Mechanical Keyboard Guide

I'd wait for the Leopolds to start coming into Elitekeyboards in Jan/Feb rather than get a Ducky. Quality issues and the ugliest keys I've ever seen.
attachment.php

oops - that's not really my pic - it's by fssbzz
Merry Christmas!

Today i was able to test some browns and blues, and i've got to say im disappointed. I've been interested in mechanicals for a while, due to my realization that peripherals really do help my gaming. I used to be a no frills, get from point A to B guy, cheap optical mouse, rubber mousepad from '93... Then i got a G9X and a steelseries mousepad and i got significantly better at my gaming, so its only natural i'd consider looking at a keyboard to help that respect as well.

Browns were on a cherry. I was completely unable to feel the tactile bump. To my fingers, it felt like a stiffer version of the old clear plastic apple imac keyboard. Though i can see that the stiffness would be better for building finger strength... i dunno, it wasn't some "oooh ahh typing like butter" situation. And the extra stiffness in it vs the apple or even a dell membrane keyboard feels like it would tire me out faster.

apple keyboard im talking about: http://www.lughertexture.com/images/rsgallery/original/apple imac keyboard 1.jpg

Then the blues were on the Razer blackwidow. And i really loved how light and easy they were to press. Hell, they were easier to press than my dell membrane keyboard. It was cool how the click literally sounded like a mouse click, however i do believe it would bother me when gaming.

now i'm in a pickle, i've always thought i would get browns for gaming... but the blues feel so much better to my fingers. Guess i'll have to find some blacks to compare as well. =/

Today i was able to test some browns and blues, and i've got to say im disappointed. I've been interested in mechanicals for a while, due to my realization that peripherals really do help my gaming. I used to be a no frills, get from point A to B guy, cheap optical mouse, rubber mousepad from '93... Then i got a G9X and a steelseries mousepad and i got significantly better at my gaming, so its only natural i'd consider looking at a keyboard to help that respect as well.

Browns were on a cherry. I was completely unable to feel the tactile bump. To my fingers, it felt like a stiffer version of the old clear plastic apple imac keyboard. Though i can see that the stiffness would be better for building finger strength... i dunno, it wasn't some "oooh ahh typing like butter" situation. And the extra stiffness in it vs the apple or even a dell membrane keyboard feels like it would tire me out faster.

apple keyboard im talking about: http://www.lughertexture.com/images/rsgallery/original/apple imac keyboard 1.jpg

Then the blues were on the Razer blackwidow. And i really loved how light and easy they were to press. Hell, they were easier to press than my dell membrane keyboard. It was cool how the click literally sounded like a mouse click, however i do believe it would bother me when gaming.

now i'm in a pickle, i've always thought i would get browns for gaming... but the blues feel so much better to my fingers. Guess i'll have to find some blacks to compare as well. =/

I'm looking to make the jump to a mechanical keyboard some time in the future as well. I thought I'd end up going with the browns too but your post makes me hesitant. The browns are supposed to have a lighter key press then the blues...hmm

I'm looking to make the jump to a mechanical keyboard some time in the future as well. I thought I'd end up going with the browns too but your post makes me hesitant. The browns are supposed to have a lighter key press then the blues...hmm

http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/491752-mechanical-keyboard-guide.html

Initial keypress says blues are lighter. Actuation point is supposed to be stiffer on the blue, but i didnt notice at all, it was more of a smooth downwards push with a click in the middle.

The brown one felt stiff before it just fell down, and popped back very quickly. Felt like a stiffer, sturdier version of membrane tactility to me. However the space between pressing it and stiffness starting is apparently 1mm, and i think the weight of my fingers pressed it down that far.

Clearly i need to spend WAY more time with them eh?

My information overload run has led me to this great thread. This needs to be stickied and kept up to date IMO. :)

I'm looking to go mechanical myself and I think it's going to be either MX blue or black of some kind for me. This has been a real education for me this past week. :)

Gaming is priority one.

http://geekhack.org/

^^ Go to that forum and hit the keyboard area. THAT is epic. ;)

For me I think my top two choices are waiting for the Leopolds (Filco successor) or making a move on a Das.

Actually you want to go there and hit this sticky - "The Geekhack Mechanical Keyboard Guide - Start Here Wiki".

And btw the Razer Black Widow uses standard Cherry MX Blues. Supposedly they are "hand picked by virgins" but that's par for the course in Razer's Marketing hyperbole.

"hand picked by virgins"

Great line, Ripster! :p

I had a standard Black Widow and now have a Das. The Blue switches on both are identical, though the Das switches feel a bit more stable, IMO.

I almost bought the BlackWidow until i found out that it was using the tactile blue's and isn't NKRO. The blue's are nice switches but its just the clickey noise that gets annoying after a week or so.

