Mass Effect 2 - thoughts, opinions?

Just beat the game last Night. Awesome game. Managed to have no one die in the final mission even though I had 2 squadmates that I could not get loyal. Miranda for siding with Jack in the hissy they threw and after numerous tries could not finish Thanes loyalty quest. When the Krogan disappears beneath the catwalk I'm on into seemingly thin air ? wtf ? I replayed this 3 times and he just vanishes ?

The suicide mission was awsome if somewhat of a pain in the ass. Good stuff, not quite as good as ME1's ending but good stuff nonetheless.

***SPOILERS*****

SPOILERS FOR MASS EFFECT 2
I was a bit let down by the divergence from "hard sci-fi" at the end of the game... why is Harbinger taunting me? Why do flying platforms keep bringing me closer and closer to the new reaper? So I can kill it?

The platforms don't bring you closer. You control your own platform to fly towards the reaper embryo after you finish off that first wave of platforms.

Harbinger probably taunts you because he respects you as a worthy opponent. He thinks you will lose, but still is in awe of what you can pull off. Your genetic code was great enough to beat sovereign in ME1 (for them, a specimen's quality is measured in genetic code). So obviously they have some sort of fascination with you. If possible, they would take you alive so that they can use your body.

I am so confused right now, being this is the [H]ardforums I would expect more but how are you all saying you liked this game so much? IMO its crap, what a waste of time.

You seem to be ignoring the fact that you're wrong.

Yep, he's definitely wrong. Or he's doing it wrong. One or the other...

I am so confused right now, being this is the [H]ardforums I would expect more but how are you all saying you liked this game so much? IMO its crap, what a waste of time.

That's your opinion. I love the game. To each his or her own. And what the hell does this being HardOCP have to do with whether we like the game or not ?

Just beat the game last Night. Awesome game. Managed to have no one die in the final mission even though I had 2 squadmates that I could not get loyal. Miranda for siding with Jack in the hissy they threw and after numerous tries could not finish Thanes loyalty quest. When the Krogan disappears beneath the catwalk I'm on into seemingly thin air ? wtf ? I replayed this 3 times and he just vanishes ?

The suicide mission was awsome if somewhat of a pain in the ass. Good stuff, not quite as good as ME1's ending but good stuff nonetheless.

The Krogan and the official go under the bridge, all you have to do is go throught he door. At one point the Krogan will go into a shop, so you'll have to stop and pay attention. They will also run at one point and one door you go through you'll be stopped by some guy. There's a Renegade option that lets you knock him out. It was the easiest loyalty quest. ;)

i finished it the other day, great game!

Go play Halo or something.

The assumption here that people who enjoy Halo are dumber than people who enjoy ME2.

ME2 isn't a perfect game so stop treating it as such. Most of the RPG elements are stripped out, and the loyalty missions are a fucking joke. There's NO THOUGHT whatsoever that goes into gaining loyalty. They literally tell you what to do in order to gain their trust, so then you get transported to the spot on the planet and go at it. Weeeee, that's so awesome! Then the love interests are nothing more than sex interests, dumbing down that part of the game as well.

It's well presented, but as many have said it's more like an interactive movie, which means people buying ME2 and expecting a game are going to be disappointed because it fails in that regard. Literally, it just hand holds you throughout the missions, tells and transports you were to go for the next plot point, and simplifies the whole galaxy into a linear mess.

It's definitely an interactive movie, but also a full game. There are choices and consequences. There is hand-holding, but just like every other game that comes out these days. Less hand holding than Half Life 2 for sure!

The loyalty mission concept isn't groundbreaking. But it's cool. An extra way to get to know your companions, and it proves loyalty since you do them a favor by taking time out of your own busy schedule of saving humanity and all.

It might feel empty because it doesn't require you to do 5 strait minutes of walking to get to the next place.

It's definitely an interactive movie, but also a full game. There are choices and consequences. There is hand-holding, but just like every other game that comes out these days. Less hand holding than Half Life 2 for sure!

The loyalty mission concept isn't groundbreaking. But it's cool. An extra way to get to know your companions, and it proves loyalty since you do them a favor by taking time out of your own busy schedule of saving humanity and all.

It might feel empty because it doesn't require you to do 5 strait minutes of walking to get to the next place.

