Microsoft Announces Microsoft Defender ATP for Mac

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Microsoft Defender ATP for Mac brings the same robust protection from Windows Defender to the Mac platform. Microsoft has created a "cross-platform next-generation protection and endpoint detection and response coverage" heterogeneous solution that will help Microsoft reach its goal of securing users and data wherever they are. Core components of Microsoft's unified endpoint security platform, including the new Threat & Vulnerability Management will now be available for Mac devices. The cloud-delivered, real-time protection antivirus solution is currently in preview.

We've been working closely with industry partners to enable Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) customers to protect their non-Windows devices while keeping a centralized "single pane of glass" experience. Now we are going a step further by adding our own solution to the options, starting with a limited preview today. As we bring our unified security solution to other platforms, we're also updating our name to reflect the breadth of this expanded coverage: Microsoft Defender ATP.

I have this service for our offices and the the DNS protection is saved my ass more than once. It works as well as any other services out there so it coming to Mac is a pretty good thing. I’m gonna have to call my rep and see how it works into my existing g licensing.

I have this service for our offices and the the DNS protection is saved my ass more than once. It works as well as any other services out there so it coming to Mac is a pretty good thing. I’m gonna have to call my rep and see how it works into my existing g licensing.

What product is that? I don't see DNS protection in the ATP overview...

Great, so now my Macs can spam me about not being signed into OneDrive "for backups" as a security risk, just like my Windows PC does? Pass.

I have this service for our offices and the the DNS protection is saved my ass more than once

Does it block watson.microsoft.com like my pihole does? Because I run 90% of my time on macOS, iOS and Playstation, yet my Windows development PC and XBonX generate the single highest number in the blocked domain list, despite rarely using them.

What product is that? I don't see DNS protection in the ATP overview...
It’s part of the server package, it monitors all network traffic and identifies various DNS injection attacks and such. I now have it on all my AD/DNS servers.

It’s part of the server package, it monitors all network traffic and identifies various DNS injection attacks and such. I now have it on all my AD/DNS servers.
how long you been using it and whats cost like?

Great, so now my Macs can spam me about not being signed into OneDrive "for backups" as a security risk, just like my Windows PC does? Pass.

Does it block watson.microsoft.com like my pihole does? Because I run 90% of my time on macOS, iOS and Playstation, yet my Windows development PC and XBonX generate the single highest number in the blocked domain list, despite rarely using them.
I can’t say it does, most of our blocking happens on the Palo Alto side before it even gets inside the buildings. But the worst I have seen is it incorrectly flagging and blocking sites that run crypto mining scripts (regardless of the sites ability to disable them) and displaying an error about the page containing a Trojan.

how long you been using it and whats cost like?
On Year 2, mine is purchased through government procurement so I can’t really say what the end user pricing is. But they are probably bundling it with the O365 stuff and that changes based on the number of users licensed.

But the worst I have seen is it incorrectly flagging and blocking sites that run crypto mining scripts (regardless of the sites ability to disable them) and displaying an error about the page containing a Trojan.
isn't that good though? you dont need a site mining on your office systems.

isn't that good though? you dont need a site mining on your office systems.
It is, I’m not complaining but having a shit load of support tickets from people convinced they now have Trojans, then looking for them only to later find out it was a crypto mining site block is a little frustrating.

On Year 2, mine is purchased through government procurement so I can’t really say what the end user pricing is. But they are probably bundling it with the O365 stuff and that changes based on the number of users licensed.
huh. I had no idea about this ATP thing. I work in the Ed. system here and we have a mix of mac/pcs with O365 and we'll be in need of new AV in the fall. maybe I should mention looking into this for our mac side of things, defender works just fine on our pcs.

It is, I’m not complaining but having a shit load of support tickets from people convinced they now have Trojans, then looking for them only to later find out it was a crypto mining site block is a little frustrating.
lol I can see that. so it just need some adjustment to how it notifies the user so they dont panic.

huh. I had no idea about this ATP thing. I work in the Ed. system here and we have a mix of mac/pcs with O365 and we'll be in need of new AV in the fall. maybe I should mention looking into this for our mac side of things, defender works just fine on our pcs.

lol I can see that. so it just need some adjustment to how it notifies the user so they dont panic.
Ask your rep about the A5 licensing and the server end point protection. I’ve been getting mine through PCM Canada (formerly Softchoice).

