Mass Effect 3 will require Origin only!

Eventually those publishers like activision are going to weigh out the money they could gain by distributing themself. And more importantly then that they are going to start asking the question that developers are asking. Why have a publisher? This is why EA is going hard with origin how many times have they tried now? The reason is because in the absense of a distribution channel a publisher is nothing more than a mega studio. They have no value. If you were a studio and someone told you, hey you can pay 20% to valve and keep the rest, or pay 20% to valve and 20% to activision why would you ever hang with activision? The only reason left is because you have run out of funding for your game so you need to sell out to get more capitol. And lets be honest most games like this are not doing well anyway. Before you had the whole supply chain they offered of getting you into stores and making dvds for you and boxes and what not. This is why publishers feel threatened by valve. This is why valve needs to think hard about how they will play their cards.

And do not even get me started on longer term implications like the fact everyone and their buddy is making an "app store" now. Those will also start feeding into the competition for valve.

I wont be surprised if Blizzard-Activision release their own digiital distribution platform.

I wont be surprised if Blizzard-Activision release their own digiital distribution platform.

It will be coming. It makes a lot of financial sense for anyone who publishes lots of PC games.

If they sell it, they get to keep all of the proceeds. If they sell it though Steam, they only get 70% of the sale price.

It will be coming. It makes a lot of financial sense for anyone who publishes lots of PC games.

If they sell it, they get to keep all of the proceeds. If they sell it though Steam, they only get 70% of the sale price.

They don't get to keep all the proceeds. Outside of Origin and Battle.net all of the publisher run digital stores are managed by DigitalRiver who handles everything related to it and takes a cut of the sales along with charging for their services.

I've read in a few places that Origin can ban your account and shut down access to games you've bought and they do have a questionable data mining policy. Also read on Wiki (need source?) that if you haven't used the platform in 2 years they'll just shut down your account and you lose access to prior purchases.

Until they change that EA can kiss my ass and lose another damn sale.

I've read in a few places that Origin can ban your account and shut down access to games you've bought and they do have a questionable data mining policy. Also read on Wiki (need source?) that if you haven't used the platform in 2 years they'll just shut down your account and you lose access to prior purchases.

Forum bans lead to EA account bans. It's an issue they severely need to fix. As for the 2 year thing, I'm not positive but I think they changed that.

Forum bans lead to EA account bans. It's an issue they severely need to fix. As for the 2 year thing, I'm not positive but I think they changed that.

Yes they have. That part has been removed from the EULA. But the ridiculous ban thing still exist to my knowledge, and so does the data mining thing.

Yes they have. That part has been removed from the EULA. But the ridiculous ban thing still exist to my knowledge, and so does the data mining thing.

Honestly with all the programs that data mine Origin doing it is only an issue because it's EA.

They don't get to keep all the proceeds. Outside of Origin and Battle.net all of the publisher run digital stores are managed by DigitalRiver who handles everything related to it and takes a cut of the sales along with charging for their services.

Even so, it still does cut one of the middlemen out.

Even so, it still does cut one of the middlemen out.

It replaces one for another. With Acti selling on Steam Valve is the middleman. With their own service DigitalRiver would be. That is unless they used Battle.net.

That's a shame. I would have bought this day 1 if it had been on steam.

Oh well.

Bad news for Steam, it will not come there and will require origin no matter if you buy in store or digitally.. buuu :mad:
I am not worried, they'll change their mind once sales aren't were they want them to be.
I loved ME and ME2, but I simply won't buy something that's exclusive to Origin.

I am a Steam user, and while I am sure that Origin is a fine service I simply don't need another Steam. There are years worth of games on my backlog and while I will be disappointed that ME3 won't be available on the platform of my choice I will do the only thing I can do as consumer; I simply won't buy ME3.

I would be more willing to buy a Steam copy of a EA game under the stipulation that I will not be eligible to ever add DLC to it rather than buy from Origin and be eligible for DLC. I would have to repurchase the game on Origin to be able to get DLC.

Because I honestly don't care about DLC. The only time I buy DLC is when it comes in the form of a GOTY edition with the game.

I would be more willing to buy a Steam copy of a EA game under the stipulation that I will not be eligible to ever add DLC to it rather than buy from Origin and be eligible for DLC. I would have to repurchase the game on Origin to be able to get DLC.