Yeah... hand holding. gotta make sure the younger and/or less intelligent people get it. Im not trying to flame, its just an observation. bioware wants everyone to be able to enjoy the story, having a few game mechanics that are incredibly difficult to master is good but when its a must people just start raging.

Also want episode 3 :(

It's well presented, but as many have said it's more like an interactive movie, which means people buying ME2 and expecting a game are going to be disappointed because it fails in that regard.

No it really doesn't.

Honestly, all of the characters in ME2 felt more like baggage than assets to me. They weren't particularly useful in battle, and they didn't seem like they were "alive". Because of *what* the characters talk about, how little they have to say, and the non-linear nature of the mission system, you never get a sense that time has gone by and you're developing a relationship with a character through speaking with them. It really comes across as a poor attempt.

Game-wise, ME2 is fun. I basically ignored everything that wasn't pew-pew-shootemup, and I had a good time. Normally that's not how I play RPG's. ME2's story and sci-fi completely fell through for me, but at least it was fun to play.

Awesome game, can't wait for 3... But they should have taken another year and fleshed it out. I was not expecting the game to be so "streamlined". The main storyline quests are pretty small and short. Most of the game was loyalty missions, and they were extremely easy(Insane).

It was basically Gears of War with conversations, selectable missions and leveling. Hell they told you exactly which planets you did everything on. I doubt I'll even play it again until the third one is approaching.

The soundtrack was extremely shitty compared to ME1 as well.. Almost all of the 80's Sci-Fi synth stuff is gone.

Now that the hype has worn off, the game is certainly not what I was hoping for.

Spoiler Question

I did the Miranda loyalty quest and later did the Jack loyalty quest. When done the Jack quest you have to side with Miranda or jack, I chose jack because, well, it made sense. I loose my loyalty with Miranda. Is there any way to regain it?

Also, I hear people talk about relations with female characters. What ones is this possible with?

Spoiler Question

I did the Miranda loyalty quest and later did the Jack loyalty quest. When done the Jack quest you have to side with Miranda or jack, I chose jack because, well, it made sense. I loose my loyalty with Miranda. Is there any way to regain it?

Spoiler follow up question:

I did the other option on this, I picked Miranda and am curious about whether I can regain Jack's loyalty. Would it be possible for someone to post a spoiler-free answer?

There's NO THOUGHT whatsoever that goes into gaining loyalty. They literally tell you what to do in order to gain their trust, so then you get transported to the spot on the planet and go at it.

I did the Zaaed mission and chose to save the workers instead of leave them to die and I completed the mission but did not gain his loyalty.

Spoiler follow up question:

I did the other option on this, I picked Miranda and am curious about whether I can regain Jack's loyalty. Would it be possible for someone to post a spoiler-free answer?

Perhaps there's a different path to take, somewhere in-between.

i saved the oil workers and got zaeed loyality. it probally depends on how you defend your action.

For Zaeed, if your paragon/renegade is high enough, you can save the workers and still get his loyalty afterwards. I've done both routes - more fighting the other way, but you still end up fighting the two big mechs in that room at the end. Only difference is you get to kill the guy going the renegate route.

For Jack/Miranda - I've read that if you side with Miranda, you can get Jack back if your paragon is high enough. Can't verify, just something I read on another forum.

In a recent IGN article, Bioware stated that ME2 is like "The Empire Strikes Back". I expect ME3 to be really epic. I'm really hoping I can see what Tali looks like under that damned mask.

In the arguments, you can use Paragon/Reneade to side with no one.
You won't lose anyone's loyalty to begin with.

After Reaper IFF Spoiler

The only character I didn't gain loyalty with was legion. Do you have to let the geth live to keep him loyal? I used a red intimidate text in the conversation about uploading the code, which in ME1 made the character accept the choice, but it didn't work this time.

I am sure this has already been mentioned 1000x, but what a bummer about the gameplay, character progression, items/upgrades etc being stripped down. Feels more like a shooter than an RPG. Not to mention every single thing in the game being mapped to spacebar, yeah...

