Marvel AOC-SASLP-MV8 - 8 Sata PCI-E 4x non-raid controller card

I'm starting to question those who claim to have one, I have been unable to find ANYTHING about these cards, much less being for sale. No pictures, no benchmarks, not on store shelves, etc...

I'm starting to question those who claim to have one, I have been unable to find ANYTHING about these cards, much less being for sale. No pictures, no benchmarks, not on store shelves, etc...

WERD

I just placed an order with Excel-Tech who are a reseller for SuperMicro (found them from SuperMicro's web site). They checked with SuperMicro directly for stock. I don't need it very fast so I didn't order fast shipping. Once they get the card with their normal order they will ship direct to me from their office in Quebec.

I am just starting my first storage build but will try to give a review if I get the card soon. I also ordered 2 sets of 1M cables from them for $16 CDN each.

I don't see these in distribution anywhere so maybe it's a direct order/special order part for the time being.

I ordered one from Wiredzone and just got the FedEx notice today. I was hoping they would have stock here in Florida (where I live), but no dice (it's coming from CA). According to FedEx, it should be here by April 1 (and I hope that's no joke).

This'll be going inside a 4020.

Trust me, I have them :). I am not quite sure what my motivation to lie about that would be? Like I said, I had to sort of special order them through supermicro, who setup an order through wiredzone. Clearly these aren't being released yet to normal retail channels. I haven't taken any pictures or tested them out etc because:

A) I work slowly and the server isn't all together
B) I just yesterday got the mini-sas to 4x SATA cables and couldn't use the cards until then anyhow
C) I am still trying to figure out how I am going to do a decent job of cabling the rest of the server and thus haven't done anything with the cards besides put them into the PCI-E slot :)

Because PCI-X is a dying slot, thats why... all modern mobo's have pci-e, but a fair few have pci-x that actually works well. (my 3ware 9500S-12 hates P5E WS PRO pci-x for that matter, giving 40MB/s vs. 130MB/s on an older mobo with a different pci-x chipset).

So there.

I'm looking forward to these cards, might even migrate to swraid...

Looks like you get 8x PCIe when using all 4 slots (assuming PCIe gpu) so it should be fine... I'm not familiar with the SB->NB links on AMD boards or how the PCIe slots hook up to the various chipsets. That would be only bandwidth limit I would see being a problem.

Could someone here who has or will have this card setup a mdadm raid 5 or 6 and then run this:
Code:
sudo hdparm -tT /media/array
Replace /media/array with the mdadm array directory.
Thanks

I dont think many people who use these cards use them for RAID, but I could be mistaken.

I know most of us will use them for WHS /jbod type setups.

Could someone here who has or will have this card setup a mdadm raid 5 or 6 and then run this:
Code:
sudo hdparm -tT /media/array
Replace /media/array with the mdadm array directory.
Thanks

hdparm is lame and often not accurate especially on fast arrays. Also screw raid5/raid6 as I would want to know what the card bottlenecks at. I would like to see raid0 benches and dd ran:

dd bs=1M count=20000 if=/dev/md0 of=/dev/null

dd bs=1M count=20000 if=/dev/zero of=/dev/md0
(this will wipe the data on it as it is a write test)

...still nothing yet

sad panda.... you guys really had my hopes up and my wallet excited (or crying, either way)

wiredzone says they have them in stock
i was about to snag one, but i'd need some more drives first

Wikipedia states that a PCI-E 1x 2.0 slot is capable of 500MB/s, which should be sufficient to run one of these cards provided you're not planning on accessing more than 1/2 the HDs simultaneously. A 4x board will work in a 1x slot if you cut the end of the slot out so the board fits. ;) Yes, you're limiting the max throughput same as you would with using a pci-x card in a pci slot (but a pci slot is limited to 133 MB/s so it'd still be significantly faster)

So any mobo with extra 1x slots that don't have other crap in the way (memory sticks, bios batteries, etc) can be used for these cards.

wiredzone says they have them in stock
i was about to snag one, but i'd need some more drives first