Because I honestly don't care about DLC. The only time I buy DLC is when it comes in the form of a GOTY edition with the game.

It wouldn't be fair to Steam users to do that and even ignoring I highly doubt Valve would allow it.

I am not worried, they'll change their mind once sales aren't were they want them to be.
I loved ME and ME2, but I simply won't buy something that's exclusive to Origin.

I saw this theory on Battlefield 3, too. How's that working out?

They'll never feel it.

Honey badger don't care.

Will buy.

Will play.

Will enjoy.

It's that simple for me, too, and most others.

Even if I didn't stick to principles, it's just not worth paying $60 +~$60 to get all the DLCs. I can wait until things look better. There's some other good stuff I haven't yet played. Even if it's not on Origin, I won't get around to this until I first get the major ME2 DLCs.

Origin was the best thing that could have happened to EA games. I can buy them from D2D, Amazon or anywhere and guess what? They all activate on Origin.

Dragon Age 1 and 2 will be on sale tomorrow on Amazon and guess what? I will be enjoying. Sucks to be a whiner.

Uhhh you could do that with EADM well before it was rebranded as Origin. That is all fine and good as a digital download platform, but really Origin offers nothing of utility that exceeds or even matches the functionality offered by Steam.

Even if I am not playing steam games I still have it running in the background because I make use of various community features.

In stark contrast, the only time I have Origin running is when I need to download a game or when I am playing BF3 because some idiot bright spark thought that it would be a good idea to require an additional level of DRM authentication despite the fact that battlelog itself is DRM.

Honestly with all the programs that data mine Origin doing it is only an issue because it's EA.

The issue isn't so much about the capability to data-mine as likelihood to data-mine. EA has a terrible reputation and track record, so it's the most likely to use data-mining for its own ends, like selling your information to marketers and such.

Who else is data mining from the .exe? I know steam has an opt in survey, but what else?

The issue isn't so much about the capability to data-mine as likelihood to data-mine. EA has a terrible reputation and track record, so it's the most likely to use data-mining for its own ends, like selling your information to marketers and such.

Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. All the people can prove is what it's monitoring. EA doesn't have a stellar reputation and I don't blame people for being wary, HOWEVER I think in some cases it crosses the line into being paranoid.

Who else is data mining from the .exe? I know steam has an opt in survey, but what else?

Your OS to start with. It mines a lot more data than Origin and with similar and in some cases far more vague rules in the EULA. The Chrome browser, probably IE though I haven't really looked into that one.

Well yeah, when it comes to browsing habits, google is google, but I don't think they look through your operating system and file structure to my knowledge at least. And Microsoft seems to always ask users for pretty much everything that gets sent. Windows Update work and the check for legit copies of windows/office are the only automatic stuff I know of. Security Essentials will sometimes find an unidentified file and ask if I want to send it. Opt in of course

Well yeah, when it comes to browsing habits, google is google, but I don't think they look through your operating system and file structure to my knowledge at least. And Microsoft seems to always ask users for pretty much everything that gets sent. Windows Update work and the check for legit copies of windows/office are the only automatic stuff I know of. Security Essentials will sometimes find an unidentified file and ask if I want to send it. Opt in of course

For XP http://slated.org/windows_xp_eula_in_plain_english It's pretty interesting.

Who cares if ME3 isn't coming to Steam or requires Origin to run, these threads are getting old, just like when people bitched about BF3 not on Steam, not the end of the world.

There were other digital download distributors than Steam before Origin such as Direct2Drive and Amazon Digital Download. Origin is just more similar to Steam's interface. Even though Valve had a "monopoly" per se, it wasn't really hurting gamers since Steam provided numerous games at massive discounts all the time (especially the Summer and Winter sales) that beat the prices of most retailers bar none.

I disagree with this. But then I think that's due to regional pricing, mainly, or people just not shopping around. Even during the sales a lot of the games are cheaper to buy from amazon.

I'd be happy with that too, I very rarely buy DLC and I'm not interested in using origin. I'm not even especially bothered about it being on steam specifically, a simple retail release would be fine, allowing me to add a shortcut to steam.

I just don't want the origin requirement, I keep my PC clean of unwanted software and I simply don't want another distribution client.

The one thing I like about that policy is it allows Valve to put DLC on sale. EA has never and will never put the Bioware DLC on sale because it requires buying those fucking retarded point cards that they don't put on sale.
actually the points have gone on sale before. it is a stupid way to handle DLC though and many people, including myself have just skipped it because of it being an overpriced and ridiculous hassle.

