Mechanical Keyboard Guide

I just ordered the monoprice reds, I can't wait to compare them to my beloved white/clear switches

OP Updated with Monoprice Mech boards.
I will go through and correct some of the bad links this week.

Have you seen any reviews/impressions on those Monoprice boards? They look rather nice, and a sub $100 backlit mechanical is somewhat rare (seems they're 25% off thru 6/30). I could never find Ducky's available with red LEDs either.

I should get the keyboard tomorrow or the day after, I'll post my initial impressions when I get some free time vs my Deck Legend Frost Tactile.

The $130 (selling for $97 atm) monoprice keyboard looks UTTERLY identical in every detail to the $150 Max Keyboard Nighthawk X9.

Compare the close-up pics of the switches with the leds exposed, the fonts used on the keycaps, the cables, and the usb/headphone ports over the numpad. And most obviously, the distinctive numlock, scroll lock, and capslock indicators are the same.

It's interesting to note that MaxKeyboards.com carries Browns and Reds while Monoprice carries Blacks and Reds.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, it looks identical to that Max Nighthawk, except for the wrist pad. MP's is selling for under $100 right now, must be to promote their new peripheral selection. Even at $130+shipping it's probably decently priced tho. Anyone have any experience with the Nighthawk?

Edit: Also looks like some of the Xarmors, and here's a thread on the Nighthawk:

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1025953

Last edited:
Well, it's not that it feels exactly like a membrane keyboard. You are right that it is far "crisper" and less mushy than a membrane keyboard. It's just that the leap from the feel of a membrane key to blue switches will be far greater than to red switches.

If someone (like myself) is motivated by the expectation drastically different and noticeable tactile experience from a membrane keyboard, browns will not be satisfactory. I'd recommend blues over browns for someone like that.

Having said that I like the browns the more I type on them and will keep them instead of exchanging for blues like I originally planned. Worse comes to worse, I can always gift this keyboard and get another one.

I've been trying to decide between browns and reds. I definitely don't like the loudness of the blues and I am not quite sure what to think of the tactile feedback after testing them. I actually wish I could try both of them, but I don't think that will be possible.

I've been trying to decide between browns and reds. I definitely don't like the loudness of the blues and I am not quite sure what to think of the tactile feedback after testing them. I actually wish I could try both of them, but I don't think that will be possible.

If you like the tactile feedback AT ALL then I'd recommend the Browns over the Reds. When actually typing at high speed I do not feel the tactile bump at all - it is just too gentle/subtle. I have to TRY to feel the tactile bump by slowly lowering the key - something I'd never do normally while gaming or typing. (I am assuming you bottom-out while typing like most people do.) Almost all of the sound of the keys come from the sound of the key bottoming out - something that can be mitigated slightly by the use of rubber O-rings. The Browns and Reds do not sound really different from each other compared to the Blues to anything else.

I think the Browns and Reds are not drastically different in typing experience aside from the slight difference in spring resistance. I do feel the bump more now that I've been typing on the keyboard for about a week or so, but it is still extremely minimal.

I can definitely feel the bump while typing on this brown board. I can see why browns are so popular, they're similar in feeling to blues, in that you get a feeling that the key activated, but it's quieter.

Compared to reds where you feel nothing but bottoming out.

My board also has a clear switch for the spacebar, I think I'd like a whole board with clear switches. Just a bit more noticeable of a bump / higher resistance.

Just got the Monoprice board now, shipped in the largest box I've ever seen for a kb.

Has the "monoprice" touch with the firm and sturdy nylon wrapped cables.
Backlight is nice and bright, has a neato "pulse" setting too. I don't think any board will be brighter than my Deck though.
Cherry reds are a new experience to me, I need more time with them since I'm only used to clears/whites.
The keycaps feel thin and cheap to me (I am biased towards Deck's doubleshot keys so most boards feel cheap to me) except for the 4 blanks they provide you with.
For first impressions, I think it's a good deal for a backlit board.

sorry for crappy cell phone pic
Deck with lowest setting brightness, and monoprice highest setting brightness

The $130 (selling for $97 atm) monoprice keyboard looks UTTERLY identical in every detail to the $150 Max Keyboard Nighthawk X9.

