Microcenter: i5 2500k - $149.99 Instant

Boo hum bug. Why wasn't this around when I was visiting my parents last weekend?! I'd almost bet this will be an ongoing promotion. The $80 off 2600k and z68 motherboard combo was originally a 2 day special.

Hmm... was going to wait until Ivy to upgrade the C2Q, but I should be able to get $150 for the 790i and Q9450.... that would make it a $100 or so upgrade. I'm thinking I'll take the wife out to the city tomorrow and oh while I'm there stumble upon this deal. :)

Hmm... was going to wait until Ivy to upgrade the C2Q, but I should be able to get $150 for the 790i and Q9450.... that would make it a $100 or so upgrade. I'm thinking I'll take the wife out to the city tomorrow and oh while I'm there stumble upon this deal. :)

Deal will be gone by tomorrow. Take your wife out NOW!

compared to an i5-760 @ 4ghz what is the gaming difference between the 2? or is ivy bridge the real upgrade path i should c hoose

Well, granted I have an i7-2600k and it was at 4.7ghz for the tests compared to 4.3ghz on the i5-750 but I gained 500 points on 3dmark11 and about 15 FPS in BF:BC2 just by upgrading the CPU.

There will be very little gaming difference between an overclocked lynnfield and sandy bridge

Yeah, I have a friend maxing out BF3 with an Opty 165 at 2.6Ghz with a 6950.

My local MC is out of stock, any kind soul wanna buy one & ship it to me? I'l paypal you & throw in $20 for gas. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Wow lol. The MC in Central Chicago has 47 in stock, they just received a shipment of 25 today. :eek:

The combo with the $40 off the mobo doesn't work. At least not for me with the Chicago area stores. There is no $40 off when adding supposedly qualifying Z68 mobos to the cart. The price on the 2500K is a great deal though. The $15 in tax (bringing the total to $165) hurts but that is still a heck of alot better than $180 + tax obviously.

i dont understand, its a net $15.....it cost that much to go pick up

i dont understand, its a net $15.....it cost that much to go pick up

$180 + tax. The "regular price" for a 2500K at Microcenter (the least expensive place to buy I think) is $179.99, no? Or in other words and to be more specific, $179.99 + $17.54 = $197.53.

So, $164.61 vs. ~$197.53 or a net $33 difference.

got it with the cheap MSI board for only $19 after the instant $40 off to use on a spare G620 laying around. perfect combo considering the mobo is almost free and the CPU is by far lowest price anywhere. I did online purchase for store pickup so they should honor it for a week with no rush to run to the store.

oh yea, added the linkworld mATX open box case for $12 too, can't really beat that either for the spare cheap G620 build.

just FYI I just called them and they stated it has to be physically picked up today to get the special price. even if you order it online and your reservation says $149, when you get it the next day they will raise the price. they also will not accept payment over the phone.

not very friendly! I also asked if I could pick up 1 for myself and 1 for my brother if he called while I was there to confirm I was picking it up for him and even have him pay with his own credit card and they said no, lol. not finding many loopholes for this deal, the houston store has tons in-stock too. if they were looser I would pick up all 30 of them and sell to forum members at cost.

most retailers dont accept payment over the phone bro, it directly contradicts their policy on verifying identity of a card holder, if they just took any credit card info over the phone from just anyone they would be sued in a hurry. I'm glad they don't do that to be honest otherwise if someone found your lost wallet they could call up Microcenter and order a shit ton of stuff on your card.

Makes my $190 for a used 2500k sound like a horrible deal. Oh well don't have a microcenter within a 1000 miles of me. I bet a lot of these will end up on ebay.

They have to protect themselves. They are likely selling these at a loss. They want you to walk through the store and buy cables and crap to save their margins.

Makes my $190 for a used 2500k sound like a horrible deal. Oh well don't have a microcenter within a 1000 miles of me. I bet a lot of these will end up on ebay.

if you want to loose money then yeah put it on ebay.

The time and gas money alone would be about $15 to go to the store and back. Not to mention time in traffic etc...In addition there would be ebay FVF fees and paypal fees, by the time you are done you would be paying out of pocket.

Great deal! I could sell my 930, X58 and ram and come out with cash in my pocket! Not gonna do it though :)

if you want to loose money then yeah put it on ebay.

The time and gas money alone would be about $15 to go to the store and back. Not to mention time in traffic etc...In addition there would be ebay FVF fees and paypal fees, by the time you are done you would be paying out of pocket.

At loss? Yeah right, you could easily make about $30-35 per chip. They are going for about $200 on ebay right now.

Just came here to post this. I was planning on going to Microcenter next week because their 2500K was $180 (compared to $220) on newegg. BUT $150? OMFG :D:D:D

Too bad all their motherboards kinda suck though. Or are overpriced.

Last edited:
At loss? Yeah right, you could easily make about $30-35 per chip. They are going for about $200 on ebay right now.

Looks like you have either never sold anything on ebay or are plain dumb and stupid.:eek:

Chip at Microcenter 149.99 + 8% tax = $161.98 +$15 in gas = $176.98 (This does not include the time it would take you to drive back n forth to the store)

Assuming, you post it on ebay for $200 (Buy it now) You would have $21.20 in ebay+paypal fees

If you do the math $200-$21.20 = $178.80 NET it what you would get after ebay+Paypal fees.

So $178.80- $176.98 = $1.82

Now...Is it worth all this trouble for a measly $1.82 :rolleyes: (That's what i thought so too)

Looks like you have either never sold anything on ebay or are plain dumb and stupid.:eek:

Chip at Microcenter 149.99 + 8% tax = $161.98 +$15 in gas = $176.98 (This does not include the time it would take you to drive back n forth to the store)

Assuming, you post it on ebay for $200 (Buy it now) You would have $21.20 in ebay+paypal fees

If you do the math $200-$21.20 = $178.80 NET it what you would get after ebay+Paypal fees.

