Mechanical Keyboard Guide

gmHVk.jpg

My rk9000 after 4 days

:\

My rk9000 after 4 days

:\

Same happened to me. I bought the RK9000 blue several months back.

What's strange is: The fading on some of the keys went to a certain degree and then never got any worse. Or if it is, it's happening at a much slower rate vs that initial 2 month period after I bought the keyboard.

I've been using a rk9000 for almost a month at work and it doesn't look anything like that, and that's after eating greasy biscuits before using it (bad habit) :(

I have to ask, since I literally have no way of getting my hands on trying an MX Brown, should I just buy an MX Brown keyboard from Newegg, use it for a week or two, make a decision if I like it or not and send it back with the 15% restock fee?

I have to ask, since I literally have no way of getting my hands on trying an MX Brown, should I just buy an MX Brown keyboard from Newegg, use it for a week or two, make a decision if I like it or not and send it back with the 15% restock fee?

You could also try it out and sell it in the FS/FT forum if you don't like it.

If you can find one at Amazon, they don't charge re-stocking fees.

Sounds good. I know my one friend is getting one right now, but it won't be here till March 2nd and I won't see him till probably April. I do have money to kill, but I'd just like to get my hands on something and try it out so I can finally make a decision if I want one or not.

But holy shit do Filcos cost a bit... Also, the problem is Filcos is that they are Tenkeyless on Amazon... and I'm left handed. As in I need the keypad.

Last edited:

Come on, you don't need to take advantage of their return policy. Its not like they can sell it as new after its been opened. Its not like it'll cost you'll lose that much money by selling it on the forums.

Come on, you don't need to take advantage of their return policy. Its not like they can sell it as new after its been opened. Its not like it'll cost you'll lose that much money by selling it on the forums.

How is it taking advantage of their policy to buy it and then return it if you don't like it? It's not like there is any way to try one out without buying. I wouldn't advocate returning something because it didn't overclock, for instance, but not liking it is a perfectly valid reason to return something. You've never returned anything because it wasn't what you thought it would be?

How is it taking advantage of their policy to buy it and then return it if you don't like it? It's not like there is any way to try one out without buying. I wouldn't advocate returning something because it didn't overclock, for instance, but not liking it is a perfectly valid reason to return something. You've never returned anything because it wasn't what you thought it would be?

I've bought a microphone for just one night and took it back the next day to Best Buy lol.

How would you like it if you sold a new keyboard or pair of headphones or motherboard on the forums and someone tried to return them because they didn't like it. Come on man, if you do your research first you should have an inkling in what you are looking for. I'm sure that you can eat the $20 its going to cost you in the loss from selling the keyboard. $20 play around with a certain switch for a couple of weeks isn't a bad deal to me.

When Amazon does finally start charging a restocking fee like every other store you won't have to wonder why. Amazon isn't a rental service.

Got my Ducky Shine today with brown switches and white LED's. Build quality is very good. The keyboard is about as compact as a full-size keyboard can be. You can adjust the backlighting from very low to super bright.

I like the brown switches, but I do find myself wishing it took just a little more force to press the keys. Blue switches might be a bit better of a fit for me, but there's not much I don't like about the browns, either.

I bought it from Tankguys, and I wish they had not placed an overclock.net logo on the top of the space bar. I may purchase a replacement key for this.

I paid $145 for this keyboard. I never imagined that I would pay that much for a keyboard, but my closet contains 6 other standard keyboards that I didn't like. With this keyboard, I can definitely see that the extra cash makes a big difference in what you get. This one is a keeper.

Got my Ducky Shine today with brown switches and white LED's. Build quality is very good. The keyboard is about as compact as a full-size keyboard can be. You can adjust the backlighting from very low to super bright.

I like the brown switches, but I do find myself wishing it took just a little more force to press the keys. Blue switches might be a bit better of a fit for me, but there's not much I don't like about the browns, either.

I bought it from Tankguys, and I wish they had not placed an overclock.net logo on the top of the space bar. I may purchase a replacement key for this.

I paid $145 for this keyboard. I never imagined that I would pay that much for a keyboard, but my closet contains 6 other standard keyboards that I didn't like. With this keyboard, I can definitely see that the extra cash makes a big difference in what you get. This one is a keeper.

