Mechanical Keyboard Guide

The price of Filco is a little crazy. The only one at a decent price is on eBay and that's as a bid. Are there any Brown ones that don't cost more than 120 or 130?

Maybe the XArmor U9 or U9BL-S?

Last edited:
And just saying right now, I game left-handed (ambidextrous mouse with my left hand) and I use the arrow keys on the keyboard to move around and I definitely, definitely use the tenkey pad for such a thing. Also, are there any MX Browns with multimedia controls (play/pause, next, previous is all I really need). Or would I be asking for too much?

If I were you I would pick up a Ducky 9008. There should me more at OCN at some point soon.

The price of Filco is a little crazy. The only one at a decent price is on eBay and that's as a bid. Are there any Brown ones that don't cost more than 120 or 130?

Maybe the XArmor U9 or U9BL-S?

Ducky or wait for leopolds with the tenkey.(could be eternity)

I tried an X-Armor U9BL back in late December. It wasn't as well built as the Filco or Celeritas and the illumination was uneven. Most key lighting was brighter either on the top half or bottom half of each letter. I ordered a Leopold which will get in my happy hands on Friday. At $99 + $10 to $15 shipping, it offers the best price you'll find for a quality mechanical board unless you want one with a keypad.

Last edited:
Well that really seems like a no brainer lol. Go for the TV; to be honest you'll get much more enjoyment out of that!

Well that really seems like a no brainer lol. Go for the TV; to be honest you'll get much more enjoyment out of that!

Toshiba one on Newegg for $410. 32" 1080p 60Hz and LCD.

Honestly, I think I would get WAY more use out of the Toshiba. I'm sure I would use the hell out of a new keyboard, my current one still works fine, but I've always wanted a 1080p TV.

Anyone else get confused following this? :

Okay, the money I have is now probably either going to go to a keyboard or a 32" 1080p TV.

When I first read that I wanted to ask: What kind of 32 inch 1080p TV can you get for around $100 tops, which is what most of these mechanical keyboards cost on average?

I'd be scared to buy such a TV. It might blow up in my face within a week and give me Cherynobyl class radiation. I really don't want to see what a $100 32 inch 1080p TV looks and sounds like.

But then it gets followed up with this:

Toshiba one on Newegg for $410. 32" 1080p 60Hz and LCD.

Honestly, I think I would get WAY more use out of the Toshiba. I'm sure I would use the hell out of a new keyboard, my current one still works fine, but I've always wanted a 1080p TV.

I would not buy a 60Hz LCD TV for anything and that brand is definitely hit and miss on quality control and especially around that kind of price point, but really it comes down to you and what you want more and how much you're willing to spend.

I would recommend doing more research on the TV purchase and strongly recommend saving a little more money and raising your budget a little bit more.

On topic: In any event, if you choose to buy a mechanical keyboard after doing research on the kind you might like, I can guarantee you won't regret it. :)

Last edited:
Zarathustra[H];1037085430 said:
Hehe, for me its the opposite.

Being able to type well >> watching all the junk they put on TV these days... :p

Besides you can watch most of that stuff via the Internet anyways. ;)

And a fine mechanical keyboard lets you more quickly & accurately type your favorite pr0n URLs. :D

Anyone else get confused following this? :

When I first read that I wanted to ask: What kind of 32 inch 1080p TV can you get for around $100 tops, which is what most of these mechanical keyboards cost on average?

I'd be scared to buy such a TV. It might blow up in my face within a week and give me Cherynobyl class radiation. I really don't want to see what a $100 32 inch 1080p TV looks and sounds like.

But then it gets followed up with this:

I would not buy a 60Hz LCD TV for anything and that brand is definitely hit and miss on quality control and especially around that kind of price point, but really it comes down to you and what you want more and how much you're willing to spend.

I would recommend doing more research on the TV purchase and strongly recommend saving a little more money and raising your budget a little bit more.

On topic: In any event, if you choose to buy a mechanical keyboard after doing research on the kind you might like, I can guarantee you won't regret it. :)

That Toshiba has high reviews on Amazon and Newegg. Also, I can't afford a 120Hz display, even though I would LOVE one for sports such as hockey, baseball and football.

That Toshiba has high reviews on Amazon and Newegg. Also, I can't afford a 120Hz display, even though I would LOVE one for sports such as hockey, baseball and football.

Save up the money to get 120Hz. It helps. It's worth it. Especially for fast moving images like with sports, it's huge.

