Mass Effect 2 - thoughts, opinions?

So, does the game only reward extreme actions? You gain renegade points for the bottom option, paragon for the top option, and nothing for the middle option?

Thus, if you want to be able to persuade people, you will want to be an extremist?

Only a couple hours in, but I can think of a few....

1). Bring back the RPG-ish inventory. Maybe I'm the only one, but I enjoyed all the different armors, weapons, accessories, ammo, etc.

I understand the point of the simplification of the inventory system, but I also enjoyed the rpg aspect of the old style inventory. It also makes me sad that there really are only 3-4 armor choices (assuming collectors ed + dragon age) :(

On the flip side, I just finished the game a hour or so ago. Damn fun game, definitely going to play it thru again at least once more.

So, does the game only reward extreme actions? You gain renegade points for the bottom option, paragon for the top option, and nothing for the middle option?

Thus, if you want to be able to persuade people, you will want to be an extremist?

Well, you can always use the middle option to solve any conflict. The paragon and renegade actions are just other ways that show up if your points are high enough for that choice.

Last edited:
just finished it.. good cinematic and voice show.. I felt like it was very short and i did most everything. Really feels like a bridge game for the finale in ME3. great game but feel like it coulda had atleast 2 sorta ACTS. ya know felt like you simply get your squad and then boom u finish game. though I was surprised hwo many things orm ME1 cam einto effect even if only in a small way. eally made me wonder what my actions would do for next game.

Curious how much of a difference who u choose for what job in final mission affects overall results.

I've got me a space hamster in the captain's quarters.

Now, I'm hoping I run into a bald man named Minsc.

I guess their logic is, the kind of qualities that belong to "Earthborn" and "War Hero" are similar to the qualities of Paragons. I think it's bullshit, but I can't decide if BioWare is rewarding Paragons for choosing Paragon backgrounds, or if you're just supposed to know that Earthborn War Heroes are naturally Paragons (based on the descriptions).

I don't know, but in the first ME1 you start off with the most paragon bonus if you went spacer + war hero. I can't link the Mass Effect wikia at work because it's blocked, but there is a page on there that tells you exactly how many bonus points each starting combination gives you. I assume it is the same thing for ME2.

This game seems fun but its showing that EAs meddling might be affecting simplification of future Bioware products. Hopefully not.

IF they revert to some trash company, like Bethesda, where all their games are simplified for 12 year olds and non gamers with half-assed action shooter gameplay that isn't even done right along without having dialogue then I wont be playing any more of this comapnies games.

Really feels like a bridge game for the finale in ME3. great game but feel like it coulda had atleast 2 sorta ACTS. ya know felt like you simply get your squad and then boom u finish game.
I felt the same way, after halfway thru picking up the squad members I was hoping that there would be more to the game. I hope that ME3 has a truly epic storyline, since we'll have the group all ready to go :eek:

Curious how much of a difference who u choose for what job in final mission affects overall results.
Depending on who you choose, some people die or they don't. I've been trying to get the no one left behind achievement and I got tired of reloading saves, so I looked it up.

ya i loss one and didnt lose the other so i picked 1 right. on suicide run.

as for kelly she is cute i worked her over but think she is dead end... i banged tali went alien first game and alien again in 2nd.. .. maybe ill get that justicar in the 3rd...

*spoilerz*

you can't bang Kelly, per say, but you can make her do ... other "things"

FOV gives me a headache, and no way to adjust mouse sensitivity. Lame.

Now I have to spend time googling how to fix these things before its playable.

I thought the mouse was too sensitive at first, but I got used to it after a while. Weird how that works.

also if any one pre-ordered but hasnt actavited there DLC codes yet i got an extra Terminus Armor and Blackstorm code id trade it for an Inferno Armor code pm me

FOV gives me a headache, and no way to adjust mouse sensitivity. Lame.

Now I have to spend time googling how to fix these things before its playable.

same. it feels stifling even on 16:10, like you're riding shep piggyback instead of actually "being" the character, which I know is what they're trying to force. but there is a way to change mouse sens, if you feel like hacking your ini. I say "hack" because it's actually compiled in ruby, and the only way to change those settings and get the game running again is to recompile after editing. look here for directions:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1124188

you have to use a good editor (like notepad++), and install the ruby framework in order to do this. changing mouse sens works here, makes the game 10x better imo. this thread gets buried constantly so it's hard to find, because steam users are retards and would rather post 5 threads about the same problem than read one that has all the answers.

*edit*
- removed fov method since it didn't work as expected, sucks not being able to change it. mouse settings work fine though.

Last edited:
just finished it.. good cinematic and voice show.. I felt like it was very short and i did most everything. Really feels like a bridge game for the finale in ME3. great game but feel like it coulda had atleast 2 sorta ACTS. ya know felt like you simply get your squad and then boom u finish game. though I was surprised hwo many things orm ME1 cam einto effect even if only in a small way. eally made me wonder what my actions would do for next game.

