Meta Quest 3

Kalston is right, there is a big Trade off in VR when you use OLED. Brightness, motion blur, persistence, mura Manufacturers aren't pushing for MicroOled, they are spending their R&D on Micro LED. That's the future.
I doubt about that R&D being entirely spent on microLED. Small microLED lens are very difficult to produce and very costly. As optimistic as people can be, there's no microLED in VR anytime before 30s when we won't even get affordable microLED TV anytime for the next 4 years.

I on a whim purchased the quest 3 after learning of PianoVision. Coming from the 2 I expected the AR to be a huge leap, but honestly I still find it pretty bad. Think I might return it and keep my Quest 2.

I on a whim purchased the quest 3 after learning of PianoVision. Coming from the 2 I expected the AR to be a huge leap, but honestly I still find it pretty bad. Think I might return it and keep my Quest 2.
What about it isn't a huge leap? The passthrough quality is light years ahead of the Quest 2. Though I suppose that isn't saying much. I could douse my eyes in battery acid and get a better image than Quest 2's passthrough.

So I actually have two of the quest 3s in my house. What are the best games to play together. Only 1 is registered so far. I assume i should create another meta account for this one as opposed to trying to add it to my first account?

I tried one out for a week after x mas and ended up returning it. Mine had some nasty glare on the lens whenever there was a light source in the scene. I am intrigued by vr though. I hope the valve deckard heaset gets released this year.

The irony of the improved lenses of the Q3 vs Q2 is that I now actually notice video compression artifacts even when wired at 500mb/s. It's pretty subtle in all fairness but still 100% noticeable to me on most content if I want to look for it.

OLED would be nice but currently OLED is a big tradeoff in VR. You trade better colors for much worse motion clarity/brightness. And motion clarity in VR is just... a HUGE deal. Some people literally get sick with the OLED panels of the PSVR for example, they need to tune the brightness way down to reduce the motion blur so they end up with a really dim picture (bye bye "HDR"). Bigscreen Beyond has the same issue.

edit: pushed bitrate up to 850 and I don't easily pick up artifacts now. 900 worked too but increased latency a bit, while 850 seems identical to 500 latency wise.
850 on h.264? I bought one of these cables to try wired: https://www.walmart.com/ip/TSV-10ft...led-5Gbps-High-Speed-Data-Transfer/1580804938

Yea I don't know what the exact limit is (not sure if it's the decoder on the Quest or my motherboard or what) but you can input a very high number in the Oculus Debug Tool. 850 for me is exact same latency as 500 or below so seems safe, at 900 latency numbers seem to go up slightly so I stopped there.

Some people on reddit claim to have done that over Wifi too, sounds wild but maybe with 6ghz it's possible. I don't have good wireless atm so didn't look into it too much.

I tried a cable and upped the bitrate with the debug tool to 800, but Flight Simulator looked bad and jerky. (The cable was well rated on Amazon, and is from Kiwi.)
It looks better and plays smoother with Virtual Desktop even though I am not on WiFi 6 yet.
Maybe I am not doing something right.
(Yes 1080Ti is getting old, but wont upgrade till I build a whole new PC.)

I don't know if the 1080 ti video encoder can handle such high bitrates+resolution+framerate though, have you checked the NVENC usage with gpu-z or even good old task manager? It's very likely overloaded.

I don't know if the 1080 ti video encoder can handle such high bitrates+resolution+framerate though, have you checked the NVENC usage with gpu-z or even good old task manager? It's very likely overloaded.
Nope, but will check it out. Just interesting that VD looks better and smoother over WiFi5 then USB-C to USB3 (A) port.

I believe VD uses by H265 by default, it's higher quality when bitrate constrained (so preferred for wireless), but higher latency than H264 too. So yea it would make sense that it looks better. Also VD has some gamma/color correction options which can be subjectively better.

tl;ldr H264 is faster and can look the same or better at very high bitrates but for many people/use cases H265 will be better (also for AMD users - their H265 chip is good like nvidia while their H264 encoder is hot garbage).

Oculus does offer the option to toggle between the two for both wired and wireless (with the Oculus Debug Tool as always), so similar to VD it's pretty easy to test and compare.

Highly recommend Dungeons of Eternity. Been having a blast playing multiplayer with my son. Pretty sure it is a quest exclusive.

Reactions: Liver
like this
If I buy an external USB-C hard drive, will it work on the Quest 3 for watching VR videos from?

Reactions: Liver
like this
If I buy an external USB-C hard drive, will it work on the Quest 3 for watching VR videos from?
It can use USB-C flash drives. Not sure if it outputs enough power to spin up a hard drive on its own. You need to get a video player for the headset that knows what to do with external media, though. (Skybox and 4XVR do. Dunno about others.)

Make sure you get a right-angled cable for the headset-end to avoid oopsies.

Back