Compare the close-up pics of the switches with the leds exposed, the fonts used on the keycaps, the cables, and the usb/headphone ports over the numpad. And most obviously, the distinctive numlock, scroll lock, and capslock indicators are the same.

It's interesting to note that MaxKeyboards.com carries Browns and Reds while Monoprice carries Blacks and Reds.

any place else to buy the monoprice kb?

I doubt it... that stuff really only sells on their website. They usually just rebrand other companies' products and sell it as their own.

For $97 though that's a pretty good deal for a fully back-lit board with cherry reds.

Just got the Monoprice board now, shipped in the largest box I've ever seen for a kb.

Has the "monoprice" touch with the firm and sturdy nylon wrapped cables.
Backlight is nice and bright, has a neato "pulse" setting too. I don't think any board will be brighter than my Deck though.
Cherry reds are a new experience to me, I need more time with them since I'm only used to clears/whites.
The keycaps feel thin and cheap to me (I am biased towards Deck's doubleshot keys so most boards feel cheap to me) except for the 4 blanks they provide you with.
For first impressions, I think it's a good deal for a backlit board.

sorry for crappy cell phone pic
Deck with lowest setting brightness, and monoprice highest setting brightness

Deck makes a fine product. I just wish they had offerings which used Cherry MX Blues. I've got one using Cherry MX Blacks and it's held up nice over the years. But I prefer blues.

the keyboard has heft to it and feels sturdy, but I would rather bash someone's head in with my Deck and expect it to function like day one.

I just bought the Corsair K90, I almost bought the BWU but the glossy black really doesnt do it for me.

I just bought the Corsair K90, I almost bought the BWU but the glossy black really doesnt do it for me.

I wanted to like the Cosair keyboards, but I'm not a fan of the Cherry MX Red switches, or the membrane function keys.

I wanted to like the Cosair keyboards, but I'm not a fan of the Cherry MX Red switches, or the membrane function keys.

the membrane function keys dont bother me, its just the macro keys and the function keys. I was using a logitech Wave before getting the K90. I really like the aluminum body on the k90 and the locatiopn of the media controls. I wish it had jacks to plug in my headphones but my phones do have a USB adapter and the k90 has a USB port so not a bad trade off.

I'll be using this keyboard at work too so hoping the onboard memory will let me program some of the autohotkeys I use a lot to the macro keys.

I'm really digging my K90, but I got it for like $82... When I was looking at it for the MSRP I was leaning heavily towards a Ducky. I like reds a lot tho, specially for home, tried browns but they're just too close to reds in feel... Would probably opt for blues for a work keyboard tho.

The K90 is a nice looking keyboard and the button presses feel very smooth. Not sure I like it for typing, though. Hopefully, I can get used to it, as I recently returned the Black Widow back to Amazon, due to uneven button presses. Also, not sure if I can get used to the elevated buttons on these mechanical keyboards. They're a little bit too high for me.

the membrane function keys dont bother me, its just the macro keys and the function keys. I was using a logitech Wave before getting the K90. I really like the aluminum body on the k90 and the locatiopn of the media controls. I wish it had jacks to plug in my headphones but my phones do have a USB adapter and the k90 has a USB port so not a bad trade off.

I'll be using this keyboard at work too so hoping the onboard memory will let me program some of the autohotkeys I use a lot to the macro keys.

I have no interest in media keys, macro keys, membrane keys, audio jacks, USB ports, LED's or anything of the kind.

I just got the monoprice kb with the cherry black switches. So far I love it. The board is very sturdy, soft matte black coating on the outside, and the rest is nice feature.

I definitely like the blacks more than the reds. I like the additional force needed to depress the keys since with the Rosewill board I had with reds I'd find myself accidentally hitting other keys because of how light the stroke was...

I just got the monoprice kb with the cherry black switches. So far I love it. The board is very sturdy, soft matte black coating on the outside, and the rest is nice feature.

I definitely like the blacks more than the reds. I like the additional force needed to depress the keys since with the Rosewill board I had with reds I'd find myself accidentally hitting other keys because of how light the stroke was...