I agree that it felt too short. The only really interesting missions were the interlude ones where you visit the colony under attack and board the collector ship (then of course the final one). Far too much of the overall game was focused on recruiting the team for one very brief mission culminating in quite literally the easiest final boss fight in the history of gaming.

Far too much of the overall game was focused on recruiting the team for one very brief mission culminating in quite literally the easiest final boss fight in the history of gaming.

Seriously! Don't want to spoil it for anyone reading, but damn that was an easy boss.

yea but Bioware games are less about the overall plot and more about the characters. That's why most of the game is recruiting or doing character quests.

the last fight was easy, but it still FELT pretty cool. and in a way I'm glad it didn't break my balls, because single player games aren't really what I go to for a challenge.

I'm guessing the squad and the consequences from the final mission will carry over to Mass Effect 3, hence the "bridge" effect a previous poster used.

ME1 had a great plot.
ME2 doesn't.

In my opinion ME2 had better core gameplay (combat especially) so hopefully ME3 will merge the best qualities of ME1 and ME2 and produce a really kickass finale.

I'm most interested to see how the different squad combinations will change how ME3 plays out. It seems difficult for BioWare to figure this one out. There's a lot of different possible combinations, depending on how ME2 ended for each game.
Unfortunately it seems like ME1 was written without any forethought to ME2 or ME3, as if it stands on its own. And ME2 suddenly remembered: "Oh yeah, we have ME3 coming after this" and started preparing TOO SOON, as if they had to catch up from ME1's losses, and the result is a story-gimped ME2. They introduce a new species which was NON-EXISTANT in ME1, so we literally know nothing about it. The Reapers play a minimal role (no role) in ME2, a lot of characters are gone from ME1 and probably won't be coming back. So they introduce even more new characters in ME2, after we went through the trouble of meeting ME1's characters. I can only hope this time they will carry over; based on the final mission, I'd say that's plausible.

So it has me asking why a lot of things in ME1 even existed? Most of them are only consequential to ME1 and completely useless for the overall story of ME.

ya i think ME was not planned to be a extended universe and sotry until they saw how well it sold the first time around.

and as for kelly i take it i need to be a renegade to get those happy endings ? or do you count the dinner thing..

Last edited:
don't think you have to be renegade... I think you just have to always choose the flirty dialogue options

I like the game alot. But I am pretty pissed they don't have planet exploration like in ME1 with the Mako. Replacing it with boring resource scanning... really? And I'm not a fan of the inventory system in ME2... or lack there of.

I like the game alot. But I am pretty pissed they don't have planet exploration like in ME1 with the Mako. Replacing it with boring resource scanning... really? And I'm not a fan of the inventory system in ME2... or lack there of.

I hated that God damn Mako. I won't miss it. Resource scanning, to me, was actually sort of a fun minigame...

As for the inventory, again, I won't miss it. ME2 is much smoother without the clunky bits of ME1.

For those of you that have beaten the game; what, if anything, carries over to New Game+? Do you keep your levels, skill points, weapons, upgrades, paragon/renegade points, and harvested resources? I'm hoping you get to keep everything, especially the harvested resources, I reaaaaaaaally don't want to do the whole planet scanning crap again.

iam curious since when u finish it offers u a chance to continue or exit to main menue.. it says evertyting will carry over if u start a new game but iam unsure how that messes with your char import fo ME3 I mean my char is a good guy so if i continu8e him and up diffacultya nd go renegade will ME3 take the first play through or the 2nd.. feel like i almost have to start over to be sure not to mess up the save for this char on the first run through

For those of you that have beaten the game; what, if anything, carries over to New Game+? Do you keep your levels, skill points, weapons, upgrades, paragon/renegade points, and harvested resources? I'm hoping you get to keep everything, especially the harvested resources, I reaaaaaaaally don't want to do the whole planet scanning crap again.

All your weapons including heavy weapons, your level and skills except for the extra bonus skill you learn from squad mate (you'll have the option to pick it at character transfer). 50,000 of each resource and 200,000 credits if I remember correctly. You need to find tech upgrades, though.

You do not get a 2nd bonus skill, only 1 like in the first play through. You'll get the keep the weapon upgrade you chose you know where.

iam curious since when u finish it offers u a chance to continue or exit to main menue.. it says evertyting will carry over if u start a new game but iam unsure how that messes with your char import fo ME3 I mean my char is a good guy so if i continu8e him and up diffacultya nd go renegade will ME3 take the first play through or the 2nd.. feel like i almost have to start over to be sure not to mess up the save for this char on the first run through

You'll keep the save file from the first play through, so you could import that or import the 2nd play through save file once you finish the game again.