So a Ducky Shine is worth every cent? I know of another place that's in the US that sells a Ducky, without the OC.net logo on it, with blue back-lighting and so on. It's anywhere between 155 and 160 including shipping.

So a Ducky Shine is worth every cent? I know of another place that's in the US that sells a Ducky, without the OC.net logo on it, with blue back-lighting and so on. It's anywhere between 155 and 160 including shipping.

In my opinion it is, but keyboard preference is very subjective.

In my opinion it is, but keyboard preference is very subjective.

I will admit, it has what I'm looking for (even though I've never tried any other keys other than Blue) in MX Brown, back lights, all the function/media keys I'd ever need, replaceable USB cable and reliable quality.

I will admit, it has what I'm looking for (even though I've never tried any other keys other than Blue) in MX Brown, back lights, all the function/media keys I'd ever need, replaceable USB cable and reliable quality.

The media keys all work without the need for extra software, even on a Mac.

How would you like it if you sold a new keyboard or pair of headphones or motherboard on the forums and someone tried to return them because they didn't like it. Come on man, if you do your research first you should have an inkling in what you are looking for. I'm sure that you can eat the $20 its going to cost you in the loss from selling the keyboard. $20 play around with a certain switch for a couple of weeks isn't a bad deal to me.

When Amazon does finally start charging a restocking fee like every other store you won't have to wonder why. Amazon isn't a rental service.

I'm not a retail store, so that is completely irrelevant. Amazon's return policy is one of their competitive advantages, and one of the reasons they have done so well in the online market. No matter how much research you do, you still can't reproduce the feel of actually using a product - and without the opportunity to test drive the product somehow, what else are you going to do? I'm supposed to just accept that trying a product is going to cost me $20? If and when Amazon charges a restocking fee, then I'll pay it, but it's hardly taking advantage of their policy to buy from them and then return it if I don't like it. That's kind of the whole basis for the "no questions asked" return policy.

I don't buy three different versions of the same thing and then return the two I don't like; but if I've done the research and it still turns out I don't like the one I thought would be right, I have no compunctions about returning it, and no one else should either.

Last edited:

I would take a Leopold over a Ducky any day. And they're cheaper, unless you buy through an importer or import yourself. There's no reason you should ever pay $150 for a Ducky board, they can easily be had in the $80 range.

I would take a Leopold over a Ducky any day. And they're cheaper, unless you buy through an importer or import yourself. There's no reason you should ever pay $150 for a Ducky board, they can easily be had in the $80 range.

On Elite Keyboards, a Leopold (full keyboard, with the keypad) is $110 (with shipping is about $122), and that's just a base MX Brown keyboard (not base in quality, but base in basically any features). I've been using this current keyboard for at least 5 or 6 years, so I'm REALLY used to a few media keys and a calculator button (even though I can just assign it to F9), and the Ducky Shine WITH the media keys, replaceable USB cable, backlights (would definitely be a nice change for me), etc for $155 with shipping. So is that not worth the extra 33 bucks over the Leopold?

On Elite Keyboards, a Leopold (full keyboard, with the keypad) is $110 (with shipping is about $122), and that's just a base MX Brown keyboard (not base in quality, but base in basically any features). I've been using this current keyboard for at least 5 or 6 years, so I'm REALLY used to a few media keys and a calculator button (even though I can just assign it to F9), and the Ducky Shine WITH the media keys, replaceable USB cable, backlights (would definitely be a nice change for me), etc for $155 with shipping. So is that not worth the extra 33 bucks over the Leopold?

You can make any keys you want media keys on the Leopold, they just won't have labels -- could make ctrl-alt-w volume up, etc with free software. The only thing the Ducky Shine has over the Leopold really is backlight. If that matters to you then yes it is worth the $33 or so. If not, no. You can get the Ducky Shine with MX Browns ("tea axis") switches for $140 shipped direct from Taiwan, by the way. (Look up a tutorial on how to order from PCHome -- it's not hard, they even take paypal.)

