Microsoft Confirms DirectX 11.2 is a Windows 8.1, Xbox One Exclusive

HAHHAHAHAHAAH, for fuck sakes really? This is the big thing about DX11.2, texture swapping?

The #1 killer of framerates in computer gaming is now a -FEATURE-?

Jesus christ microsoft, stop drinking the Xbone koolaid

Before going on a rant about something you might want to get an education on it. This is one of many 11.2 features and doesn't work anything like what you're upset about.

Here are the details on preliminary 11.2 features :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/bg182880.aspx

Yep... that's much like saying "screw driving because they put a speed limit on the road, I'm going to walk!" :p

Actually, switching to Linux is like like having a jet pack, and abandoning cars (Microsoft) and having to use their proprietary DX API (roads).
Cya, bitches! :D

Rocketeer.jpg

iIf you switch to Linux for gaming, you're gonna have a bad time. Drivers suck, game support sucks, peripheral support sucks.

It is a start.
Who would of thought Android was going to be a "gaming OS?"

Light weight yes; but Android is linux remember.

Developers are taking linux very seriously now.

HAHHAHAHAHAAH, for fuck sakes really? This is the big thing about DX11.2, texture swapping?

The #1 killer of framerates in computer gaming is now a -FEATURE-?

Jesus christ microsoft, stop drinking the Xbone koolaid

DDR4 is coming to the desktop next year... ;).

^ This ^. This only makes me want to avoid Windows 8 and the Xbox even more.

Other than games, there really is not a compelling reason to use windows.

It is a start.

Android is not Linux, it's merely based on the ARM port of the Linux kernel. The front-end stuff is completely different (java based)

Saying that Android is the same as Linux is like saying that Mac OSX is the same as FreeBSD. Just because they share a kernel doesn't make them the same OS (especially when they are written for different CPUs)

It is a start.

The PS4 will do more for Linux games than Android ever will, that thing is just a tweaked PC with custom Unix guts running it.

Nice to see that MS hasn't lost touch with the average consumer. With the coming onslaught of DX11.2 titles for the PC (everything will be made for an operating system which no one wants to use because that will bring in al the big bucks).

Android is not Linux, it's merely based on the ARM port of the Linux kernel. The front-end stuff is completely different (java based)

Saying that Android is the same as Linux is like saying that Mac OSX is the same as FreeBSD. Just because they share a kernel doesn't make them the same OS (especially when they are written for different CPUs)

It most certainly is. Linux IS the kernel. When people say Linux that's what they are talking about. Not the display manager, GUI, etc.

so what does ps4 use exactly as far as direct x, and what does this mean as far as the potential performance difference between the two?
PS3's graphics API is a tweaked OpenGL.

The PS3 is designed to share ram between "video" and "system" use. and that ram is GDDR5, so it will do it faster than Xbox or a current PC, as a rule.

Additionally, they got rid of the major wait states and cache clearing that normally has to happen, for the system and the GPU to talk to each other. So bandwidth is maximized and internal latency is greatly reduced.

It most certainly is. Linux IS the kernel. When people say Linux that's what they are talking about. Not the display manager, GUI, etc.

Exactly.
Linux is the kernel, not the OS in its entirety.

They are, however, both distinguished by their names, Droid/Linux and GNU/Linux, but in the end, they are both Linux, no matter how you look at it or what CPU ISA they are compiled for.

Someone will make it work in Win 7 anyhow. So, Don't care really. Also there is the fact that most games likely won't even support it for years.

Pretty sure all the xbone games will support it on release day.

I wonder how the publishers will respond to this. I'm curious if they'll release "windows 8 only" pc games like they had those "vista only" games in the past.

I'm even more curious to see how well they'll do.

This is really lame but expected. Given how long DX10 took to become standard, it will be at least 5 years before games refuse to run on my Windows 7 box.

Doesn't bother me at all. It's like complaining about DirectX 8.1 only being available for Windows XP and not Windows 95.

