Matrox to Develop Embedded Graphics Cards with NVIDIA

erek

[H]F Junkie
Always did appreciate Matrox's focus on Image Quality and really respect the Parhelia. Someday may collect one if some rare version comes out like an ES

""Matrox is a leader in creating graphics-rich video walls that make an instant real-world impact with customers," said Scott Fitzpatrick, vice president of Quadro Product Marketing at NVIDIA. "The exceptional video playback performance, reliability, and longevity of the NVIDIA architecture makes it an ideal platform for the GPUs Matrox is developing for next-generation video walls."

https://www.techpowerup.com/263211/matrox-to-develop-embedded-graphics-cards-with-nvidia

You have the best of both worlds, Matroxs' stellar designs and Nvidias' drivers.

Matrox had awful drivers for years that hampered the usability of their cards.

Matrox has been using AMD chips in their multi display solutions for years.

All I remember about them that they were overpriced and that image quality snobs couldn't stop raving about them.

Why does nVidia need Matrox is my question. I doubt they have anything nVidia doesn't.

Why does nVidia need Matrox is my question. I doubt they have anything nVidia doesn't.

Matrox sells a lot of high end solutions to very wealthy clients, and Nvidia is interested in selling their chips.

TFA mentions the development of high density video walls. 6'x20' display for the 2021 Super Bowl? Could truly be a wall to wall TV/video monitor. Speculation: Matrox may have some patent or software setup for making display chips better drive such a setup.

All I remember about them that they were overpriced and that image quality snobs couldn't stop raving about them.

It wasn't snobbery, during the times of analog VGA input Matrox card provided much crisper images compared to other vendors. They were also one of the pioneers of 3d acceleration for CAD. They also introduced environmental bump mapping, which was just jaw dropping at the time and gave start to modern shaders. Their G400Maxx was the best performing video card for a short time on the market. They were also the first ones with 10bit color. They also had a lot of tweaks in their drivers software that allowed almost endless adjustment of refresh rates, color calibration, etc.

Back in the late 90ies a G400Maxx + SLI Voodoo2 was king of the hill. Ditto for mid 90ies with MGA Millenium + Voodoo 1 setup.

Matrox's stuff worked great when it was working.

IMG_2414.JPG

It wasn't snobbery, during the times of analog VGA input Matrox card provided much crisper images compared to other vendors. They were also one of the pioneers of 3d acceleration for CAD. They also introduced environmental bump mapping, which was just jaw dropping at the time and gave start to modern shaders. Their G400Maxx was the best performing video card for a short time on the market. They were also the first ones with 10bit color. They also had a lot of tweaks in their drivers software that allowed almost endless adjustment of refresh rates, color calibration, etc.

Back in the late 90ies a G400Maxx + SLI Voodoo2 was king of the hill. Ditto for mid 90ies with MGA Millenium + Voodoo 1 setup.

Completely agreed, I was a bit of a fanatic about them up till the end of the G400 days, loved EMBM ,

And yea, had the Millenium + Diamond Monster 3d combo in my DEC at the time, worked great.

And yea, had the Millenium + Diamond Monster 3d combo in my DEC at the time, worked great.

Except in DOS games, Matrox had horrible problems with VESA modes. I still remember my G200 having crashing issues with transparent sprites on the Build engine (Duke 3D, Shadow Warrior, Blood, etc.)

You have the best of both worlds, Matroxs' stellar designs and Nvidias' drivers.

Matrox had awful drivers for years that hampered the usability of their cards.
I think your confusing Matrox's once upon gaming solutions with what they have been doing for over 15 years.

Back