Marvel AOC-SASLP-MV8 - 8 Sata PCI-E 4x non-raid controller card

heh, there is no real requirement. most of the people on the list are people i talk to or attend lan events with... or when im not lazy and i see a nice build :D

As for this controller. Damn I'm excited. If anyone wants the SAT2 version, let me know, I have quite a few and I'll sell them cheaply (prob like 50 each)
Going to bring one of your servers this year? Hopefully you've registered for quakecon by now (registration opened a few days ago). I've registered...just need to book a room or two.

Going to bring one of your servers this year? Hopefully you've registered for quakecon by now (registration opened a few days ago). I've registered...just need to book a room or two.

I'm number 99, already had room and flight way before registering. lol I can't wait.

I'm number 99, already had room and flight way before registering. lol I can't wait.
Faster than me. :p
I haven't booked the room because I haven't decided if one is enough or if we'll need two (bringing about 10 people like I did last year...they're cheap though, so I'm not getting a second room for nothing).

comparison between these two adapters.
The supermicro one is much cheaper.
Does it include the cables as well?
Cause the lsi does.

comparison between these two adapters.
The supermicro one is much cheaper.
Does it include the cables as well?
Cause the lsi does.

Supermicro typically includes really good cables with their units, so I can't imagine this one not having any.

3 More days! :D

I've had the AOC-USAS-L8i for a little while and it's been working great. Obviously it was a bit of an awkward fit, but I got it working. I look forward to getting this card next for a cleaner fit and it also appears to be a bit cheaper. The mini-SAS to SATA cables make for a very clean install! :)

If I got this would my ich10r chipset see these?
Or would I be stuck with doing OS software raid.

I don't see any in distribution yet, but they're available direct from Supermicro /shrugs

I can confirm that these are technically available. I finagled my way around with SuperMicro directly and was able to get them to set me up an order through Wiredzone (you can't purchase from SuperMicro directly). As of yesterday afternoon I actually have two of these cards in my hands.

I am still building my NAS so obviously I haven't set up or tested them in any way yet, so don't ask for any data or feedback on their functionality/performance as I have no answers :).

As they come with mini-sas connectors I am going to need to find some cheap mini-sas to 4x sata connectors (4 of these) that are long enough to work in my Norco 4020. It should be interesting finding cables like that are affordable; based on some quick searches mini-sas to sata cables are fairly pricey.

I saw them on google for about ~$25 a cable when I was thinking about getting a 5405 for my daily boxen.

So they don't come with the cables or do they.
Are these controllers special items or they came in a consumer box?

What did these cost, back ordered price on Wiredzone? Did you contact them via phone or email? Whats the exact name of the cords needed to purchase with these? Links would be helpful.

I typically buy my multilane breakout cables from the 3ware online store.
They sell them for 15$ a pop. Moreover, they don't charge more for the longer (1m) cables.
You do have to pay shipping and taxes (CA) though. If you can find them cheaper at a reputable fleabay seller that might be a cheaper alternative.

http://store.3ware.com/?category=1&subcategory=3

Typically you would want the
CBL-SFF8087OCF-05M (0.5 meter)
or CBL-SFF8087OCF-10M (1 meter)

Note that SAS cables are directional - there are reverse breakout cables
and you do not want those - reverse breakout cables only work if the
HBA has individual sata ports and the backplane has a multilane sas connector.
You want forward breakout cables like the model numbers above.

One thing, the 3ware cables don't have the sideband connector,
but most consumer-level chassis (norco etc) don't have sideband
support anyway, so it's not a big deal. Sideband cable is for
failed drive LED and some other chassis management details.

@ pettakos. No they did NOT come with cables. The controllers are got were 'special items' and came in a very generic white box, in static bags with foam around them. There was a driver disc and that was it. So, no consumer packaging in sight.

@practal. They were $210 total so $105 apiece. I contacted SuperMicro via e-mail first (their sales contact) and the sales person at Super Micro put me in touch with another sales rep at wired zone. I setup the order mostly via e-mail (and got confirmations etc) but he did also call me to confirm my order once I gave him my name, phone address etc. I get the feeling they are only selling these to businesses currently so, as I said before I had to do a little creative speaking to get them to setup the order. As for the cords, I have no idea. I haven't looked into what I will need precisely; all I know is that I need mini-sas to SATA, two of these cables, 4x SATA per cable for a total of 8 SATA drives per card. I am going to check out what alamone linked and see what I can find that is affordable that meets the length requirements to connect to the backplane on a Norco 4020.

I would probably have gone this route if I hadn't already purchased my adaptec (not that I'm complaining, I'm still preferring hw raid atm).

The best price I've found on the cables is at DX (12.50 shipped) on a fluke when I was browsing the site (I didn't need them as my card came with cables). I've ordered from them in the past, just be prepared to wait a bit for shipping.

@ pettakos. No they did NOT come with cables. The controllers are got were 'special items' and came in a very generic white box, in static bags with foam around them. There was a driver disc and that was it. So, no consumer packaging in sight.

@practal. They were $210 total so $105 apiece. I contacted SuperMicro via e-mail first (their sales contact) and the sales person at Super Micro put me in touch with another sales rep at wired zone. I setup the order mostly via e-mail (and got confirmations etc) but he did also call me to confirm my order once I gave him my name, phone address etc. I get the feeling they are only selling these to businesses currently so, as I said before I had to do a little creative speaking to get them to setup the order. As for the cords, I have no idea. I haven't looked into what I will need precisely; all I know is that I need mini-sas to SATA, two of these cables, 4x SATA per cable for a total of 8 SATA drives per card. I am going to check out what alamone linked and see what I can find that is affordable that meets the length requirements to connect to the backplane on a Norco 4020.