I still to this day do not understand the big deal about Origin. It was a smart business move by EA. I guarantee you will not see Half Life 3 for Origin.

Alot of you are missing out on a great game because you're snobby about a distribution sytem.

BTW I only paid $20 for BF3...

Who cares if ME3 isn't coming to Steam or requires Origin to run, these threads are getting old, just like when people bitched about BF3 not on Steam, not the end of the world.

A loud, vocal minority.

Most of the rest of gamers out there are going to buy great games when they want to, enjoy them, and move on.

I still think it's pretty laughable that it's ok for one company to have a blatant monopoly because it's their beloved Valve but woe be unto anyone else to attempt something and especially if Satan's hellspawn EA.

The irony to the whole thing is: It's thanks TO Valve's success with Steam that we're going to see some of the big boys that have plenty of money and resources to blow take a spin on the venture themselves.

I have no doubt EA is going to do just fine with Origin regardless of what some loud vocal minority on some Internet forums says, thinks, or does.

Are their some things with Origin that I'd like to see refined? You bet.

But at the end of the day, folks: If the game is on my computer, where I want it to be, and I can fire it up and play it and it works right and does what I want when I want...isn't that good enough?

It is for me.

Oh well, there's no use arguing with some of these folks. They can do what they want to do to make themselves feel good and the rest of us are going to stare down some easy choices:

1.) Steal/pirate (NO)

2.) Not play said game at all and needlessly miss out (NO)

3.) Play a dumbed down version on a console when I don't have to (HELL NO)

^^ These aren't viable choices for me at all.

BTW, we've already seen Valve make the first inroads to the consoles with Steam via Portal 2.

You're kidding yourselves if you don't think EA will do the same thing eventually with Origin so you may as well start getting ready for it now.

Imitation is the best form of flattery. Valve has had resounding success with Steam and now some of the other big boys are going to go for it, too.

Some of you are these huge digital downloads zealots. Well, if we're headed for this all download world some day that I personally dread, how in the hell else do you think those games and that content are going to get to you?

I saw this theory [Not buying Origin exclusive titles] on Battlefield 3, too. How's that working out?
For me it's working out great, I didn't buy BF3 and won't as long as it's Origin only.

They'll never feel it [consumers not buying because of Origin only]
Maybe so, but my choice is still my own and that's all I as consumer can do.

Sure it is and I respect another's opinion, but the excuses from the community have seemed pretty "first world problemish". I have not not seen any real concern's.

For me it's working out great, I didn't buy BF3 and won't as long as it's Origin only.

Your loss, man.

Certainly. I just hope you have realistic expectations on the whole thing.

Sure it is and I respect another's opinion, but the excuses from the community have seemed pretty "first world problemish". I have not not seen any real concern's.

Agreed.

And again, it's ok when Valve does something but if anyone else does the same thing or wants to do the same thing and especially if it's a "hated" company like an EA then we can't have that.

Why buy games on Origin? You can get your account locked, and that includes all the games you have on your Origin account for no reason. It has happened to other people.

Why would you subject yourself to that?

Why buy games on Origin? You can get your account locked, and that includes all the games you have on your Origin account for no reason. It has happened to other people.

Why would you subject yourself to that?

Steam does this as well. What are you getting at here? If you plan to use a game distribution service, don't do anything that should get your removed from the service and you will be fine.

Origin is the love child of Satan and Nancy Grace. Only our knight in fat armor gaben can defeat it.

Steam does this as well. What are you getting at here? If you plan to use a game distribution service, don't do anything that should get your removed from the service and you will be fine.

You can have your account locked for something you say on the EA forums :eek:

Steam just bans you from the forum.

EA locks your entire account including all the games you bought and paid for :eek:

That's theft on a scale unseen since the Bernie Madoff scandal.

EA locks your entire account including all the games you bought and paid for :eek:

And this is the main reason I boycott Origin. Datamining can be fixed (read:sandboxed) if one is paranoid enough, but the banning policy is so wrong that its simply mindblowing how some can accept it without questions.

I think you're being a tad melodramatic. Though that is normal for you no matter what side of an argument you fall on. Anyway it is a major issue that they need to take care of and one they should have taken care of two years ago when they originally promised to. Valve technically CAN do it, they just don't.

Back