Did anyone call to confirm this? Last thing I want is to order a pile of cards and have them hold me up because they really didn't have it.

they have them. i just got 2 aoc-saslp-mv8's in today and 2 more should be coming in tomorrow... because they were direct shipped from supermicro and by mistake they sent 2 aoc-sata2-mv8's w/ the 1st order.
sm_aoc-saslp-mv8.jpg

now the question is what to do w/ them?
i'm trying to setup a dual norco rpc-3116 storage cluster. 16 drives (2x250gb+14x1.5tb) in each and i'm trying to get an os w/ native zfs support (solaris/opensolaris(nexenta),freebsd, etc); but, not having much luck getting them recognized in anything besides windows and linux. next i'll try the latest/unstable from freebsd and solaris and see if i have any more luck.

In the picture by remyzero why is there 16 leds when there is only 8 drive per card? Is 8 of them to tell you there is a drive hooked up and then the other 8 for activity?

EDIT: I was just looking around and it doesn't seem to be supported in opensolaris, I will check solaris now but I doubt it will be supported.

EDIT#2: Nope not supported in solaris either.

EDIT#3: Directly from supermicro's site:
• Windows 2003, 2008 and Vista
• RedHat Enterprise Linux
• Fedora Linux 9
• SuSE Linux Enterprise

*BSD ain't on there and neither is Solaris. For a storage pool you may need to run WHS.

i'm trying to setup a dual norco rpc-3116 storage cluster. 16 drives (2x250gb+14x1.5tb) in each and i'm trying to get an os w/ native zfs support (solaris/opensolaris(nexenta),freebsd, etc); but, not having much luck getting them recognized in anything besides windows and linux. next i'll try the latest/unstable from freebsd and solaris and see if i have any more luck.

That sucks :( I was looking at these for my opensolaris-based fileserver, but if there's no support... may just get some LSI cards instead. If only norco would make a case with a SAS expander :p

yup, they are activity lights
sm_aoc-saslp-mv8_leds.jpg

that is totally badass

Do let us know what you come up with for ZFS support on these cards. Opensolaris supports the SAT2 MV8 as of now but i've still not bought a mainboard yet so i've got options if solaris drivers are coming down the pipe for these guys. /sigh who knows...

Guys, I don't know if anyone else noticed but Tekram, Areca's US distributor, has put up a price for the ARC-1300ix-16 at $419. I assume that means they're in stock?

http://www.tekramonline.com/SAS.html

This is a PCIe 4x, 16 port internal, 8 port external SAS HBA.
It also has Solaris drivers.

It might be more expensive than getting 2 supermicros, but you only need 1 slot, you also get external ports for external SAS expander expansion, and you could use ZFS with it.

remyzero do you have benchmarks
i would be particularly interested in read speeds from one drive whilst the others are all being written to

Guys, I don't know if anyone else noticed but Tekram, Areca's US distributor, has put up a price for the ARC-1300ix-16 at $419. I assume that means they're in stock?

It might be more expensive than getting 2 supermicros, but you only need 1 slot, you also get external ports for external SAS expander expansion, and you could use ZFS with it.

This is interesting. Thanks for the heads up. Might be a better migration path for me if my existing hardware works with OpenSolaris. I don't think it does though so since i'll probably still have to buy a new board/processor the Supermicro is probably still the better choice for me ... Not sure though.

I wish they would release like a 24 port edition. $400 is getting up there in price IMO.

Just got this card from local distributor. When I was ordering it, the guy said that the stock is in Netherlands, got it in 2 days. Price was 100€ + 22€ for 2 sas-sata lanes cables.

When you mention local distributor, where is he?
I live in Athens, Greece nad European distribution seems like a nice idea.
Could you please give me some details regarding the store that you ordered yours including the cables?

Andreas

Its local distributor, he doesn't sells online. Check with your Greece distributors..

I sent their belgian outlet an email too, no reply.

BTW, Yakyb, fix your link.

Back