Well, to each his own. Some guys prefer lighter strokes, while some will understandably prefer heavy strokes. Some, like myself, like to bottom out while others don't care for it. I have no idea why you wouldn't want to bottom out if you can, though. It just makes for a more satisfying experience overall.

bottoming out is awesome :p
I can definitely type faster on reds, but I think the clears/whites are the best all-around switches for me.
As long as it's mechanical, I will be pleased.

Well I picked up a CM Storm QuickFire Rapid today. I needed something for my test bench which was a little smaller and I was tired of going from my Das to my test bench which had a G-15 rev 1 on it with back lighting issues, faded key caps, and of course a worn membrane. Given the space constraints on that desk I felt something without a 10 key would be ideal. I enter a lot of numbers on my main rig, but not on the bench. So it just fit.

I haven't had a lot of time with it, but I like the quality of it so far. It feels a lot like my Das Keyboard does. In fact the key press feels the same. (Both Cherry MX Blues which are plate mounted, and use Costar stabalizers.) And that consistent experience and similar feel is what I was looking for. We'll see how it holds up as time goes on. But so far I'm impressed with the build quality and the feel. Not bad for $79.99 at Microcenter.

Well, to each his own. Some guys prefer lighter strokes, while some will understandably prefer heavy strokes. Some, like myself, like to bottom out while others don't care for it. I have no idea why you wouldn't want to bottom out if you can, though. It just makes for a more satisfying experience overall.

Supposedly it causes more stress.

bottoming out is awesome :p
I can definitely type faster on reds, but I think the clears/whites are the best all-around switches for me.
As long as it's mechanical, I will be pleased.

I'd take almost any mechanical keyboard over any membrane based unit.

Can anyone recommend me a slim/portable/low weight board? Preferably tenkeyless and 100% key size.

Actually the CM Storm QuickFire Rapid fits the bill perfectly. It's 10 keyless, slim profile, full sized keys, etc. I've got one on my test bench and while I've only had it a couple days, I'm enjoying it so far. Pretty comparable to my Das Keyboard professional in terms of quality and feel.

OP Update:

Fixed Broken/Dead links
Added new product links
Corrected pricing
Added Switch types
Deleted unpopular or discontinued keyboards
Added new keyboard - CM Trigger

OP Update:

Fixed Broken/Dead links
Added new product links
Corrected pricing
Added Switch types
Deleted unpopular or discontinued keyboards
Added new keyboard - CM Trigger

This is just an idea/opinion (and you know everyone has those) :p but I would personally like to see the unpopular and discontinued keyboards remain in the OP. For the unpopular ones, you could give reasons why (reputation for poor build quality/premature failures/etc.) and the discontinued boards could be listed under their own section/heading. This would help new people who might be looking for a particular board; they could see that it is unpopular (and why) or discontinued rather than posting in the thread to ask that it be added or wondering why they are unable to easily find a certain board.

JMHO, of course!

^^^ No problem

I've actually have been omitting other boards I deemed low quality. I'll go back and post other boards later this week, along with the ones I deleted.

On another note:

Just received a Filco MJ-2 Ninja White with black switches from Amazon.
It was listed as Used in "Good" condition, so I expected the worst but the price was good.

But the board arrived sealed and brand new for only $66 shipped. Win.
Now it will complement my Leopold TKL with Red Switches.

bh9Cd.jpg

ASLIT.jpg

Ive never learned so much about keyboards in a single thread. Great post and thanks for sharing.

Just ordered a Ducky Shine with Cherry MX Brown switches. Found it to be the best based on a whole mess of reviews however I was not able to get hands on it yet. Hopefully I'm not disappointing, although I'm swapping over from a G15v2. Anyone have any experience with these?

^^^ No problem

I've actually have been omitting other boards I deemed low quality. I'll go back and post other boards later this week, along with the ones I deleted.

On another note:

Just received a Filco MJ-2 Ninja White with black switches from Amazon.
It was listed as Used in "Good" condition, so I expected the worst but the price was good.

But the board arrived sealed and brand new for only $66 shipped. Win.
Now it will complement my Leopold TKL with Red Switches.

I hope yours doesn't suffer the same problem that mine had. About after a month of use the case became extremely creaky and the spacebar began to stick from time to time. I went through 2 of them (browns) and both had the same exact problem.

Back