But Mac’s need it more, a few of my administrators use Mac’s and they click shit like crazy thinking their invincible, and no amount of information will convince them otherwise.

Ask your rep about the A5 licensing and the server end point protection. I’ve been getting mine through PCM Canada (formerly Softchoice).

But Mac’s need it more, a few of my administrators use Mac’s and they click shit like crazy thinking their invincible, and no amount of information will convince them otherwise.
cool thanks. all our teachers are on macs and they need something, this could simplify things.

Never seen a virus on a Mac, the only virus I see regulary is Microshaft.

What if I WANT to use a site that will mine with my PC? Maybe I think its an appropriate cost for viewing anime cat girls peeing on each other, whatever. can i still watch my cat girls?

Lies. All lies. Macs never get viruses. You're using it wrong.

I remember the TV ads for Mac, they were very smart in their ads, they never said Macs couldn't get a virus (from what I remember) they said Macs couldn't get Windows viruses. Which is a really nice play on words most people wouldn't catch or understand. Also back then their market share didn't even really exist, so who is going to waste time writing a virus or exploit for a 0.01% market when for the same effort you can target 99% of the market. Things have changed however now with more market share, as well as mobile space.

The whole reason I bought a Mac was to get rid of the M$ crapware.. bad enough I have to use Microsoft Office, Skype, and Teams for my Job. No way I install this.

I have. Several times in the last year. And they are quite more difficult to remove than most Windows malware these days.

mac have more virus/malware isntallations then windows used (Adjusted for popularity) in my experience.
Seems like mac users like to live in the "macs cant get virus" denial and just dont do any proper protection

Same robust protection. ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah mwuhahahahahahahaha
Oh my side.......
Microsoft Defender ATP for Mac brings the same robust protection from Windows Defender to the Mac platform. Microsoft has created a "cross-platform next-generation protection and endpoint detection and response coverage" heterogeneous solution that will help Microsoft reach its goal of securing users and data wherever they are. Core components of Microsoft's unified endpoint security platform, including the new Threat & Vulnerability Management will now be available for Mac devices. The cloud-delivered, real-time protection antivirus solution is currently in preview.

We've been working closely with industry partners to enable Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) customers to protect their non-Windows devices while keeping a centralized "single pane of glass" experience. Now we are going a step further by adding our own solution to the options, starting with a limited preview today. As we bring our unified security solution to other platforms, we're also updating our name to reflect the breadth of this expanded coverage: Microsoft Defender ATP.

Then your aren't using Mac's enough.
They are far from immune.
It's the attitude that they never get infected, helps get them infected

I fail to see how since you cant install anything without root perms and newer versions wont even let you install outside the app store without a few hoops.

I fail to see how since you cant install anything without root perms and newer versions wont even let you install outside the app store without a few hoops.
“Viruses” are no longer things that really install, I. The case of mac’s they piggy back on legit things you want, corrupted VLC installs, and browser add-ones. Some don’t even install they camp and run in memory using safari exploits, most Mac users have everything open all at once, they never shutdown apps and when they reboot they almost always check “relaunch applications” on rebooting. So it’s just there scraping data until somebody does a full reboot or shutdown with out checking that reboot option. Virus in this case is a misnomer, but I am impressed on how it works. It looks for behaviour and traffic patterns to identify the bad stuff, AV signatures are useless now.

Probably is. You just don't know right now, so ignorance of flaws is bliss.
This is hilarious - I have seen malware on OS X, iOS, GNU/Linux, Droid/Linux - in fact, I think the only OS I haven't seen with it, not that they are invulnerable or anything, would be the BSD-based OSes.
Malware is not just limited to Windows, much to their ignorance - agreed!

I've used Windows Defender in the past and it ended up costing me big time. I don't trust Microsoft to protect it's own OS, why would I trust to protect some else's? Sophos for the win thank you!

Lies. All lies. Macs never get viruses. You're using it wrong.
The reason is and has always been Macs don't get many viruses because the bundled software inside the OS (like browser, picture viewer, media player) was adequate that Mac users don't usually install tons of crap. Now that Windows has half way decent stuff baked in, people are probably experiencing fewer viruses on Windows too.

Back