Meet the Xbox 360

bonkrowave said:
I think these pictures, be it real or not, show the XBOX 360 to have a very aesthetically pleasing design. As a registered Industrial Designer, I can say that many styling cues are taken from trends currently found in electronic devices, such as laptops, receivers, etc.. The trend in the product design industry is all about minimalism. The design is in line with the design methodology of the XBOX 1 with the hard straight lines, but has its own unique design, through the use of subtle curves, arcs, and radii.

Its not a mistake that the XBOX 360 looks similar to Apple designs, for the simple fact that apple products have been winning industrial design awards for years now. I would think it ignorant to knock the design when it has design cues taken from award winning products. Its clear that this design will use injection molded parts, and a half shell approach. The fact that is symmetrical down the horizontal midline would suggest, it was designed this way so one mould is needed for the top and bottom section as opposed to two. This cuts down on cost dramatically as injection molds are very expensive to produce.

Design is often influenced through the manufacturing techniques, which are used to create the design. A unit such as the XBOX 360 is not going to be full of undercuts, complex lofts and curves, simply for the fact that mass manufacturing products with these type of features will increase the cost of the product.

Just because there are cases, for PC, with samurai or robot faces on them, does not mean these are "good design", and should definitely not be looked at, for design inspiration.

I appreciate good design, but it's a fine line between minimalist and bland, I don't particularly like this design, but then I don't recall ever finding any console aesthetically pleasing.

I remember someone asked why it was curved.

Its for air "flow" when you sit the case flat. This way you don't have to use additional feet.
One less thing to fall off, and one less thing Microsoft has to add to the cost of building a machine.

maybe the arrows on the drive tray secretly move when you push the big on button. HAR!seriously,no one asked me what I thought, they just build them to do two things; run well and long
(long enough to make it to xbox 460) and to make bucks. :D But there are some butt ugly PCs that game like bandits, its whats under thr hood that counts.

I rather like the design.

since it's called the '360', what do you want to bet that they have some red LEDs surrounding the green lit power circle, that will spin around when accessing the optical drive? :)

I really like how it looks....compare it to any other console out there...it's very sexy....ooohhh, nice....seriously, can anyone say they like the dull, lop-sided design of the PS2 better than what this pic of the xbox 360 has to offer? If you can, you must seriously be......well, I don't want to get kicked off the forum, so, anyways, proceed. :D

Hate_Bot said:
Who cares how it looks as long as the games are good.

(It looks awesome btw)
Looks certainly are not everything, but if this thing is going to be sitting in your living room for couple years, it helps if it looks nice.

diehard said:
Looks certainly are not everything, but if this thing is going to be sitting in your living room for couple years, it helps if it looks nice.

Agreed. However, I have never (nor will I ever) buy a console just for the looks. If its
ugly AND the games suck, then I wont buy it :p

PoisonedPawn45 said:
Agreed. However, I have never (nor will I ever) buy a console just for the looks. If its
ugly AND the games suck, then I wont buy it :p

Like the PS2

Hate_Bot said:
Like the PS2
hey hey hey. the ps2 is an awesome console. vast majority of the games on the ps2 are very good, and the ps2 sure looks a heck of a lot better than the xbox....

I like the PS2 and the xbox for different reasons myself. The xbox definately has the nicer graphics, but the PS2 has a lot more rpg games. Plus, the PS2 hides in my entertainment center :) (yes, I have both and I like both).

Madden360 for launch....I am getting it day one. I will paint and modify the look of it, day two. :D

As for how M$ is cooling the 360, probably heatpipes + serious fans, of course you could always cool it yourself the [H] way ;)

Im sure its been asked before, but whats M$ doing to make sure people arent getting extremely cheap Linux workstations this time around?

BTW, I really like the design, it looks nice and sleek, not the most compact design, but its a nice modern look that will fit in with most new entertainment centers, while still being at least somewhat functional for increasing cooling.

ikellensbro said:
As for how M$ is cooling the 360, probably heatpipes + serious fans, of course you could always cool it yourself the [H] way ;)

Im sure its been asked before, but whats M$ doing to make sure people arent getting extremely cheap Linux workstations this time around?

BTW, I really like the design, it looks nice and sleek, not the most compact design, but its a nice modern look that will fit in with most new entertainment centers, while still being at least somewhat functional for increasing cooling.

I think its going to be extremly hard for microsoft this time because suppusably you can transfer content between the xbox and pc.

Michael.R said:
I think its going to be extremly hard for microsoft this time because suppusably you can transfer content between the xbox and pc.

I doubt it would be that hard. Creative modders already do that with the Xbox...I'm sure Microsoft can pull it off too.

WickedAngel said:
I doubt it would be that hard. Creative modders already do that with the Xbox...I'm sure Microsoft can pull it off too.

I think he was saying that it would be hard for MS to STOP hackers from doing as much as they have done with the Xbox.

I don't really care, because I use it play games only.

I see now...*brainfart*

There will never be a way to stop modders...it is impossible. I can't think of a single mainstream program or console that hasn't been hacked in one way or another.

guitarguy316 said:
memory cards and wireless controllers arent cool. recharging a controller all the time would be so stupid its not even funny.

I dont know... cant use more than a wireless mouse, and the one wireless mouse i use gose for like 3 mounths on 2xAA 2300Mha Ni-mH's Mabey there will be a small controller charged docking station (prob have to buy it seprate but it woudl be worth it for wireless...)

Tiny said:
I think he was saying that it would be hard for MS to STOP hackers from doing as much as they have done with the Xbox.

I don't really care, because I use it play games only.

With the exception of Hacking games and copying them, I think microsoft could care less if the Xbox is moded, it voids the worrenty so that less thet have to cover for. And it dosnt matter because you allready bought the Xbox, its not liek you hacking the OS and getting it free... As long as you not geting the games free, what is there to care about.

