Mass Effect 3 demo - 2/14/12

Got early access to the 360 version thanks to a Facebook app (keys are gone now) and the demo is really good. Combat feels very solid and I really like the new skill system.

as long as it follows the pattern of ME 3 then I'm happy. Thoroughly enjoy this series but I'll be waiting for reviews before I pick this up and the fact they're releasing a demo is a great sign.

Got early access to the 360 version thanks to a Facebook app (keys are gone now) and the demo is really good. Combat feels very solid and I really like the new skill system.
I'm guessing the demo is just a non-stop kill fest?

I'm guessing the demo is just a non-stop kill fest?

Nope. There is a story section which I presume is the beginning of the game a chunk of a mission that is mostly action with a little dialog. You can even make your own character in the demo and Bioware added new eye and hair colors.

Nope. There is a story section which I presume is the beginning of the game a chunk of a mission that is mostly action with a little dialog. You can even make your own character in the demo and Bioware added new eye and hair colors.
Hmm.. well color me surprised... though that makes me less likely to play the demo as I want to get the whole thing in one chunk.

I really hope in the full game hubs aren't completely marginalized. They could certainly justify it if they want to due to the big picture story.

Out of principle installing Origin is still a hangup for me, but reading this: http://gamebanshee.com/news/106421-mass-effect-3-requires-origin-no-steam-availability.html made it not sound so bad: "reviewing the filenames in the ProgramData/Origin folder. This is an ordinary Windows function, not an information-gathering process." Also mentioned: "Users will be allowed to opt-out of Mass Effect 3 data collection from inside the game." Opt out of ME3 data collection or opt out of general Origin data collection? Is this just political speak?

I have less trust for EA, but I never said I would never put Origin on my system at least down the road. hmmm

Games as generic as hell, the sad part that is if Mass Effect was released as a book it would be considered mediocre. Only because its a game do people say that it has a good storyline. Easy gameplay? Check, Dry/boring characters? Check, Average storyline? Check.

Games as generic as hell, the sad part that is if Mass Effect was released as a book it would be considered mediocre. Only because its a game do people say that it has a good storyline. Easy gameplay? Check, Dry/boring characters? Check, Average storyline? Check.

First one had a decent storyline and decent characters...not necessarily good/great, but decent...2nd one not so much.

Unfortunately, right now most of the budget goes towards making high-quality art assets and marketing, it's rare that studio has more than a couple of people working on the story aspects of the game.

I can imagine a sci fi geek thinking this(not meant in an offensive way), but for someone who's never been into starwars/star trek etc etc. I found the story/characters interesting.... I can imagine the same story has been rehashed 100's of times in loads of sci-fi shows, but for someone who's a sci-fi virgin, I loved the hell out of it together with the characters.

I don't know why people who clearly didn't like the previous games are wasting their time considering this one. I thought 1 & 2 were great, and if it's more of the same that's fine by me. But with less planet scanning, preferably.

I don't know why people who clearly didn't like the previous games are wasting their time considering this one. I thought 1 & 2 were great, and if it's more of the same that's fine by me. But with less planet scanning, preferably.

Haters gonna hate. For whatever reason some people can't accept that not everyone likes/dislikes what they do. So when other people show an interest in something, they have to hate on it. They are annoyed that Mass Effect has been successful enough to have 3 games.

the engine in the 2nd game was awesome, character development was much better, but overall story was much weaker. i have a friend who never played the first but bought the 2nd, he thought it was fine but only played it once and traded it in.

My thing is, as a sci-fi fan, this game creates an awesome universe that the first game did a great job of introducing. it's not for everyone, but it's great for those of us who love it.

I'm interested in the 3rd game to see how the story will end. i think that knowing it's the third installment will let them take your consequences and really drive them in different directions; really widening the scope of your actions and making for interesting replay (with all of my old characters)

This game is going to be magnificent. Not sure why [H] harbors so many haters of the ME series.