That box description is standard for all their add-on accessories.

That is crap, they should include the cables at least or discount them enough to off-set the choice of cables.

These cables are expensive for what they really are, about 20-30 for decent cables, which adds $40-60 to the card price.

That box description is standard for all their add-on accessories.

That is crap, they should include the cables at least or discount them enough to off-set the choice of cables.

These cables are expensive for what they really are, about 20-30 for decent cables, which adds $40-60 to the card price.

Eh multilane SAS cables are like $10 at cost for OEMs (who are most likely the target market).

Eh multilane SAS cables are like $10 at cost for OEMs (who are most likely the target market).

Still an added costs. Previous cards were OEM marketed also but included a plethora of good cables.

Even at $20, this now drills into the card price, which now puts it at a 20% increase.

Still an added costs. Previous cards were OEM marketed also but included a plethora of good cables.

Even at $20, this now drills into the card price, which now puts it at a 20% increase.

For the OEM, it factors into the total system cost and $20 isn't very much. I do see your point, but we gotta keep in mind that it's slightly different for end users buying these.

For the OEM, it factors into the total system cost and $20 isn't very much. I do see your point, but we gotta keep in mind that it's slightly different for end users buying these.

Like I said, the previous were OEM destined also, but did include the cables. Apples to apples this card is 20% more expensive.

I can only hope that the cables weren't included on the initial shipments and that larger production will include them.... one can only hope.

I have seen these cables at less than $30 shipped.

So, one should add $60 to the cost of each card.
Longer cables are going to be even more expensive. :(

Not really surprised. If they included cables, you might have a backplane with mini-SAS connectors instead of 4 individual ports and then those cables would have been useless.

I would probably have gone this route if I hadn't already purchased my adaptec (not that I'm complaining, I'm still preferring hw raid atm).

The best price I've found on the cables is at DX (12.50 shipped) on a fluke when I was browsing the site (I didn't need them as my card came with cables). I've ordered from them in the past, just be prepared to wait a bit for shipping.

Not bad at all; I may order those unless I can find a good deal from a more standard retailer.

Doing some more poking around I may order:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-SAS-to-4-S...temQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262#ShippingPayment

Lots of 5, so I get 1 more than I need but for $53 that isn't bad. Not having worked with mini SAS before I assume these cables with work with the mini sas connectors the new AOC-SASLP-MV8? It doesn't mention anything about "8087" connectors on the cable pages, just " 7 Pin Data" ("Mini SAS to 4 SATA 7 Pin Data Cable."). I assume that 8087 is just = mini SAS and is a the standard/only mini-sas connector type.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
When someone gets one of these up and running can you benchmark it in raid0? I am kind of curious where the card tops out at.

I know the PCI-X version capped out at around 600 megabytes/sec read and 400 megabytes/sec write so I would expect at least that much.

That's a decent price for a lot of 5 - about $12 a piece.
I ordered from NSIoutlet before for a lot of 20 SATA 1M extension cables,
although they shipped em in split shipments due to stock shortage, I got
all 20 cables eventually within the week and they all work fine.

I use the 1M extensions with 1M minisas breakout cables to basically use
the norco 4020 as a JBOD, with octopus cables snaking out of my main case
and extending into the norco from empty pci brackets. It works fine, but it's
a bit messy and I can't really move my case around or I might discconnect
the cables accidentally.

I'm planning to replace that with a SAS expander, but I was having problems
with it working on my raid card. I got a different raid card and I read some info
that jumpering SATA drives to SATA1 150 mode helps, so I'll try that.

This card is just what I have been looking for! It is about time a cheap PCI-E sata controller came out. Hopefully we can get this soon! Anyone else from Canada looking to get one of theses?

That's a decent price for a lot of 5 - about $12 a piece.
I ordered from NSIoutlet before for a lot of 20 SATA 1M extension cables,
although they shipped em in split shipments due to stock shortage, I got
all 20 cables eventually within the week and they all work fine.

I use the 1M extensions with 1M minisas breakout cables to basically use
the norco 4020 as a JBOD, with octopus cables snaking out of my main case
and extending into the norco from empty pci brackets. It works fine, but it's
a bit messy and I can't really move my case around or I might discconnect
the cables accidentally.

I'm planning to replace that with a SAS expander, but I was having problems
with it working on my raid card. I got a different raid card and I read some info
that jumpering SATA drives to SATA1 150 mode helps, so I'll try that.

Yeah I decided to order the cables from NSIOutlet, the price was just too decent for 5 minisas cables.

On a slightly related note I did do some build work on my Norco 4020 box and both the cards appear to work (though obviously I wasn't able to use them as I have no cables). I see the staggered spin up messages correctly and the drivers from the Super Micro disc installed just fine under WHS. Now I just have to figure out how the hell to do a good job on the power cabling to the backplane for the Norco 4020 case with my Corsair 850W PSU; it looks like a mess job.

Yeah I decided to order the cables from NSIOutlet, the price was just too decent for 5 minisas cables.

On a slightly related note I did do some build work on my Norco 4020 box and both the cards appear to work (though obviously I wasn't able to use them as I have no cables). I see the staggered spin up messages correctly and the drivers from the Super Micro disc installed just fine under WHS. Now I just have to figure out how the hell to do a good job on the power cabling to the backplane for the Norco 4020 case with my Corsair 850W PSU; it looks like a mess job.

Check this thread for Norco 4020 power connector mods.

anyone have any more news on these cards?
does anyone know of any benchmarks
how many of you own them?

Back