I(illa Bee said:
With the exception of Hacking games and copying them, I think microsoft could care less if the Xbox is moded, it voids the worrenty so that less thet have to cover for. And it dosnt matter because you allready bought the Xbox, its not liek you hacking the OS and getting it free... As long as you not geting the games free, what is there to care about.

Getting games for free IS what they care about. Hacking the current Xbox enables you to copy all the games you want the a hard drive. So, essentially, you buy the Xbox (which Microsoft loses money on) and then get free games (Which are what Microsoft actually makes money on)...

I(illa Bee said:
I dont know... cant use more than a wireless mouse, and the one wireless mouse i use gose for like 3 mounths on 2xAA 2300Mha Ni-mH's Mabey there will be a small controller charged docking station (prob have to buy it seprate but it woudl be worth it for wireless...)

How often does your mouse vibrate?

'Force-feedback' drains the batteries pretty fast.

I have 'heard' that the Xbox360 controllers will come with wires but be wireless. Doesn't make sense I know, but get this; the wires would only be used to charge the controllers back up. Meaning the cords will only be needed when your controller needs charged.

Another twist.

As someone sort of guessed earlier, apparently the latest rumours say MS wasn't planning on showing a physical Xbox360 console at the MTV thing, just these pictures, and that MS thinks they were leaked by someone at MTV.

Maximus825 said:
Getting games for free IS what they care about. Hacking the current Xbox enables you to copy all the games you want the a hard drive. So, essentially, you buy the Xbox (which Microsoft loses money on) and then get free games (Which are what Microsoft actually makes money on)...

That isn't the only reason that people use the mods. I know quite a few people who upload the games they own to the HDD because the HDD loads them far faster than the disk drive does.

Tiny said:
How often does your mouse vibrate?

'Force-feedback' drains the batteries pretty fast.

I have 'heard' that the Xbox360 controllers will come with wires but be wireless. Doesn't make sense I know, but get this; the wires would only be used to charge the controllers back up. Meaning the cords will only be needed when your controller needs charged.

Hmmm forgot about forcefeenaback..... (personally i dont see the point of force its pretty lame unless its in a raceing wheel)

Mabey they will be powered by Li-on batts? like laptops with a charger? Or mabey an external power so intead of power comming from the consol across the living room floor, comming form the plug ont he wall behind the couch? or a power station of some kind?

WickedAngel said:
That isn't the only reason that people use the mods. I know quite a few people who upload the games they own to the HDD because the HDD loads them far faster than the disk drive does.

Yeah, and they do that with ONLY the games that they own? Right.. ;)

v3rt1g0 said:
Yeah, and they do that with ONLY the games that they own? Right.. ;)

Contrary to what you might believe, modders aren't all thieves.

All of my systems are modded and I don't download pirated games. I used to import often, though.

WickedAngel said:

All of my systems are modded and I don't download pirated games. I used to import often, though.
Uhh...hello....importing IS stealing..... :rolleyes: jeez..........

:p just kidding! you were about to scream, hah? Heh heh! ;)

v3rt1g0 said:
That's EXACTLY what the guy you replied to just said. :rolleyes:

No it's not. He was saying tha modding the Xbox doesn't cost Microsoft a lot of money...

Maximus825 said:
No it's not. He was saying tha modding the Xbox doesn't cost Microsoft a lot of money...

He's saying "MS doesn't care about modders unless people rip games".
You say "Getting games for free IS what they care about".

Wether you realize it or not, you're agreeing with him.

WickedAngel said:

I am not. I use it to play emulated games 100% of the time however I would say that 99% of modders who have the know how are thieves.

I am absolutely sure if Microsoft was so worried about xbox modding they would never have put a hard drive in there in the first place and definetly not in their next console .They knew the potential risks and even if every hacked xbox owner outthere buyes at least a few titles while they have it then it was worth it , in fact I wouldnt be suprised if they kinda counted on it in some ways.

Well as they grow closer and closer to there big brother "the PC" it makes it almost imposible to mod proof it... And even more so when there leaning twards a consol that acks like a computer too..with windows and what not on it.

They will have to relay on CD protection to do it..and there getting very good at it by now..

Metallica_Band said:
^^^

Uhhh...the fucking thing hasn't even been release and you haven't even played it yet and you're already saying that it ISN'T GREA?!?!? What's wrong with ppl these days...don't judge so quickly, ppl...wait and actually PLAY the damn thing before you judge it...sheesh!!! :rolleyes: :p

dude, you chew people out way too much. get some e-pills and chill.

My 2 cents = Xbox 360 will be sweet, but I hope that isn't the final design. I don't like the whole curviture thing, and I don't like the idea of a white console.

MrWoot said:
dude, you chew people out way too much. get some e-pills and chill.

My 2 cents = Xbox 360 will be sweet, but I hope that isn't the final design. I don't like the whole curviture thing, and I don't like the idea of a white console.

Just don't paint your XBOX 2, because if you paint it you are a modder, and apparently 99% of all modders are thieves.

bonkrowave said:
Just don't paint your XBOX 2, because if you paint it you are a modder, and apparently 99% of all modders are thieves.

LOL, if they release a console that ugly, there's going to be a surge in the console case modding arena. :D

was there even one in the first place?

CypherNinja said:
LOL, if they release a console that ugly, there's going to be a surge in the console case modding arena. :D

was there even one in the first place?

Personally I like the console.

There are a few sites dedicated to the XBOX mod comunity. I have seen some cool things done with the XBOX. Bigger hardrives, a glowing jewel, interesting paint schemes. But I guess they are all thieves, well thats what im told anyway. ;)

Back