ME2 is simply the best game I have ever played in a very long time. It blows away anything that comes to mind in the past 5 years...

ME2 is simply the best game I've played in a very long time because it's the most recent good game at the forefront of my mind which may or may not make it better than games from 5 years ago which I can't really remember off the top of my head.

Therefore it is the best game of the past 5 years.

Honestly ME2 was rather bad, in terms of story. We did not learn ANYTHING about the reapers, or the collectors or much for that matter. Everything was so vague, so washed out.

Polishing of the game was great, characters, weapons and etc.

Game is so much more limited than the first, ME2 doesnt allow you to run around the whole citadel.
I was so sad to see nothing come out from the Reapers, no new info whatsoever. This game was basically just a gateway into the 3rd and it didnt have anything left to wonder. ME1s story was amazing, wanted to make you find more and more, and ME2 comes along without no new info whatsoever.

No information on the illusive man, no info on the Reapers, no info on the Collectors...What was the point of it all really?

I bought the collectors edition on Steam, I had a thought in the back of my mind to wait and get the +++++++ regular for 41$...

I can honestly say that the only reason I kept playing was to see if any new epic info will be released and was sadly disappointed.

In terms of quality this game delivered, in terms of epic story line like the first it did not...sad :(

I agree on most of those. ME3 had better be a whopper of a game. I think I read from a dev interview that they want shorter turnaround for ME3 which is good and bad. Good in that we MIGHT not have to wait as long, but bad if they rush it and make it short, shallow, etc.

I've hardly advanced. :(

My character is presently standing outside of the Afterlife nightclub, which I've yet to enter. This will be my first real mission in the game - got a sore throat on Tuesday night and have been in bed with the flu ever since... I don't even know what planet I'm on... here, I mean.

The game was developed with consoles in mind. The sense of progression suffers the same fate as Bioshock's did. ME1's item system was certainly not award winning stuff, but they went to the complete other extreme by essentially completely removing the inventory system. There's virtually no sense of customization in the game besides picking your class at the very beginning. Everybody uses the same weapons at the same times. I used that stupid ass assault rifle from Omega for about 10 hours of the game before finding another one.

I said it a couple of times before elsewhere, getting a game designed around the limitations of a console for a PC is pure bullshit but seems to be the norm now, people talk about eye candy but when mechanics and content suffer by being dumbed down or restricted this much it really slams home the fact PC gamers mean nothing more then a little extra revenue to developers.

I like some sophistication and complexty along with variety and options, it's not my fault an xbox or ps3 has restrictive and dated hardware that cannot support these things....that why I built a custom rig and get really nothing more then some bonus eye candy for the investment which is quite disapointing.

Honestly ME2 was rather bad, in terms of story. We did not learn ANYTHING about the reapers, or the collectors or much for that matter. Everything was so vague, so washed out.

No information on the illusive man, no info on the Reapers, no info on the Collectors...What was the point of it all really?

This is an example of someone not paying attention during the game.

SPOILERS!
SPOILERS!
SPOILERS!
SPOILERS!

Collectors are Protheans converted over to Reaper slaves collecting humans to convert their bodies into a new/resurrected Reaper. Reapers are like Borg cubes/Geth platforms in that there are many voices in a collective but they are limited to that Reaper's "nation" or ship.
As far as Illusive Man goes he appears to just be a ultra rich human watch dog ruuning a black ops organization. Though I'm sure there is more to him that will be revealed in ME3 .

Most of this information is given to you during the final missions.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

LOL WUT you SIR have not beat ME2 have you they play a HUGE role in ME2:rolleyes:
Do you talk to Sovereign? Do you see Sovereign? Do you see any Reaper?
The "HUGE" role of Reapers you're talking about is something emphasized by the end of ME1. Now that's a role. Sovereign attached his big fat ass right onto the Citadel.

ME1 was almost entirely about the Reapers, in a direct manner.
ME2 is almost entirely about the Collectors. It only deals with the Reapers in an indirect manner, in fact the only way in which ME2 deals with the Reapers is by the simple idea that "The Collectors are working for the Reapers". Great.

The only interaction you have with the Reapers is the Collectors. I just beat ME1 a few days ago, and "Collectors" were never mentioned. BioWare introduces a new race in ME2 that had nothing to do with ME1's storyline. When ME1 was created, you could go to the BioWare offices and ask about "The Collectors" and not one person in that building will understand what you're asking. And that's my problem.

You make no progress with the Reapers, the Collectors are used as filler. They're introduced as fluff; the Collectors symbolize BioWare saying "We don't have any good ideas for the current story, so we'll make a new one".
The entire game was based off these new creatures, the original story from ME1 was almost entirely put on standby. However most of the game was squad gathering. The actual amount of "story" you have with the Collectors is minimal in the first place.

Back