever reason, but dont want to then wait for updates that may have downloaded.

Apparently, the company will try to attract the attention of “professional consumers" with new Windows, Outlook, and PowerPoint features that will “make productivity more sexy.”

I don't..... I don't even know dafuq this is supposed to mean. Opening Excel is like sex! I need a word for Word....oh, I know! Viagra! Christ, is it too late to get Ballmer back?

If Microsoft wants to win me over, all they need to do is stop dumping shit into my start menu, and forcing me to restart my PC for updates. Simple as that. I don't like being treated like a fucktard. Kinda pisses me off.

Still waiting on layups like O365 keeping my outlook sig and settings in the cloud or cortana being able to tell me what time the sun sets instead of barfing up an internet explorer search.

What I REALLY want, is for my OS and office applications to be a lot more sexy! I've been saying this for years!! Finally, they listened! :p

Is Cortana going to strip for us now?

While I will use Windows 7 till I simply cannot anymore, as far as Microsoft winning me "back," that would take a lot of free maxed out hardware and truly unlimited 4G service with every device they'd be giving me for free. :)

A Surface Studio setup maxed out for me and one for the wife, maxed out Surface Books, maxed out Surface Pro devices, and so on and so forth.

What's that, it's not going to happen you say, Microsoft?

Neither will getting me back, what a coincidence. :p

While I will use Windows 7 till I simply cannot anymore, as far as Microsoft winning me "back," that would take a lot of free maxed out hardware and truly unlimited 4G service with every device they'd be giving me for free. :)

A Surface Studio setup maxed out for me and one for the wife, maxed out Surface Books, maxed out Surface Pro devices, and so on and so forth.

What's that, it's not going to happen you say, Microsoft?

Neither will getting me back, what a coincidence. :p

:D

I would LOVE to be able to jump to another OS. Linux for example. Unfortunately, unless at least 99% of my Steam and GOG libraries are compatible (which they aren't) that's not going to happen. I'm kinda stuck. I've got 323 games in Steam, and another 70 or so on GOG. Gaming isn't my primary hobby these days, (though still a definite hobby for me) but that's too large an investment for me to ignore. I gave SteamOS a try on a secondary box a while back. It wasn't too bad, and I was actually surprised by how many of my games DID work on it. Still not good enough though. Maybe some day.

:D

I would LOVE to be able to jump to another OS. Linux for example. Unfortunately, unless at least 99% of my Steam and GOG libraries are compatible (which they aren't) that's not going to happen. I'm kinda stuck. I've got 323 games in Steam, and another 70 or so on GOG. Gaming isn't my primary hobby these days, (though still a definite hobby for me) but that's too large an investment for me to ignore. I gave SteamOS a try on a secondary box a while back. It wasn't too bad, and I was actually surprised by how many of my games DID work on it. Still not good enough though. Maybe some day.

I'll go full time Linux when I don't have to jump theough hoops to run a non native game. Or a native game doesn't run like ass (looking at you War Thunder).

I think the biggest turn off for most people is that Linux doesn't have the simplicity in some aspects that Windows does. Simply install, and run. No messing with driver versions or libraries or scripts that gets one game to work and breaks another.

I like Linux but I limit it to my laptops and firewall (Pfsense.. So BSD I guess). I don't care for Win10 to much but, I'll admit I've been using LTSB and it just simply works (after the Make Win10 Great Again script of course).

I want my OS to work and do what I need and for me thats Linux for "mobile" and Windows for "desktop".

I'll go full time Linux when I don't have to jump theough hoops to run a non native game. Or a native game doesn't run like ass (looking at you War Thunder).

I think the biggest turn off for most people is that Linux doesn't have the simplicity in some aspects that Windows does. Simply install, and run. No messing with driver versions or libraries or scripts that gets one game to work and breaks another.

I like Linux but I limit it to my laptops and firewall (Pfsense.. So BSD I guess). I don't care for Win10 to much but, I'll admit I've been using LTSB and it just simply works (after the Make Win10 Great Again script of course).

Agreed.

I actually don't mind Windows 10 as an OS. It's been absolutely flawless for me as far as stability and overall function. I just don't like how intrusive MS has gotten with it. Also the way they phrase their requests for reboots makes me want to choke them. "Let's check this off your list." Sorry to disappoint you MS, but you weren't on my "list" to begin with. I'll update when I feel like it. Except I can't now. That's really my biggest complaint. The next is how badly they keep trying to push using a Live ID for Windows login. Umm, no thanks!

Agreed.

I actually don't mind Windows 10 as an OS. It's been absolutely flawless for me as far as stability and overall function. I just don't like how intrusive MS has gotten with it. Also the way they phrase their requests for reboots makes me want to choke them. "Let's check this off your list." Sorry to disappoint you MS, but you weren't on my "list" to begin with. I'll update when I feel like it. Except I can't now. That's really my biggest complaint. The next is how badly they keep trying to push using a Live ID for Windows login. Umm, no thanks!

Precisely why I "procured" LTSB. Basically none of the bullshit.

I don't need Cortana or Skype or the App Store. I want my OS to be an OS. I've read people on reddit saying "you're missing out on features!".... Stop telling me what I need. If I decide I need them then I'll make that decision on my own.

I know this is off topic but, seems the "hive mind" has gotten worse in the last few years.

I'd just like to see them make all those windows stores apps cross platform. OK really what I want is that Amazon Prime Video app on the XBone to work on Windows 10. I don't have a beef with the OS, but I thought the entire point of consolidating on 10 across all platforms was that essentially you write an app for Windows 10 and it works on all their platforms.

I'd just like to see them make all those windows stores apps cross platform. OK really what I want is that Amazon Prime Video app on the XBone to work on Windows 10. I don't have a beef with the OS, but I thought the entire point of consolidating on 10 across all platforms was that essentially you write an app for Windows 10 and it works on all their platforms.

That's how they presented it initially. I don't think they're succeeding though. I also don't really mind that they require a Live ID for their store. However, when I tried it out to get the Windows 10 version of Minecraft for my daughter to try out, it forced me to use the Live ID to log into Windows too, which is crossing the line for me. I immediately swapped it back to normal login, deleted the Win 10 Minecraft, and reinstalled the java version for her. I definitely will not be forced to log into my OS a certain way. (meaning credentials that I'd use online) That's just asinine.

Precisely why I "procured" LTSB. Basically none of the bullshit.

I don't need Cortana or Skype or the App Store. I want my OS to be an OS. I've read people on reddit saying "you're missing out on features!".... Stop telling me what I need. If I decide I need them then I'll make that decision on my own.

I know this is off topic but, seems the "hive mind" has gotten worse in the last few years.
Yeah, if they want to win anything back, giving people options would be a good first start.

I would like my OS to do what I want. Too much to ask?

Back