How was the first game so great even as a console port, but the second one is so dumbed down for console kiddies that the gameplay/character progression just sucks in comparison. grrrr

I am sure this has already been mentioned 1000x, but what a bummer about the gameplay, character progression, items/upgrades etc being stripped down. Feels more like a shooter than an RPG. Not to mention every single thing in the game being mapped to spacebar, yeah...

How was the first game so great even as a console port, but the second one is so dumbed down for console kiddies that the gameplay/character progression just sucks in comparison. grrrr

Not being able to customize your party's armor sucked.

That's your opinion. I love the game. To each his or her own. And what the hell does this being HardOCP have to do with whether we like the game or not ?

Well my simple point was I figured ppl here were more experienced and on point then the usual forums. ME2 lacked so much in gameplay, and the bosses? really?? the story line is that they are abducting humans to reduce them to goo to build a giant tinman? really? I traveled to an area noone has survived before against all odds and killed everything that was in my path and I am still getting the same lines from the bad guys that they were giving me in the beginning of the game? there was zero connection between you and the villain.

I could go, but its fine if most of you enjoyed it, I started to enjoy it but then that quickly dissipated.

Well my simple point was I figured ppl here were more experienced and on point then the usual forums. ME2 lacked so much in gameplay, and the bosses? really?? the story line is that they are abducting humans to reduce them to goo to build a giant tinman? really? I traveled to an area noone has survived before against all odds and killed everything that was in my path and I am still getting the same lines from the bad guys that they were giving me in the beginning of the game? there was zero connection between you and the villain.

I could go, but its fine if most of you enjoyed it, I started to enjoy it but then that quickly dissipated.

I got it on release day and I still havent finished it. An hour here or there, but I had trouble picking it up for a few days. The only thing that has kept me going back is my frustration with not getting Laaed's loyalty and loosing Mirandas.

On the squad select screen, there will be a little glowing disc under him if he's loyal..I think it's green with a red/orange edge or something? It's pretty obvious who is/isn't loyal on the squad select screen once you've got at least one loyal person.

Oh shit, I never thought of it like that. Where do you find such strong arguments?

So you agree that simply stating something does not make it so? Quite frankly I don't know where to begin to counter the opinion that Mass Effect 2 "fails as a game". Such an opinion does more to support my opinion, than any wall of text I could type out.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I got an ATI card today with the 10.1 drivers and the ME2 hotfix. I've tried forcing AA in Tray Tools as well as CCC and I get nothing. I've created several profiles, desktop shortcuts, and nothing works.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I got an ATI card today with the 10.1 drivers and the ME2 hotfix. I've tried forcing AA in Tray Tools as well as CCC and I get nothing. I've created several profiles, desktop shortcuts, and nothing works.

You have to rename the executable UT3.exe for it to work.

Darn. I've heard from several that they didn't have to rename the exe. I can't do it because I have the Stardock download version and renaming the exe causes the game to not load and it asks me to re-install. I'm definitely going boxed version next time.

Did anyone scan Uranus in the Sol system? EDI said "Probing Ur Anus"

Playing on my 2nd playthrough. First one was just a fresh one which I kinda hated since most of the decisions it automatically made was the opposite I made. This time I found my old game save on my older hard drives I had laying around and loving every second again. A friend ''hooked'' me up with the DLC's and well Zeed (Spellcheck) is my least favorite Character so far, He just feels like Bioware rushed him or might be the nothingness in his story.

I plan on finishing this run full Paragon and do the ending right, then getting the Me1 save from my friend which he had mostly Renegade and maybe choose a different relationship then Jack. Maybe Tali this time since that is the only one that has a interesting story.

Darn. I've heard from several that they didn't have to rename the exe. I can't do it because I have the Stardock download version and renaming the exe causes the game to not load and it asks me to re-install. I'm definitely going boxed version next time.

only for nvidia, because they run a profile db instead of just detecting app names, for ati you're going to have to wait for a patch.

why don't you just download the game if you already own it, then you can do what you like with the filenames. no reason you should be stuck without aa just because someone didn't feel like implementing it, there's a difference between doing the right thing and getting owned by drm.

You probably got the wrong hotfix. From Terry Makedon's twatter:

New hotfix for Catalyst 10.1 - Force AA support and Crossfire improvements for Mass Effect 2 http://bit.ly/cOpmE8

AA is now working fine for me with the default exe name.

Back