Windows 7 is going to be a 4 year old OS by the time Windows 8.1 hits the market.

More reason to adopt linux.

Yep, or at very least, OpenGL and other such engines. Also, why do devs feel they HAVE to code against the highest direct X version anyway? Why not target directX 9 or so that way games work in more OSes?

MS has been known to do this though. I remember when they purposely made Halo 2 for PC use a version of direct X that requires Windows Vista, so they force people to upgrade if they want to play the game. Speaking of which, did that ever end up getting released? I never really heard about it from that point.

Also, why do devs feel they HAVE to code against the highest direct X version anyway? Why not target directX 9 or so that way games work in more OSes?

Clearly you haven't been paying attention for the past 8 years :p, coding to anything other than DX9 has been the exception not the rule. DX11 support is important due to the leaps in programmable shader architecture in SM 5.0 over what is possible in SM 3.0, hell DX9 doesn't even support unified shaders which even the custom DX used on the 360 supports.

^ It's called OpenGL.
You know, there are other APIs out there besides DX. ;)

^ It's called OpenGL.
You know, there are other APIs out there besides DX. ;)

Oh for sure using OpenGL is totally viable, one can easily see a world where everything is ported from PS4 instead of Xbox.

And so you fly to the moon, except when you get there you realize it's a really exclusive club, only a handful of people showed up and none of them brought beer.

Except for Gabe, he brought Bud Lights.

It is a start.

The problem is that Linux gaming has had a lot of "It's a starts". It never moves beyond a start because it's a massive catch-22. Mainstream game developers barely want to put effort into a WINDOWS port, let alone a Linux port. Android doesn't mean much in this context because it's running on different hardware in its own software ecosystem.

Lots of indie games and older titles have been playable on Linux for over a decade and it hasn't helped adoption as a gaming OS.

If you can't play every Steam game that is released on Linux flawlessly on day 1, people will stay with Windows. No one wants to inconvenience themselves just to spite Microsoft. It's like those gaming boycotts where everyone rages and rages but then the game comes out and they play it anyway because at the end of the day they aren't willing to trade their short-term fun for a long-term benefit.

And so you fly to the moon, except when you get there you realize it's a really exclusive club, only a handful of people showed up and none of them brought beer.

But it's exclusive.
That's all I need for the l33t sp34k.

:p

There's no reason why it couldn't run on Windows 7. I guess Microsoft is just being an asshole again here.

So what. Another incrimental update to something they only care about because the XBox uses it. If not for that, I'm sure Microsoft would've stopped developing for it completely.

So what. Another incrimental update to something they only care about because the XBox uses it. If not for that, I'm sure Microsoft would've stopped developing for it completely.

Huh? Microsoft has been updating DX independent of the Xbox all along.

Since the orignal XBox was released, they've gone from 8.x to 11.x... or three major revisions.

From 1995-2001 there were six major revisions (DX 4.x was never released); that's a six year span. From 2001-2013, there have been, as I said, three major revisions; that's a TWELVE year span.

So, half the number of major revisions in twice the amount of time, the change in pace just happened to coincide Microsoft releasing their own gaming console...

So, half the number of major revisions in twice the amount of time, the change in pace just happened to coincide Microsoft releasing their own gaming console...

Bet you like all the Firefox "major revisions", too.

Just like they made DX10 work on XP ::rolleyes:
It's not out of the question, but 8.1 implements yet another new WDDM, so it's unlikely.

The Linux Foundation seems to think that it's Linux.

Yep, or at very least, OpenGL and other such engines. Also, why do devs feel they HAVE to code against the highest direct X version anyway? Why not target directX 9 or so that way games work in more OSes?
Due to inefficiencies in the API, very few developers should write D3D9 renderers.

Pretty sure DirectX existed before the Xbox too. ;)
The Xbox was named after DirectX, in fact (or at least allegedly).

Back