My 6GV2 finally arrived as well couple days ago so im still getting used to typing on it without bottoming out the keys. Feels like heaven compared to Lycosa that it replaced.

This thread really needs to be stickied.

Actually you want to go there and hit this sticky - "The Geekhack Mechanical Keyboard Guide - Start Here Wiki".

And btw the Razer Black Widow uses standard Cherry MX Blues. Supposedly they are "hand picked by virgins" but that's par for the course in Razer's Marketing hyperbole.

It's a great forum. I've been lurking a lot there a bit and you're one of several regulars there that I tip my hat to. :)

I haven't ruled out the Razer for myself yet.

I need to see how the Leopold washes out a bit more and I'm also looking at Deck Legend Tactile of some sort. Or again, the Das.

I'm going to say even just a week ago I was one of many people that really didn't know or think keyboards made much of a difference and it's been a HELL of an eye opening education for me.

I guess it makes sense the same way going from a $15 mouse to something like the G9 I'm using makes a big difference, too.

I'm currently using an MS Natural Ergo 4000 and the space bar has gone to pot and there's a few other quirks it has that I'm simply tired of and I'm ready for better quality even if I have forsake ergo to get it done. It'll be the second one I've gone through in about 4-5 years and I'm not someone that abuses keyboards. It's actually starting to cost me in games a little bit.

The higher end ergo scene is pretty tough and expensive to follow.

EDIT: Doing some measurements...I think I wouldn't mind tenkeyless to save some width. Certainly leans me more heavily towards waiting on that new Leopold. One wonder how long it's going to take for Elite Keyboards to get their act together on that.

I may not be that patient. ;)

Can't fully determine if the Leopolds will come in MX variants or Brown only.

Last edited:
I much prefer the Cherry MX Blues to the other switch types I've tried. The DAS keyboard has a great feel to it. My biggest complaint about it is that the keyboard shows a lot of wear fairly quickly. Mine has a glossy texture on many of the keys and some of the lettering is wearing off. I've had it for around six months or so I believe. Maybe longer. I had mechanical keyboards which I bought in the late 90's which don't show nearly this much wear on them.

ive had the Das3 since it's first shipment and I still have no wear on key lettering.

So I'm in a different predicament... I am a happy owner and user of three 1980's IBM Model M's.
I love the bucking spring keys and I'm used to the layout.

In a new job though my typing bothers some others in my office.
What would you recommend as a "quieter" replacement having the same or similar actuation? Thus far I think I may have to get the "silent" Das... but I'm looking for advice.

Thanks

EDIT: I should note this keyboard will be exclusively for typing, no gaming.

Last edited:
This thread really needs to be stickied.

I don't know if WorldExclusive is still updating the first post in this thread...he hasn't touched it since November 10 so maybe not...but if he felt like it he could add the Rosewill RK-9000 as another really nice Cherry MX Blue that's essentially a rebranded Filco Majestictouch. $100 at Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201040&Tpk=rosewill rk-9000

I'm really enjoying it although I must admit it's a little strange after using an MS Ergo for probably 5 years.

I can easily recommend it to anyone who wants a really solid Cherry MX Blue board that doesn't break the bank and you're not paying for extra frills whether it be USB slots, piano finishes, backlit keys, etc.

So I'm in a different predicament... I am a happy owner and user of three 1980's IBM Model M's.

What would you recommend as a "quieter" replacement having the same or similar actuation? Thus far I think I may have to get the "silent" Das... but I'm looking for advice.

Thanks

There's various methods of silencing a Model M, including applying silicone grease to the springs.

The silent Das might be way too light if you're coming from a Model M.

Thanks

I believe the Das Silent uses Cherry Browns? If so, it's not really comparable to a Model M. I have a brown Filco, and while it's a nice board, the switches are barely tactile. You can't really feel the click in normal typing unless you have an incredibly light touch (not likely if you're coming from a Model M!)

I'm a Model M/Unicomp lover myself, and the only other keyboard I've found that can compare is the Topre Realforce. Even there, the feel is completely different, but still tactile and quieter than even Cherry Browns (my Filco brown still makes a fair bit of noise when the key bottoms out, and it's a higher-pitched clack than the Topre, so more noticeable IMHO). There's really nothing that feels like a buckling spring. Cherry Blues have a good feel but the noise is IMHO more annoying than the BS boards. Topres are a joy to type on, but in a different way than BS.

I believe the Das Silent uses Cherry Browns? If so, it's not really comparable to a Model M. I have a brown Filco, and while it's a nice board, the switches are barely tactile. You can't really feel the click in normal typing unless you have an incredibly light touch (not likely if you're coming from a Model M!)