So $178.80- $176.98 = $1.82

Now...Is it worth all this trouble for a measly $1.82 :rolleyes: (That's what i thought so too)

Wow.. your logic make so much since. I guess I am a complete moron.

First of all there are probably locations in states that do not have sales tax. And I am sure there are plenty of people that it would not cost $15 to get there and back. More like $3 round trip if you live close and don't have a gas guzzler. Plus if you bring a couple people with you or are lucky enough to be sold more than one per visit. Then you could actually make lots of money.

But since you seem so stubborn that its bad idea.

YOUR RIGHT, I AM WRONG :rolleyes:

First of all there are probably locations in states that do not have sales tax. And I am sure there are plenty of people that it would not cost $15 to get there and back. More like $3 round trip if you live close and don't have a gas guzzler. Plus if you bring a couple people with you or are lucky enough to be sold more than one per visit. Then you could actually make lots of money.

I think there is only one Microcenter where you would not pay sales tax and I wouldn't count on bringing a couple of people with me and me keeping all the profits or at least buying them lunch or something :)

Just got back with my shiny new 2500K and 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR-1600 :) Gonna have to order a mobo on newegg though.

Well look at it this way. Even if the gas is free and there's no sales tax (only 5 of 50 states have no sales tax), you will be making $25-30, for 1-2 hours work minimum (between driving there, picking it out, ringing it up, driving home, listing on ebay, packaging, and shipping). $25/hr is a good wage, but it's only 1 hour of work, and this is assuming an ideal situation of free gas and no sales tax.

Why would the people you bring with you not sell the CPU for themselves?

Was able to get my 2500k today but from Frys though. Got them to match MC's price.

AFAIK, all B&M stores have a sales tax. At least Im pretty sure all the ones with a MC do. Also you are forgetting shipping fees.

So, $150 + tax = $162, + shipping with insurance and confirmation is another $15, = $180ish, then paypal and ebay fees, = no money made, and that does not count for gas or time.

Good news: The wife and I made a day of it, she went shopping in the other stores in the plaza, and I got to spend 2 hours in Microcenter. It was like being able to shop in Newegg! (my first visit) I got the retail box 2500k for $149, a retail box 7200RPM 32MB cache 1TB Seagate for $49 (daily special) . The wife enjoyed me taking her out for the day = win.

Acceptable News: They did not have a mobo $40 off... at least that I thought. I ended up getting the Gigabyte UD3H-B3 Z68 MB for $119. Now, I expected to get it for $80, but when I look at this board, it is easy a good deal at $120 so I'm not worried... that is still a sale price IMO. Dolby HD Audio, eSata, HDMI for the intel GPU, USB3, PCIe 3.0 compliant, fire-wire, o/c's well, etc, etc, that's a good mobo for $120 so I'm okay with that. Now I will say the sticker on the mobo says $175 and in store it was $140, but I showed him where it said online it was $120 and they honored that. The $40 off at the micro-center in KC, MO was for AMD combos. Or perhaps this was a higher version of the Gigabyte I thought I was looking at, I don't know... IMO it's a $175 board. $150 on sale... I got it for $120 so that's okay with me.

Tax was $27.... meh.... total for all three OTD was $347. Newegg was about that price without the 1TB HD, so worst case I look at it like I got a free 7200RPM 1TB drive, which BTW I needed as I'm still using a 250GB WD as my primary drive, so all good now.

So now I am going to tinker and upgrade. Going to try out "Smart Response" with the new 1GB drive and my Intel SSD... will post back when I have it all together.

Looks like you took it personally, i didn't mean it that ways, but since so many people were posting about how good of a deal it is blah blah blah... when you do the math to be honest, it breaks out even. sorry if i offended you.

AFAIK, all B&M stores have a sales tax. At least Im pretty sure all the ones with a MC do. Also you are forgetting shipping fees.

So, $150 + tax = $162, + shipping with insurance and confirmation is another $15, = $180ish, then paypal and ebay fees, = no money made, and that does not count for gas or time.

My point exactly :)

:cool:

Sometimes it just better to order online OR if your local computer sstore does a price match, then your in luck :)

Acceptable News: They did not have a mobo $40 off... at least that I thought. I ended up getting the Gigabyte UD3H-B3 Z68 MB for $119. Now, I expected to get it for $80

The board is $159.99. You got $40 off which makes it $119.99. And a $10 rebate to it, so $109.99 before tax. The $80 off a z68 board is for the i7-2600k.

Looks like you took it personally, i didn't mean it that ways, but since so many people were posting about how good of a deal it is blah blah blah... when you do the math to be honest, it breaks out even. sorry if i offended you.

My point exactly :)

:cool:

Sometimes it just better to order online OR if your local computer sstore does a price match, then your in luck :)

Yeah my microcenter is 40 miles from me which is about $10-15 in gas depending on how I drive from NJ to PA. Couple that with sales tax and unless I'm saving more than $80 or so it's usually not worth killing 2-3 hours out of my day.

Amazon prime makes me lazy too.

It's probably because of the FX-8150 coming out soon....oh wait no, that's March 2012....Great deal there, wish I had a Microcenter Nearby, my Media PC could use the upgrade.

It's probably because of the FX-8150 coming out soon....oh wait no, that's March 2012....Great deal there, wish I had a Microcenter Nearby, my Media PC could use the upgrade.

:confused:

MC already has BD stock, just have to wait till the launch day on the 12th.

Back