Seriously. :)

Last edited:
I heard it looks weird with movies.

You're thinking about gimmicks like motion enhancers.

THOSE suck, although you are given control and several setting adjustments even on that stuff. I always tell people to turn 'em off.

120Hz does NOT suck. :)

You misunderstand. It's not 120hz that's giving you the headache, it's the weird video processing bullshit. Just turn it off.

You misunderstand. It's not 120hz that's giving you the headache, it's the weird video processing bullshit. Just turn it off.

^^ This.

BTW, you like how we all have completely derailed this thread? :p

How 'bout them keyboards? ;)

Not to be a No-Fun-Frank but why does one need a guide to mechanical keyboards? ;)

1. Acquire IBM Model M
2. ???
3. Profit!

What do the modern pricey mechanical keyboards have to offer that an ol' Model M can't (besides USB connectivity)?

Asking sincerely.

Not to be a No-Fun-Frank but why does one need a guide to mechanical keyboards? ;)

1. Acquire IBM Model M
2. ???
3. Profit!

What do the modern pricey mechanical keyboards have to offer that an ol' Model M can't (besides USB connectivity)?

Asking sincerely.

Better, more lively/mordern designs, instead of some 1980/90s dull grey/off white
A wider selection of switches i.e. brown, black, blue, red, white, alps etc.
Backlit keys
Ports for peripherals such as USB devices, mice and headsets
Gaming keys such as macros
Compact and standard sizes
......and the list goes on

It's a similar question of why we need different types of ATX computer cases. Everyone is an individual so the products can't be cookie cutter, one size fits all market.
Each person has different needs and wants, the variety of products reflect that in any consumer market.

Last edited:
I love the black ibm m13. That is one sexy old ass keyboard I wish I could get a hold of.

1. Acquire IBM Model M
2. ???
3. Profit!

Asking sincerely.

Backlit, not beige (blacks are rare on ebay), multimedia, compact size. That's about it.

You can always rip it off, cover it with a piece of tape, or turn the label on the other side (which is what Ripster did)
http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:5649

attachment.php

attachment.php
(that's an IBM Thinkpad sticker)

I'd get it for a laugh....

...if it were $60 or less and only a keyboard...

I have fond memories of the Commodore 64, but not enough to actually buy a OEM computer with limited expansion capabilities...

Not to mention that it's running an Intel Atom / Nvidia Ion combo... The least they could have done is to go with a Zacate (but I understand why they didnt, since they wanted to use Linux as the operating system, and Radeon drivers still are not mature enough under linux)

And at that, I can build a Zacate based system for under $200. Sure, looking like an old school Commodore 64 has some retro value, but $400 of retro value? I don't think so.

I wonder if it uses a standard mini ITX form factor. It would be better if they sold this as a high end case, and you could add your own mobo and components...

Last edited:
Zarathustra[H];1037089768 said:
I'd get it for a laugh....
...if it were $60 or less and only a keyboard...
I have fond memories of the Commodore 64, but not enough to actually buy a OEM computer with limited expansion capabilities...

Me either although if I had money to blow out of my rear, I'd probably buy it as a salute. ;)

Zarathustra[H];1037089731 said:
Yeah, but it still has grey keys.... :rolleyes:

If Unicomp relaunched the customizer with black keys I'd even pre-order it.

From what I understand unicomp is only close to a real model m, the buckling springs design they use is a little different now and the keycaps they use are not doubleshot.

From what I understand unicomp is only close to a real model m, the buckling springs design they use is a little different now and the keycaps they use are not doubleshot.

They are made on the same machines as the IBM model M keyboards made by Lexmark. Model M's never used doubleshot keys. They used PBT dye subed keys, the same that Unicomp uses now.

They are made on the same machines as the IBM model M keyboards made by Lexmark. Model M's never used doubleshot keys. They used PBT dye subed keys, the same that Unicomp uses now.

Exactly. This is why they discontinued the black keys, cause you can do dye sublimation with white dye on black keys. The ones they used to sell were pad printed, and the lettering wore off relatively easily.

Instead of going through the extra cost of either getting double shot molded keycaps, or improving their pad printed keys so they would last longer, they just discontinued the black printed keys, which kind of sucks.

You can still get black keys from them, but they have no print. If it were just for me I'd do it, but my Fiancé uses my computer too, and she probably wouldn't like it.

Back