I'm a Model M/Unicomp lover myself, and the only other keyboard I've found that can compare is the Topre Realforce. Even there, the feel is completely different, but still tactile and quieter than even Cherry Browns (my Filco brown still makes a fair bit of noise when the key bottoms out, and it's a higher-pitched clack than the Topre, so more noticeable IMHO). There's really nothing that feels like a buckling spring. Cherry Blues have a good feel but the noise is IMHO more annoying than the BS boards. Topres are a joy to type on, but in a different way than BS.

I think that the Cherry MX Blues are as close to the buckling spring switches as you'll find in both feel and in noise.

just got the razer blackwidow, original, not the backlit one... my first mechanical keyboard. feels awesome playing sc 2 and the clicks dont really bother me. i actually feel like typing more on it. i honestly think my apm went up more :O

Whoever compared those god awful Apple clear case keyboards with a filco brown cherry is insane. They don't feel anything alike!

Whoever compared those god awful Apple clear case keyboards with a filco brown cherry is insane. They don't feel anything alike!

I'm pretty sure that the clear case ones are membrane keyboards, no idea why anyone would compare them with a mechanical. The old Apple Extended Keyboard II did have mechanical Alps switches though, maybe that's what he thought he was using.

Clearly i need to spend WAY more time with them eh?

Yes. You are kind of "eh, that's ok I guess" when you start using mechanical keyboards.

Use them for a month, go back to a membrane, then tell me there's no difference. It is HORRIBLE going back to a membrane keyboard after using a mechanical for a while. ;)

Yes. You are kind of "eh, that's ok I guess" when you start using mechanical keyboards.

Use them for a month, go back to a membrane, then tell me there's no difference. It is HORRIBLE going back to a membrane keyboard after using a mechanical for a while. ;)

It didn't even take me a full day to get there myself. I'm a complete mechanical keyboard convert and zealot.

Same here. After at least 5+ years using laptop-style/membrane boards, some of which were quite good (Enermax, SIIG, Logitech, etc.), I was fully won over to mechanical within a few hours of using a Razer Black Widow. Now, I've got a Das and won't ever go back to membrane boards.

Same here. After at least 5+ years using laptop-style/membrane boards, some of which were quite good (Enermax, SIIG, Logitech, etc.), I was fully won over to mechanical within a few hours of using a Razer Black Widow. Now, I've got a Das and won't ever go back to membrane boards.

People were right when they said there's something almost addictive and certainly satisfying about using these things.

The first keyboard I used on my parents XT PC was a mechanical buckling spring design, the kind with the function keys down the left side of the keyboard.

Then when I got my first computer, a 286, it had a mechanical keyboard with the function keys along the top like modern keyboards.

I loved those things, but then in the 90's when quiet-key type keyboards became predominant and I was poor I got used to using them, even though I hated them.

I got back into them again after graduating, getting a job and being able to justify spending more on a keyboard. There is no going back now.

I found an old NMB Technologies Mechanical Keyboard in the basement. Problem is that it is the 5 pin din connector and I don't have a 5 pin din to PS/2 adapter so I don't know how good this keyboard is.

I found an old NMB Technologies Mechanical Keyboard in the basement. Problem is that it is the 5 pin din connector and I don't have a 5 pin din to PS/2 adapter so I don't know how good this keyboard is.

You can get one of those DIN to ps2 adapters for next to nothing...

Passive DIN (AT) -> PS/2 adapters are super cheap. The signaling is the exact same between AT 5-DIN and PS/2, so all you have to do is reroute some wires. No fancy circuitry required.

I built my own for $2. If you have a spare PS/2 cable lying around, you could just do some splicing.

Passive DIN (AT) -> PS/2 adapters are super cheap. The signaling is the exact same between AT 5-DIN and PS/2, so all you have to do is reroute some wires. No fancy circuitry required.

I built my own for $2. If you have a spare PS/2 cable lying around, you could just do some splicing.

Or just buy one of these.

It's kind of a moot point now that I ordered a Rosewill mechanical keyboard from Newegg, but is a Cherry G80-3494 with red switches better for gaming, and where can I get one with english keycaps? Thanks.

It's kind of a moot point now that I ordered a Rosewill mechanical keyboard from Newegg, but is a Cherry G80-3494 with red switches better for gaming, and where can I get one with english keycaps? Thanks.

My recon runs have yielded that switch preference is mostly if not entirely subjective.

I'm gaming on that Rosewill right now and I couldn't be happier. I wish you the same success. :)

My recon runs have yielded that switch preference is mostly if not entirely subjective.

This can't be said enough. You don't 1000% know which switch is best for you until you actually use the keyboard on a PC that is turned on. Even typing on it in the store without it plugged into anything doesn't give you the whole story. I went through two mechanical keyboards before I was happy, and my first instinct that I would like Cherry MX browns (which suits other people perfectly BTW) was completely wrong.

So yeah, it really comes down to personal preference.

I've got a few of them. They are close to the Cherry MX Browns in terms of feel.

Back