Last edited:
Well got my Ducky Shines in today. I like the keyboard but honestly the K90 is a much better value. The keys on the Ducky Shine wobble, The light settings don't stay when you restart your computer, and I miss my volume wheel. For paying about 30% more over the K90 I don't mind that the K90 isn't fully mechanical. It has everything I need and is very comfortable. :(

But there are some good things on the Ducky. I like the replaceable keys it came with. I like how they're raised up a bit so I can easily find them. I like the replaceable cord too. But I'm no keyboard snob just want something good to game on.... :D

This is why I recommend Leopold and Filco over Ducky... wiggly keycaps, poor build quality, generally nonsense...

I picked up a mint Das Silent S off eBay for $95 shipped... best keyboard I have ever used.

So it was used before? Also, do stabilizers really make that much of a difference?

I mean, the Rosewill's have stabilizers on their space bars, but do Leopolds and Filcos have stabilizers on all keys?

Last edited:
In some ways... I feel overloaded by thinking about all of this. So many choices, so many companies, so many subtle differences in quality/features... ugh my brain...

I know it's just a keyboard right? I'm getting more accustomed to my Ducky and starting to like it a bit more now. Still don't think a keyboard like this is worth over $100. I don't care what the build quality is. If it's not comfortable and doesn't have the options you need, don't buy it. I have tons of keyboards and never had one issue with them, even my cheap $20 ones....

This is the one I currently have: http://idg.bg/test/pcw/2008/9/8/7231-Logitech_Multimedia.jpg

And I've been using it for 5 to 6 years and I have beaten the shit out of this thing too. My Dualshock 3 for my PS3 has less durability than this thing lol (I've smashed my controller on this keyboard multiple times and even had my controller chip and nothing to this keyboard). My friend actually got a hold of Cherry and they are sending him one of each switch for free and will mail those switches to me for me to try out and see what I like, even including the upcoming MX Green switch for spacebars. But I think it's because of how much it actually costs for a keyboard that I'm really finicky on which one I should get. I do type a lot in the form of: forums, instant messaging, emails, word/Excel documents, etc and I do game a lot, via FPS, RTS, RPG and in some cases, driving (depends on the game).

The more I use my Ducky the more I love it. Typing on it is just so smooooooth. For me, it was worth the price.

This is the one I currently have: http://idg.bg/test/pcw/2008/9/8/7231-Logitech_Multimedia.jpg

And I've been using it for 5 to 6 years and I have beaten the shit out of this thing too. My Dualshock 3 for my PS3 has less durability than this thing lol (I've smashed my controller on this keyboard multiple times and even had my controller chip and nothing to this keyboard). My friend actually got a hold of Cherry and they are sending him one of each switch for free and will mail those switches to me for me to try out and see what I like, even including the upcoming MX Green switch for spacebars. But I think it's because of how much it actually costs for a keyboard that I'm really finicky on which one I should get. I do type a lot in the form of: forums, instant messaging, emails, word/Excel documents, etc and I do game a lot, via FPS, RTS, RPG and in some cases, driving (depends on the game).

If you do a lot of typing, you might want to stay away from the reds. Because the keys are so light, I end up hitting the key next to it. Blacks, or Blues is probably better... Still love my reds for gaming though.... Which is why I bought these keyboards. :)

I think this is why I wanted a Brown or Clear or something. I don't want a really loud keyboard, which would be MX Blues. I do like the clicking, but I do sometimes like to be quiet when I'm playing something or not trying to disturb others in the house.

I just want to find a high quality Brown that doesn't kill my wallet.

I think this is why I wanted a Brown or Clear or something. I don't want a really loud keyboard, which would be MX Blues. I do like the clicking, but I do sometimes like to be quiet when I'm playing something or not trying to disturb others in the house.

I just want to find a high quality Brown that doesn't kill my wallet.

Pretty happy with my WASD with Browns. I like it better than the Blue one.

I noticed something with WASD, can you even make the ENTER button on the right side (keypad) actually go downward for text? Instead of ENTER, it would be like:
E
N
T
E
R

I noticed something with WASD, can you even make the ENTER button on the right side (keypad) actually go downward for text? Instead of ENTER, it would be like:
E
N
T
E
R

You'd have to pay for the fully customized one (instead of the semi-), but I'd guess they could easily do that. Some of the other designs people have done are way more involved than that.

I did the full customize thing and I could not find anything on how to make it look like that. I might have to type it out like that in the text box?

Back