I think a lot of the negativity you see is because there are many RPG fans on [H] and the second game was much less of an RPG. The first game wasn't a hardcore RPG and the second game had it's redeeming qualities but I still much prefer the first game, if the third game goes further down that path I might not even bother playing it. I also think that many people are less likely to give Bioware the benefit of the doubt after what they did with the Dragon Age series, I've been playing DA2 recently and the game is mildly entertaining but the amount of shortcuts taken and poor design decisions is mind boggling.

I'll wait until the game comes out before I make my mind up on it but with Biowares recent track record especially with how it relates to my personal tastes, I'm not too optimistic. I'm also concerned that the multiplayer component was added to try and make up for a short single player campaign.

I'll wait until the game comes out before I make my mind up on it but with Biowares recent track record especially with how it relates to my personal tastes, I'm not too optimistic. I'm also concerned that the multiplayer component was added to try and make up for a short single player campaign.
This post summarizes my concerns perfectly. I want to buy it and play it, but after some of the decisions Bioware have made with respect to the game, I have to wait and see.

I am undecided if I want to download this. I'll have the game day 1 no matter what. I don't want to spoil anything, but I really want to take the new controls for a ride.

Until recently I preferred the first game to the second. Honestly, the exciting gameplay in the second game makes up for it being less epic than the first.

Until recently I preferred the first game to the second. Honestly, the exciting gameplay in the second game makes up for it being less epic than the first.

Yeah. I can't play the original game anymore. It just isn't fun, especially the Mako.

Yeah. I can't play the original game anymore. It just isn't fun, especially the Mako.

Both ME1 and ME2 had their lemon design flaws.

-For ME1 it was the Mako, the half-baked side-quests, and the awful inventory system. But it manages to hold together

-For ME2 they "fixed" the inventory system by completely removing it for both weapons and armor basically, there's the annoying world scanning game, the side-quests are much better but all the DLC characters are flat with no dialogue outside of their quests. There also just isn't much replay value for me in ME2.

-The dialogue options in both are also meh most of the time. You're either a goody good guy, or a complete and utter dick.

-I also hate the fact they designed modding to be impossible in the games. It was an especially dickish move to hashsum the config file in ME2.

Interesting. I had no idea, but apparently the 360 Collector's Edition is sold out pretty much everywhere.
After some scouring it looks like you can still order it off of the Target website, though!

Haters gonna hate. For whatever reason some people can't accept that not everyone likes/dislikes what they do. So when other people show an interest in something, they have to hate on it. They are annoyed that Mass Effect has been successful enough to have 3 games.

I am annoyed by the fact that people still like third person cover based shooters with regenerating health. There are certain patterns in popular gaming that get way overdone and they just get tedious and unfun. The problem with ME is that they have forsaken the deeper RPG mechanics in favor of the better selling third person shooter mechanics. The fact that there are about 36 squintillion generic shooter games on the market is not one of subjectivity, but that's what the masses like, so that's what the masses get.

Those people aren't serious gamers and they don't game a lot, so they don't get as fatigued by these patterns as people like me.

-I also hate the fact they designed modding to be impossible in the games. It was an especially dickish move to hashsum the config file in ME2.

It didn't really stop anyone from modding it though once the folks who know what they are doing began to dig through the files.

I had custom hair, eyes and armor for my last ME2 run, along with Liara as a permanent member of my party all thanks to the Gibbed save editor and the ME2CoalescedEditor. Made it a more enjoyable 4th or 5th playthrough.

BW may not support it, but I'm betting people will rip ME3 apart and mods will be out there in short order.

You are right though that it would be a LOT nicer if they'd just plan for it and allow it in the first place. Sadly though, now with EA at the helm, I wouldn't expect that sort of feature in any game going forward. Not when they can charge for DLC packs of custom appearances and such.

Interesting. I had no idea, but apparently the 360 Collector's Edition is sold out pretty much everywhere.
After some scouring it looks like you can still order it off of the Target website, though!

My PC-CE preorder was placed with Amazon.com back on July 8, 2011 with a bunch of gift cards from the previous X-mas.

Sure hoping I dont regret it. (C'mon 14th you damn demo).

I'm hoping it is more like ME1 then ME2, but I'll wait until it actaully comes out. ME2 felt more like gears of mass effect to me then a proper RPG.

Back