Microsoft finally reveals what data Windows 10 collects from your PC

Wasn't me!

I was quite surprised to see MS response though. Definitely not good.
You're surprised Microsoft wouldn't own up to their data collection ignoring group policies and leaking data anyway, even on Enterprise? Its been pretty apparent.

It'll be comedy if they try the "it's a bug" defense, since it'll continue the unbroken streak of a very distinct pattern whenever MS has been forced into a backtrack with Windows 10: their "bugs" ALWAYS fall in Microsoft's favor, never the user's.

Windows 10 installed over Windows 7 without your permission? "Oops, sorry, it's a bug". Major updates revert all your privacy and telemetry settings back MS defaults, and make the awful store apps and Edge browser default again? "Oops, sorry." Red X starts the Windows 10 installation instead of closing the pop-up nag? "Oops sorry, it's a bug. Okay it's not a bug, maybe we went too far but now millions have flocked to the best Windows evarrr!"

They seem intent on destroying user trust at every opportunity. If they piss off Enterprise they're done.

Last edited:
You're surprised Microsoft wouldn't own up to their data collection ignoring group policies and leaking data anyway, even on Enterprise? Its been pretty apparent.

Do you think that enterprises are installing Windows 10 don't have a team of experts that have looked into this and worked with Microsoft? As a bank, do you think the love of Windows or trusting Microsoft is how it works?

Do you think that enterprises are installing Windows 10 don't have a team of experts that have looked into this and worked with Microsoft? As a bank, do you think the love of Windows or trusting Microsoft is how it works?
Do you think MS would expose group policies to appease corporations concerns that do absolutely NOTHING

It'll be comedy if they try the "it's a bug" defense, since it'll continue the unbroken streak of a very distinct pattern whenever MS has been forced into a backtrack with Windows 10: their "bugs" ALWAYS fall in Microsoft's favor, never the user's.

Windows 10 installed over Windows 7 without your permission? "Oops, sorry, it's a bug". Major updates revert all your privacy and telemetry settings back MS defaults, and make the awful store apps and Edge browser default again? "Oops, sorry." Red X starts the Windows 10 installation instead of closing the pop-up nag? "Oops sorry, it's a bug. Okay it's not a bug, maybe we went too far but now millions have flocked to the best Windows evarrr!"

They seem intent on destroying user trust at every opportunity. If they piss off Enterprise they're done.

Office 365 online doesn't work under Linux, but works fine if you trick it into thinking it's running under Windows....Opps, it's a bug....:rolleyes:

I just think the so called team of experts are all overpaid monkeys.

Do you think MS would expose group policies to appease corporations concerns that do absolutely NOTHING

I don't see what the point would be. Because we like other places that can't afford to have data leak test this stuff thoroughly. But hey, one guy on the internet with no stake in it playing around with things that he admitted he didn't fully understand, because it's anti-Microsoft he's got to be correct about it all.

But hey, one guy on the internet with no stake in it playing around with things that he admitted he didn't fully understand, because it's anti-Microsoft he's got to be correct about it all.

Oh the irony here, as "One (ANON) guy on the internet" - who claims to work at some mythical bank but works at McDonald's for all we know - trying to marginalize the observations of an independent security analyst as "one guy on the internet" who, because he's not pro-Microsoft has got to be wrong about it all. What a load of b.s.

Every time uncomfortable questions get raised about Windows 10 - and MS ends up getting caught with its pants down doing something user-hostile that wasn't a bug but there by design all along - we seem to have to go through this cycle with the shills: Deny -> Deny -> Move Goalposts -> Find New Excuse / "I never said Microsoft was perfect".

What is apparent is that Mark Burnett doesn't have any ax to grind, he's just trying to figure out why Windows 10 leaks so much data even on Enterprise edition with telemetry supposedly minimized. He's going a lot further with process and traffic analysis than I suspect many companies are, whose IT departments just blindly follow Microsoft-supplied guides and call it a day without actually verifying/testing.

Last edited:
Oh the irony here, as "One (ANON) guy on the internet" - who claims to work at some mythical bank but works at McDonald's for all we know

You don't have to take my word for it, the list of large organizations moving to Windows 10 is well known, from the DoD to major banks.

Oh the irony here, as "One (ANON) guy on the internet" - who claims to work at some mythical bank but works at McDonald's for all we know - trying to marginalize the observations of an independent security analyst as "one guy on the internet" who, because he's not pro-Microsoft has got to be wrong about it all. What a load of b.s.

Every time uncomfortable questions get raised about Windows 10 - and MS ends up getting caught with its pants down doing something user-hostile that wasn't a bug but there by design all along - we seem to have to go through this cycle with the shills: Deny -> Deny -> Move Goalposts -> Find New Excuse / "I never said Microsoft was perfect".

What is apparent is that Mark Burnett doesn't have any ax to grind, he's just trying to figure out why Windows 10 leaks so much data even on Enterprise edition with telemetry supposedly minimized. He's going a lot further with process and traffic analysis than I suspect many companies are, whose IT departments just blindly follow Microsoft-supplied guides and call it a day without actually verifying/testing.

Or, it really is as Heatless says and you are not willing to see that possibility? *Shrug* No skin off my back, believe it or do not, does not change my life one iota. :)

You don't have to take my word for it, the list of large organizations moving to Windows 10 is well known, from the DoD to major banks.
Oh well that makes it completely safe, fine, and dandy! No large corporations have EVER been wrong, done wrong, or fucked up!

Move along people, nothing to see here, brainlesssun and ManofFantasy said so!

Oh well that makes it completely safe, fine, and dandy! No large corporations have EVER been wrong, done wrong, or fucked up!

Shills are gonna shill. Unfortunately the fantasyland where ”banks and the DoD are flocking to 10!" doesn't align with reality, as for yet another month Windows 10 growth remained basically stalled while Windows 7 grew. Even Steam showed Windows 10 lose and Windows 7 gain in May.

We're now 2 years into Windows 10, and Windows 7 marketshare is still increasing. That's a disaster.

Windows 10 should be growing at several percent per month if it's as amazing as the fans insist it is. It's not. Windows 10 is not making any more headway since the GWX fiasco.

This wasn't the time for MS to be controversial or polarizing. The forced, OS level telemetry with no opt-out, forced updates, OS level advertisements, and loss of user trust after GWX are costing them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nenu
like this

Good call, you saw right through me! LOL Thankfully, truth does not change because a man on the internet says so, LOL. Oh look, the obligatory Windows 10 is a disaster comment, LOL!

LOL! It's seems you and others think companies with a whole lot to loose just trust Microsoft and never tested or ran pilots on their own. Yeah, that's not how it works a lot of places.

LOL! It's seems you and others think companies with a whole lot to loose just trust Microsoft and never tested or ran pilots on their own. Yeah, that's not how it works a lot of places.

Grammar Nazi disapproves. You lose credibility when you do these things.

Back