Mars Probe Landed On Ice?

HardOCP News

[H] News
I get so excited every time I hear about the possibility of water on Mars. Not so much for the scientific aspect of it…I just like posting this picture of water on Mars:

"It's the consensus of all of us that we have found ice," said Peter Smith of the University of Arizona, Tucson, as he talked to reporters in a conference call only six days after Phoenix landed safely from Earth. "It's shiny and smooth - it's absolutely astounding!"

Lets hope this "water" is consumable.

hmm, I don't know. Maybe its the "land on the moon" conspiracy but there's something on that pic that doesn't look real. I bet its photochopped. :D

Mars Rover: Initiating search for life...
Mars Rover: Scoops ice/soil sample into collection tray...
Mars Rover: Sample.001 identifying...
*BOOM* DECEPTICONS DESTROY!??!?!

I just hope that if we do discover alien life, that they have a pc capable of playing crysis flat out.

I just hope that if we do discover alien life, that they have a pc capable of playing crysis flat out.

I just hope they have cheap property, I'm ready to move.

I just hope they have cheap property, I'm ready to move.

Our currency is worthless there though. You'll need to find something else to pay for property and it seems that water may not be that thing :)

Mars Rover: Initiating search for life...
Mars Rover: Scoops ice/soil sample into collection tray...
Mars Rover: Sample.001 identifying...
*BOOM* DECEPTICONS DESTROY!??!?!

Phoenix isn't a Rover its a lander, big difference...;)

what this means is basically, Mars is habitable. i bet within 300 years we have colonies and cities on mars. i bet by then we will even be able to alter the atmosphere enough so that we can walk around outside on mars with very little protection.

even more exciting- Enceladus (one of saturn's moons) is COVERED in ice, and it even shoots water vapor into space! this is the #1 place to look for REAL life in space. Also, another one of saturns moons, Titan, has enough methane gas to replenish our depleted earth thousands of times over. methane may very well be the fuel of the future...

Yes, I know. I was linking it more with the scene from transformers. ;)

what this means is basically, Mars is habitable. i bet within 300 years we have colonies and cities on mars. i bet by then we will even be able to alter the atmosphere enough so that we can walk around outside on mars with very little protection.

even more exciting- Enceladus (one of saturn's moons) is COVERED in ice, and it even shoots water vapor into space! this is the #1 place to look for REAL life in space. Also, another one of saturns moons, Titan, has enough methane gas to replenish our depleted earth thousands of times over. methane may very well be the fuel of the future...
heh.. that would be nice, but very highly unlikely. The mars atmosphere would have to undergo a monumental change. Monumental is an understatement.

However, small experimental colonies or research labs could be possible. Still that would be the largest task ever taken up in the history of man. Just to get people to mars it would take several deployments of multiple rockets, hundreds of tons more in payload than what was needed for the moon. It would need totally new designs and means of transporting people with gravity enabled rotating sections of the craft. Getting all the equipment there to start building things from the raw materials of mars is a whole other challenge.

Heh, you are assuming that human civilization still exists in 300 years. If anything, being able to move to Mars, will just be a place for humans to make more wars :)

Heh, you are assuming that human civilization still exists in 300 years. If anything, being able to move to Mars, will just be a place for humans to make more wars :)

It will exist, except everyone will be either chinese, indian or latino :D:D

I'd be honored to bring wars to the surface of mars. Interplanetary war FTW.

Now we just need to fix that space elevator and we should be all set.

Watch out for them zergs, they will tear up your terran base while you are still setting up, only option is to make your buildings fly away to your buddies base!

Anywho, we wont die out. Its more a question of how long it will take us. If we totally screw our civilization by letting it collapse then it could be a while. If we learn to become more efficent, the expansion into the cosmos can happen much sooner.

obviously the first thing they need to be sure and take over are the chainsaws. everyone knows you can't survive on mars without a chainsaw... and for the love of god, get some decent flashlights!!

methane may very well be the fuel of the future...

Only if we use less energy going to titan, extracting the methane, and delivering it back to earth than we get from the methane itself. By the time we do have a means of getting a net gain in energy, we would probably not need the methane anyway.

obviously the first thing they need to be sure and take over are the chainsaws. everyone knows you can't survive on mars without a chainsaw... and for the love of god, get some decent flashlights!!

There is a flaw in your logic. You forgot the duct tape :p

Outside of scientific outposts and crazy gazillionaries, why would we bother to spend that many resources to make a civillian base on mars when we havn't bothered to make a base on the moon?

Outside of scientific outposts and crazy gazillionaries, why would we bother to spend that many resources to make a civillian base on mars when we havn't bothered to make a base on the moon?

Read up on the dangers of moon dust. That's the single most prohibiting factor of sending another man on the moon, much less a colonial space port.

Because moon = big rock

Mars = big red rock

Makes sense yes?

Outside of scientific outposts and crazy gazillionaries, why would we both the spend that many resources to make a civillian base in America?

Maybe not 100% the same, but expansion is vital to our survival as a species. Think of how different life would be if we never left Europe.

Outside of scientific outposts and crazy gazillionaries, why would we both the spend that many resources to make a civillian base in America?

Maybe not 100% the same, but expansion is vital to our survival as a species. Think of how different life would be if we never left Europe.

Umm... he didn't say why should we go to mars instead of staying on earth... he said why not the moon vs mars?

Reading FTW!

Read up on the dangers of moon dust. That's the single most prohibiting factor of sending another man on the moon, much less a colonial space port.

I wouldn't say that. Nasa said that they could use lint rollers to solve that problem. Also, it's not like they run outside of their suits or have exposed electronics.... it's basically statically charged dust.

Actually, we need a moon base to harvest Helium-3. There's enough up there to power the earth via fusion reactors for hundreds of years. Helium-3 is a prime fuel for fusion reactors because of the limited radiation penetration that causes damage to proposed fusion reactor designs.

Can someone explain to an idiot like me why there are no color pictures? There must be a reasonable explanation but I can't figure it out. I keep thinking all that state-of-the-art tech and no color camera? Sorry if the answer is obvious..

Can someone explain to an idiot like me why there are no color pictures? There must be a reasonable explanation but I can't figure it out. I keep thinking all that state-of-the-art tech and no color camera? Sorry if the answer is obvious..
Different type cameras that might be multi-purpose.. also they can't really whitebalance properly on mars as accurate. Most of the color pictures you see are artificial color or enhanced color anyway. Not only that, but they might just want to get these primary pictures back fast, and transferring them takes quite a bit of time. They can save file size and time transfers using B&W.

why don't they just put a bottle of water on one of them rovers and when it lands poor it out mystery solved there is water on mars.

why don't they just put a bottle of water on one of them rovers and when it lands poor it out mystery solved there is water on mars.

Thats cheating

But what would be funny as hell, if the lander put some bottled water on the surface, and sent a message back saying, LOOK I FOUND WATER...

I bet there would be some good laughs. :D

Last lander took black and white pictures immediately and forwarded them to mission control... apparently it has to do with speed of uploading them. Last time the color pictures came in after a while.

Umm... he didn't say why should we go to mars instead of staying on earth... he said why not the moon vs mars?

Reading FTW!

I was basically saying, if it isn't worth it to go to the moon, why bother go to Mars. So your 1/2 right.

Back